Scimitar rules

Hi there!
I do not have access to my books of Ars Magica and need to prepare the next session of my saga. In this session the magi will fight against an army of djinnis made of air & earth in an epic battle to save an abbey. Those djinni are equiped as islamic warriors and, thus, they carry scimitars.

Does anyone remember if the stats for scimitars are included in any book? If not, which stats will you use?

Many thanks!

Hi Gambo

I have recently made a Companion character, that has brought a scimitar back to his homeland Scotland from his travels in Eastern Europe.
After wielding a Scimitar for years, his speciality with swords has changed, and he prefers this over regular swords.
I've found no specific rules for Scimitars, so i choose to make a shortcut in order to skip designing new weapon statistics for it:
I went with a normal Longsword and made it Superior (as per City & Guild, page 69).

Rules-wise this gives the item a +1 to attack rolls, or another single feature... maybe +1 initiative would be fitting.
Furthermore, it meant that the sword was slightly special (a lot less common than standard swords, but not unique by any means), and of a slightly higher value.
It also makes the sword more difficult to create, repair etc. which fits the exotic feel, that we want a Scimitar to have in our Scottish campaign.

Generally we don't want to recalculate and compare sword statistics, because it tends to be a more lengthy exercise than expected, and the swords are probably not that much different anyway.
So using the Longsword stats for a Scimitar, or possibly the Greatsword stats for a Falchion, has worked fine in our Saga.

ROPtD has scimitar used by some grogs template in the muslim part. Retro-engineer those? IIRC there were as long swords.

Since scimitars in 1220 is (IIRC) an anachronism, use the relevant stats for a straight sword, depending on length (typically a long sword) :slight_smile:

According to the wikipedia entry for scimitar the english use of the word can be dated back to the 16th century while early examples of the type of curved sword dates back to the 9th century. So while no scot would have a clue as to what you mean by a scimitar it's not impossible for someone to have picked up a curved sword while fighting in the crusades.

Djinns have pre-islamic origins, but that does in no way mean that they can not appear as islamic warriors. 1220 is after all just after the third crusades where the crusaders fought against Saladin and his men.

My bad, carry on :slight_smile:

?
Are you even in the right forum?