Shipping out

Eleni raises her right eyebrow and turns up her nose at Constantine and, having made her point, resolved to ignore her fellow apprentice. Instead she turns her gaze to Xene and makes the sign of the cross in sympathy.

Constantine shrugs, and looks at the Flambeaux out of the corner of his eye.

Tears begin to well in Xena's eyes and her lip begins to quiver slightly but she quickly regains composure and dries her eyes, reminding herself that her family may have escaped from the infernal depredations of these so-called Christians. Looking pleadingly at Artemis, "Please, if you can remember any of their names? Did those who escaped with you end up in Constantinople? Can you get them a message, let them know I am praying for them?"

Turning to Minos, "Can we find out if my family survived? My father is a shoemaker, Alexios Kallgas. I have five living..." pausing for a moment as she realizes how this may not be true anymore... "siblings, three girls and two boys..." She trails off looking at his face, expecting his answer to be no.

[Maybe a long shot with all the work they have to do in Thessaloniki but since they did just form the covenant last year I wonder if the "Ladies of Thessaloniki" are here on Delos somewhere...]

Minos looks gently on his young charge "we can certainly look into it." he glances towards Artemis who nods, "I will ask around, and let minos know in his letters."

Xene looks gratefully at both of them. "Thank you, both of you. It would mean so much." Obviously having no clue as to the likelihood of finding any news of whether these particular people are still alive among the scattered refugees or have died and were unrecognizable. Feeling sad but partially uplifted with hope she does the sign of the cross and silently thanks god for his infinite love.

Constantine looks at her, abashed. "I'm sorry, Xene. I hope they're ok."

"I forgive you."

The dinner continues on with topics drifting one to another, from current events and politics to developments within the order, to ribald conversation and many topics the apprentices cannot follow. After everyone has eaten a bell is rung at the front of the dining hall, and a list is read, names of magi, how many shards they have collected, and their offenses. After each name and list of offenses a vote is taken by show of hands whether the person is subject to ostracism. At the end there are 3 candidates for ostracism standing before the tribunal, and a jar is passed around to collect a secret ballot as to which is to be ostracized. At the end "no one" gets the most votes and the group steps down to retake their seats, but the evening has been greatly sobered by the vote. The new parens take their apprentices back to their rooms, where there is a sleeping pallet for each of them.

Daedalus takes a moment to speak with a redcap and hands him a bag of coins before proceeding to the room, and explains to Eleni "We do not have any cloth weavers, or clothiers, or craftspeople of cloth at Ingasia, so I have arranged for an agent to purchase cloth artwork, I would expect tapestries, but they may find clothing as well. I have specified they must be made by hand, not magic, and accordingly you will be able to study from them when you are not assisting me or engaged in other lessons in order to improve your ability. I will also see to it that a loom is produced or supplied as soon as possible, and will have what other tools you require made. While you are my apprentice in everything else, the development of your craft is your own responsibility, and an important one. If you have need of anything to pursue that end, speak to me or others at the covenant that I will designate. For all other things, you should wait until I have asked you a question before you speak. is this understood?"

Meanwhile Argus has a very different conversation with Antonio "Look here boy, I am a busy mage, you are my responsibility, and my property. yes you have the right to appeal any claim of abuse to the council, like they told you, I'm not going into that I'm sure they already talked your ear off about that. the point here is that I am not your father and I am not going to try and be your father. When you are with me you assist, or you study, to the best of your ability. When I do not have use for you, you can do as you wish, just don't get in my way or underfoot. the exception to this is that when I provide a tutor for you, you will take their instruction seriously. I will make a fine mage of you, and if you are smart you will use your free time in books to improve yourself still more, but I suspect you are going to waste that time chasing girls. I'm not going to waste my time trying to stop you, but if it brings trouble to my door, whether angry fathers or young women demanding marriage, there will be consequences. Do you understand?"

Artemis meanwhile is lying in her comfortable bed staring at the ceiling before she begins talking "I need you to understand something before we begin your training, perhaps I should have said this before selection. I have pledged myself to the defense of Constantinople, yes. There is a lot more to defending a city than fighting. yes, fighting can be significant, but most threats are not invading armies. they require investigation, the ability to blend in to your environment and ferret out information. It may be in the form of curses, diabolists, or simply criminals of ambitious dreams or being used by enemies of the city. It requires that we maintain a good standing with the citizens, develop our abilities at leadership, we can't save people who will not listen to the directions we provide. I am going to be growing as a teacher as you grow as a student. when we get to Constantinople, you will be presented to everyone outside the covenant as my son, and heir to my shipping interests, which are of course really the covenant's. from what your teachers told me you have a talent for secrets, finding them and protecting them. we will begin by opening your gift, but when I am not training you, or needing your assistance in the lab, I expect you to learn the city. just be aware that the aura within the city is divine, not magical. The exceptions are at the hippodrome and baths, which are ruins of Roman structures, and in certain sanctums within the houses which form our covenant. You will of course be introduced to the rest of the covenant at an appropriate social event, as well as learning the more hidden assets by which we meet and communicate."

Minos apparently believes that the former student requires no introduction to the covenant she has been at for some time, and goes directly to sleep. he snores, loudly.

Constantine replies, "I understand, mistress. I don't intend to seek out violence, but I thought to take the opportunity to learn from those who were present. I will do as you ask, it sounds fascinating, to be honest; I'm looking forward to it. Do they speak Greek in the city?"

Antonio Zoccarato

Antonio listened attentively to Argus. Already in his mind he thought of his master as ‘the Badger’, and this only strengthened the association. “I understand. I am to learn, and you are to teach, but only when it comes to becoming a magus. My mundane problems are mine to make, suffer, and solve; and, of course, to learn from.” Antonio smiled. That damn confident smile.

She chuckles "Constantinople is the capitol of the Byzantine Empire. Yes they speak Greek, though not exclusively."

Argus adds " and don't be making trouble for me, directly or otherwise"

Xene, no stranger to sleeping among others (though few of the orphans and novices snored so loud) attempts to go to sleep herself. Unluckily she can’t, wondering as she is about what the future holds beyond returning to the desolate island of Polyaigos.

Eventually she does drift to sleep, dreaming of Antonio.

Constantine goes to sleep, dreaming of one of the biggest cities in the world, and wondering if his name will be confusing.

Antonio Zoccarato

Antonio shrugged. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

Eleni listens attentively and her eyes widen a bit at the mention of having access to quality clothwork to study. "I understand Kyrie. However, shall I make a list of what tools my craft needs, aside from a loom, for your approval?

"That would be excellent." Daedalus sighs as he lies down to sleep.

Argus turns an eye towards Antonio "if my time is wasted having to answer to upset fathers and forlorn mages, I promise you it can get very bad indeed.'

Antonio Zoccarato

"That wasn't what I meant, master." Antonio sighed. He hated having to repeat himself. Sadly, he often had to. What seemed obvious to him was not obvious to the world at large, and so he was doomed to endlessly repeat himself if he wanted to be understood. "I meant: what's the worse that I could cause to happen, and not what's the worst that you could do to me. I don't need to be told the worst. I know the stories of Sissyphus, Tantalus, and all those suffering in Tartarus. I do not wish to suffer as they do."

Argus closes his eyes "Good, then make sure your troubles do not make it to my door."

this adventure gains all participants 5 xp