Professor Catrina of Merinita - Development

I took both of those effects (slightly renamed) from Magi of Hermes.

Oops. My goof. I should have known better. I'll fix that.

The Face of Paris
PeCo 14
Pen +0, unlimited uses/day
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
This razor, although blunt, will remove any and all body hair where it touches the skin of a human. The item has no penetration built into it, so a magus has to suppress his Magic Resistance while shaving. Aurulentus’ wife had always complained that his beard growth was too strong; after a twilight experience his facial hair growth increased manyfold and Aurulentus invented this lesser enchanted device to keep it under control.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +10 levels unlimited uses)

[Magi of Hermes, page 24]

[hr][/hr]
Phantasmal Troupe
CrIm 15
R: Voice, D: Conc, T: Ind
Creates illusionary music from a direction that the caster specifies. A full troupe of musicians can be simulated in this way, with a finesse roll determining the quality of the music. Aurulentus uses this spell to amuse his wife and children. It was originally invented by his parens, Altus, with the same motivation.
(Base 1, +2 Voice, +1 Conc, +2 change at command, +1 intricacy)

[Magi of Hermes, page 22]

Do you have these entered into MetaCreator? Did I see that you had that? If so, I'll PM you my email address so you can let me see your character and items (makes it easier to check the math on me).

Magi of Hermes is probably one of the worst books as far as having different interpretations of the rules result in a vast array of spell possibilities. I lean towards the conservative.
Phatasmal Troupe is problematic. The Guideline is create a sound, and the +1 for intricacy allows for creating either beautiful music from a single source or an intelligible voice (not noise). And the insert on page 144 says, "In addition, very intricate images (for example, an intricately ornamented bridge) are generally one level of magnitude higher as well" suggests that at least one more level of intricacy is required, but I lean towards it being +2 for Group... I'll let the troupe opine, but we're needing at least +1 magnitude for more intricacy or +2 for Group.

The hair is definitely a T:Part, and an error in Magi of Hermes, although it isn't in errata. A later, similar example is in Apprentices, The Clerics Pate and that uses T:Part. T:Ind would remove all the hair on a person, which is not the goal.

I'll see if I can squeeze the extra BPs into my build. If I can't, I'll drop an item. I can only afford so many 'color' items. I've already spent 82 BP on them. :slight_smile:

Okay, edited. That's an extra 6 BP.

I just hope I don't regret this when the vampires attack! :stuck_out_tongue:

The three years at the school:

1268/Spring: move laboratory
1268/Summer: set up laboratory
1268/Autumn: Learn Aura of Enobled Presence MuIm10 (Lab Total = 48)
1268/Winter: Teach Magic Theory to Gwydion (+22 xp, go to level 5)
[Age 89, Aging roll: 1d10=8, 8-18=-10, no rise in apparent age, gain 1 Warping Point]

1269/Spring: Instill Circling Winds of Protection CrAu20 (12/day, talisman maintains conc.) into talisman (Lab Total = 44; accumulate 15/29, 3 vis) [also +4 travel]
1269/Summer: Instill Circling Winds of Protection CrAu20 (12/day, talisman maintains conc.) into talisman (Lab Total = 44; accumulate 29/29) [also +2 Intellego]
1269/Autumn: Explore Hévíz and the surrounding areas, 5 xp Area Lore: Hévíz (score to 1)
1269/Winter: Learn Hermetic Instruction from Ancel
[Age 90, Aging roll: 1d10=8, 8-18=-10, no rise in apparent age, gain 1 Warping Point]

1270/Spring: Learn Bind Wound CrCo10 (Lab Total = 50)
1270/Summer: Learn Hands of the Grasping Earth ReTe15 (Lab Total = 38)
1270/Autumn: Hunt for students
1270/Winter: Hunt for students
[Age 91, Aging roll: 1d10=3, 3-17=-14, no rise in apparent age, gain 1 Warping Point]

Edited to account for aging, since I forgot that aging was a stress die w/o botch instead of a simple die.

Edited to add talisman and bracelet of invisibility.

