Proposed Companion: Vincent Vercettius

[strike]Vincent Vercettius: Time-Lost Roman Centurion (reference Grogs, p. 133-135)
Characteristics: Int +1, Per -1, Com +1, Pre +2, Str +3, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik +0
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping: 1 (5)
Confidence: 2 (5)
Virtues: +2 Improved Characteristics (x2), +1 Educated, +1 Privileged Upbringing, +1 Puissant Leadership, +1 Second Sight, +1 Self Confident, +1 Unaffected by the Gift, +1 Unaging, +1 Warrior
Flaws: -3 Ambitious, -3 Pagan, -1 Dutybound, -1 Foreign Upbringing, -1 Warped by Magic (Susceptible to Warping), -1 Worthless Abilities
Personality Traits:
Reputations:
Combat:
Dodge: Init +0. Atk n/a, Def +3, Dmg n/a
Grapple: Init +0. Atk +4, Def +4, Dmg +3
Gladius (& Infantry Shield): Init +1. Atk +10, Def +8 (+12), Dmg +8
Pilium (& Infantry Shield): Init +2. Atk +8, Def +6 (+10), Dmg +8
Thrown Pilium: Init +0. Atk +7, Def n/a, Dmg +8
Soak: +5
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wounds: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Artes Liberales 3 (rhetoric), Animal Handling 2 (dogs), Athletics 3 (marching), Awareness 3 (in battle), Bargain 2 (haggle), Bibracte Lore 2 (regio), Brawl 3 (grapple), Carouse 3 (stay sober), Celtic 3 (Gaul), Charm 2 (wit), Etiquette 2 (military), French 2 (slang), Folk Ken 2 (soldiers), Greek: Classical 4 (Koine), Guile 2 (prevaricating wordplay), Hunt 2 (tracking), Latin 5 (cursing), Leadership 5+2 (in battle), Magic Lore 2 (regiones), Medeterranean Area Lore 2 (Roman empire), Philosophiae 2 (metephysics), Profession: Soldier 5 (legionary), Roman Army Lore 3 (legions of Gaul), Second Sight 2 (regiones), Single Weapon 6 (gladius), Survival 3 (in group), Stealth 1 (sneak), Teaching 2 (martial abilities), Theology: Roman 1 (Mars), Thrown Weapon 4 (pilium)
Equipment: gladius (1), infantry shield (3), breastplate (3), pilium (1)
Encumbrance: 0 (Load 8 = Burden 3, minus Strength +3 = 0)
Background: Vincent Vercettius was a Roman Centurion serving in a Legion in Gaul. He led the men under his command to (something to do with ancient Bibracte), and they all became lost in the Magic Realm. After a mystical oddessy lasting an indeterminate length of time, in which Vincent esperienced many adventures but lost all of the men under his command), he finally found his way through the regio back into the mundane world.
This happened to coincide with the Hermetic Tribunal held at the thematically reconstructed Roman villa. It may have been coincidence or sympathy, or perhaps both. Shocked, lost, and confused; Vincent was determined to overcome the struggle that the fates set before him, and he endevoured to persevere.
Interestingly, it is not that difficult for an achronistic and magically warped Roman to remain inconspicuously observant within a covenant of Hermetic magi. Especially after the tribunal. He merged in amongst the custos pretending to be a new recruit. Fraternizing with those who spoke Latin, he passed himself off as once having served a covenant of Roman obsessed magi in a distant land (explaining his odd appearance and manners).
But this could not continue much longer, his ambitioous nature would not allow him to remain a mere "shield grog". He has approached the magi of Mons Electi, telling them his tale, and offering his services.[/strike]

The IX Hispana, by any chance? :slight_smile:

I think the 'blending in with the covenfolk' part is somewhat problematic, since it assumes most of the covenfolk, as well as the magi who deal most with covenfolk (Alexei, Tranquillina, Jacques, etc) are stupid and/or blind. Tranquillina regularly looks for spies, as does Stultus . perhaps we can adjust the timing?

