Rekindling the Council; Winter 1230

Vocis is willing to serve as marshal. Support and coordination of grog forces is what he does best.

Vocis will probably pass on this.

Though Vocis would never admit it, Guillaume is a much better choice for this. :slight_smile:

Vocis is in favor of this.

The big blond man shakes his head in the negative. "I leave negotiations to those better suited to it. I had a venditor, but she... she was taken from me." He clenches his fist.

Fédora hears the pain in Vulcanus's voice, and is reminded of how she and Saam were so cruelly torn apart. She looks down. [color=blue]"I am sorry," she says through the knot in her throat.

Everyone is using blue. So Carmen is gonna switch to purple :smiley:.
Carmen: I propose we send Fedora to Harco to open negotiations.

"I would never turn down an offer such as this," Guillaume hisses. "I would be happy to accompany a fellow knight on this hunt."

Carmen: With these eager participants, a hunt shall indeed be called. A winter hunt in January. According to my father's journal, the proceedure is to present the dragon with a small token gift and ask his permission. I shall do this next week. Who wishes to accompany me?

"I would then presume this dragon to whom the gift is presented is the lord of the drake to be hunted?" Guillaume's laugh seems more a raspy breath. "The loyalty of a Tytalus. These dragons and drakes could learn much from the Flambeaux, but I think it best we not teach them. If there are some interested grogs, I could work with them during the hunt. In the meantime, yes, Carmen, I will accompany you."

Carmen: Not just one drake, any and all drakes within the designated hunting grounds are legitimate targets. Sigmundo set it to weed out the weak and the stupid.
But there are three specific drakes I call off limits, they have allied with us befvore. Maurice, Venkath, and the fat one whose name I forget.
And any ogres or giants we encounter are always in season, we can take them down any time we want. Not many left in the area though, at least I hope not. Ogres suck.

Vocis: Though I don't plan to participate in this particular Drake Hunt, I am certainly interested in meeting our illustrious draconic neighbor.

Vocis: Fausto and Liberto will likely be interested. He smiles and adds, Liberto in particular, as it may be difficult for him to volunteer for such diversions once Amada moves here.

Carmen: Okay then. From here I would like to ask for a volunteer to write up a proposal for by-laws for this council to consider, based on what we discussed here.
(I am looking for a player to volunteer, nothing complicated, just a simple bullet point list will suffice and I will add the flowery language (unless you want to)).

Esteban de Barbastro entered at some point (+1 member). He's a handsome man of medium build and age, with a close-cropped beard and wavy brown hair that falls to his shoulders. He wears the costly but travel-stained clothes of an hidalgo, not the robes of a magus. His eyes sparkle as if at some private joke as he greets the other magi with graceful courtesy. As the meeting proceeds, you can't help but notice his eyes are glued to Carmen.

Vulcanus' face darkens visibly.

Eventually he becomes so annoyed that he finally speaks. "This is a maga of House Flambeau, not some tavern wench. You will treat the maga with the respect her station accords now, or you will be taught."

Guillaume's eyes start darting back and forth. He's not sure who Carmen will think has insulted her the most. Though he knows Carmen can stand up for herself, he is unsure of the capabilities and temperaments of these other two. He silently suggests to Astrid that she move a little more under the table just in case. Meanwhile he keeps his eye out in case countermagic is needed.

Carmen has a stunned look and a smile on her face, almost like a high school teenager...
Estaban...
I knew Valencia was not to be our last night together.
So much has happened in that short period of time, I am sure you have heard. I left a message for you with the magi of Barcelona. Don't know if you ever got it, figured you'd travel that way eventually.
Carmen blushes a bit, looks down while blinking her long lashes, then assumes a more erect posture and a voice of Authority
Estaban of Jerbiton. Whence last you resided here, I was a Mistress and you were a Journeyman. I now hold the title of Pontifex, and I invite you to our table as a Master and eleventh member.

(quick back story: Estaban had helped rescue Carmen in the Burning Brass expedition that has often been mentioned lately, and helped to catch the infamous Metron).

Figuring Vulcanus's anger has been mollified, Guillaume relaxes back in his seat. Astrid curls up on his feet, under the table.

"I live only to serve, my lady," Esteban replies with sincere but slightly exaggerated gallantry. "Gladly I shall pledge my sword to your cause."

"As to the matter of grogs. I once had friends among the caballeros villanos whose loyalty I can trust -- some of the old knaves must be still alive, maybe even sober. This company of almogavars you speak of should more than suffice. But if the Council wishes it, I could recruit a dozen Castillian cavalrymen within a fortnight."

"I may be also of some small service hiring smiths and artisans and the like. Mundanes, they seem to like me for some reason," he says with a grin and a shrug.

"Forgive me, Master Vulcanus, if I have given you some offense. I have lived too long in the company of mundanes. If I have breached some point of order, I pray you, please explain my error in private. I would hate to look like a fool in front of my sodales."

Excellent! Previously had a company of nearly a hundred. Twelve veteran guards, twenty almogavars, and a dozen cavaliers will bring us up two score. A good start.
And yes, we need smiths and craftsmen of all sorts. I am grateful for your capabilities and silver tongue my dear old friend :slight_smile: .

I am not Carmen. But I can imagine she would find the idea of two gallant handsome warriors competing for her attention quite. um, quite a turn on :smiley:
That's just how she is. She likes manly men.

The German frowns, clearly wanting to find some fault with Esteban's reply, unsuccessfully. He shrugs it off, and then changes the subject. "Your assistance would be welcome in hiring skilled labor to aid me and my cousin in the smithy. Bernhard is of great skill, but folk take to him similarly as they would to me."