Road to the City of Brass (Winter 1236)

Very well. At the end of Autumn 1235, Antoine presents Solomon with 6[sup]1[/sup] rings carrying the suggested enchantment. The wearer should press the ring to their lips to activate the effect. Each contains a thin ribbon on Mercury alloyed in to the metal (to provide a Muto bonus, since the rings are no longer constant effect). Each has been invested with a single pawn of Muto vis (which actually means I probably can't smelt them - you can only ever retrieve 90% of the instilled Vis).

I believe I gain 2xp from Exposure?

[hr][/hr]
1: Number may change depending on what I spend Summer doing.

Most excellent. And yes

Proposed Expedition Roster for the Expedition to the City of Brass

Master Solomon of Gurnicus: Magus, Commander
[tab][/tab]Sophia the Owl: Familiar
Selim: Companion, Steward, Translator, Guide
[tab][/tab]Zahira: Animal Companion
Armando: Shield Grog, Master Sergeant
Agusti: Shield Grog, Gold Griffon
Alexandre: Shield Grog
Peter the Porter
Sally the Servant
Tony the Teamster

Mistress Arachne Ex-Miscellanea: Maga, Senior Warden
[tab][/tab]Melantha: Spirit Companion
Javier: Shield Grog, Expedition Sergeant
[tab][/tab]Roger: Ghost Shield Grog, Spirit Companion
Cristobal: Shield Grog, Gold Griffon
Assumpcio: Shield Grog, Gold Griffon
Alex the Assistant
Paul the Porter
Samantha the Servant

Lucas of Mercere: Magus
[tab][/tab]Horus the Falcon: Familiar
Bashir: Companion, Doctor, Translator
Oscar: Shield Grog, Turb Sergeant
Petrus: Shield Grog
Bartholomew: Grog
Sarah the Servant
Tom the Teamster

Roberto of Flambeau: Magus, Junior Warden, Deputy Marshal
[tab][/tab]Don Diaz “Cidio” el Gato: Familiar
Alberto Cortes: Shield Grog, Turb Sergeant
Allen: Shield Grog, Corporal
Albert Hernandez: Shield Grog, Corporal
Antoni: Shield Grog, Gold Griffon
Pere the Porter
Tim the Teamster

Arnau d'Orfes: Gifted Companion, Expedition Captain
Miquel: Shield Grog, Flame Brother
Bartomeu: Shield Grog, Flame Brother
Ignasi: Shield Grog, Flame Brother
Vicenç: Shield Grog, Flame Brother
Alice the Assistant
Bob the Bagman
Percy the Porter
Steve the Servant
Tobias the Teamster

Is this list accurate? Any comments or changes?

Looks good to me.

Then let us presume the scene is at the Covenant of Pyramids in Giza. The expedition is prepared and ready to set off. The morning is relatively pleasant, say around a hundred degrees only. You have camels and other beasts of burden loaded with supplies of food and water and equipment, Roberto floats his carpet along like a barge ankle high, carrying more supplies. The crew is outfitted and ready to go.

Solomon, would you like to make a dramatic stirring speech of encouragement to inspire the members of the expedition?

Solomon stands before the assembled expedition, magi and mundane alike. He leans heavily on his staff as he wipes beads of sweat from his face with a white cloth. When the murmurs die down he addresses the group in a calm, yet serious tone, "Sodales, we set out today on an expedition of great import, an expedition that may well save our world from forces that wish to destroy it. This journey we take is perilous, let there be no doubt, but it is one that must be undertaken. Our goal is simple; to rescue a man of God who sacrificed himself in order to protect us all from evil spirits bent on destruction.

Why, you might ask, does this quest fall upon us, and why now? The answer is simple; because to do nothing would serve the cause of evil. To stand by and allow the Malik of the City of Brass to continue to amass his forces to invade our world would be tantamount to aiding his cause. This task falls upon us because we must do all we are capable of to seal the gates of the City of Brass, and ensure they will never be opened again.

The task will be difficult, it will be dangerous, but we will prevail. There truly is no other choice. We must trust in each other, and trust in our God to strengthen our resolve and guide us through this challenge.”

He pauses for a moment, catching the eye of some of those whose nerves appear to be frayed, and offers a comforting a smile. He then turns to Roberto and then Selim and nods.

[color=red]If the fate of the world is in our hand, then surely our fate is in God's hands.
Aolright men! You heard him! Lets head up and move on out! Hyaaa!
(Roberto is on horeback, and thus the "Hyaaa!")

Alongside Roberto is the unmistakably Bedouin figure of Selim astride a camel; beside him another camel carries a younger-looking man in similar attire. It is only with very close scrutiny that you can discern that the swarthy complexion is but make-up, the clothes merely costuming, and that the man is, in fact, Bernat practising blending in to the local area.

((He was here all along, honest))

The magi at Pyramids set you guys up with Lab Texts (as mentioned elsewhere), and some items. Time to define them.
Three Camel Rings, Two Amulets that protect against Heat & Flames, and One Flying Carpet given to Solomon. Plus a stout barrel full of water. There is a trick to the barrel they cannot explain, and they will neet it back when you are done.
Ptah Ex-Miscellanea tells you "[color=green]It can not become empty"

They also assign you a dozen of thier grogs to help you, all of whom wear red shirts. Plus other supplies and animals as you need. They fear that the fate of the world may well rest in your hands in truth. Ptah the prophet said the dreams told him so.
The next leg of the journey is from Giza to the town of Al-Bawiti, the last bastion of civilization bordering the Sahara.
Or you can skirt around past it. This is not yet the true desert. The ground is rocky and sandy, sparse scrub vegitation, spilled water evaporates in a minute. It is hot and dry beyond your experiences.
The Sahara is much-much more intense.
Are you ready? Any special actions or important decisions before we preceed?

Selim's intent is to guide to the town of Al-Bawiti and gain a short respite there; there is never any reason to pass up a chance for some food and water when one is in the desert. He's also going to keep an eye on the members of the expedition, trying to identify those who are having a hard time of it. If they can't handle the journey to Al-Bawiti, then they're just going to be a liability when crossing the Sahara.

Bartholomew states to nobody in particular "They lied, I did not survive, for today I march through the fires of hell."

Now would seem like a reasonable time to remind Marko that Bernat has Premonitions, rolling at +5. If it ever comes up :slight_smile:

Then let us have a roll :slight_smile:

Per 2 + Pemonitions 3 + 1d10 (3) = 8, or 9 if the premonition pertains to Bernat specifically.

((By the way, if you want to make Premonitions rolls in secret, so I can't use the knowledge you asked for one, feel free. Likewise, I'm happy to make them at your request if you'd rather. Of course, I wouldn't intentionally use the knowledge of a failed roll in character, but sometimes it's hard not to let it affect you in some way))

(rolling is hard when phone-posting)
Spend a point of confidence and I will warn you when you are next in danger.
The expedition makes it to town mostly without incident. A mule dies from heat exhaustion. It was old. And three porters suffer from heat stroke. You make for quite a curiosity though, and the locals see you as economic opportunity. They want to sell you supplies and pack animals. And hire themselves to you as laborers.
Who acts as your spokesman?

Roberto looks at you with a raised eyebrow. [color=red]Who are you talking to and what are you talking about?

Ok, Confidence spent (I have 2 left)