Also, you may find these inspirational. Or perhaps not. YMMV.
poetryloverspage.com/poets/k ... imini.html
poetryloverspage.com/poets/k ... rions.html
poetryloverspage.com/poets/k ... thras.html

I'm not sure how Dutybound is going to work in the character's context. What duty does he have? Rome and the legions are gone. Or does he consider The Byzantine Empire 'Roman' enough?
When was he lost to the Magic Realm? Was he a centurion under Julius Caeser during his campaigns in Gaul? I don't have an issue with him being lost for over a thousand years. He could have become lost in a part of the Magic Realm where a year was like a thousand. I have to review Grogs for Warped by Magic... The Susceptibility to Warping seems off, maybe his Warping score needs to be slightly higher to account for it? I don't know. I might be remembering the flaw incorrectly, too.

His arrival should probably be adjusted a bit, because it presumes many people aren't paying attention to security, and that is decidedly not the case, given what players have said. Consider I could have just snuck Cumhachd into Tribunal city, and ensconced her therein, and while that would have changed the character of the story's beginning, the overall effect would have been the same. Someone is going to notice this guy hanging around for a year, I can't see how he can fit in very well. There's a chance that he could point to Stultus as being his magus, but that's kind of thin, and would be up to cunningrat, too. Point being, there are a few Mons Electi grogs, but the bulk are primarily brought with magi or are well known to Jacques as part of the former grogs of Astingani (is that right, too many names!).

With a warping score of 1, he should probably have another Flaw point, and it should probably, if his origin is a sudden appearance in the Tribunal City be thematic to the Art of Rego somehow...

What's the context of his introduction to play? I'm concerned about this character being taken on Roberto's story for multiple reasons. Primarily that he and Roberto should develop an adversarial relationship due to this character's Pagan flaw, and both being Self-Confident. Couple that with Roberto's Recklessness and Overconfidence, this character needs to save Roberto's bacon when he gets in over his head. :smiley:

Many excellent points I did not consider. This is all just a rough draft written up in a single sitting late last night (or to you daywalkers, early this morning; the nocturnal habbits of work stay with me on my days off).

As for Dutybound, it is more of a personality trait of being dutiful. Duty changes with circumstance, but being dutiful is a constant. Serving as a soldier and doing his duty as such is in his core. So, he feels compelled to seek out military service. And here we are, a group of Latin speakers in need of a military commander (a turb captain) :slight_smile:

Warped by Magic is one of my small contributions to the grogs book :smiley:
Basically, all it does is gives you 5 Warping points and allows you to learn Magic Lore. Since you start witha Warping Score of 1, you must choose a Minor Flaw, and I picked Susceptibility to Warping. Something else might fit better.
He doesn't stay unnoticed for long. It could be that he steps forward or is called out, either way works.

Dutybound means he will save bacon when bacon needs saving, regardless of differences. Saving bacon is his duty. Vincent is a professional. Roberto has experience dealing with pagans on friendly terms. He is devout, but not dogmatic or pious. There are pagans here at Mons Electi that he gets along fine with. Back in Novus Mane, half his sodales were pagan (Aleianus, Iolar, & Havlard).
However, if you allow Vincent to take Pagan as a Minor Personality Flaw instead, that would work out better. Some othet V&F's can do with rearranging as well. I struggled to hard to overload him with XP. He should have some residual magical effects from his Magic Realm adventure maybe.
What year is he from? I do not know. Left it open to be flexible. I am trying to fit him into Bibracte's ancient history. Was it the XIIIth in Gaul? How late were they there?
Vincent might not even be the best suited for Roberto's story. But he would be an excellent addition to our covenant. Tou have Alexi with his knightly/cavalier approach, and Roberto with his almogavar/paramilitary approach. Then Vincent comes along and teachus how the Roman Infantry did things back in the day, reforms the turb along legionarre lines.

Good poetry :slight_smile:

That's not Dutybound, as the flaw is described. Dutbound is being bound to a code of conduct without believing in the underlying code. It's like people going to Church out of some sense of obligation or because they fear how they look if they don't, rather than actually believing in Christ/God. I use that as a simple example. So, my question with regards to Dutybound is what his code of conduct is. What is he compelled to do that he doesn't feel he wants to do, and what reason compels him (and going to Church would be a really bad one for this character :smiley:).

