Ranulf from MoH now 150 years post apprentice!!!!

That doesn't mean that you would be doing an exception to the requisite of muto, which would be accurate since those are at +1 magnitude as well, since they are not free.

Honestly, there is no muto requisite! When doing something requires a requisite, the guidelines say it explicitly.

Huh, I guess I just read the guidelines that had numbers in front of them not the opening paragraphs.

perhaps a better spell would be:

But I'll agree with Exarkun that it doesn't seem to jibe with the definition of creo. Regardless I'm going to put Parliament of Fiery Raptors on the final character sheet for Ranulf + 90 as my choice for his work in the last season of the 15 year period.

I'd love to hear thoughts for or against the doubly triggered talisman effects.

I don't think that this fits the setting. immaterial spirits are just that -things that forms that don't have material in them. They're not in some sort of ethereal state but in the real normal world just sans any elements.

I wanted to do this before I posted the +90 character sheet. It's a list of most of the sensible combinations of spells Ranulf could put together by mixing and matching his spell list.

It would be of use for looking at the versions of Ranulf in MoH as well.

Topiary of flames and Mindful Talisman are invested effects in his Talisman

Assumption of the Fiery Mantle (MuCo(Ig) 35)
Enduring Flame (MuIg 10)
Boreal Flames (Mu(Pe)Ig 15)
Flames of Stone (MuIg 30)
Petite Phoenix (Mu(Re) Ig 30)- he can fly! I didn't realize that
Discriminating Flames (Re Ig 25)
The Carpenter of Flames (ReIg 30) he can fix ripped clothing?
Flames that Leap Leagues (ReIg 40)
Flames that Leap Across the Earth (ReIg 45)
Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi 40)
Topiary of flames

Coat of Prometheus (CrIg 5)

Wizard’s endurance (Ignem) (MuVi 40)
Wizard’s Boost Ignem (MuVi 30)
Wizard’s Reach Ignem (MuVi 30)
Wizard’s Expansion Ignem (MuVi 25) (only warm part of something)

Flash of the Scarlet Flames (CrIg 15)

Mien of Helios (CrIg 15)

Fasting Hearth (CrIg 20)
Eyes of Flame (InIg 35) (with an AC)
Enduring Flame (MuIg 10) (perhaps wizard's endurance to moon, if you don't use the errata)
Boreal Flames (Mu(Pe)Ig 15) (perhaps with a wizard's endurance to make it last longer)
Petite Phoenix (Mu(Re) Ig 30)
Parade Ground of Conflagrations (ReIg 30)
Unified Flame (ReIg 35)
Unraveling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 45) he has to be able to turn it off (especially if he's got enduring flame on it)
Topiary of flames

Pillum of Fire (CrIg 20)
Boreal Flames (Mu(Pe)Ig 15) not necessarily with patient spell
Flames of Stone (MuIg 30) with patient spell
Discriminating Flames (Re Ig 25) with patient spell
Group Wizard’s Boost Ignem (MuVi 30)
Touch Group Wizard's Reach (ignem) (MuVi 30)
Wizard’s endurance (Ignem) (MuVi 40) flame thrower?
The Patient Spell (ReVi 20)

Self Immolation (CrIg 30)
Topiary of flames
Boreal Flames (Mu(Pe)Ig 15) (perhaps with a wizard's endurance to make it last longer)
Wizard’s endurance (Ignem) (MuVi 40) but only with a similarly extended protection spell
Unraveling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 45)
If only he could cast his wizard's boost vim on his level 30 wizard's reach then he could put it through his intangible tunnel but that would involve three spells at once, he'd really need a higher level Wizard's reach to do it.

