Solo play - Theodosis ex Trianoma

I am trying to create a non-hermetic mystery cult and would appreciate some help and suggestions. The idea is that Theodosis will be introduced to this cult, but will have to self-initiate some mysteries to keep them aligned with his hermetic abilities. So first, I am designing a non-hermetic cult, mostly for non-gifted people.

A Mystery Cult – the Songs of YesterYear

A non-hermetic Mystery Cult

As the first story was told by a man, the need to remember it was born. So according to the Mystagogues of this cult, it always existed, in every civilization since the dawn of time. There is very likely some exaggerations, but it is true that the cult is old and is not of roman origins. It can easily be traced back to the Celtic bards, but claiming that it exists under different name across the world is a stretch… probably.

The members of this secret cult share a common interest in stories and preserving them. Stories, tales or History – all are good for them to be remembered. Tales make people dreams, can sooth pain, bring comfort, hope or just entertain. History is there to remember mistake and great achievement of the past, to inspire people to greatness.

Traditionally, most members belong to a storyteller casts: bards, poets, rhymesters, trouvères. But there is also a smaller number of them who dedicated their life to collecting those stories, retrieving them to pass them on, more akin of an historian, a seeker of sort. Although they belong to the same society, they have a different take on what matters the most: for the storyteller faction, it is about the most beautiful, most moving stories, for the historians’ faction it is about the authenticity of the story, how close it is from the original version – whether it is a faerie tale or an historical event. There is disagreement on what matter the most, but there is so much stories that usually they are too busy to argue for long.

Introduction to the Cult

The candidate has been observed for a while by a member of the cult, and must have shown keen interest in knowing the lore and history, as well as having a good understanding of the Art of Memory (at least +3).

To help in their task of collecting and keeping information, they have designed several initiation scripts to enhance their abilities.

The Outer circle: Witness

Initiate of this rank are requested to gather tales and bear witness of meaningful events. They are in probation to show their worth, but also what they will do with their knowledge. To help them in this endeavor, they could be taught: Puissant (Art of Memory), Linguist (HoH: TL), Bardic Education.

Typical script: Witness an historical moment or uncover a new tale (Quest: +3), spend time listening in silence, without judging people (Sacrifice of time: +1), he will feel the urge to look for story (Minor ordeal for a minor personality flaw: +3).

Other quest could involve stealing books and memorize an important fact hidden in it,

The Inner circle

Once they have proved that they don’t misused what they have learnt, the inner circle will open to the, where more skills will be shared depending on their contribution.

As Storyteller, they will travel their area to share history and tales as story dies if it is not remembered. They could be taught: Puissant (Profession: Storyteller), Inspirational.

But there is also a more esoteric aspect of this cult. You don’t remember history of the world without knowing more secret and mystical knowledge.

Dream Magic: To share their story across large distance, cult members meet in the Dreamland and are taught the equivalent of Dream magic which allow them to practice lucid dreaming – however, unless they are gifted with supernatural abilities, they cannot cast spells.

Ghostly warden: some cultists keen on digging forgotten stories will be initiated to find a ghostly companion, by befriending a spirit of an historian or other knowledgeable.

Student of (Faerie, Magic): spending so much time telling and gathering story, you will get acquainted with some of the supernatural realm. In some rare case, a cultist will get some Divine Inspiration – gazing on the history of man might have got them a glimpse on the Great Plan. By the same token, some brave souls consider that the Ashen realm belong also to the history of man as it tells the story of his fall.

Script involving a quest could be about winning a Disputatio (on historical facts, dead character life), achieving a fame of +5 as Storyteller, uncovering a forgotten part of a story by bargaining with a ghost.

Script with a Major Ordeal could involve retrieving well-hidden information, warranting the flaw Enemies, Greater malediction or Plague by Supernatural Entity.

Student of…: could come with the minor ordeal Faerie companion or Magical Animal companion.

Becoming a Living ghost

Finally, there is persistent rumor that once a cultist has reached a great deal of knowledge, he will be visited in his dream and be inspired to become an eternal keeper of stories, by committing a ritual suicide (no dissimilar to the Criamon death ritual – did Criamons borrowed this technique ?), allowing him to become a ghost with eternal lucid dreaming abilities. His memory palace manifest in the Dreamland, and cultist can petition the ghost to learn from him, but also to complete his story collection.

2 Likes

Year eight – Knight of the Meadows

Last winter had been very fulfilling for Theodosis. Dearbhail divulge to him the existence of this group of storyteller, keepers of memory and collectors of tales.

“As far as I know, we don’t have a mage in our rank, at least none from your Order. Between your thirst for knowledge and your abilities, you would be a good candidate. Will you be interested in joining?”

“Well, you understand that me being part of the Order of Hermes, I have to abide to certain rules, one of them it to be rather discreet about the Order itself. However, I can be very efficient at digging old mysteries. So, I think we could make it work. In fact, I am very keen on learning the little history, the one that does not get told.”

“Let’ see if you can be a good Witness. I heard that nearby Lough Dereg, there was some troubles brewing, involving a knight and the free village of Portumna.”

OOC: This year was supposed to have two adventures (both with an extra +2, that’s what you get by rolling 1,1,0,0 and 8), fortunately, they were both easy for a final difficulty of 10 (no more period of grace). Both adventures were happening in the same season (Spring), so I decided that it will be a good time to have a quest, as part of the initiation script. In Winter, Theodosis was taught the basic on Songs of YesterYear Lore. I want to get cracking on that so I can see how this initiation process works and how long it takes. Once he has the basics, he will be working on self-initiation since he will need to get the hermetic equivalent for some virtues they want to initiate.