My own quirk. I often used it to signify one who places their duty above all other concerns, even to their detriment.
If he can switch Pagan to being a Minor Personality Flaw, then we can skip Dutybound and instead look for a different Major Flaw.
Characteristics: Str +2 (instead of +3)
Virtues: +1 Educated, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Latent Magic, +1 Privileged Upbringing, +1 Premonitions +1 Puissant Leadership, +1 Second Sight, +1 Unaffected by the Gift, +1 Unaging, +1 Warrior

Flaws: -3 Age Quickly, -3 Ambitious, -1 Foreign Upbringing, -1 Pagan, -1 Warped by Magic (Heroic Personality), -1 Worthless Abilities

All the XP Virtues stay, for they are all things that make sense for this guys background. Want to reduce Age to 35 though. My thinking is that he and his troops became lost in the regio when he was 30, he returns alone five years later but 500 or more years have passed. A major effect of this time-warp is that he now ages quickly. He is also Unaging, but Decrepitude still builds up twice as fast and he will die at a much younger age.
Reduced Pagan to a Minor Personality Flaw, but this can be dropped & swapped. He may come from a later Roman era and be an early Christian.
Unless you guys think making him a member of the XIIIth under Julius would be super cool :slight_smile:
Premonitions is how he survived, Second Sight developed as he found his way home, and Unaffected by the Gift is an effect from becoming familiar with intense magic exposure.
Dropped Self Confident in favor of Latent Magic, which allows him to take the Heroic Flaw of Heroic Personality.

All is in a state of flux...

Coming back around to this, Pagan is normally a major story flaw, but, to be honest, it's one I'm having trouble with, since I eliminated the on-site church on top of Mont Beuvray. I've pushed the Church far enough away from Mons Electi to focus on other things. Although, there is some possibility of bringing it into play, it's a bit harder for me to do so effectively with a companion than it is with a magus, like Korvin. If jebrick (or anyone else) doesn't have a problem with treating it as a minor Personality flaw, while his is a major story flaw, I don't see a problem with it.

From reading the flaw, they treat Pagan as true Faith in that you will be punished if you break from it. It is one of those story flaws that should be variable. If it were in a town or city then it would come into play a lot. JL could make the covenant folk not like Korvin just because of it. I play Korvin as if this were the case or at the very least he tries to have a buffer between the folk and him. The companion might not have that buffer. It would be may for forefront. The key point would be why would Roberto want to have a unredeemable pagan that he deals with all the time and calls friend?

I kind of skirted around the question :smiley: . I do not mind that is a lesser story flaw but I do question why Roberto would want him as a friend ( as opposed to Marko).

I think that this character isn't intended to be a companion for Roberto, but to the covenant generally, or perhaps a magus in particular. Korvin is an ideal friend for this character to cultivate, given they are both pagan. I'm sure, given his Mercurian background that the form of paganism he practices is nominally Roman.

And who knows, maybe such a character only appears when the need is greatest, like, about now in Korvin's story he drops out of nowhere and in the middle of a battle... :smiley:

My general philosophy is that Player X's magus and Player X's companion should ideally not be friends - or, at least, be different enough that they tend not to participate in the same stories. That's my read of the intent of letting each player have characters of different types: so that they are more likely to have a character appropriate for a particular story (maximum width of participation), rather than having multiple characters involved in a given story (depth of participation).

One thing we've done in our tabletop that worked very well.

We said that "the companion you play may not be associated with your magus", since the other way made it hard to justify leaving one of your characters at home when the other one went on an adventure. We also heavily encouraged the building of in-character crosslinks, so the companion you play would be designed to associate with another player's magus. Made it much easier to have a 'balanced party' and not have a herd of magi running along on every adventure.

We do that as well but with PbP the players come and go so making a companion FOR a mage when either you or the mage might not be here in several months/weeks/days is a pain.

