Roll20 Sheet Anniversary Fund

Hello everyone!

My name is Richard Tran and I'm one of the maintainers of the Roll20 sheet for some 10 years now.

In coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the system I thought it'd be great to give a visual update to the Roll20 sheet but with some more discussion, the update has been broadened quite a bit to make the sheet more fully featured to support a saga as its truly played. There's so much opportunity to make the Roll20 sheet better, I'm excited for these features, and I hope that the community will back me up in being excited for these improvements. Whether because you've used the Roll20 sheet previously or want to see these upgrades come in to make running a game on Roll20 an easier decision.

Specific features and more information are broken down in the indiegogo campaign below!

I want to talk about the feature I'm most excited about: bringing in seasonal activities to the Roll20 sheets! I think seasonal journals are such an important and unique part of Ars Magica so I'm looking forward to taking a crack at it.

There's still some open questions in the air about how it would work. There's some exciting tech that might allow us to coordinate different 'types' of character sheets together, possibly allowing storytellers to set up a single journal sheet that then communicates with player's sheets. That might allow players to put in detailed seasonal activities in their sheets but allow the storyteller to see a summary of covenant characters on one page.

I'm also interested in exploring automation or making it easier to handle multiple grogs and aging rolls. I'd also love to hear from the community about the list of features we have in mind, if you think we're missing anything or if you had questions of how they might function in play.

Like many of our tools and resources, these grow out of passion projects and the Roll20 sheet has been absolutely that. Regardless of how this funding drive goes, there's going to be improvements and updates but as a freelancer, I do have to rationalize my hours and be responsible to myself so I'm hoping the community will find value in these improvements and want to see these big changes.

Thanks for your support and shares!

3 Likes

Excellent! The pictures are very promising.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

The picture there is something of a mockup put together for the update so I'm glad there's some approval :slight_smile:

I'll be updating in the next couple weeks with some more mock-ups. I am working through a bit of a mental setback where I accidentally overwrote my work the first time I was working on an anniversary update. Thankfully I did take screenshots of some of the in-app changes so I have some references to build on.

This is looking great! I'm extremely looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon :grin:

Thanks for doing this work! Please know that it is truly appreciated.

I did a brief stint as a DM for an online D&D company that uses Roll20. They have a way to print character sheets to PDF. I don't know what kind of hoops they had to jump through to get that capability, but I do know it would be incredibly useful to ArM players.

Thanks once again for sharing the Indiegogo link. I hope that lots of players decide to contribute.

I'll have to look into this a bit, there are some musings about laying down some groundwork to make possible the importing/exporting characters between the Roll20 sheet and the Wizard Maker project which I believe has a printable display.

If that falls through technically I'll see how much energy there is about doing a print-ready display.

1 Like