The challenge for Theodosis was going to be a silent witness. No meddling. At least, it should keep him out of trouble!

As they arrived in Portumna, there was a great gathering of the dozens of families making the heart of the village. A well-dressed man, looking like a squire, was talking:

“Good folks of Portumna, I can assure you that my master wishes only the best for this village. This is why he is offering you his protection and gifts. If you pay him homage and a small tithe, he will make sure that Portumna grows the best barley of the county. Your beer will become famous all-around Hibernia. In exchange, he wants you to pay him proper respect by organising every Spring, a three-day celebration, and gifting him with the best barrel of beer you would have brewed.”

“Well, I say to Hell with his lordship! We did not get rid of Lord Barnaby to serve another do-nothing master.”

“Hey shut up Sean, you have a big mouth, but where we you when we kicked away the Lord? You were supposedly “bed-ridden” …”

… and the arguing lasted for a good hour before it started to calm down.

What good witness he would be if Theodosis did not try to know a little more about this knight. Rather unorthodox approach to conquer a village.

As the squire was letting the villagers debate between themselves, Theodosis brought him a mug of ale. “Where are you from, I missed the beginning of the speech?”.

“My, that’s mighty generous of you, my throat is parched! I am at the service of Lord Arwald, a noble knight who unfortunately was stripped by his cousin of his crown.”

As the squire was painting a panegyric of his master, Theodosis started to notice several details: the golden brooch with a blazon of three blossoming flowers, the discreet, yet rather large bee, tuck nearby the shirt’s collar. Could it be… a Bee king… from a Summer court…

“Would I be mistaken, if the rude cousin was none other that Sir Bressal the Fifth? Are they not both courting Lady Una of the Golden Meadows?”

“Oh! What an educated man, well-versed in the intrigue of the Court. But to answer your question, yes, you are right. And to earn the right to marry Lady Una, both lords must have a dowry of large pasture and fields.”

By a good usage of little lies, generous amount of ale and a couple of discreet spells, Theodosis managed to get the full picture. And the village of Portumna was going to be just a pawn in this protracted chess game that Spring and Summer lords were playing for their entertainment.

He could slip some information left and right, dropping some hints to let the villagers know where they were going… he could… until he felt the gaze of Dearbhail on his neck… “Right, silent witness”.

“Well Dearbhail, I believe I have everything I need for an interesting story…” as he was preparing to leave, before his nature got the better of him.

“I beg your pardon master and mistress, you look well educated and you don’t belong here. So, would younsay you don’t have any biased towards Portumna or this Lord Arwald. Do you know how to write by any chance ?”

“But yes, of course. How can I be of assistance?” replied Theodosis. Well, it would be very rude not to help when requested to do so, no ?

“Well, you see, you heard about the proposal and we want to go with it, but we learned the hard way to have a proper Chart, establishing the… how do you say… the rights and duties of each side. Would you mind writing it down for us?”

After getting parchment, ink and quills, Theodosis went to work. He almost faithfully wrote down words for words what each side was telling him. He might have innocently asked question like “how large the keg of ale to be gifted?” and “how generous would be the harvest under the Lord protection?”, nothing much, at least nothing suspicious enough to raise either side eye-browns, but just enough to make sure Portumna village would get something good out of it.

“You will always be welcome in Portumna sir!”

“You are very welcome folks of Portumna, I won’t miss the next brew!”

Later that night.

“Did you not intervene?”

“Me? Absolutely not! I was just probing the squire to have a full picture of the situation.”

“I am not talking about that, I am referring to the Chart.”

“I had to ask some questions to make sure everything was clear otherwise the Chart would be worthless. That’s the basic of any negotiation. I learned it the hard way while purchasing my lab. That’s a story for another time.”

“Do you know about Faerie bargain?”

“That’s sound like an interesting topic, would you like to tell me more about it?” asked innocently Theodosis. Dearbhail looked at him intensely, but this time Theodosis did not flinch, so “he must be truthful” thought Dearbhail.

OOC: all combined, there was a Social challenge (interaction with the Squire), a Subterfuge/Stealth situation (gathering more info and lying to Dearbhail) and a Legal challenge (writing the contract).

Although an easy challenge, it become a rating 10 without the period of grace and the two extra points. So, several spells were used to insure complete success throughout all three challenges. All Mentem spells (posing the silent question, Thought within Babble, Perception of Conflictive motive and Aura of Ennobled presence).

Dearbhail has Prs + Lore of +9 and she needs a total of +15 to initiate Puissant (Art of Memory) since she had it. He needs to perform another quest to complete the initiation. He had been able to witness and memorise a complete story, the next quest must involve Theodosis retelling faithfully a story.

2 Likes

Year nine – The Song of YesterYear

It is far too easy as a mage to get absorb into our studies and forget about what is happening around us. For example, the Waterford ghost story as I recall, happened just yesterday. Truth is, it was already three years ago, and much things happen since then. But since, us, mages of the Order, have to keep as much as possible away from the mundane history, I feel that nothing happen.

As I am walking the path of the Witness, my duty is to remember. I have to remember the victories of Killaloe and Limerick, the skirmishes of the Silvermine Mountains, the defeats of Cashel and the massacre of Croc Aine. Hundreds of deaths on both sides. And it would be so easy for us to tilt the battle one way or another, or to broker a peace where nobody would have sore feelings. Yet, we consider this beneath us, or we are afraid to attract the attention of either Light or Dark Realms. Are we really living or are we more akin to Faes, witnessing human lives and toying with them when the needs arise, when they are of some uses for our schemes?