Stockade of Infernos (CrIg 40)
Topiary of flames
Mindful Talisman
Eyes of Flame (InIg 35) (by moving the walls with Parade Ground of Conflagrations/ Flames that Leap Leagues /Flames that Leap Across the Earth this could in theory have some utility)
Conflagrative Servant (Cr (Mu,Re) Ig 40)
Topiary of flames
Unraveling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 45)
Veil of Invisibility (PeVi 20)
Parliament of Fiery Raptors (Cr(Re)Ig 45)
Eyes of Flame (InIg 35)
Enduring Flame (MuIg 10)
Veil of Invisibility (PeVi 20)
Unified Flame (ReIg 35)

Tales of the Ashes (InIg 5)
The Patient Spell (ReVi 20) he could do it with opening the intangible tunnel to cast tales of the ashes the same round that he casts intangible tunnel

Eyes of Flame (InIg 35)
Wizard’s endurance (Ignem) (MuVi 40) unless you use the errata

These three are basically the same
Consummate Transformation of Fire (MuTe(An,He, Ig) 40)
Transformation of Fire (MuTe(IgHe) 40)
Transformation of Fiery Steel (MuTe(IgHe) 40)

Eyes of Flame (InIg 35)
Enduring Flame (MuIg 10)
The Carpenter of Flames (ReIg 30)
Unraveling the Fabric of Terram (PeVi 40)

as are these four
Dreadful Bane of the Fae PeVi 15
Sap the Griffin's Strength PeVi 20
Sap the Griffons Strength PeVi 10
Demon's Eternal Oblivion PeVi 15

Wizard’s Boost (Vim) (MuVi 35)
The Patient Spell (ReVi 20) -get two copies off in the same round

Why?
The tunnel allows him to cast touch or higher range spell through at arcane...

Because I didn't reread opening the intangible tunnel before I posted that's why :blush:

I'll edit my list

Ranulf +90 years

Characteristics: Int +2, Per –2, Pre +1, Com +0, Str +1, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +1

Size: 0

Decrepitude: 0

Warping Score: 7 (15)

Confidence Score: 2 (6)

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift ; Major Magical Focus (Unnatural Fires); Affinity (Ignem), Mastered spells, Method Caster, Puissant Ignem*, Puissant Magic Theory, Puissant Penetration, True Friend (Artisano); Deficient Technique (intellego); Deleterious Circumstances (spells of range sight or range eye), Poor Eyesight, Miles (Houses of Hermes: Societates p 31),
*House Virtue

Personality Traits: Loyal (Artisano) +3, Brave +3, Noble +2, Inquisitive +1, Loquacious –1

Reputations: beneficent +2 (flambeau and societates milites), Militie +2 (order), impressively/foolishly deep repertoire of ignem spells +2 (order) Hoplite +2 (Order), Deficient in Intellego (Flambeau) +1

Combat:
Fist: Init +1, Attack +4, Defense +4, Damage +1
Dodge: Init +1, Attack n/a, Defense +5, Damage n/a
Soak: +2
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties:
–1 (1-5), –3 (6-10), –5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Artes Liberales 2 (Ceremonial Casting), Athletics 2 (running), Awareness 1 (searching), Brawl 3 (dodge), Carouse 1 (staying sober), Guile 1 (lying to strangers), Code of Hermes 2 (Wizard’s marches), Concentration 5 (spells), Dead Language – Latin 5 (hermetic usage), Finesse 5 (ignem), Leadership 2 (grogs), Living Language (Castillian) 5, Magic Lore (giants) 1, Magic Theory 8 +2 (inventing spells), Organization Lore – Order of Hermes 1 (personalities), Parma Magica 7 (corpus), Penetration 6 +2 (ignem), Philosophae 2 (ritual magic), Profession – Candle Maker 2 (speed), Stealth 2 (hide), Teaching 2 (apprentices)

Arts: Cr 14, In 10, Mu 14, Pe 10, Re 13; An 10, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 14, He 10, Ig 31+3, Im 5, Me 5, Te 8, Vi 22

Twilight Scars: Fires in the near vicinity of Ranulf move directly away from him as if a slight breeze were coming from him. Smoke is not affected by this. In a cold environment Ranulf's breath turns to wood smoke rather than mist.

