Secrets from Aesculapius: spells for moderation

I'll continue adding spells I'm developing - as the comments thus far have been really helpful and I hope they are a useful resource. However, I am aware that I might be perceived as 'clogging' up the boards - so moderators feel free to tell me to lay off for a bit if that is the case.

Secrets from the Vaults of Aesculapius: By Canneta of Criamon

Blessed Touch of Aesculapius CrCo 40
This two hour ritual requires that a number of herbs are burnt in offering to the Greek Deity, at the end of the spell a small amount of the caster’s blood is also offered to the flames.
This magic heals a number of incapacitating wounds on a single person touched by the caster. Concentrating on each wound in turn, the healer moves her hands over the target’s body. The wounds appear to close and heal one by one, until the body is once again whole.
Taught by the centaur Chiron, Aesculapius was said to be able to restore the dead to life through the use of medicinal plants. Canneta (rumoured to be a priestess in an Aesculapius cult) describes her continued research to try and uncover that secret, but thus far this has been the closest she has been able to achieve. This unusual ritual is said to be not entirely Hermetic, but originating from her religious practices.
[B: 35, R: Touch +1, D: Momentary, T: Individual; Ritual]

The Cauterising Flame CrIg 15
Requisite: Corpus
By running her finger along the affected area, this spell seals a severe bleeding wound (such as an amputation) so that no further blood loss or trauma result from it. The wound is stabilised (i.e. won’t get any worse), and the Corpus requisite ensures that no further injury results from the use of this spell.
This unusual spell was developed in conjunction with the spell ‘Swift Knife of the Chirugeon’. Canneta appears determined to use arts traditionally associated with violence to aid her healing.
[B: 5, R: Touch +1, D: Concentration +1, T: Individual, Requisite +1]

Sense of all Ills InCo 30
Requisite: Mentem
By placing her hands upon the injured, the Maga can sense any physical or mental malaise which afflicts the target.
Canneta claimed that this spell allowed her to sense whether the person was influenced by psychomachia – however, subsequent investigation by members of House Bonisagus suggests that these claims were false, or perhaps involved non-Hermetic religious ritual as well as purely Hermetic magic. In addition to revealing any physical illness, wound or poison affecting the body, it also gives an insight into negative emotional states suffered by a person, perhaps revealing overly strong emotions of greed, anger, etc. Perhaps, it is theorised, these may provide clues as to the presence of psychomachia – but Hermetic Law does not consider the results of this spell as evidence of such.
[B: 10, R: Touch +1, D: Concentration +1, T: Individual, +1 Requisite, +1 complexity]

The Sagittarian Form MuCo 35
Requisites: Animal, Vim
The caster, by use of this spell, transforms the lower part of their body into that of a horse, essentially becoming a Centaur. Suggested stats are below…
Characteristics: Mental attributes are the same as the maga. Str +4, Sta +3, Dex -2, Qik +2
Size: +2
Personality: Jovial +2, Freedom-loving +3, Philosophical +1
Combat:
Kick: Init +4, Attack 0, Defence +4, Damage +5
In addition, the maga may employ normal weapons using her own skills.
Soak: +3
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0/0, -1/-1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-7), -3 (8-14), -5 (16- 21), Incapacitated (22-28 )
Natural Abilities: Athletics 4 (long-distance running)
Natural Weapons: The weapon statistics for a centaur's kick are Init +2, Atk +2, Def +2, Dam +1.
[B: 10, R: Personal, D: Sun +2, T: Part +1, Requisites +2]
(The Vim requisite has been added because a centaur is a mythological creature rather than a mundane one – also just to make it a bit more of a challenge to learn or cast. The personality traits are included in case the individual spends too much time in this form, or botches the spell)

Swift Knife of the Chirugeon PeCo 30
Severs a gangrenous or otherwise infected limb so that the person might survive. The limb is removed at a joint along its length (i.e. for an arm it would be the wrist, elbow or shoulder) and comes away cleanly. The remaining wound must have ‘The Cauterising Flame’ cast immediately upon it, so that the person does not suffer the equivalent of a Heavy Wound. The target of this spell will pick up a flaw (e.g. missing hand) as a result of its use.
Determined to demonstrate that even arts traditionally associated with violence can be turned to healing, Canneta presents this spell as an alternative to Creo magics. It is unlikely that a Magus would wish such a drastic assault in the name of healing, but it has found use in saving the lives of companions and grogs in covenants where vis is scarce.
[B: 20, R: Touch +1, D: Momentary, T: Part +1]

Wound Transference ReCo 25
This spell allows up to a Heavy wound to be transferred from the target to the caster. The target is healed of that Wound; the caster receives it and suffers any penalty for it.
Canneta was certainly altruistic, but was also believed to possess some unusual restorative ability, tied to her magical blood. It is regarded as a curiosity by most magi, and laughable by some, but not widely adopted because of its inherent difficulty to cast.
This highly unusual spell involves a significant non-Hermetic element. As a result it cannot be mastered, is always cast stressed and the number of botch dice is doubled if a zero is rolled.
[B: 15, R: Touch +1, D: Momentary, T: Part +1; Ritual]
(A CrCo 25 would heal a Medium Wound, so I’ve allowed this to transfer a higher category of injury in order to give the spell some utility. The transferred wound would still need to be healed after all.)

A different (and much more controversial) choice would be to throw on a few magnitudes for complexity and not make it a ritual.

Are you kidding? Your spells are great! I should have said so before, it's just that the ones I've looked over so far I totally agreed with so had no comment on :smiley:

Ooh ... yes! Perhaps +2 for elaborate effect (making it ReCo 35). It would make the spell more useful (not to mention a darn sight quicker to cast!). The wound still exists, it hasn't been healed, so you could argue it doesn't infringe the Hermetic limitations. It's also a dangerous spell to cast, so players would still have to be cautious about using it.

Cheers! I hoped that would be the case, but then I'm a new boy on the block and this is a fairly quiet board. So I'm just being very proper with my netiquette :slight_smile:

I'm slowly working my way through the spells as well.
Maybe Atlas will use you as a freelancer ,
but don't give up the day job. :slight_smile:

hehe - I'm not holding my breath :wink:

These are all being created for an AM5 saga starting up soon and whilst I'm an old hand at AM3, I'm still getting used to the new rules and guidelines. As well as a resource for the saga it's also a way for me to get familiar with the effects - so when one of the players begs for a ruling on a spontaneous spell I can be fairly consistent.