So I think I have this set, but I wanted to make sure. Being 64 years out of gauntlet, Catrina would have 320 BP, 32 of which could be taken as vis.

Of the 320 BPs, she's spent:

[table][tr][td][center]227[/center][/td] [td]Magic Items[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]30[/center][/td] [td]Lab[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]32[/center][/td][td]Vis[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]289[/center][/td] [td]TOTAL[/td][/tr][/table]
That leaves her with 31 left to spend.

She has 32 BP of vis = 160 vis, she's spent:

[table][tr][td][center]9[/center][/td] [td]Longevity Ritual[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]27[/center][/td] [td]Talisman[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]36[/center][/td] [td]TOTAL[/td][/tr][/table]
That leaves her with 124 vis left over.

Do I have that right so far?

Just as long as you understand it's not 17 pawns (and I think you do, I'm just saying this with an abundance of caution), but 17 build points of vis. Note, you don't have to spend it as vis, either. You can buy other things with it, just that you cannot have spent more than 32 build points as vis.

I suggest getting your hands on some tractatus that you'd might like to read.

Catrina's actions for spring and summer:

1271/Spring: Invent Lifting the Dangling Puppet ReCo15 and Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand ReCo5, (Lab Total = 41)
1271/Summer: Invent The Call to Slumber ReMe10 and The Snap of Awakening ReMe10, (Lab Total = 41)

[size=150]Final BP Purchases[/size]

On the Use of Smells in Illusions Im tractus Q11

Creating Mixtures of the Four Elements Cr tractus Q11

The Limits of Destruction Pe tractus Q13

The Uses of Granite in Earth Magics Te tractus Q8

43 BP in tracti

This leaves 20 BP for vis = 100 vis
35 vis spent, as noted above.
This leaves Catrina with 65 vis

Let's call it:

• 30 Im
  • 10 Co
  • 10 Vi
  • 5 Cr
  • 5 Me

I realize that while I worked up Catrina's labs, I don't think I ever posted them. So here they are.

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]PRIVATE LABORATORY[/size]

Catrina’s laboratory and sanctum are located in a small tower on the school grounds. But it rarely looks like itself. Catrina typically enchants it to look like an oak tree, a hovel, a nice cottage, a menhir, a large statue, a faerie tale tower, or even a stone wall.

Size: 0 [500 sq. ft.]
Magic Aura: +4
Refinement: +3
General Quality: +9
Upkeep: +3
Safety: +4
Warping: +0
Health: +1
Aesthetics: +5

Virtues
Dedicated Building – tower (Free Structure): +1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Rego
Familiar – Gwydion (Free Supernatural): +8 General Quality, +2 Safety
Highly Organized (Free Outfitting): +1 General Quality
Lesser Feature – mirror (Minor Structure): +1 Aesthetics, +1 Imaginem
Opulent (Minor Outfitting): +1 Upkeep, +1 Health, +2 Aesthetics, +1 Teaching
Servant (Free Outfitting): +2 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Mentem
Superior Lighting (Minor Outfitting): +1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Imaginem, +1 Texts

Flaws
Disguised – entrance is often hidden (Free Structure): -1 Aesthetics

Specializations
+2 Imaginem
+1 Mentem
+1 Rego
+1 Teaching
+1 Texts

Features
Mirror (Lesser)

[hr][/hr]
[size=150]TEACHING LABORATORY[/size]

Catrina’s teaching laboratory is located behind a hidden door in the school’s main building. It is comfortable and well-furnished, with a gallery running around the perimeter where students can observe experiments.

Size: 1 [650 sq. ft.]
Magic Aura: +4
Refinement: 0
General Quality: +0
Upkeep: +0
Safety: +2
Warping: +0
Health: +0
Aesthetics: +0

Virtues
Servant (Free Outfitting): +2 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Mentem

Flaws
Disguised – entrance is hidden behind an illusion (Free Structure): -1 Aesthetics

Specializations
+1 Mentem

Features
None

1 xp from Febricus's thread for 1271: +1 xp in Hermetic Instruction