performance magic or necessary condition?

Hi there!

I was thinking about a potential character. I have had several mages in mylife as amplayer and storyteller tell stories while casting spells at once to ilustrate what they do. (the most recent case was Marcellus in the Light of Andorra saga: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/e-mail-verification/172/1).

While this is extremely cool and fitting (IMO) having a strong magical component while being low intensity magic (I like this kind of stuff) it is extremely hard when it comes to actually doing it if you run the hard numbers. You are rarely using the appropiate words and gestures to start with, and rarely you have the exact spell designs to ilustrate your story (so you must spont). That means that in most cases the performer would fall unconscioous after a minute or 2 of telling the story. Not very climatic :laughing:

Now, this made me think about a character based on performance magic. However, I staterd to envuison him as a storyteller that HAD TO tell a story in order to cast spells. Basically he would describe what was happening and it would happen :wink: The first image I had of him (mentally) was saying in a low tone from a shadowy portal "and then, he fell dead" and a nearby noble collapsing in the middle of a reception. :open_mouth: That marks him as an antagonist for my players to me, but that is a side point.

Do you think it would be appropiate to combine performace magic (storytelling) with necessary condition: telling a story/describing the facts?

I guess the answer is yes, but I prefer to make sure I am not overdoing it :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Xavi

Marcellus is still in the game, hiding out in his ice-chamber sanctum, brooding on the fact that he is slowly becoming more akin to the Frost Giants. You are welcome to do walk on cameo apperances any time you want :smiley:

But in any case, I would also say yes. I think the idea is pretty good. I like it when you can combine Virtues & Flaws into a well intigrated concept.

Stylish. And yes, definitely appropriate. Add Story Magic from HoH:MC for a sinister touch of the not-so-fair folk... "things always happen this way in stories - and not all stories have a happy ending."

THREADOMANCY!!!! (hope it is allowed)

I am in the process of designing this character for my "Diaries of Erinn" project. You can find it here https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/the-diary-of-erinn-rules-development/3372/14

Unfortunately I do not have HoH:MC since my FLGS is not so friendly after all :frowning: and has not brought it to me as much as I have asked for it. May I ask for a description of what does the ability Story Magic does even if not the actual hard numbers? It is to see if the ability fits the project or it has some restrictions that it leaves it out for this character.

Cheers,

Xavi

Considering it's your thread to begin with, I'd say we'll forego the usual drawing and quartering.

The character prepares a charm (as per Charm Magic - something that gives you a casting bonus if the target or effect symbolically matches the charm, e.g. "red" "winter" "axe" "magus" "Cuchulainshound" "drawing and quartering"...) and can then use it to trigger a story effect. The storyguide is supposed to weave in the game, at short or longer term, something that fits the charm.

Briefly put, and probably overstating things a bit, if you prepare a poem describing Cuchulainshound being drawn and quartered in winter, Charm Magic gives you a bonus if you recite it when casting a spell related to Cuchulainshound, being drawn and quartered or winter. Story Magic may cause a situation related to Cuchulainshound being drawn and quartered in winter (maybe he accidentally insults someone who order him drawn and quartered, maybe someone looking like him is drawn and quartered, maybe people talk about it, maybe a painting representing such a scene is found, etc)

Interesting idea.

Dunno if it would really fit my character though. I suppose I will have to get my hands in MC before deciding for sure. I guess I will have an "expendable virtue" just in case I decide to change it when I get the book.

Cheers,

Xavi