PBP has all kinds of advantages and disadvantages, and the way I've run PbP, with multiple concurrent threads tend to focus action on the magi (and maybe i'm just more interested in telling stories with magi in them, it's a reader's choice as to whether this is an advantage or disadvantage). One of the problems I saw in almost all of the nominally failed PbP games hosted here on the Atlas site was that a player would drop out suddenly, and it would pause action indefinitely, and it would force the SG to play the PC until the conclusion of the story. This method allows me to operate with any number of trapdoors where I can remove an absent player from a saga with a bit more ease than not. That's not to say that I can't create locking points in the plot with specific characters, that still happens, but I can now more seamlessly transition those pots to other characters. Until Cumhachd came to the forefront in the latest story, and before amul had to exit the saga, Somnifer, from Lapis Crudus, was intended to be my Exemplar of Mentem, well, I guess he still is now. :smiley:

In Novus Mane, we tried to specifically create companion characters for each other's magi. Jebric created as Roberto's companion, a giant blooded failed apprentice that thought he was a friar. I created Dragor, a wicked awesome Dhampir blooded companion for a Tremere magus. The player of said magus disappeared after only a few weeks, but I continued playing the mismatched companion for years.

As for Roberto, I shall not create a companion specifically designed for him. I am holding out hope that Marcello may return someday :smiley:. I did toy with the idea of an Almogaten (a Mercenary Captain), but felt that was too much. Vincent is designed for the covenant.And as such, I welcome lots of input :slight_smile:

If you want to play the Roman centurion then bring him along. He can hang with Korvin who he might think is a Murcurian priest :stuck_out_tongue:

[strike]Second Draft...

Vincent Vercetti: Time-Lost Roman Centurion (reference Grogs, p. 133-135)
Characteristics: Int +1, Per -1, Com +1, Pre +2, Str +3, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik +0
Virtues: +2 Improved Characteristics (x2), +1 Educated, +1 Privileged Upbringing, +1 Puissant Leadership, +1 Second Sight, +1 Latent Magic, +1 Unaffected by the Gift, +1 Unaging, +1 Warrior
Flaws: -3 Ambitious, -3 Servent of Bibracte, -1 Foreign Upbringing, -1 Temperate, -1 Warped by Magic (Heroic Personality), -1 Worthless Abilities
Personality Traits:
Reputations:
Combat:
Soak: +8
Abilities: Artes Liberales 2 (rhetoric), Animal Handling 1 (dogs), Athletics 3 (marching), Awareness 3 (in battle), Bargain 1 (haggle), Bibracte Lore 2 (regio), Brawl 3 (grapple), Etiquette 2 (military), Folk Ken 2 (soldiers), Greek: Classical 4 (Koine), Guile 2 (prevaricating wordplay), Hunt 2 (tracking), Latin 5 (cursing), Leadership 5+2 (in battle), Magic Lore 2 (regiones), Medeterranean Area Lore 2 (Roman empire), Philosophiae 2 (metephysics), Profession: Soldier 4 (legionary), Roman Army Lore 3 (13th Legion), Second Sight 2 (regiones), Single Weapon 6 (gladius), Survival 3 (in group), Stealth 1 (sneak), Teaching 2 (martial abilities), Theology: Roman 1 (Mars), Thrown Weapon 4 (pilium)
Equipment: gladius (1), infantry shield (3), lorica hamata (4), pilium (1)
Encumbrance: 0 (Load 9 = Burden 3, minus Strength +3 = 0)
Background:
[tab][/tab]Vincent Vercetti was a Roman Centurion, an officer in the 13th Legion under Julius Caesar during the Gallic wars. After defeating Vercingetorix in 52bc, Caesar stayed at Bibracte during the winter (dictating his famous Commentaries on the Gallic Wars). Vincent was placed in command of the city, which thrived under his leadership.
(still working on backstory)[/strike]