Journal of Theodosis, ex-Trianoma, year 12XX

This year, Theodosis spent most of his time around Lough Dereg. And he did not miss the second brew of Portumn, not its first festival. It gave him plenty to think, yes, he did meddle a tiny bit with mundane business, but so far, it seems it was benefiting the community. And many cultures have this person who is in charge of negotiating, bargaining or communicating with the supernatural realm. Am I really infringing on the Code or just re-enacting a lost role?

As he was contemplating the nature of being a mage in the room of the Smoking Fish Inn…

Knock, knock.

“Master Bard, there is an envoy of Lord Barnaby, and err… you need to come. Please?”

“My name is Theo of Athen, bard in training. How can I be of assistance?”

“Lord Barnaby granted – reluctantly – freedom to the village of Portumna, and a few years later they are celebrating and paying tithe to another lord? He won’t tolerate another knight among his territory if said knight does not take an oath.”

Oh boy, here we go again… meddling with the mundane. Maybe there is after all a good reason why we should refrain. It is like taking care of a baby… except that they don’t grow, they don’t learn.

“As I was first witness in this affair last year, I would gladly enlighten your Lord. As apprentice of Dearbhail the High Bard, it is my duty to relate the story as it unfold, without biased and to the best of my recollection.”

The envoy was slightly taken aback by such formal display, but seems favorable impressed.

“Don’t mess it up, Theodosis, don’t mess it up…"

“So, as you understand, Your Lordship, although Lord Arwald is a knight and carries rightful the title of Lord, he is not really from this dominion. It is possible that he would accept to swear an Oath of Fealty to you, but – if I may – I would advise against it. I am sure your personal advisor will concur with me that when dealing with the Courts, whatever the shade, it is hard to strike a fair bargain.”

“That is quite a Tale, I have to say. I want to have it recorded down!”

“And what was your role in that?”

“Very little indeed. As part of my companion tour across the land, I was listening and committing to memory this tale as it was unfolding in front of me. A rather rare opportunity. As I was the only educated man around, I was asked to write the Chart, but I kept my role as simple scribe. Would you like me to write a copy of such Chart? It would complement your record, and serve as a teaching tool for the next generation possibly…”

“That would be much appreciated. Be my guest for this occasion.”

--

“Let’s see what’s happening in the Portumna in the meantime… just a little bit of scry… Hooo…Intellego… what’s… “

Theodosis suddenly became translucent…

OOC: not only did I failed the Perception roll, but I botched it. I randomly checked what was the Loss (regardless of the overall success of the challenge, a botch always brings a loss), and it was a Twilight episode. So I decided that it happened while Theodosis wanted to check how things were going on in Portumna – maybe something to do with a Faerie aura ? Let’s use that as an illustration of the Twilight rules.

Entering Twilight: 0 (Sta) + 1 (bonus from Vim form) + 3 (die) vs 0 (warping score) +2 (number of warping points gained) + 7 (die)… Damn it.

Comprehending: +3 (Int) + 5 vs 0 + 22 (rolled a 1 followed by a 2)… a least he would get something out of it.*

Duration: 2 minutes

Effect: 2 additional Twilight points (on top of the 2 gained by the botch itself), Twilight scar: people seems to speak more clearly in Theodosis presence (since it was an Intellego spell, I find it appropriate), Learning: new spell (magnitude 2, so InIm10 Discern Truth from Falsehood), again, thematically appropriate.

Dearbhail jumped of surprise.

“Where were you? It looks like there was a kind of ghost of you, except you were not moving… Is it one of your magical trick?”

“You can say so… just a minor interruption.”

“I saw your Chart and read the story written by the Lord’s scribe. Very accurate, very detailed. Not very heroic, but quite entertaining. Was the warning about meddling with the faeries needed?”

“It was a last-minute addition. I thought that a good story should have a kind of message at the end, a way to say, why was it worth to listen it, what would I take from it. You see ?”

“I think it is time to leave, we have something business to attend.”

From dawn to dusk, Theodosis had sentences threw at him in many languages, several he did not even understood. And he had to repeat them, them to repeat the one said three sentences before, then seven sentences before, then eleven… and so on and so forth. He was exhausted, his head hurt and he could not think straight. He did not know you could get hangover from words.

“Me, Dearbhail Og, Keeper of YesterYear, welcome you, Theodosis of Athen, as Witness of YesterYear.”

The five other members of the Song clapped and cheered their new companions.

“And what was this language you used on the 152nd sentence?”

“It was a pictish love declaration!”

“It was just after some insult from Normandy!”

“Admit that Rus rolls of the tongue, like if you were singing.”

“Scottish hurts my hear!”

“What? I dare you to repeat that! That’s the most beautiful….”

“Shut up McIntosh, don’t start again, empty your mug and toast…”

“Hahahah…”

Much drinking, carousing and cursing ensued.

2 Likes

Year ten – Thou Shall walk the Dream alone

Dearbhail mentioned that it is only for the initiation of Witness that members of the Song gather, a rather rare occurrence. Most of their discussion and gathering happen in the Dreamland, where they can manifest their palace of Memory for others to experience some specific souvenirs. But despite her best effort, it seems that Theodosis does not respond well to the first phase of this initiation.

“It is not unheard of that some members, especially when they are unusually gifted, must seek by themselves a way to reach the Dreamland. I can give you some directions, but it is a path too personal for me to walk with you.

“The Harpist could possibly help you. He is… or he was a great Keeper. He still roams his favorite spot, where he composed his greatest songs… 300 years ago, on the cliffs nearby O’Brien tower.”

