Recreating McGonogall's Stone Soldier Spell?

Anybody have an idea on how you'd reproduce that spell that Professor McGonagall casts in the final book in Harry Potter to animate the stone statues to fight to protect the school? see: youtube.com/watch?v=gXQ1yNJrVFA

I assume it's either some rego terram or muto terram spell to get a stone to behave like a person?

Awaken the Stone Garrison
Target: Structure, Duration: Sun, Range: Touch

This spell causes any number of stone statues inhabiting a stone structure to become animated and follow the commands of the maga or anyone the maga permits to lead them. These statues have the stats of a typical grog, but likely have greater strength and soak due to being made from stone.

base 3, +1 for stone, +3 Structure, +2 sun, +1 Touch, +1 Muto = Re(Mu)Te 35

kosher?

Well, if these were trees I would say we are talking here about a combination of Stir the Slumbering Tree (MuHe(Me) Base 4) and Freeing the Striding Tree (ReHe Base 5). I like that you need that Mentem requisite. For stone statues, I'd say the Muto effect is MuTe Base 4 (highly unnatural) with a Mentem requisite, +1 for stone; while the Rego effect is Base 3 (very unnatural), with again +1 for stone. So this is a MuTe spell with Base 4, +1 for stone, plus a Mentem requisite, plus a Rego requisite and another +1 for it. Then add +3 structure, +2 sun, +1 touch, for a total of

Awaken the Sleeping Guardians
Muto Terram (requisites: Rego Mentem) 40
This spell causes any number of stone statues inhabiting a stone structure to become animated and follow the commands of the maga or anyone the maga permits to lead them. These statues have the stats of a typical grog, but likely have greater strength and soak due to being made from stone.
The statues will tend to have personality traits suitable for their role. Statues of guards, for example, might have a "Guard Castle +3" personality trait. Just like regular men, they can be influenced through Leadership, which can be used to rally them and encourage them to stay their ground.
(Base 4, +1 stone, +1 Rego, +3 structure, +2 sun, +1 touch)

Something like that.

I've always been curious about the way Awake the Slumbering Tree had a guideline that other Forms did not have an easy substitute for (actually, I think Mentem let you make a faux-intelligence).

I had always put that down to different Forms having specific and unusual strengths and possibilities that another Form might have trouble replicating at easily.

I was curious if others saw this in the Spell Guidelines.

Vrylakos

Dude... SPOILER!

Is Muto still neeed in the 5th ed guidelines? I though Rego was now able to cover animation as well as control.

Rego covers "natural" movement and changes - flexible stone would be Muto, and then Rego for motion/control.

And there is a consideration that a tree is a "living" thing, and so has a spirit (or something) within it already. Stone, while it can be "living" (if unworked), is something less, and worked statues even less still. It's the diff between awakening a tree and awakening a wooden mannequin - both possible, but the former seems like it should be "easier" imo, if only by a little.

Just like Grasping Hands that is a good first pace, one Similar spell too, je.

The Muto was actually giving the statue attributes of human-ness. Because normally a straight up rego spell would only animate the statue within the maga's specific orders and commands. It wouldn't be able to act on its own intelligence etc. Rego Herbam has this built into the guideline, however that's because plants are inherently living and therefor have some kind of sentience. Stone is harder to make act intelligently... so i was wondering how people would design a spell like that...

I would add Creo as a requisite as well. As it´s CrMe to make the "faux-intelligence"... Re and Mu would affect what already existed, which with stone would very likely be none?