Professor Catrina of Merinita

I bought all my spells using the 40xp per year less 10xp per season for Talisman/Familiar/etc. Some of my spells had to be spread out over two years' of work...it's hard shopping for magic when you're a double-plus woman.

Got it. I'll just stick to the basics and try not to get sidetracked. :slight_smile:

I'm getting closer. I think I've pretty much got the advancement down. Now I need to move forward and take care of BPs, familiar, and lab.

Remember, I wanted to see snapshots every 10 years. Also when you make a LR, if doing it yourself.

I've got a spreadsheet with each year planned out, and I'll go through it step-by-step. I'll enter it all through Metacreator just to make sure. I've also got the overarching themes of each decade written up to show the character's story arc.

Okay, working on spending BP and building lab. That's lead to two questions:

1.) How do I deal with Personal Vis Source?

2.) What are the BP costs for building a lab?

Thanks.

I was hoping that you would see that Personal Vis Source is... unnecessary, as you can start the saga with quite a lot of vis by the character design guidelines. And once play begins, you're going to be paid rather well in vis for every season you teach. Not only that, you can use the build points to design magic items of your choosing (you can be the inventor, too, if your lab total can support it) effectively expanding the amount of vis. If you're pressing me for an answer, I'll have to ask what Art of vis, and more about the source you envision. Is it of her body? Is it something she can relocate, if not part of her body?

You can convert up to 10% of your build points into vis. A character 30 years post gauntlet can have up to 75 pawns of vis, less whatever they spent during their development. Keep in mind that you can never have more than 10% of your build points as vis, at any point during development. So, if you were 6 years post gauntlet, you would be able to have ([5 bps/year * 6 years]*.1) 3 build points worth of vis.

The build point costs for building a lab are detailed in Covenants, insert on page 114.

I"ll drop the vis source. That frees things up for a different virtue. Easy enough.

You've teased your character for a bit. Can we get a peak under the hood?

I posted the entire character from start to finish in a separate Development thread.

Ahh. You adopted Marko's style. I didn't catch that. And I somehow noted that my notifications for new topics somehow was reset on this forum.

Only things that jump out.

Faerie Magic is not a specialty of Faerie Lore, it's the practice of Hermetic magic blended with Faerie Magic. They are separate abilities. You'll want to reallocate some XP to account for that.

Imaginem probably isn't the best Art for specializing Parma Magica, as a lot of what it can do can be done in a way that isn't resisted. This probably applies to Penetration, but I didn't do a detailed look at your spell list. Anyway, if she isn't specialized in Imaginemen for Parma Magica, her Im MR is 42, with the specialty it's 47.

Can you edit your spell list on the sheet to include the Mastery ability score and list out all the mastery abilities, similar to what Fiona did, although PB didn't include the mastery score.

The Faerie Lore (Faerie Magic) was meant to simply say that her specialty in Faerie Lore is knowing what sorts of things Faerie Magic can do, etc.

She should have Faerie Magic 1 somewhere. I had pointedly kept it low, since she resisted it for so long.

I'll change Parma Magic at your suggestion. Probably go with Mentem.

I'll definitely reformat the spells into a table and add mastery info. It was late when I posted stuff and I didn't have the energy.

I'm not sure I can buy into a Merinita with Faerie Magic based Mysteries avoiding Faerie Magic for 60+ years.

Keep in mind, that the vis limit is increased by 2xFaerie Magic if only Faerie vis is used.

She didn't resist it for 60 years. She resisted it for 20, finally succumbed, went along at a steady pace for 20 years, then jumped in headlong where she's been for about 20 years (roughly).

So she has three phases of her life: (1) the time when she tried to be 'normal;' (2) the time when she tried to balance her mysteries and the normal life of a magus; and (3) the time when she gave up on being normal and embraced the weirdness of a Faerie Magic lifestyle. The three phases are meant to be about equal.

Thanks for the observation on Faerie vis. I may want to fiddle around with numbers so that I get more Faerie Magic.

:unamused:

Yea, in looking back, I realize that it was only after I finished the whole character that I remembered I needed to buy Faerie Magic. So in my 2am mind just tacking it on seemed a good solution.

Upon reflection in the light of day, going back and doing the work to fit it in properly is probably better.

Yeah, it's why I wanted to see snapshots, so I could cover mistakes like this that pop up. I make 'em myself. Often.
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Mastery info added.

So how will lab upkeep work? I'm uncertain as to what the past effect would be (BP cost) and what the future effect will be (are we being paid to teach?)

Any guidance would be appreciated.