“300 years ago… a ghost then?”

“Yesss… true… otherwise it would not be a proper initiation, wouldn’t it ?”

OOC: So Dream magic is an minor Hermetic virtue that would match the virtue used by ungifted member of the Song. So Theodosis needs to create an Experimental Script (p18, The Mysteries). He will have to check the Validity of the rite (simple die+ R.Mod. + 3 (Int) + 3 (MC Lore) vs 9 + Proposed Bonus.

Then an initiation total of 1 (Prs) + 3 (MC Lore) + Script bonus + Risk modifier vs 18 (initiation of a virtue he does not have). Basically, he needs a Script bonus around 12-14, which means a Validity check around 21-23… okay… maybe some more homework are required.

This is all meta-gaming. So Theodosis will still go on quest, and then he will realise what he needs to do.

“The beautiful and long Summer sunset is something that, even after 300 years, he cannot be bored of. It should be an appropriate time to meet the Harpist.”

Focused, eyes closed, Theodosis felt more than he heard the light tingling of a harp. The sound was becoming clearer and he waited, carefully listening to the tune, then the lyrics came, a language he heard only a few times during his initiation… Fortunately, he had a spell to take care of that, it would have been rude to interrupt the performer and ask him to translate it. Especially so close to the cliff, a little push and he was gone for a long flight.

The protective ring that he erected a while ago was only mildly reassuring.

The song was about mighty sorcerer giants from another age, the first to live in Hibernia and their doom, from a powerful curse uttered by an equally powerful group of druids, Hibernian druids, going by the thrice-cursed name of Diedne.

After an hour of singing, the Harpist stopped.

“Bigger men than you would have run away well before the second couplet. Who are you, young man?”

“I am Theo of Athen, Witness of the Song and I am on a quest. I am a petitioner, seeking advice from a master Keeper.” And that how started the discussion between the Harpist and Theodosis.

Several days later.

“You are a gifted man, Theo of Athen, but what makes you powerful also prevent you from entering the Dreamland. I can lead you once, but it will be up to you to find your way again. Try to remember as much as you can during our travel.”

“How are you going to lead me there, may I ask?”

“The only way a man of my nature can, you will have to let me in…”

“Err… in me? Like a possession?”

“Yes… that is the price to pay.”

Theodosis remembered a drowsy walk across the Labyrinth of Forgetfulness, a glide above the Sea of Oblivion, then the Ivory gate. Then, suddenly as if he sobered up instantly, he was walking, more like sliding on the trail leading to a huge circle made by a dozen of tall stones, each of them with four, five carved niches. In each niche a very intricated sculpture, a delicately carved tablet or a parchment covered with hundreds of lines in tiny characters.

And then, the voice of the Harpist.

“Now, I will collect my reward”. And he blacked out.

Stretching in a bed… in a bed? How so? I had my blanket under a tree…

“Hey honey, what a night…” said the young red-haired girl, “looks like you did not touch a girl since a while…”.

Theodosis muttered to himself “Three hundred years later, it looks like one still misses the sweet embrace of the flesh, Harpist. That, we share in common”.

OOC: Obviously, Theodosis cannot self-initiate – yet – and I won’t take the easy way of saying, there is a guy knowing the right script, after all Dream magic is an hermetic virtue. Theodosis will create an hermetic branch of the Song. So he needs to increase his knowledge of the Lore and his Presence.

As ex-Tenentes and considering his network and allies, he can reasonably be put in contact with a mage knowing the ritual to increase his Presence. However, it will be a difficult adventure to convince him to cast the ritual (social) or a complex (social and magical), difficult adventure to make him re-invent the ritual to reduce the Warping. Also, because the very nature of each Mystery Cult, I don’t think it is reasonable that because one Cult knows how to initiate a given virtue, they will share the initiation script with another cult simply because they “share” the same virtue. Their philosophy, their teachings are very different, and a common virtue does not make them “friends”.

OOC: The adventure was a complexe, hard adventure, with a social and a magical situation. He failed one roll in each situation, a magical lore roll and a Intrigue roll. He did not see the possession coming as a price to pay and was not able to get more from the Harpist than the path to the Dreamland. It will be used as a Quest in the Initiation script he is trying to create.

As an additional test, Theodosis succeeded in memorizing the Harpist song, although he did not understand a single word of it – he did understand the meaning of it though thanks to Thought Within Babble. He succeeded with an exceptional roll of 22 (base 12 – one-hour conversation, +6 for a completely foreign language). It was just an afterthought,after I wrote the paragraph, it is the kind of thing that Theodosis will try to do. Because he is a kind of an overachiever and wants to show (off) to Dearbhail that, yes, he is good at that stuff.

3 Likes

Year eleven – meeting a Cult of Heroes member?

Illiona had been a great help. She agreed to seek on behalf of Theodosis a mage able to enhance his charisma. It did not take her long as rumours are circulating that among the few Mercere mages the house has, some have a unique expertise with very powerful rituals. But they are not sharing it freely.

Master Coriolis from Normandy was such mage. Fortunately, Theodosis had excellent relationship with RedCaps and they vounched for him, so Coriolis was willing to listen. Theodosis did not go to Normandy since he left for Hibernia, and in Portumna, there was a trail, a faerie trod in fact, that would bring him to the Purple Cherries Orchard, on the coast of Brittany. That would save him some travel time.

“Master Coriolis, I am studying the bardic tradition, and became recently a bard myself. However, my hermetic education did not prepare me to be inspirational. To go further on the path of bardic expertise, I would need to.. impose more, to have more charisma.”