Vincent Vercetti: Time-Lost Roman Centurion (reference Grogs, p. 133-135)
Chronology: 77bc Born; 52bc (age 25) Served in the XIIIth Legion alongside Julius Caesar, victorious in battle during the Gallic Wars, then appointed commander of forces in Bibracte; 47bc leads a small force of men to explore the regio (Magic Realm) and adventures for 5 years (but 1274 years passes in the mundane world); 1228ad (age 1305/35) emerges from the regio in the modern world, the lone survivor of his expedition and marked by the Spirit of Bibracte as her servant
Virtues: +2 Improved Characteristics (x2), +1 Educated, +1 Privileged Upbringing, +1 Puissant Leadership, +1 Second Sight, +1 Latent Magic, +1 Unaffected by the Gift, +1 Unaging, +1 Warrior
Flaws: -3 Driven, -3 Servent of Bibracte, -1 Foreign Upbringing, -1 Pagan, -1 Warped by Magic (Heroic Personality), -1 Worthless Abilities
Personality Traits: Dedicated +5, Loyal +4, Brave +4, Pragmatic +3, Pagan +2
Reputations:
Combat:
Soak: +8
Abilities: Artes Liberales 2 (rhetoric), Animal Handling 1 (dogs), Athletics 3 (marching), Awareness 3 (in battle), Bargain 1 (haggle), Bibracte Lore 1 (regio), Brawl 3 (grapple), Carouse 2 (maintain composure), Etiquette 1 (military), Folk Ken 2 (soldiers), Greek: Classical 4 (Koine), Guile 1 (prevaricating wordplay), Latin 5 (cursing), Leadership 5+2 (in battle), Magic Lore 2 (regiones), Medeterranean Area Lore 2 (Roman empire), Philosophiae 2 (metephysics), Profession: Soldier 4 (legionary), Roman Army Lore 3 (13th Legion), Second Sight 4 (regiones), Single Weapon 6 (gladius), Survival 3 (in group), Teaching 2 (martial abilities), Theology: Roman 1 (Mars), Thrown Weapon 4 (pilium)
Equipment: gladius (1), infantry shield (3), lorica hamata (4), pilium (1)
Encumbrance: 0 (Load 9 = Burden 3, minus Strength +3 = 0)
Background:
[tab][/tab]Vincent Vercetti was a Roman Centurion, an officer in the 13th Legion under Julius Caesar during the Gallic wars. After defeating Vercingetorix in 52bc, Caesar stayed at Bibracte during the winter (dictating his famous Commentaries on the Gallic Wars). Vincent was placed in command of the city, which thrived under his leadership.
But there were many strange and supernatural features of the land, which the conquored Druids refused to explain and the Mercurian Priests could not understand. There was the fountain, the shrines, the (other thing) and (that thing too). But was was most curious is that, on certain nights, phantom images of another city could be seen from certain angles. Other townsfolk, strangers, would be seen then disappear. What is more, some claimed to have walked around a corner in the fog to only find themselves in another realm for a few moments. Those who told this tale also say they walked backwards three steps to emerge in the terrestrial realm. But there were a few that disappeared forever.
Not everyone could see it, only those said to be gifted by the gods with the Sight. But there were a score of others who could percieve and confirm this phenomenon. Victor was one of them. The Druids had no explaination, other than it began only after Caesar camped here and has grown slowly ever since. The Mercurian priest theorized that it was a spirit of Regium, an omen that through Caesar, Rome would rule the world. Vincent was determined to understand this mystery, and formed an expedition to explore it further.
He recruited a dozen brave explorers, himself being the thirteenth. He even convinced the Druid and Mercurian to cooperate and join the expedition, each conducting their individual spells and rituals to contact spirits for guidance and make markers to locate home. He also recruided ten of his soldiers that were brave enough to challenge the unknown. Two of them shared the gift of Sight as well.
What ensued was a fantastic adventure of exotic triumphs and tragedies. Vincent cannot explain the magical metephysics of the situation. But he can speak of many strange lands and distant realms. His followers fell away one by one, some dying heroic or ignoble deaths, others finding new destinies in new mystical homelands. Vincent himself was almost lost forever in a pocket of infinity within an eternity.
But the spirit of Bibracte pulled him from the void, choosing him as her servant and champion in the mortal world. More years than a dozen centuries have passed, the old city was in ruins and a new one grew in it's place (Mons Electi). Commanded by Bibracte, Vincent is dedicated to the protection and prosperity of these people.
Now all he has to do is convince them to let him do so.
Bibracte warned him that the world has changed and new customs prevail, but those he was to serve spoke Latin, and with the gifts she has given him he would earn their trust. They can easilly earn his, for the Gift bothers him not. But will he earn theirs, and will he prove his worth? And will he succeed in protecting Bibracte/Mons Electi from the forces that loom threateningly against it?

I don't have any major problems. I've recently begun thinking about Unaffected by the Gift...
I'm not entirely convinced it's a Virtue, or at least see a way it could be disadvantageous to the owner of said Virtue.
Consider competing bargain rolls with someone with that virtue and a magus. Magus is going to get better deals, how is that good for the character with that virtue?
I can see other opposing social situations which become more advantageous for the magus, too.