Second Council Meeting

I believe you were discussing purchasing books in Normandy and Rome. Whether you want to sail the Atlantic to northern France or simply get dropped off in Provencal will determine whether it is the same adventure as looking for a merchant to work for the covenant.

Vulpus will, of course, suggest that the magi offer to trade copies (yet to be made) of his most excellent tractatus on magic theory in exchange for books as well. He'll reveal that it's intended to be a five tractatus set when completed. Hopefully we can get some good trade on five Q15 tractatus on magic theory (even if we'll likely have to wait until they're completed and copied before we get the books in return.)

I'd vote overland from Provencal, assuming we can get enough French speakers to volunteer. I noticed Patrice of all people has good French, Bargain and presence. Maybe three groups, one built around Patrice for Provencal, one around David to search for a merchant captain (these may be combined for some portion), and a third group to Rome? I know Pallas is also a good bargainer, and has the Gift of Tongues. In addition Sparks can back Pallas up with both Italian and Bargain. Non-humans wouldn't be a problem at tribunal, right?

non-humans are not a problem at a tribunal, between familiars and people building relationships with familiars to be they are common enough. However they are not treated like full magi- closer to companions who are tolerated hanging around in the background and providing their masters some assistance.

That fits with the Magical Friend flaw:

After discussing the matter, Tartessos will turn over twenty pounds of magically created gold to the covenant (200 MP) in the form of a bucket full of .2 lb nuggets. He explains that each .2 pound nugget was the limit of what he was willing to personally spend each year, regardless of what tribunal he was in. There is a condition, however.

"Because our covenant is currently conspicuous due to necessary magic use, I wish to limit the spending of magically created gold to two pounds per magi total, not per tribunal, plus an equal amount spread through territory not administered by the Order. While this does limit the use of this gold, at a moment when we do need it, I think a long term view is critical to ensuring good relations both with our neighbors and with potential critics in the Order. Let us be responsible and use this as a minor supplement, not a primary income source. Ten or twenty pounds per year should still go a long way to balancing our costs.

Having said that, if we do eventually use all 200 MP, I have plenty more to donate."

gold trades with silver at 16:1, not 10:1
10:1 was a convention of fantasy games to keep money in the decimal system, historically gold has generally traded at around 20:1, with brief deviations.
right this moment gold is trading at 1105 an ounce and silver is at 15.14 an ounce, which puts gold at an atypical 73:1 ratio to silver... in fact during the 13th century there was a silver rush, so irregulatities would tend to inflate the value of gold over silver, but charts show the ratio in 1344 at about 15:1. Of course this will vary by region as well- eastern countries tend to see silver as more valuable while western countries place higher value on gold- a factor which dominated a lot of the trade which occurred at this point in time.
I realize the price table in covenants conflicts with this- it is one of the points where I cringe at the level of research done for the supplements.