“I might be able to help you. From what I heard, you have been quite supportive of my brethren sodales. Yet, I would need more proof of your intention…”

Coriolis was testing him, but it was not worse than his Bonisagus gauntlet. Theodosis demonstrated his memory ability and his deep knowledge on Hibernia. However, what sealed the deal was the few words of Pictish he repeated.

“The forgotten tongue…

“As you know, I was a seasoned traveler during my youth, and I always had a knack for languages. But I only managed to ever found a few words of this tongue. I knew it existed, but it seems to have been thoroughly erased. Not simply forgotten, erased. At least, it is my theory. If you promise me to bring me some texts or put me in contact with people speaking this language, I would grant your request.”

OOC: So, it was complex adventure, hermetic in origin, with a social aspect and a magical aspect.

Obviously, it was about finding the competent mage, convincing him that Theodosis was worth casting the ritual and agreeing on a price – besides the ritual cost itself.

The three social skills were Intrigue (Theodosis did not want to disclose the real reason and the existence of the Song of YesterYear), Folk Ken (using his network to be put in contact with Coriolis) and Hibernia Lore combined with Art of Memory as a proof of his bardic education.

Finally, Magic Theory and Magic Lore to discuss about pictish language and theorizing his mystical potential (he failed the magic Lore test, so the origin of this language remains a mystery for now).

Since it was an overall success, I considered that the ability to have his Presence raised by paying the ritual was the appropriate reward (24 paws of virtus and the promise of providing some Pictish text).

2 Likes

Year twelve – time for study

No adventure for two years in a row (although a 0 meant that the next one will be slightly tougher).

So, improvement in various skills and Arts. Theodosis reaching +6 in Song of YesterYear Lore means that he can start considering self-initiation. He is a rather atypical Bonisagus – not really by design, just because this is what I feel was needed for Theodosis to survive – no minor/major focus, no strong Art, a light specialization, but it is more reflected in his spell list than in his Art level. But a lot of skills – he looks more like a Jerbiton that a Bonisagus, but it is maybe what Trianoma mages ?

Year thirteen – Self Initiation

OOC: The past seasons, Theodosis Presence raised to +3 and his MC: Song of YesterYear +6. At the same time, he got a warping score of 1, gaining 2 extra Twilight point by getting the Ritual to increase his presence casted twice on him. There was not need to reinvent the spell, for High level effect with Mom duration, only one TP is gained.

He can try a self-initiation process to acquire the Dream Magic minor virtue.

The script is the following: Find a ghost of a Keeper and let him bring you to the Dreamland door (quest, +3), and "pay the price" (sacrifice, +1).

Then prepare a concoction of rare herbs (+1, sacrifice of money) that will put the initiate into a deep sleep, during which, the initiate will make his way to the Ivory gate (+1 sympathy bonus). When the initiate wakes up, one eye will remain in eternal sleep, granting the flaw “Missing eye” to the initiate (Ordeal, +3). For a final Script of +9.

The validity test is Int (+3) + Lore (+6) + die (9) +2 (Risk) vs base (9) + Script (9), so 20 vs 18.

The experimentation die was 4 +2 (Risk), so a side benefit, granting the Initiate a Personality trait of Patient +2 – he knows that things take time, valuable lessons even longer.

So finally, he managed to self-initiate the Dream magic virtue, and losing one eye. Statistically, I had about 38% chance of making the Validity check, but since the purpose is to try thing and not min-max stuff, why not try.

The year had been busy. Lots of studies, including patching his lack of Arts knowledge. He probably would need to get an apprentice soon after his third Tribunal, definitely before his fourth Tribunal. Since a while, he had this idea that crawled into his mind… he remembered when he was a few years into his apprenticeship, just barely able to read Latin, Ourania has tasked him to sort a huge pile of tractati and other texts with the instruction to “Use your best judgment to organize this mess. That will be a test of your intuition…”.

He managed to do a good job sorting into “Plagiarized work”, “Textbook copy”, “Unoriginal”, “Promising”, “Worth exploring”… and he had been left with a single Imaginem tractatus. The author was claiming that species where leaving – although briefly – an imprint in the aether as they were travelling to their target. And the same way a good archer is able to know where an arrow had been shot from, it is possible to retrace where the species are coming from, and with a magic powerful enough, it is possible to keep retracing further and further species backward, allowing to glimpse in the past. The author was not hypothesizing, he was claiming he did it, unfortunately, he did not attach a spell or a detailed method to explain how to achieve that…

“Mistress, I have this tractatus and… well, it looks like nonsensical rambling if I believe in the Limit of Magic, but… you know… I feel he could be onto something.”

Ourania raised an eyebrown. “Let me see…”. Silence. Muttering. Then, carefully rolling the parchment, “When looking into the value of the research, you have to consider the progress it brings to Magic, but you also have to consider the… how shall I say… the practicality of it. You see, so far, time is the great equalizer, like Chronos eating his children, what is absorbed by Time stays there. And sometimes, it is good to be able to forget.”

“Yes, but mistress, you are always telling me that my head is like a pumice stone, full of holes. That could help me, no?”

“With enough effort you will learn, but believe me, sometimes you will wish to be able to forget. Forever.”

“That’s what Perdo Mentem is for, no?”

“Enough child! Go check the vis distillation, and don’t mix the wrong essence.”

She did not say the tractatus was nonsense though…

3 Likes

OOC: work has been... demanding with the Covid, so I had to put aside my imaginary friend's adventures.

