regrouping for lunch

Barshako has been recovered while others spent times looking through their labs, and the group meets for a meal prepared by grogs with the aid of the construct chef.

Having left Barshako with his sons, Lares strolls in hungry like a bear. When the others join him, he grabs a hefty pile of food and gorges, only pausing to share news.

“We got Barshako back, thanks to the generous help of Zarkut, Aetherius, and Tastheus. Unlike I feared, there was nothing dangerous beyond the Aegis, just twisting mountain passages. Seemed quite complex, too.”

He grins widely.

“I don’t think anyone will find us here anytime soon. That should buy us time.”

Lares sits back and burps into his sleeve.

Recupariting some in his sanctum first, Tastheus studies the paintings again. So much is lost. Yet there is an opportunity for gain, always.

In the hall where lunch is being served, Tastheus grins at the magi there. "We are young again! Lets eat some good food eh?"

Okeannetis drags herself to lunch. She was eager to go back to her lab and see what lab texts she might have left behind, but her stomach let her know she needed to eat.

"Hello Soadles, Lares, I'm glad things went well with your mission. Has any of you given thought to our Longevity Rituals? Are they still in effect? Do we have the notes for them?"

Aetherius comes back with the group "I'm not sure you really needed us, Lares, but it's better to be safe than to be sorry, and don't be shy if you need help in the future."

He seems surprised when Okeannetis mentions a longevity ritual. "I still haven't checked my lab notes yet. But your question is a very good one. Perhaps we can just perform the focus again. I'm not really sure how to find out whether it's active, besides waiting to see if we warp or not. If it's not active, however, I think I'll wait a few years before I renew mine. There is frankly no rush."

Argentius comes in and finds his place, chuckling softly at Tastheus's comment.

"Makes one wonder, right? How was I feeling about food a century from now… Or is that now? I keep coming back to the question, 'What will I do differently this time around with these handful of clues?'"

The handsome Verditius smiles to Lares, nodding to the success of the rescue effort. He listens to the chatter, reaching out his right hand, three rings adorning it, to take a drink from a goblet.

"I found where the covenant vis stores are kept. I didn't go in the house, but we should probably go look into it. I wonder where our coin and gold are kept. I'm not sure about your labs, but mine will require some upkeep. We must have had significant income streams."

Argentius smiles as he takes a bit of lunch, the idea of a longevity ritual seeming so distant.

Trailing in late, Plasmatoris shows up, lead along by one of the scholars who had to come fetch the distratable, focused Jerbiton. "Ah, greetings," he says to the gathered magi with a smile. He definitely looks more like a proper magus this time, once again cleaned of charcoal and this time not actually bringing his sketching papers to the meal. He finds himself somewhere to sit and relaxes. "One of the scribes informed me people were gathering to speak again?" He asks. "Sorry, I have gotten quite wrapped up in the work I was doing and lost track of time. How long has it been?" He glances around at the others a bit sheepishly.

"Just a few hours," says Argentius to Plasmatoris, smiling and enjoying the lunch.

"What did find out from looking about the covenant?"

Lares gives a worried frown.

“I’m willing to bet it’s not active. That’s going to be a problem. Like Aetherius says, however, it’s not our most pressing concern. To be handled in the medium term.”

“The vis stores might be defended in some way, although I am not sure if it would be necessary here. In any case, before we barge in, we should at least check if the mundanes know anything about any defenses. Does anyone here have any expertise spotting magical traps?"

Lares nods at Argentius.

"And yes, I was wondering about the income, as well. How do we manage to transport anything in here over a hundred miles of mountains, not to speak of exporting something for sale? I think we must produce most everything locally. If so, that means we are very dependent on these magical men I see running around everywhere. Does anyone know how to maintain them?”

"My interest in the Longevity Ritual is quite selfish, I must admit. I don't know if the older me had kids, but I do like the idea.
As for the magical men, it's more likely to be the work of a Verditius, don't you think?"

There was a nagging question on her mind. But she couldn't remember what it was.

"We should definitely look into what vis we have stored and the finances and running of the covenant."

Zarkut looks up from his plate, which is covered with little portions of everything available, that ​he has been sampling to rediscover favorites.