Equipment: Chest of the Ember Seed,Pendant of Patient Incantations, Pendant of the Eagle's Vision, Ribbon of Arcane Preservation, School of the Founder's Advocate, Talisman of Ranulf

Encumbrance: 0 (0)

Hide of Wax (Mu/An 20/+32 A)
Skin of Wax (MuCo 20/+38 M) Mastery 2 (Ceremonial casting, Penetration)
Assumption of the Fiery Mantle (MuCo(Ig) 35/+50 F A)
Coat of Prometheus (CrIg 5/+50)
Flash of the Scarlet Flames (CrIg 15/+50)
Mien of Helios (CrIg 15/+50)
Fasting Hearth (CrIg 20/+70 F A)
Pillum of Fire (CrIg 20/+74 F M A) Mastery 4 (Fast Casting, Defense, Multi Casting, Penetration)
Self Immolation (CrIg 30/+70 F A)
Stockade of Infernos (CrIg 40/+70 F A)
Conflagrative Servant (Cr (Mu,Re) Ig 40/+68 F A)
Parliament of Fiery Raptors (Cr(Re)Ig 45/+68 F A)
Tales of the Ashes (InIg 5/+31 D F A)
Eyes of the Flame (InIg 35/+31 D F A)
Enduring Flame (MuIg 10/+70 F A)
Boreal Flames (Mu(Pe)Ig 15/+62 F A)
Flames of Stone (MuIg 30/+70 F A)
Petite Phoenix (Mu(Re) Ig 30/+68 F A)
Discriminating Flames (Re Ig 25/+68 F A)
Ward against Heat and flames (ReIg 25/+55 A)
Carpenter of flames (ReIg 30/+69 F A) Mastery 1 (Precision)
Parade Ground of Conflagrations (ReIg 30/+68 F A)
Ward Against Immolation (ReIg 35/+55 A)
Unified Flame (ReIg 35/+68 F A)
Flames that Leap Leagues (ReIg 40/+68 F A)
Flames that Leap Across the Earth (ReIg 45/+68 F A)
Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20/+17)
Transformation of Fire (MuTe(IgHe) 40/+40 F A)
Transformation of Fiery Steel (MuTe(Ig,He) 40/+40 F A)
Consummate Transformation of Fire (MuTe(Ig,He,An) 40/+40 F A)
Scales of the Magical Weight (InVi 5/+18 D A)
Sense the Nature of Vis (InVi 5/+18 D A)
Wizard’s Expansion Ignem (MuVi 25/+38)
Group Wizard’s Boost Ignem (MuVi 30/+38)
Touch Group Wizard's Reach Ignem (MuVi 30/+38)
Wizard’s Boost Ignem (MuVi 30/+38)
Wizard’s Communion (MuVi 30/+38)
Wizard’s Reach Ignem (MuVi 30/+38)
Wizard’s Boost (Vim) (MuVi 35/+38)
Wizard's Endurance Ignem (MuVi 40/+38)
Sap the Griffons Strength (PeVi 10/+38 A)
Dreadful Bane of the Fae (PeVi 15/+38 A)
Demon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 15/+38 A)
Sap the Griffin's Strength (PeVi 20/+38 A)
Snuffing the Spell's Flame (PeVi 40/+38 A)
Unraveling the Fabric of Terram (PeVi 40/+38 A)
Wind of Mundane Silence (PeVi 40/+38 A)
Unraveling the Fabric of ignem (PeVi 45/+38 A)
The Patient Spell (ReVi 20/+35)
Maintain the Demanding Spell (ReVi 30/+35)
Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi 40/+35)
F includes Magical Focus
M includes Spell Mastery
D includes deficient technique
A includes attunement of talisman
note that casting totals do not include the +3 bonus from method caster

Vis: eight pawns vim transferred into a ring warn on right hand, eight pawns ignem as ashes carried in a pouch on belt, the ashes become hot to the touch at sunset every day, four pawns muto as snakeskins.I realized when later books came out that the vis entry was about how much vis you could pull out of the corpse of a magical/faerie/etc creature, it wasn't about how much vis a character carried around with them. Whoops.