Year fourteen – Foundation of the Wandering Outpost

During his travels across Hibernia, Theodosis found an interesting little regio. It is magical regio, that tend to glide nearby the Faerie High roads. Theodosis also found out that although most hedge wizards are aware of the Coill Tri, they often have trouble finding a representative of the Order to consult on certain situations. So, over the past few years, an idea started to form. Considering both his knowledge of Hibernia traditions and his knowledge of the Order, Theodosis could fulfill this advisory role. It will also give him a nice opportunity to meet a many different mages.

Obviously, if he was to found a covenant, there will be the issue of the Cathach, but he has an idea on how to manage that…

OOC: I want to keep the concept of the mobile covenant, but there is only so much that can be done with a bunch of travelling carts – beyond a certain size, it is a caravan and not anymore conspicuous. Also, the solo play works better when a mage is on its own – I have some ideas on how to adjust the rule for a mage in a large covenant, but it is still work in progress.

“The need to re-inforce the Cnoc Maol Reidh showed that our sodales of Coill Tri do not know very well our Order and how to reach for us. Considering the trouble time we are living in, the war with the English, some possible interferences from Stonehenge, I believe there is a need to make ourselves more available. It will strengthen our position, and by the same token, we will gather more information.

“So, this is my proposal, until the next Tribunal, I would like to organize a kind of a mobile office, the Wandering Outpost, where hedge wizards could come for advice and report. The established covenants do not need to disclose where they are or advertise more their location, maintaining a level of secrecy that suits the Order. A schedule of the Wandering Outpost location will be available until next moon, for wizards to contact me and for RedCaps to come collect information and queries.

“I understand that a proper covenant needs a Cathach and defend it for a year before being granted this status. I do not wish the Wandering Outpost to be an exception. So instead of being a covenant, I would propose to treat the location like a Mercere house – a neutral ground, enjoying the immunity and protection of the Code. In exchange, I will forfeit my rights to vote and handover my sigil to the Praeco of the Tribunal. I would also request that at least once a moon, a redcap visit the Wandering Outpost. Besides that, I won’t request further support from the Tribunal. You know my reputation, and you know that I earned the trust of many hedge traditions.”

“A few seasons ago, Theodosis approached me with his idea, and I help him refine the concept, said Hieronimus the Pralixian. I can also attest that he is in good standing with many Coill Tri members. I support is proposal as his request is both beneficial and reasonable.”

Although there was several questions and requests for clarification from various mages and Coill Tri representatives – how much will he charge for his services, will it be safe haven for hedge wizards, and so on - the fact that he was not asking for vis or powers and was trying to fit the status of the Wandering Outpost within what already existed in the Tribunal raised not much opposition. The more English-oriented mages were opposed, but they were outnumbered and did not have strong counter-arguments.

Finally, Milvia, the Praeco, spoke: “We have consulted our sodales ex-Guernicus and they agree that such proposal could fit within the Peripheral Code, without much change. Considering that the status is requested for a temporary period, we reserve the right to review it at the next Tribunal, where we will decide if it will become a permanent fixture of the Hibernia Tribunal or won’t be needed anymore.”

Once said, many cheers and congratulations came from the mages and wizards.

“Am I finding my way, finally?” thought Theodosis.

OOC: It was an easy challenge, with a simple Social challenge. It was the opportunity to set up my mage in a covenant by himself, however I had to take in consideration the specificity of Hibernia, so I came with the idea, which fits with his past adventures.

There was also an earlier adventure that I will not recount in details, just the highlights. It was a hard, complex adventure, involving a merchant (common setting), with a magical challenge and a stealthy one.

Theodosis succeeded in all three tests of both challenges. So I waved into what Theodosis successfully managed to negociate to establish the Wandering Outpost, like land rights (although it is mostly in a wandering regio), equipments, furnitures. Since the difficulty was 15, it means two major boons, which are “Regio” (obviously) and Powerful Ally (Coill Tri seems suitable).

2 Likes

Theodosis, filius of Ourania, Trianoma, 7 years out of apprenticeship (34 years old, 14 years out of apprenticeship)

Int : +3, Per : +1, Prs : +3, Com : +2, Str : -2, Sta : +0, Dex : +0, Qik : -1

Virtues : Puissant Intrigue, Tenentes (Spring) replaced by Bardic Education, Puissant and Affinity with MT, Gentle Gift, Apt Student, Inventive Genius, Harnessed magic, Free study, Puissant (Art of Memory – initiated), Dream Magic (self-initiation)

Flaws : Lecherous, Driven (make major progress in MT), Careless sorcerer, Chaotic magic, Deficient (Animalem), Weak magic, Missing Eye (self-initiation)

Improve Presence through rituals; virtues and flaw due to his initiation and self-initiation into the Mystery of the Song of YesterYear.

His skills:

Native Language (Greek): +5, Latin: +4, English: +3, Gaelic: +4, Certamen: +4, Parma: +3, Artes Liberales: +5, Charm: +2, Intrigue: +3(+2), Hibernia Lore: +4, Art of Memory: +5

Stealth: +1, Survival: +1 – souvenir from his childhood. No improvement there.

Magic realm Lore: +4 – improve thanks to Dearbhail’s teaching.

MT: +5 (+2), Hermes Lore: +3 – it was about time to improve his MT, considering I want to play with Inventive Genius instead of learning from labtext and Hermes Lore was needed for his advisory task.

Folk ken: +5 – a bit tired of failing those rolls he was supposed to be good at.

Awareness: +2, Civil and Canon Law: +3 – slight improvement through XP adventures.

Arts : Cr 8, In 10, Mu 8, Pe 4, Re 6, Co 5, Im 10, Me 10, Te 5, Vim 10 – slight improvement – barely enough to invent a few Dream magic spells (they have requisit, sometimes more than one).

