Sense Holiness and Unholiness Penetration

I must admit I hadn't realised Magic Sensitivity is subject to MR as well. (It's not specified under the ability write-up, but I'm sure you're right that the general rule applies.) I also take your point that SS is working in a different way.

Well, Comprehend Magic is "a more comprehensive version of Magic Sensitivity." It doesn't just let you see that there is magic but actually dig into its nature, notably more than Magic Sensitivity. Comprehend Magic then goes on to say, "If observing a being with Magic Resistance, this power must penetrate, as usual; but even if the Penetration Total proves to be insufficient, the character is aware of the presence of magic if the Ease Factor was met." That would seem to suggest that simple awareness of the presence of magic through Magic Sensitivity may not require penetration.

1 Like

Applying Magic Resistance to the roll for using Magic Sensitivity to detect something with Magic Might leads to the strange situation where it is both lowering and raising the difficulty.

For magical creatures, 15 – one fifth of the creature’s Magic Might is appropriate, so for a creature with a Magic Might of 25, the Ease Factor would be 10.

If you require the roll to beat the MR, then that would require a total of 35 or higher. You are less likely to know powerful magical beings are "Magical", which seems counter intuitive.

1 Like