Question: Can 'Firelight' be a range?

Thank you for reminding me why I usually ignore you.

I for one love your ward item, very stylish. I'd allow it no problem but build it slightly differently, say
Range: Touch
Duration: Sun
Target: Firelight

Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Firelight, Final level 10.

And restrict the item to cease working if moved, covered or someone moves into/out of the light. No need for a breakthrough.

ArM p 114 middle column last paragraph: "Formulaic spells, on the other hand, can be invented with ranges, durations and targets that are not listed here. This is usually slightly more difficult than if the closest category were used, but is largely left to storyguide interpretation." So I'll consider this a Circle target (which is usually +0), +1 magnitude for non-standardness.

Making it movable I might require a minor breakthrough for.

This is a fascinating discussion!

I actually just realized that there would be another interpretation, using sensory magic. Range: Touch, Duration: Sun, Target: Firelight (Vision). If we assume that an illuminating device is 'seeing,' we can use target 'Vision' as a range guideline. This would be treated as sensory magic, as if a mage were casting a Vision spell upon himself. Substitute the item and this could well work.
I am grateful for the input, as always. I love posting to the board.

And with wards, the Target is the protected thing/person/area, not the thing warded against. (Also on ArM5 p 114) So either way it works, though I don't think sensory magic can be put in items without a breakthrough. (Lazy peon's parma)

Second post in this threa - the very first answer.

NB:
T: Vision only works with magical senses (InFo) spells.
Using Sensory magic, this would be T: Spectacle.
Also note that items cannot be enchanted to use Sensory Magic Targets (HoH: MC, p. 28, DireWolf not withstanding), but if the device is non-Hermetic anyway you can just ignore that detail.

Isn't this the infamous Noble's Parma?

yes, and I think I'll opt out, since trying to voice that a difference of interpretations obviously (as usual) is a major source of disagreement. This only made things worse (well, usual rather). I give up.

Great idea, and run it the way your troupe decides is best/fun. I'd love to use this in an effect.

2c: it feels like a Target to me, rather than a Range, and I'd only require a Hermetic breakthrough if you wished it to not pay an additional +1 mag complexity tax for use in hermetic effects. As I don't have the source books for advanced rules (such as Sensory Magic), I tend to stay on the simple approach.

applause for making yourself look so petty.

And here I thought the Berklist was all but dead...