Spells : Summoning the Distant Image, Aura of Ennobled Presence, Veil of Invisibility, Ring of Warding against Spirit (15), Coerce the Spirit of the Night (20), Scent of Peaceful Slumber, Lay to Rest the Haunting Spirit (10), Perception of the Conflictive Motive, Posing the Silent Question, Seeing the Magical Regio, Seeing the Faerie Regio, Thought within Babble.

New spells: Discern Image of Truth and Falsehood (InIm 10, from Twilight episode), Panic of the Trembling Heart (a small offensive spell), The Lucid Dreamer, The Path to Lemnos (invented through experimentation, with a major benefit: the target and the caster bodies become almost invisible)

So his « covenant » stats evolved into the Wandering Outpost:

Hooks : constantly mobile (major), wooden (minor), it remains. Instead of being a few carts, moving around, it is now a regio moving along Fearie Trods.

Boons : Resources – Rights (minor), Informants (minor), Veteran fighter and loyal coven folk, Allies: Ex Miscellanea (Pralixian), Good reputation(Coill Tri), Felicitous Tribunal, Hidden ways. These are boons he had before.

New boons: Regio and Powerful ally - both Major boon.

Mikaelis, his personal bodyguard (specialist with Str +2, Sta +2, Sword +6, Athletics +5, Leadership: +4) – I added a few skills to show his evolution (bought with extra BP built up during the past 7 years).

Conlay O'Shien, his local guide (specialist with Per +2, Com +2, Dex: +2, Area Lore +4, Awareness +4, Canon and Civil Law +4, Stealth: +4) – I added Stealth and Dex

Enoc'h the Skald (teacher, Com +3, Teaching +4, Gaelic +5, Hibernia Lore +5, Artes Liberales +5, Canon and Civil Law +4), an old redcap, who won’t mind a little bit of extra income, still living the good old days but at a more gentle pace.

Dearbhail the Greatest bard of Hibernia (teacher with Com: +5, Teaching: +5, MC: Song of Yesterday Lore: +6, Faerie Realm Lore: +4, Magic Realm Lore: +4) – I might decide to fully stat Dearbhail, but she will remain a counselor for Theodosis, not a specialist/companion. She definitely had Strong Faerie Blood, Master Bard – she won’t follow Theodosis all the time) and is probably a Wordsmith – I want her to remain in background, yet be frequently present.

Only a couple of Summae (one on Vim (11/20)) and one on Certamen (5/17) – no improvement here, quite embarrassing for a Bonisagus, but fitting for the character.

Source of virtus worth 5 paws/year.

Most of the BP left from the creation or accrued during his adventures were used to improve his specialist and pay for Dearbhail.

1 Like

Year fifteen – The witch’s champion

Theodosis was enjoying a less nomadic life, and was quite appreciative of having a comfortable bed, every night.

“Considering that Ourania sent me a few primers without me asking for them, I guess the message is quite clear… I should get soon an apprentice. That might be a bit tricky to fulfill everybody’s request” as he was recalling his recent chat with Dearbhail.

“That is quite an amazing feat you managed by finding your way to the Dreamland’s Gate. In fact, I have been tasked to lead you to our greatest mystagogue, to help you towards your next achievement, finding a ghostly companion. But from what you explained me, it might be difficult – again – because of your hermetic background.”

He spent several months perusing the primers sent by his mater. Not that he absolutely wanted to study Animalem or Aquam, but he needed some distraction from the Songs of YesterYear, find a different angle…

… and it just happened that a short chapter in Bestiae Fabulae was talking about familiars – this primer had been written centuries ago, where animal familiars was the standard – and it dawned to Theodosis… parhedros … yes, that would be a very elegant solution. He took his quill and wrote immediately a letter to his mater.

On another note, the Wandering Outpost was getting quite popular and two or three times a month, he was contacted for his advice. A lot were related to some hedge magician supporting their clan in the war against the English invaders. Usually, it would not take more than a few hours of Theodosis time to settle the issue or gives recommendation, but sometimes, it would take more effort, like this Summer, when Dorjan ex-Tremere from Ashenrise and Affraic the Crone showed up.

Una, one of the recently hired grogs came: “Master, master, there are two people waiting at the crossroad, they have a few men-at-arms with them, and there is quite some tension in the air, if I may say so. They look ready to jump at each other throat”.

“No worry Una, if they managed to keep it civil until now, the urge is gone. But let’s not dilly-dally. Show me to them.”

“And as I was saying, I, Dorjan, declare Affraic behavior in violation of the Code and want her arrested for high crime.”

The witch was showing a brave face, but Theodosis could sense that she was unsure. She had been present at the last Tribunal, and had been very impressed by the magical abilities of Order’s mages, by the seriousness given to the Code and she was a bit shaken.

Theodosis was getting good at his job, and he could easily see that the Tremere was using big words to press Affraic into surrendering or admitting some wrong doing, to avoid getting an official statement by a Quaesitoris. Fortunately, Affraic did remember that the Wandering Outpost had been created to handle such situation and she remained adamant to seek advice in front of Theodosis (successful Folk ken test).

After further questioning and clarification, Theodosis was able to conclude that so far, each side behavior had been within the Peripheral Code of Hibernia – which drew a sneer from the Tremere (high Hibernia Lore roll). Which means that although both side where in conflict, the Code would not punish any of them. Of course, they could decide to settle their different in two other ways… Certamen or Wizard’s War.

Dorjan jumped on the occasion “Certamen!”, knowing the witch would not be able to fight back.

