Scene 8: Suen Apartment, Tuen Mun

Ming: No thanks, ma'am ... we're on duty.

Ming smiles winningly at Mrs. Suen, though her partners get the feeling that this is yet another "I've always wanted to say that" moment.

Ming: Can you tell us, though, what your take is on this whole situation?

Mrs. Suen: My take? I don't really have a take. We were questioned pretty thoroughly when Mingxia first went missing. I said then I didn't have any idea why Mingxia might run away, which they thought at first. I didn't know her that well myself- I only really saw her when she came pick up Sarah on their way out. After my husband died I thought moving to Tuen Mun would be a good thing- it's supposed to be such nice area. You'd expect this kind of thing to happen in Kowloon, but not out here.

Ming: Well, you know how it is, ma'am. Sometimes people remember things later on that they don't think of when they're first questioned. We're just doing our best to cover all of our leads. Now ... may we speak to Sarah?

Huang: It's common, when someone goes missing, to think that they might have just run away. I do not fault you for it. Most people have those thoughts from time to time when this kind of thing happens. It's part of trying to find answers. But when most people run away from home, it's because they had personal problems with their family. Mingxia did not. We have reason to believe that someone may have taken her. And we also have reason to believe that she is still alive.

Huang watches to gauge Mrs. Suen's reaction. It's interesting that she brings up Kowloon. Different crimes mean different things when they happen in different places in Hong Kong, and when something like this happens in Kowloon, it's usually gang or Triad related. Huang has not ruled out the Triads, though he doubts they're involved in this case. They're more likely to use guns and knives than weird sorcery and chimney monsters.

Mrs. Suen: Alive? She shudders I'm not sure if it's better for her to alive or dead if she's been taken by someone. I suppose if someone has run away there's always the chance they just come home. Yunru was always so protective of her daughter. I can't imagine what she's going through.

She turns to Ming.

Mrs. Suen: I can't think of anything I haven't already told the police. I was working that day. I'll just call Sarah again-

As she turns to the door, she notices Sarah already stood in the doorway. How long she's been there, and how much she's heard, is unclear. She's wearing a set of pyjamas. Her eyes are red from recent tears.

Sarah: You think she's alive?

Huang turns to face Sarah, not knowing quite what to say. He didn't mean for her to overhear him, and from the look of her eyes, she's not been in a state of mind to talk to anyone. Poor girl didn't even think her friend was still alive, the way she looks. Huang nods firmly in answer to her question.

Huang: Mrs. Suen, would you give us a few minutes of privacy please?

Huang turns to Sarah, unsure where the hell to begin. He remembers the shopkeeper and what he had to say. This combined with what Ming got on the cameras means that Sarah was one of the last people to see Mingxia before she disappeared. How did those two get separated, he wonders? He speaks slowly, each word carefully considered.

Huang: Now Sarah...I know that you were one of the last people to see Mingxia the day she went missing. I know that the two of you were rather close and that you wanted to take her to school. This leads me to believe that somewhere along the line, the two of you got separated somehow. Now, I want you to think back on that day. Where you were, what you did, what you may have seen, what she may have seen, and when and what may have led to the two of you being separated.

Mrs. Suen nods and walks into the kitchenette. Sarah speaks slowly and deliberately, as if she's tired of repeating the same information.

Sarah: I didn't see her- I just spoke to her on the phone. I wasn't feeling very well the night before and I said I'd let her know if I was going to meet her that day. We normally meet on the corner near the shop, but she wasn't there. I thought she might have been delayed, so I rang her but there was no answer. Then I tried her house, in case she was ill, but there was no answer there either. I waited as long as I could, then caught the bus to go shopping. I thought I might meet her in town, or hear from her, but I didn't. I went home, and read. Late afternoon, the police called to ask if I'd seen her as she'd not got home at the time she said she would. That was the first I knew that anything was wrong.

She seems a little exhausted by her speech. Suddenly self-conscious, she rubs at her eyes, glowering at the officers as if to dare them to mention her tears.

In the moment of silence, you can hear a motorcycle engine in the car-park outside.

Sarah, is there anyone you can think of who might want to do Mingxia harm? Someone new you just met? Anyone with a grudge against her? A person who's been acting strangely?

Huang's ears pick up the sound of the motorcycle. His eyes narrow immediately. As Ming picks up where Huang left off, he rises to his feet and motions Nic aside.

