[Peripheral Code] Updated: Issue #2 is Out!

As for Ars magica 5th ed entering Winter...IMHO I'd rather call it Autumn: The line is at full power! You can run sagas using the full extent of the published material, with as much or as little you want to pick and mix from - no new things will be published to cause discrepancies. The community is still active. The game is (likely) not grown stale yet, as there should be material not used much yet you can experiment with.

Just sent in my submission. This is my first time writing for a magazine--I'm nervous but excited!

Ave Sodales, how can I send You my article ? Does have it to be in a particular format ? .doc file ? .txt with tags ?

Hello!

Avenger, I received the Court of Roses last night and am eager to include it. I'll write you back soon.

Cathelineau, you can email a Word file to me at jason.tondro@gmail.com!

Bought it, looking forward to allocate some time to reading it!

A question for future contributions.
What is the etiquette on using information found outside the Core rulebook? Examples might be using detailed faerie or demon design from RoP:F or RoP:I, pulling in an NPC from Magi of Hermes or Antagonists, using the rules for a Hermetic Breakthrough in HoH:TL or discoveries from Ancient Magic, etc?

I see a few different ways to handle this; which one is preferred in terms of etiquette?
-We could use strictly (or mostly) the rules found in the core rulebook. When making a faerie antagonist, for example, just assign powers that seem appropriate, don't worry about Highly Cognizant or Pretenses, etc. Upside is that it doesn't goof up anyone who doesn't own the book in question. Downside is that it doesn't encourage people to buy more books and contribute to the line.
-We could simply use the rules found in any other sources. "This counts for 8 points towards the Grigori Ancient Magic" or merrily give terms such as Personal Power, Narrowly Cognizant, Soverign Ward, etc. Upside is that people with these books feel glad they bought them, downside is that people without the books may be a bit lost. This could be mitigated by saying "A quick summary for those not using RoP:F", etc.
-Middle ground would be something like "If you are using Realms of Power: Faerie, he is narrowly cognizant and has Soverign Ward: onions." If you don't have this, assume he has a limited knowledge that he is a fearie who needs certain things, and that he's repulsed by onions. Upside is that it splits the difference, downside is that it can bulk up the article quite a bit without adding much since you're saying the same thing two ways.

What is generally the preferred method, both for Peripheral Code and for supplements in general? (This is my first submission to an RPG zine and the floodgates are breaking open :slight_smile: )

It's a good and fair question. There are a lot of rules spread over 40 books.

Writing for a fanzine is a largely thankless task. We're all writing for Ars not because we're getting paid, but to participate in the "meta-game," to use Timothy's phrase. The game of making the game. In other words, we do it for fun. So, that being said, if someone wants to write an article for PERIPHERAL CODE and they want to quote rules from three different books, I'm going to let them. If they would like to provide optional rules for people who don't have all the books, that's great but not at all required. Likewise, if they'd like to give short summaries of the relevant rules, that's brilliant. This last is what official Ars books do.

As an editor, I have no problem using books from throughout the line. Indeed, having all those rules at hand in a complete and "finished" system is one of the bragging rights of 5th edition. But if an author wants to not use all those rules, that's fine too.

I hope that helps.

One thing that might be worthwile, if you decide to ignore some of the rules, would be to mention it right from the start. If, for example, you design a faerie without using RoP:F, then simply say so.

That will help those who decide to use the material; they will know whether they need to adapt it to suit their saga.

Yes, that's a good point. Thank you.

Did you manage to get a copy? And if so... What did you make of it?

Glad you found a copy and even better that you liked it.

One of my favourites, both to have worked on and to have read afterwards.

Hey there! Wanted to bump this thread. Is there a schedule on when the next issue will come out?

I saw this on drivethrurpg and bought it a week or so ago, not surprised to see that it was made by people whom I recognized from the forums. :wink: I liked it. :slight_smile:

Second issue has all its contents, and is ready to go to layout. So, Soon (tm)!

Great news! Does this mean you'll soon have time to post writeups of further sessions of the HBO Ars Magica campaign? Need my fix! :smiley:

HBO has been on hiatus since the end of season two. It will return! But not soon enough to be Soon (tm).

Sounds great!

Is it ever more sooner ?

Now it is :wink:

I'm very happy to say that the second issue of Peripheral Code is out! You can download it here: rpgnow.com/product/214432/Pe ... ummer-2017

This issue is 53 pages and includes our first adventure, "The Mutability of Otherworldly Fortunes," which is set in the port town of Barfleur in 1220. Barfleur also gets detailed treatment, providing a useful resource for Storyguides. Other contents include:

• Ars Magica solo play, rules first proposed and developed here on these forums by Chris Quin and Ezechiel 357 respectively.
  • Cathelineau's alternate rules for Fairy character creation.
  • The Court of Roses, our first entry in the Antagonists column. by Jim Mangiameli.
  • The second ring of Verditius the Founder, by Vincent Garcia Gomez.
  • And more: Magi of the Order (a Tytalus magus, formerly of Jerbiton), Illuminations (the Book of Szabo), and the Black Cloaks, elite shield grogs of House Tremere.
    Contributors are getting a copy sent to them as I write this.

There are two ways to preview the issue at the link I provided: one is a "quick preview" which uses Flash. Another detailed preview will open a PDF. Both provide the first 6 pages. Some people have reported problems getting the preview to open on RPGNow; I have uploaded it to Google Drive here: drive.google.com/open?id=0B_HDU ... kJHR21KbFU