That’s what Theodosis wanted. A wizard’s war would have been bad. Sure the whole clan would have protected their witch, but it would have been costly in lives, whereas a Certamen was quite different (successful Intrigue roll, concluding the social challenge part).

“Well, Affraic, since you are not versed into the art of Certamen, you won’t be able to fight or protect yourself, so you lose.”

“But that’s unfair, you mag…”

“Let me finish” interrupted Theodosis “You would lose, unless you find somebody willing to take the challenge on your behalf as stated in the same Peripheral Code…” finished Theodosis with a big smile on his face.

“But who would do th… would you like to be my champion, master Theodosis ?”.

“Who? Me?” with the best innocent smile he could pull off.

“That’s a trap! The same trap you used on Gregorius. But I am Dorjan of House Tremere and I will not fail, I accept your challenge. And I forbid Imaginem.”

“Err… no, you don’t. We are in Hibernia…”

“We will civilized you and your barbaric friends, sooner or later. It does not matter, I will still beat you.”

The Certamen ended up being tight and well-fought, but Theodosis use of paws at the right time proved critical in his win (Certamen roll barely succeed). The quick use of Posing the Silent Question just after his success proved equally critical in finding more about what Dorjan and Ashenrise intentions. Which he dutifully passed on Affraic. Anyways, everybody knows that he already took side, he is no Quaesitoris, he does not have to pretend to be neutral.

He was able to give more advices to Affraic, who in turn promised she and her sisters would be blessing the Wandering Outpost. (Magic theory and Magic Lore to complete the adventure).

OOC: As rewards, I picked up Aura (to go to +4 – I overlooked that Theodosis has Free Sturdy, which pushes to study with virtus, thus requires a high aura to be beneficial) and Literate covenfolk – there will be semi-permanent residents in the Wandering Outpost, staying for several weeks or even seasons, to rest, to learn more about the Order or to entrust some knowledge to Theodosis.

The next initiation I am planning for Theodosis will be the virtue Spirit Familiar to bind a ghost as companion and advisor. I already did once the self-initiation, so I will probably try something different, with the master mystagogue – maybe handwave and admit that he knows how to initiate this virtue. I will see if it sounds reasonable.

The free spell after Certamen must be of the same Form and Technique as the arts used in the Certamen (ArM5, p. 90). Posing the Silent Question is InMe, so presumably that was the nature of the Certamen.
Then why does it matter if the Tremere blocked Imaginem?

Bear in mind that the spells used after a certeman victory are still meant to be within the Code (and also of the same Arts as the Certeman duel, implied to be Imaginem rather than Mentem), so this probably isn't an option for him?

Mentem is Theodosis better Form, but only since a few seasons, so I considered that Dorjan, being a Tremere, knew what was his supposedly stronger Art - by his immediate reaction, I wanted to show that Dorjan is not as careless as Gregorius, and could possibly become a recurring opponent.
The fact that Theodosis interjected to his ban, was just to show the specificity of the Hibernian rules and the fact that one made the effort to learn the local culture whereas the other considers this land as uncivilised and in deep need of "improvement". I try to wave these little specificities in the story as much as possible.

Err... you got me there. :sweat_smile:

Unless Dorjan was unconscious - and fighting to the bitter end as to not lose would be plausible - then, there is no other mage to witness the spell cast by Theodosis. It is not a crime if you don't get caught :smiling_imp:

How good at Intellego Vim is Dorjan, and how paranoid (given that he's just lost an Intellego Mentem duel)? It's not that hard (level 10) to cast a Momentary spell at Personal range to check whether you've been the subject of a magical effect recently, although getting more details about exactly what was cast on you is a bit harder.

Of course, even if Dorjan does do such investigations, Theodosis might not find out about them this season...

Edit to add: Especially for someone who is presumably an Intellego specialist given it was their chosen Technique in the duel.

1 Like

Thinking ahead of the future familiar of Theodosis, I am venturing into an area I have not explore (there is a trend...). In this case, thinking of a Spirit familiar that would be a Ghost. So I have to design a magical spirit. Does somebody want to help me flesh out this potential familiar ?

The Song of YesterYear initiation would grant a Ghostly Warden, but in this case, I would like to turn it into a Spirit familiar - fulfilling a similar task of guiding the mystagogue.

This ghost has to be a character who was involved in the History (with a big H). Either as a witness (a bard, a spy), or an actor (diplomat, advisor or even ruler). Considering Theodosis flaw, this ghost would likely be female...

So for the first time, I am trying to create a magical character, following RoP: Magic, with the following base criteria:

• Magic spirit
  • Relatively low magic might (5-10) - the main drive for the magical spirit to become a familiar would be to keep learning. Having a relatively low might is needed.

Then I thought of a spy/advisor of one clan, several centuries ago. The spirit tries to keep advising the rulers, but only some children can see her and nobody listen to them - obviously.
Aside from that, I started to pick up some virtues and flaws, but nothing definitive:
Bard (social, free)
Bardic education (minor) - those one seems a given to me.

Then some others I could think of:

• Ways of the Lands (Hills or Forest)
  • Liguist
  • Book learner (to fit the theme of wanting to keep learning)
  • Light touch (a little bit of pickpocketing here and their).

Flaws:

• Busybody
  • Higher purpose (have the "true" history discovered and shared - great source of troubles)
  • Optimistic (Major) - she would get along quite well with Theodosis
  • Painful Magic, but adapted to her powers instead - I am struggling to find interesting/relevant major flaw for a non-mage, spirit.

I have not dwells on her qualities and inferiorities yet.
Any help would be appreciated.