Huang: (in a low whisper) Someone's in the car park outside. And if my instincts are right, that someone has no business being there. If Arthur were here, I'd just take you or Ming along and check it out, but Arthur's busy dealing with that damned dog, and I don't feel right about leaving only one person to watch over these two. Nic, how do you suggest we deal with this?

Ming's glance flickers over to Huang and Nic ... and her eyes roll dramatically. She herself knows somebody who's been "acting strangely," come to think of it.

Ming: Anyway, anything you can tell us might help immensely, Sarah. Like, for example, why you and Mingxia both have private cell phones, that her parents didn't know about, perhaps?

Sarah twitches at the mention of the phones, looks as if she might clam up, then glances to check that her mother is still out of earshot.

Sarah: Mingxia's mum can be a little over-protective at times. Her parents pay the bill, and her mum checks what calls have been made. Don't know what she's looking for- maybe she doesn't want her daughter getting involved with any boys at school. So Mingxia bought us a phone each so we have total privacy. It's kind of our secret.

She sighs.

Sarah: I haven't seen anyone weird lately. A few of the boys at school are creeps, but then they always have been. A new teacher started a couple of months ago. The fire alarms have been set off more recently. There was this weird fire today a few streets over. Is that anything to do with it?

Nic had turned at the sound of the motorcycle engine, and slid towards the door. As Huang comes up next to him, Nic is peering out of the doorway, but staying inside the building.

Nic: Well, we know there's nobody suspicious inside at the moment, so Ming Shi can handle watching these two, and get the drop on anybody trying to enter the building. But if there's something going on outside, we better cover each other, so let's you and I see what's cookin' in the car park. If it is the bad guys, they'll be more interested in dealing with us first than making a move on Sarah and her mom.

Nic swivels his shoulder to limber up the injury, and twirls his walking stick casually, still glancing out the doorway.

Nic looks back over his shoulder at Sarah and Ming Shi.

Nic: Hey, Sarah! My name is Nic. I gotta run outside for a few minutes, but when I get back, I'd like you to tell me more about this new teacher. Try to take a few minutes to think of anything about him you can recall. What he looks like, what he carries with him, if his clothes smell funny, if he uses funny nonsense words, anything at all. Especially try to recall if Mingxia ever had to talk to him. This might be important.

Nic gives Sarah a cheerful thumbs-up and then turns back to Huang to plan their foray into the car park.

Ming: If you guys run into my courier from HQ out there, be sure to give him this ...

Ming tosses Nic a couple of evidence bags, and a quickly scrawled note requesting the file on Sarah's father's death.

Ming:
Okay, Sarah ... let's talk about this teacher first, then the fire. Also, we found a pendant in Sarah's room with what looks like your hair inside of it ... can you tell me what that is and where she got it?

Sarah nods at Nic.

When Ming mentions the pendant, again she looks like she's about to become reticent, but seems to decide that there's no point if you already know about it.

Sarah: I haven't really met this new teacher. He mostly takes English classes with the lower years. Some of the younger girls have got a bit of a crush on him- he's a bit old-fashioned. I don't think Mingxia had met him properly either. Didn't you hear about the fire? It's been all over the news. Terrorists, apparently. They had someone from the police denying it, but you guys probably know all about it. I gave Mingxia the necklace as a good luck charm- it's supposed to protect people you like. Have you found it somewhere? Somewhere where Mingxia was taken? Is that why you think she's still alive?

Huang nods firmly after casting a last eye toward Ming and Sarah.

Huang: (voice still low) Let's move. Try not to get in my line of fire if things go to hell, OK?

Nic smiles at Huang.

Nic: Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. Heh heh! You move left, I'll move right, and if I hear gunfire from any direction, I'm hitting the deck.

Nic and Huang pound down the stairs, swift but cautious. Next to their parked car they see a motorbike idling, its rider with his helmet off. It's a courier. He's scratching his head and looking around, with a file tucked under his arm.

Nic looks slightly disappointed. He shrugs at Huang.

Nic: We could rough him up anyway. You know, just to stay in practice.

Nic chuckles to himself as he walks over to the courier to get the files.

Huang gives Nic a look and shakes his head no.

Huang: Not until we know for sure.

And with that, Huang heads over to where the courier is and addresses him.

Huang: Good afternoon sir. Waiting on anyone in particular?