Appearance: Ranulf’s eyes are held in a near perpetual squint as he closely examines the world with his inadequate sight. Ranulf’s face is reddened and the short hair around his face is bleached from long exposure to hot fires at close range. Ranulf is of ordinary stature and build ,Ranulf by the age of 114 has exchanged his thick clothing in favor of robes and furs resembling a sort of hybrid between the traditional garments of magi and the styles of nobility. Ranulf is almost never separated from his Talisman − a walking stick sized staff quite unsuitable for use as a weapon.

Artisano when Ranulf is at gauntlet +90

So there he is at age 114. at this point he's a good npc for someone trying to achieve archmagus status or an NPC dealing with large threats to the order (in a less important role than the PC's naturally).

In doing the Ranulf +90 character I inevitably devised a Ranulf +105 character. It's less useful as an NPC being a bit more over the top without being a great deal more interesting. What's more is that I don't imagine that the way I took him is a particularly likely direction. I see Ranulf +90 as -when he's not being Mr' Societates Millitie- likely to either head off into esoteric mysteries (I'm not sure if I've got the name right but the "society of the Green stone" fits pretty well with his personality and anything that teaches Hermetic Divination would be a great boon to him. His vim expertise would make the thaumaturgical mysteries useful to him as well as the consummate talisman but I can't see him being heretical or dumping his present talisman.) or start thinking about his immortal soul and gaining a piety personality score perhaps laying the groundwork for eventual retirement to a monastery (after his longevity ritual begins to peter out. When is that? 16 for his ritual +2 for bronze cord, +2 for living conditions for a total of +20 I've no books here but I think that means he'll be good for a while yet).

What I don't see as much is his continuing to follow the path of ignem because Ignem basically does as much as it can for him. But of course that 's the way that I took him (at least a bit). My version of Ranulf +105 has a bit more of the pride and combativeness of young Ranulf than I'd really expect. I can rationalize it (and indeed I already have) but the +115 Ranulf feels less like the natural path of development than the the +15, +30, +45, +60, +75 and +90 versions.

I'll post it eventually.

Could you perhaps post both the +115 version you have /the combatant/proud one?) and the one you feel to be more likely?

Both would make interesting reads I believe.

Here's a spot of weirdness about the game itself. Ranulf hasn't put an xp point into Profession – Candle Maker since before his apprenticeship started 105 years ago. He probably hasn't made a candle since then (why would he need to?). Yet he still has a level 2 skill in the profession.

Ah yes - non-atrophying skills. Can't think of a simple system that doesn't have this problem.
In general, it's considered too much of a bother to care about, but you're right ofcourse.

My thought about it was that you can refresh a memory with a creo mentem spell that's probably a non-fatiguing spont for any magus who ever gets the to the point where retained skills seem really silly.

that would make sense

Back on July 7th I wrote:

I was thinking that "eventually" would be in a few days rather than 6 months later, but I've been quite busy.

In this next time period I had him take another apprentice. This messes up a chronological presentation of the material because the way that we did apprentices in Magic of Hermes was to deduct seasons from a 15 year period for training rather than to work in the seasons chronologically or ignore the training seasons when not doing lab work (which would be my choice).

After developing Parliament of Fiery Raptors Ranulf leaves his lab for a few years. He doesn't have a great deal of need for new spells or items and he doesn't really have any strong drive to take his studies in a new direction. I see him being quite unsatisfied for a few years there aren't any ignem projects that he finds worth doing and he doesn't really have as much love for the other arts (even vim). Because 30 xp per year is sufficiently low, I see almost all of his xp coming in the form of adventure xp, as he goes forth from his covenant trying to embody the ideals of the code of Gahris.

