Road to Pamplona (Spring 1234)

Fleur shrugs "Found a guy named Eric the red, looked like things were going well, then some guy from the order wearing a black cloak told him the Blind Man was waiting and he had to take off. Rather rudely."

[color=blue]"Eric the Red..." Fédora looks thoughtful. [color=blue]"Redcap, perhaps? Where was he from? About every third male Redcap is named Eric or something close to it."

She also considers the black-cloaked magus(?) and the blind man, trying to remember if she had ever heard of them, or anything like them. (Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 4 + die roll of 8 = 13. If it's House Mercere, that's her specialty, which makes it a 14.)

[color=blue]"Did the black-cloaked man seem familiar? Or have you heard of him or this...'blind man'?" she asks, regardless.

Matteu here calls him English Erik, he said he was called Erik the Red because of his red hair, but given the man in the cloak, I wouldn't be surprised if he were a redcap. Can't say the moniker of the Blind Man ever came up in my social circles at Canes de Mere." She turns and whispers to Felicia "You ever hear of either of them?"

not sure if there is an area lore or Font of knowledge Felicia would be rolling against- so if the ST wouldn't mind responding for Felicia...

Fleur appears to be getting a few things mixed up wit the way she rephrases what she heard :smiling_imp: And she is getting facts confused. English Erik said he was called "the Red" because of his Red hat.
But she got the primary clue right. "The Blind Man". Feora searches her memory of the Lore of the Oder of Hermes (and rolls 13). The shadiest Hermetic player in the whole county and ever a thorn in the side of Barcelona Covenant; Erat Caecus. His name is Latin for "He was Blind". It is not that great a leap to suppose tht "Blind Man" could be a derogatory nickname.
Matteu, if asked, knows nothing about anyone nicknamed "the Blind Man". He things your hunch is reasonable but cannot confirm it. If asked about the man in the black cloak, he says It is best not to speak ill of the dead.. Ifpressed further, he says I did not see him, I have never seen him, and the one that some claim to see is one that was murdered mysteriously just this past Christmas. They say that it is el Piroman, Trentus of Flambeau, returned from the grave to avenge his murder.

"Why is this important?" Fleur asks "I mean he was a little rude, but it seems to me like there is something else going on here."

[color=blue]"There is always something else going on here," Fédora says quietly. [color=blue]"I will try to explain when we're alone."

While she's there, she will keep an ear out for any mention of a blind man, black cloak, Piroman, or anything else of interest around her.

She then turns to Matteu. [color=blue]"It seems we still have some time before it's time to retire. What do you recommend we see?"

Fine, if they didn't want to explain she wouldn't mention having Eric's saliva in her mouth, potentially usable for a short while as an arcane connection. Of course Redcaps were technically mages, so maybe it was a good idea not to mention it anyways...

S'pose it depends on what ya wanna do. The other Iberian covenants have set up houses and such in different towns outside o' the city. Only three have set up portals so far. Campomartes, Estancia Escarida, and Duresca. Rest are laggin' behind, claiming shortages in funding or time or waitin' on another wizard's time or whatever.
Then the, whaddayacallit, significantacatatatowhatever. A major project Faruscas been workin' on. Some new way to study Mentem by observin' people at the parties this one rich lady throws, like, almost every day.
Yu might wanna visit Odo at the Silver Rooster. He is the figurehead leader of the covenant, even if Farusca runs the show from backstage. Then Carles. I wanna take this lady here to meet Carles. He can teach her and the cat a few things about indiscretion.
Then if you wanna see any sights or anything, I can ask my friend Xavi what is interesting and available at this point in history.

Fédora makes a thinking, considering type of noise. [color=blue]"Let's pay a call on the houses that have set up portals so far, and see the sights en route. Then, later, we can visit those that are dragging their heels and see what we can do to spur them."

You know what, I need to review my list of Iberian Covenants. So it is well we start with the established covenants. The closest is Estancia Escarida, which has a small house in a suburban village that is also an ethnic slum of sorts, home to Muslims, Jews, and Mozarab Christians. Duresca is set up in an aristocratic suburb more distant, with a nice townhouse and a courtyard. The furthest away is Campomartes, who mave manages to set up shop is a watchtower down the coast some distance.

"Don't suppose there are any ancient caves with painted walls on the tour?"

Wha? Um, no. We are in the city sweetheart, no caves or anything. I think there may be some catacombs here and there. You don't wanna dig round there, do ya?

"No, that's okay. Marseille was apparently built near or on caves, they were on the coast."
(FYI Google indicates there are several caves in Barcelona, some have modern day cave tours and several were used for climate control in wineries.

Thanks for tossing me a link sarcastic grimace
Collbató has caves, that is a few miles away though. And there is a wine cave I totally forgot about. What's yer fascination with caves anyway?
And is Fleur going to make a habit of looking for caves everywhere she goes? She will not find anything in a random cave. Research Area Lore to learn of specific cave sites in a specific region, then as a player research that site and send me a wikipedia link or something. Then mount an expedition :smiley:
And yeah, I see that is what you are doing right now in role play, learning Barcelona Lore. Matteu isn't going to know much about caves. If they are in the city, maybe. Toss me a link so I can look them up. My own quick google search turns up caves in the Barcelona region and towns close by, but not in the city part of the city.

Y'know what, let me take you to see Carles. He's th' smartes one of these wizards here, and the oldest. He has his own library, and studies a lot of history as well as magic and Latin. He knows the town ten times better than I do.

Actually Fleur asked because she was feeling left out, a little bored, and wanted to ask something...

"My old covenant had access to magical caves, but a lot of their potential had been wasted in the past. I think we can skip the wineries, lets go see Carles"

Sorry :mrgreen:
But I did find a few prehistoric cave/civilization sites in the region :slight_smile: I don't have a working knowledge of where caves sides around the world can be found though, so a little help is appreciated :smiley: :smiley:
So, presuming Fedora agrees (to come with or go her own way), Matteu takes you into the city proper. The Street of Books, where scribes and translators hawk there services and hustlers sell bits of manuscripts of all sorts, usually of dubious authenticity. There are all sorts of strange bookshops too. One is known as "Books of the Eye". A black cat lies curled up in the doorway. He looks up and gazes at Felicia. The cat is old, some grey hairs, but his eyes are alert.
Ho! Noscure. Is your magus in today?
What do you figure? He is inside. New girlfriend?
No, new maga from Andorra come to meet Carles.
Eh, you know the routine.
And with that, Matteu smiles and fills you in. When you meet him, you must say "Do you have anything written by Quiffara?", he responds "Why do you ask?", and the counter response is "I'd like to learn something about is famous student". He is nutty, but it needs to be those exact words.

Fleur cocks and eyebrow and walks into the shop. She looks for someone who seems to work there and asks "Do you have anything written by Quiffara?" She hopes she got the pronunciation right (Is this in Lain? Catalan, Occitain?) for the area, or that he might overlook an accent.

You see a young kid carrying books. He looks over at you. A middle aged man sits scribing at a desk, and he alsolooks up. And then from behind you, his sudden appearance startles you, behind you a withered old man dressed as a scholar with a broad grin spanning his face; he responds in an amused voice.
Why do you ask?

(and yes, the local language is Catalan, a form of Occitan; though Latin would have sufficed, Carles is pleased that you used his language)