"Those mechanical people have runes on them, that I've seen on Verditius work, so I assume you made them, Argentius. As for the Longevity Ritual question, I should have an answer to that this evening, at dinner."

My interest in the Longevity Ritual is quite selfish, I must admit. I don't know if the older me had kids, but I do like the idea.
As for the magical men, it's more likely to be the work of a Verditius, don't you think?"

There was a nagging question on her mind. But she couldn't remember what it was.

"We should definitely look into what vis we have stored and the finances and running of the covenant."

"Yes, I am now curious to understand the longevity rituals used. Maybe one of us did something exotic?"

“The vis stores might be defended in some way, although I am not sure if it would be necessary here. In any case, before we barge in, we should at least check if the mundanes know anything about any defenses. Does anyone here have any expertise spotting magical traps?"

"No, unfortunately I'm not good at spotting traps." Tastheus grimaces. "Knowing myself, I'd probably have insisted on some too."

"And yes, I was wondering about the income, as well. How do we manage to transport anything in here over a hundred miles of mountains, not to speak of exporting something for sale? I think we must produce most everything locally. If so, that means we are very dependent on these magical men I see running around everywhere. Does anyone know how to maintain them?”

"My guess is that we have Mercere portal somewhere inside the covenant, or an enchanted flying Chariot hidden away."

Argentius looks over at Zarkut. "I suppose it's possible, but I don't really think so. When I look at the clues left in my lab, I think my interest in ring-making grew here at Al Kufra. Perhaps the other of my House… Silas, I believe? Perhaps he knows more about the automatons."

He takes another bite, listening to Tastheus.

"There must be some means of commerce and communication with the outside. I believe my future-past self had a factor outside the covenant but I seem to have not engaged him much in the last decade. That could indicate that my needs were met without him, I suppose. Or my interests and research focus changed or narrowed," offers Argentius.

"But yes, we'll have to understand the basic economics and trade we are engaged in. We wouldn't be advanced this far without it a steady and sizable source of income. But a Mercere portal could be complicated… "

Aetherius chimes in. "Perhaps we should look for our ledger. I'm assuming we would keep such a thing, to cover our income, expenses, silver and vis. That might tell us much about what we need to know about our assets."

“Excellent idea. Such a thing would be in the library, perhaps? The grogs might know. I can take a look, after we are done here. Tell me if you need help with the vis stores, though.”

"The library would be the first place I would check for that, as well. If not, my second guess would be where our vis and silver is stored at."

As Silas seem to have no luck finding a Latin speaking covenfolk he remembers the young scribes from earlier. Instead of continuing walking around at random, potentially making a fool of himself, he decides to return to the library. Entering the building he can’t find them in the initial room and proceeds to the meeting hall. As he enters, he sees that many of the other magi have already gathered and started eating.

“Ah sodales. I wasn’t aware we were planning to share a meal together. I am glad I stumbled upon you. I assume the rescue went well. But please continue your discussion, from the fragments I heard it sounds interesting.”

Silas walks over to where he sat earlier and sits down but doesn’t grab any food.

Plasmatoris smiles to Silas as he approaches. "Welcome," he says. "I only just arrived myself. One of the scribes reminded me I need to eat. I have always had a tendency to forget.". Then he frowns, looking to the sky thoughtfully. "Perhaps I learned to fix that over the years, but if so, I have fallen into the bad habit again."

" I have been trying to organize the scribes into groups for gathering of information. I am hoping they can get us a full list of inhabitants. I also have been looking through my lab for more clues, but..." Plasmatoris shrugs.

“My lab was also rather barebones on more information. Certainly no wizard war declarations. These construct that are walking among the mundanes are my creations. Automata who ease the burden for the covenfolk. More then so I couldn’t learn by studying what was in there…”

Ignoring the food Silas reaches for something to drink instead. He quite happy with forgetting to mention that some of these constructs were merely traded for versions of his own. A harmless omission… Yes, let them believe that I created them all. After all its barely an exaggeration, I would have been capable of much more than this.

"Silas," Tastheus studies other magus a moment. "We are going to do some search around the covenant to understand it's logistical realities. Are you willing to help?"