Ranulf from MoH now 150 years post apprentice!!!!

Round 1 Ranulf casts PoF along with patient spell requiring an int+ concentration roll of ease factor 9, his int is +2 and his conc. score is 6 with a specialization in spells.

Round 2 Ranulf sponts a perdo (rego) ignem on the pillum of fire as he releases it from the Patient Spell also requiring an intelligence + concentration roll of ease factor 9. His perdo(rego) Ignem casting total is 62. level 30 has got to be enough to get a PoF down small enough to light a candle, so unless he botches something he'll be able to do it. :smiley:

Edit: forget the spontaneous spell, he can do it with Discriminating Flames, he'll cast a full strength pillum that won't affect wax.

Which reminds us of the age old question...

"If a Flambeau lights a candle in the dark, do the grogs still go up in flames?"

Wouldn't that simply obliterate the wick without really lighting the candle?

probably

Ok as far as a higher level attack spell here are some ideas:

Simple and highest damage

A choice that gives him an option aside from heat for damage

An option that came up earlier in the thread and that can use a similar spells bonus

And this one which is my favorite, Ranulf could work overtime and mornings in order to get the spell to level 50 and do an extra +5 damage but I don't see him making the effort for a combat spell that isn't Pilum of fire

But I've created a way for him to go beyond theses spells by going back to Pillum of fire, it involves some weirdness with triggering items again but not nearly as messy as the pendent of patient incantations. Of course I'm out of time again. I'll try and get back this afternoon.

For those spells, I don't like the second one which is a PeIg, with a creo aspect of "cold fire" which would require a +1 muto requisite at least :wink: with an additional magnitude for the perdo additional effect.

Otherwise, it's seem more like an attempt to use the focus on a cold spell :wink:.

I agree with the dislike. The basic idea is that you cannot "create" cold -- you can only destroy existing heat. The combination is PeIg without requisites. Now, you can certainly have a spell that freezes the target for a certain amount of damage, with the "cold pilum" being purely cosmetic, but then I'd agree that the Focus should probably not apply.

The one thing I do not agree with is the implied assertion that creating an object with unnatural properties requires a Muto requisite -- it's usually just +1 to +2 magnitudes.

Oh, yes, posting before 6 am always involves a greater than normal risk of screwing up.
I notice that it has the wrong name as well

Which of course it is, but it should be seen as an in character attempt by Ranulf to capitalize on his strengths rather than an attempt by me to do the same.

Interesting to see that you use Touch range there. IĀ“ve always been a bit uncertain about what really is proper with something that you still control at much greater range.

And... That spell made me want to create an attack spell of kamikaze chickens... :mrgreen:
Oh dear, now you made me think about a "killer rabbit" attack spell as well... :blush:

Certainly a good choice.

Potentially useful. Certainly a nice touch to have such a spell.

ThereĀ“s really no good reason to say that you cant make fire that is cold, just as you can create warm ice.
And with the Focus as unnatural fire, well thatĀ“s rather perfect. The focus is NOT on heat.

The muto is there because he's creating a magical heat absorbing fire. The fact that a spell to freeze a target could be done with Perdo Ignem and no requisites is really immaterial. I'm not sure it should even have a Perdo requisite.

That's really my gripe. You do not need Muto as a requisite to create an "unnatural" substance. That's very clear from the RAW.

Where do you get that from ezzelino?

Creo says: "creo magic makes things that exist independently into better things of their kind, which includes bringing them into existence from nothing. Things that exist independently are called "substances" and include people, tres, and rocks, but do not include colors, weights, and sizes."

Muto however: "by using muto, a magus can grant or remove properties something cannot naturally have"

Quite clear.

A fire is naturally hot. This, you need muto to do a cold fire.

Rise of the feathery body and enslave the mortal mind seem similar.

I need to say how fast the owl-fires can move however. I made the walls of fire move as quickly as a running man I like the idea of having the fires fly as fast as raptors that are doing the avian equivalent of sprinting. I'm not sure how that would translate into paces per round at the moment.

From the Creo guidelines of e.g. Aquam or Terram.

If guidelines oppose what creo can do, the guidelines are wrong :wink:

Here's a thought for beyond 90 years: Ranulf's non-combat ignem spell list is basically as complete as he'd want it. He could look at food production or healing or something he can't presently do through ignem but I can't imagine him finding a solution that works better for him than doing things in a straight forward way. Even with Major magical focus and ignem 34 it makes more sense to heal a person with creo corpus than to transmute him or her into a living fire and then heal it with a creo ignem ritual.

But he still loves ignem and he has always loved pillum of fire despite a general distaste for combat spells.So this is where he's going next:

He instills the following effect int his talisman:

Then he uses a linked trigger effect
to do mass
Boreal flames to make the pillum of fire spells he casts cold, and a muto ignem spell of preposterously high level to make the targeted Pof spells incredibly hot (remember that items can have non-ritual effects of >level 50 if the effect itself doesn't warrant a ritual) and a spell MuCoIg to change them into pillums of bone.

The issue is that he'd want to use both a linked trigger (so the effect gets triggered when Ranulf casts PoF) and a normal trigger related to how the staff is held (so the staff produces the correct effect).

There are no examples of items which require two triggering effects to work but I don't see it as a problem to do. Should it require another 3 levels or not? I'd think not.

The Creo aquam and terram guidelines in the core book (p 121 and 153)do not contain any reference that I see to creating unnatural liquids. What specific guidelines are you referring to?

And from here.

Well since it's not part of the book and it opposites what creo is able to do, i prefer it is not in the book :smiley:

On p.121 I read:
"Creo Aquam (CrAq)
Water created temporarily quenches thirst, but provides no lasting
benefits to the drinker. It can be used to wash, and the thing washe stay
clean.Slightly unnatural liquids are one magnitude harder than water,
very unnatural liquids are two magnitudes harder."

On p.153 I read:
"Creo Terram (CrTe)
Creating earth in an elaborate shape or with some unnatural properties is
one level of magnitude higher than the listed guidelines."