Seasonal Activities and Advancement

I think the magi deserve two each for the whole adventure--one for accomplishing the group goal and one for difficult tasks. Did I forget to award them along with XP's?

Scott

We got confidence points for the regio adventure, but not finding Tasia or the horsehunting (the xp discussion for those was more around how the cap worked than how many xp we got).

Is it 2 confidence points across finding Tasia and the horse, or just for the horse?

Yes, I was thinking of them as a single adventure. Go ahead and take an extra point for each of the magi for the horse story.

Scott

Revised advancement stats for Gregorius:

Spring: Explore the magical regio in the covenant, rescue Tasia, horsehunt. 5xp Nova Castra Lore, 1xp concentration, 1xp Area Lore: Causcasus, 1 xp Organisation Lore: Amazons, 1xp Bargain, 1 xp Mastery of Posing the Silent Question, 2 confidence points for regio exploration.
Summer: Read Rego Summa 15xp
Autumn: Tribunal, + read Mentem Summa for 2/3 of a season for 11xp

Winter: Read Leadership Summa, 13xp
Spring: Set up lab, 2xp Magic Theory
Summer: Read Mentem Summa 16xp
Autumn: Read Mentem Summa 16xp

Correspondences: 1xp MT with Slyvanus (Spring)

Winter: Read Rego Summa 15 xp
Summer?: Read Rego Summa 15xp

He'll reach a score of five in Magic Theory off this, and is planning to change his speciality to Familiars.

Confidence: +2 regio (already accounted for), +2 looking for Tasia, +1 horse hunting

Vis Income:
1228: 1 pawn Rego, 1 pawn Imaginem
1229: 1 pawn Rego, 1 pawn Animal

He's then swapped the Imaginem and Animal pawns (plus one other Imaginem pawn he already held) for two pawns of Mentem vis.

His final vis stocks are therefore: 4 pawns Rego, 6 pawns Mentem. Just one more pawn (and another year or so's study) before he can bind Alcimus.

If he's short of vis by the time he has the necessary Arts, Viola will be happy to give him that pawn.

Scott

I suspect the lab total is likely to be more of an issue.

I've updated his character sheet.

Viola will need to update her character advancement for the fact that she's now travelling to the tribunal in the Autumn of 1228.

Is she planning to try to do Eleusis that season as well?

I didn't put in any XP for that season anyway, but yes, it should be possible to make both trips, especially as they're in the same general direction.

Scott

Draft advancement for Fray:
Summer 1228 - Learn: Wizard's Comunion (MuVi25 vs LT43), from Cov Library. Purchase of Roots of the Order for x2 Vis.
Autum 1228 - advance Corpus from book, 11(68), Level 14, Qual 14. +14 exp,

Winter 1229 - enchant Talisman - Materials: a Lion's pelt (+7 lion transform) leather cloak (many), Mercury (muto + many) and Magnetite (animal) in clasp. Attune for +5 Muto from Mercury. (+1xp MT)
Spring 1229 - Invent spell: Profound Magnification of the Beasts (MuAn20) and Hand for the Clumsy Beast (MuAn/Co10) vs LT 61 (+1xp MT)
Summer 1229 - advance Corpus from book, 12(82), Level 14, Qual 14. +14 exp,
Autum 1229 - Learn: Leap of Homecomming (ReCo35), from Cov Library

Winter 1230 - Book Study, from covenant Vim book (from L15/Q12), +12 xp Vim
Spring 1230 - Book Study, from Roots on Aquam (tba, 5/15), +15xp Aquam
Summer 1230 - invent - Submerge the Irritating Hovel (MuTe20 / Aq) vs LT 44 (+1xp MT)
Autum 1230 - invent - Variant of OtIT using R:Sight, Evil Eye (ReVi15) (from HP, p80) vs LT 30. (+1xp MT)

Profound Magnification of the Beasts
Muto Animal 20. R: Personal, D: Diameter, T: Individual
The caster’s animal form increases in size by up to 7 size ranks, and can target base creatures of up to size 4.
(Base 4 for increasing a creatures size by 1x size rank, +1 Diameter, +1 mag to affect creatures of up to size 4, +2 for an additional 6 size ranks)

Hand for the Clumsy Beast
Muto Animal/Corpus 5, R: Personal, D: Sun, T: Part
Changes the end of target animals limb to a hand, allowing better grasping and manipulation. This may be cast upon any limb or manipulator of the anmial such as a tail.
(Base 3, +2 Sun, +1 Part)

I think you need an extra season for you talisman - one to open it as an invested item, and then a second to attune it.

Do you get the Muto bonus from the season you're attuning the talisman? I'd have thought that would have to wait until a subsequent enchantment/opening it for vis. Also, mainly so I've got a good idea in my head - is the leather cloak the lion pelt, or have you got the pelt draped over a separate cloak?

I think the plan is ok - A Talisman can attune during vis investment as well as investing a spell effect - ArM p98 not far from the top of the middle column says “You may also open your talisman to one kind of magic attunement, based on the shape and material of the talisman, every time you prepare it for enchantment or instill an effect.”

The pelt is the one that Fray has with him - and I assumed that a pelt made into a cloak would have leather within it by default as it’s a treated animal skin. But I’ve no real world idea if that assumption is right. What’s the difference between a leather and cloth cloak and one that is a pelt?

It's not a talisman during the initial vis investment phase, though - you have to do that in the first season, before you spend the second season attuning it as a talisman. I read that phrase as meaning when you open it to increased capacity later.

Salutor is right on that one--in fact, Viola's talisman, for example, wasn't even originally designed to be a talisman.

Scott

Bugger - you're dead right and I think I even once knew this and have forgotten the mechanics. I think I'll stick with opening the cloak in that season anyway.

For the Chersonesus story, I'll have Constantine put 5 XP's into Second Sight and 3 into Athletics; neither of those allocations changes a score.

Scott

Apparently I made the same mistake for Spring 1226, the exploration of the temple regio. Constantine will put those 5 XP's into Faerie Lore (again, no change to the Ability score).

Scott

Are people ready to move on to advancement now?

For reference, Gregorius' intended actions (from before the new people joined) are:

Autumn: Tribunal, + read Mentem Summa for 2/3 of a season for 11xp

Winter: Read Leadership Summa, 13xp
Summer: Read Mentem Summa 16xp
Autumn: Read Mentem Summa 16xp

Winter: Read Rego Summa 15 xp
Summer?: Read Rego Summa 15xp

We newbies are joining the timeline right after this advancement phase for the oldbies, I presume?

Close to the beginning, actually--your logs should start with Autumn 1228.

Note though that, because of the non-simultaneous nature of our stories, the advancement plans are always conditional--they sometimes have to be adjusted in response to events.

Scott

Ah, ok. I guess I need to figure out what Timaios was doing for two years!