In the first three years he gets 90 xp
30 xp in concentration raising it to 6
48 xp in muto raising it to 17
12 xp in Artes Lierales (not quite to 3 yet)

After three years he takes an apprentice and spends a season teaching him then spends a year in the lab (apprentices make the chronology wacky as I said earlier)
One season on this

One season to invent Gentle Caress of Asclepus CrCo 30 from HoH: S p 100

One Season to invent Wizard's Reach Ignem level 40 (He has lots of Ignem spells that are higher than level 25 but lower or equal to level 35 that he can use this on but to be honest I don't remember why I had him learn it, perhaps to cast self immolation at range touch. I've scribbled out wizard's boost and written in wizard's reach.)

One season to invent Doublet of Impenetrable Silk during this season he has sufficient lab total left to also invent this (and still take an additional three days off):

He really is still sort of lost during this period. He has used Parliament of Fiery Raptors instead of Pillum of Fire on a few occasions and this makes him unhappy. Doublet of Impenetrable Silk isn't the spell he should really invent, and a finer cut of meat shows him being concerned with his eventual death.

This changes shortly after he takes his second apprentice. A colleague informs him that the counsel of archmagi (I'm assuming that they aren't a Rhine only thing here) could use a voice from the Societates Millites and he learns that there is an archmagus whose challenge ins to hunt down and slay a larger opponent than the Archmagus during a specified period of time. Ranulf develops a plan to develop a combat spell of unmatched power, challenge this archmagus, and enter Arcadia to defeat a giant which is the personification of Winter (not that he knows about faeries taking on roles, he just hears about a legendary giant of gargantuan size who could possibly be defeated with fire spells). Now he just need to develop a spell capable of defeating a creature of preposterously large size. Ranulf being who he is he's naturally going to do it with Pillum of Fire :smiley: .

Even being directionless early during this fifteen year period I still see him as collecting a few things considering that he's gaining mostly adventure xp for the equivalent of 9 years. Here are two things that I imagine him procuring but that don't fit well into the quick advancement scheme of the game.
Two castings of Stamina of Heroes or a similar spell (HoH: TL p 103) to get his stamina to +4
An exceptional suit of chain armor (with excellent quality per City and Guild p 69 at +2, but not with the Verditious items of quality adjustments or created with alchemical iron that might be over the top depending upon the game)

the following spell is a common spont for him:

I see him at this point of his life changing his attitude towards the study of violence in thinking that as an elder magus of some competence it falls upon his shoulders to be a champion for the order. He's still not wallowing in the glory of it but he's decided that he's going to be able to do more with Pillum of Fire than any one ever has before and he's taking some satisfaction in pursuing this goal.

A few more years of collecting XP and vis

3 more xp in Ates Liberales bringing it to 6
31 xp in creo bringing it to 16
36 xp in Perdo bringing it to 13
29 xp in rego to bring it to 15
21 xp in ignem (affinity makes it 32 xp) bringing ignem to 32
19 xp in terram to bring it to 10
25 in master pillum of fire to bring it to 5 (adding imperturbable casting, he tends to throw a lot of other spells at the same time as PoF)
5 xp in spell mastery Eyes of the Flame for level 1 (stalwart casting, because of his deficient intellego he could easily tire himself by casting this spell, just when he needs to be fresh)
5 xp in faerie lore to get level 1
5 xp in infernal lore to get to level 1
1 xp in Magic theory (because why not)

Interesting.

I can see him going for Archmagushood.

using the same plan I did in the +75-+90 advancement, I'm assuming that Artisano can get 10xp per year of study. So that's 90 xp

Magic theory from 5 to 7 for 75 xp
Code of Hermes 1 (familiars) for 5 xp
Philosophae 1 (metaphysics)for 5 xp
Theology 1 (heresy) for 5 xp