Skorba II return of Mggar

(OOC: trying to understand the phrasing. Is there sufficient space within the Aura 5 to meet his description and still be within that Aura?)

"Our sahirs will want to build on the site itself, both for research, and to preserve the site. My mason mentioned how badly damaged it had been eroded with the winter rains. Ideally we would want to restore the remains to something of their former glory. The sahirs said something about the stars aligning to increase their art. I'm not sure what exactly they meant, but I too felt something as I walked by this morning. I was inspired, such as by a strong muse; it felt like my art would be clearer, more regal if I crafted there."

"What would be the appropriate taxes, and by what method are they calculated? We are not rich, but intend to pay our fair share."

"Taxes are complicated, they are charged by household, depending on how many people are in the household, and for business, herd size, though I am guessing you have no herds, and the lord and his family change them every year, well some years they do not, but almost every year."

The edge of the level 5 aura might reach close enough to town to touch what he is talking about, but it is clear what he is proposing is having your establishment outside the aura.

"As for building on the site, I fear that will cause too many problems with the people of this town, and there is no way I can authorize that."

"Thank you for your candor, and for your hospitality. I will tell my fellows of your offer and see if they have anything to add that I have failed to impart. In the mean time, they are attempting to locate the other sites foretold in that stars, and will undoubtedly wish to survey them as well. If you have any need of me or my brethren, you can reach us at the caravan outside Mdina."

(OOC, no need to push hard. Yet. It may be time to see either the prince or my land management bureaucrat again.)

As Paphos leaves, he'll continue to survey the people and see if there are any people who don;t fit in and might be looking for a change in pace by hiring on with us, including any orphaned youngsters who might need a new home.

We will see how things unfold with Julia before we close this adventure.

Julia will sublty scrutinize the facial expression of the young girl, hoping to see if she is hiding something as she speaks.

"Oh ! That is absolutly true ! You might not have met him in person..." She quickly glance at the wait of the woman to see if she is wearing the belt that was lost`

"You see, that is absolutly true that he could be mistaken, and God knows he is more often than not! " she let out a fiendly laughter. "However, if he right, it would mean that you would possess some measure of magical powers, of which you might be aware of not. If you want to, he would like to speak with you in person."

The girl wears the same style belt, though it appears common around here. When Julia mentions magical ability the girl turns slightly pale. 'I would most certainly not want to meet whatever cad this is who spreads such stories about young women he has never met!" and she walks away briskly, crossing the street to avoid another pair of outsiders who seem to be looking around as well, but whom you have never met (Maffeo).

Julia tries to follow the young woman and shout: "Wait !"

Unfortunately, she is not very agile, and trips as she tries to avoid the stranger, scraping her hand in the fall.

"Ouch !" She exclaims, visibly upset

Paphos to the stranger: "Salaam, sidi, if you will excuse me?" He starts walking away, clearly somewhat annoyed, although it is not clear at what.

[tab][/tab]A young man in his early twenties approaches the village from the direction of Mdina. Dressed in greens and browns, stout cloth but of good quality, he wears an unusual hat, almost a sleek cap, with a straight goose feather on top. Clearly of Italian descend, his skin is untanned by the sun like someone used to be indoors. He surveys the Mediterranean vista with a small frown on his face, rocks, brambles and more rocks, with a lonesome tree here or there and no water save the sea in sight. The frown slightly deepens when he sees the group of people coming the other way.
[tab][/tab]First the girl scurrying away, then the other woman tripping in front of him, Maffeo watches the small drama unfold: “[color=blue]Are you hurt?” he offers in broken Arabic with a horrible slurring accent, a hand offered to the young lady on the ground. A quick look tells him she isn’t a local though. “[color=blue]Excuse me do you happen to speak Italian ?” he changes languages, speaking in a measured cadence. “[color=blue]Perchance you could assist me?”, helping the woman up. His eyes track the other man, clearly the leader of the group move aways, then focuses on the woman again.....

Julia takes the hand of the stranger and gets up.

"I do happen to speak italian, although it is not my native tongue", says the woman witouth any accent.

"I... I think I am fine", she looks at slightly injured hand. " It hurts a bit but I will survive. I am sorry I bumped into you, I am just not a very good runner..."

The young man ask for help, to which she anwsers:

"Perhaps I can, what is it that you need?

[tab][/tab] Maffeo considers the injured hand '[color=blue]That needs attending... perhaps some water...' he makes a small fussing motion with his hand, knowing little of such things. He then softly clears his throat and continues '[color=blue] My name is Maffeo di Piedmontes and I have arrived here from the main land. I am looking for some people, a small group of scholars, craftsmen and sages, who came some time ago to Malta to settle. An official in Mdina indicated that there were strangers asking to buy land here recently, so I came here to search for them.... '

Paphos pauses when he sees the stranger address Julia. "You have found some strangers, although I'm not sure if we are the ones you seek. What is your business with them?"

[tab][/tab]Maffeo blinks when addressed then turns towards the man “[color=blue] Well... my want at first is to talk to them. Learned men are rare these days. I would also offer my services to their leader or council if we both find each other agreeable”. He takes off his red hat, careful not to bunch it up in his hands “[color=blue] It seems that esteemed small group is looking for a place to settle here on the island. Is that true?”

Just realized that most people playing probably don't realize this- while Skorba is a short ways outside of Mggar, Ta Haggrat is actually in the town. Admittedly it only has an aura of 4, not 10 with an outer aura of 5, but it is there...

Julia smiles :

"Don Maffeo, would you be a member of the order of Hermes by any chance ?" she blows on her hand before continuing.

"Yes, you must be one, seeing how Paphos is all grumpy all of a sudden." She thinks for a moment, and adds : " A lot of mages have left what remained of the caravan of Jarcovius Ex Bonisagus recently, and I am certain that they will be glad to meet one of their sodales !"

She turns her head towards Paphos:

"Did you still have business to conduct here, or can we go back to the encampment ?"

I've gotten exactly nowhere with our business, which is the problem. To Maffeo, yes, we seek to establish a hospital in these Isles, but it must be at exactly the right place, of which there are few. The locals have a fear of the local site, probably well founded.

Hakima sees the group and hurries towards them. Not wanting to miss them. She asks in Arabic "Wait, wait! I'm sorry are you the people who want to build a hospital near the ruins? Please just a moment this is important. " then repeats in broken Latin "You want to build hospital? Is Important.", before saying a brief prayer in Arabic "Allah please let it be them." she sounds a bit flustered.

[tab][/tab] Maffeo is a bit wary as the woman kind of blurts all this information in the middle of the street. Then again it's in Italian and the locals probably haven't even heard of the Order. More intriguing were the words of the man Paphos. Were they trying to build an inn or a guest house of some kind?
[tab][/tab] Just as he was about to ask, a local came running and shouting towards them. He decids to take a background place, and discretely offers Julia his small water-skin.

Julia smiles to the newcomer, and respond to her in arabic:

"Slow down, ah ah ! There is no hurry. What is your name ?" Suddenly, her visage show concern as if suddently realizing: "Urgent ? Is someone you know in need of care ?"