Solo Play

yeah, I hear you. A while back some company DID try to create a PC game. I wish they had finished it. I think this is a good starting point to seriously consider it. I'm working on another project right now in unity and when I finish will turn my efforts on to this.

Here's the link to the game that a company attempted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJ9t3ukvsw

I just got my certificate as Swift programmer and I was considering implementing these rulesets into a small app. But it will take time that I might not have on my hands

1 Like

Computerising it, are you looking for a purely text based thing (spreadsheet interface to be rude), or are you asking for a graphical work with all the trimmings (visualisation of the covenant and whatnot)?

I want to do it in three steps:

• first module controls the set of random events: does an adventure occur, if yes, which one, chich type,etc. Then what are the rewards/consequences if you win/loses.
  • second modules would be handling the resolution of challenge and tracking of the story and consequences
  • third modules is managing the covenant and the character sheets.

Now, it do not want to create a module of PC creation: too many variants, too many books, but simply storing PC stats, skills, virtues, Arts, spells and xp.

At least, that’s the idea, as soon as Imcan squeeze 30-40 hours :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I've done solo play using a spreadsheet to keep track of formulas and totals. I've thought about computerizing it into some kind of game, but don't have the requisite programming skills for such a venture.

1 Like

Yes, I also did it on a simple Excel sheet, so I could pretend working while writing little story.
The first stage will be rather easy, some random generation, simple tables, regular dice and exploding dice. Nothing fancy. Maybe 10-20 hours.
The second require handling SQLite database to preserve the data when the program is not running. Twice if not thrice the time.
The third bit, well, a lot more datafields to handle and a bit more effort on the interface to make it palatable. A lot more time. I will have to learn things I don’t know yet how to do.
Ideally, I would love to do it for iPad, to be able to divide the screen in two: character sheet and story. But lots of hours.

I'd say half a day for Stage 1. Tops. And then 10-20 times that for Stage 2. Minimum.

The SQL database is going to be nasty. I would have used RDF instead, to more easily facilitate all the nice features, and support extensions for char gen and the like. But then I prefer pure declarative programming over imperative.

I was actually thinking of using graphics, etc. I was going to to use either unity2d, or c++/c# with visual studio. I think making it such that players could create mods would be the way to go, so that way others could create additional functionality without me having to do everything up front.

could you guys share your excel sheets? I'd love to check them out.

There is a case for all directions.

It would be nice to have an open and flexible format for character creation and character advancement, which could be used both in such a game and for normal TT play. Get it right and not just half-way.

After years of misplacing my players' character sheets a while ago I went halfway through something like that, using PHP, MySQL and javascript. I got characteristics assignment, XPs, V&Fs, spells (I even pull all the spells in the corebook into the database; I was at a very boring job at the time), and went halfway through ageing resolution, but then I got another job which isn't so boring so...

Anyway the thing I'm most proud of is how to resolve a stress die roll without recursion, because MySQL and recursion doesn't seem to mix well without some database tweaking. Then I noticed that a random number between 0 and 1 is actually like an infinite list of D10 rolls. Then the problem of counting how many 1's can one roll in a row in exploding rolls can be deal with considering 0's as 1's (or that any digit +1 would be the roll, so 0.007 would be 1, then 1, then 8), and that the rounded up log10 of numbers between 0 and 1 is actually the number of 0's at the beginning of the roll, so the number of times you have to multiply by 2 would be the power of two to that log10 rounded, and the number to multiply can be get by multiplying the random number by the power of 10 to that log10 rounded again. Speaking excelish, so to speak, if you have the Rand() value on cell A1, then the stress roll for that random number would be the function "=IF((1 + ROUND.DOWN(A1 * 10; 0) = 10); 0; POWER(2; ROUND.DOWN(ABS(LOG10(A1)); 0)) * (1 + ROUND.DOWN(A1 * POWER(10; ROUND.DOWN(ABS(LOG10(A1)); 0) + 1); 0)))".

With that formula it becomes trivial to empirically prove that the average of a stress roll is 5.75; you just have to put some thousand random values in a column, the stress die formula on another, and take the average of that one.

3 Likes

yeah ... that's what worries me in most of those initiatives.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I will post tonight my very simple Excel sheet that I was using to generate adventures, based on the solo play rules.

I really all depends on which medium you want it to work and what you want to achieve with it. PC generation with integrated resolution of adventures is a... daunting task to say the least. And if you want it multiplatform or web-based interface that also comes with a cost (=time & complexity).

So I am willing to try to design what I was calling the "First module" and if somebody else wants to pitch in afterwards to convert it, we will go from there. Just give me a couple of weeks to do that in parallel of real life activities :sweat_smile:

Well, MySQL was easy: I work with databases all day, so I knew a few tricks. PHP is just automating html code and handling variables, it was fun. Javascript on the other hand was (is) a nightmare. I spent hours looking at a single line of code trying to figure out why it wasn't working the way I wanted it to work.

Integrated resolution of adventures generated at random doesn't sound particularly complex to me at this point: it can't be worse than computing casting totals!... Or maybe it really is; thinking it twice there is a lot of character micromanaging that can work in play with a web generated character but can't be automated. For example specialities, magical focus or special circumstances are nasty: it is not possible (or practical) to come with a full list of these so the programming can handle where to add +1 or where to double an art or add a specific bonus, so it would require some pause and tweak on the run. Or spending confidence, I guess (we houseruled confidence out of the game in our saga).

Err... :sweat_smile: let's say that my original Excel sheet disappeared among my several USB keys. I was only able to recover some of my story sheet, with only a random generator. Not much worth sharing.

I could probably create a very basic adventure generator in python, but it would be a beastly task to attach a character to it and resolve the rolls automatically. I'm not that good yet.

Hop, hop.
I just started a thread with the adventures of Theodosis, following the Solo Play ruleset.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone. I have updated this with a new version 4 of the rulesfile I use for my own fun.

Here is a nearly exhaustive list of modifications I made:

Step 1: more explicit language about using virtues.

Step 2: I changed the range of the rolls to more make each progression a little less likely to happen given the probability distribution of the stress die. As well, I changed the base ease factor to reflect the core book, which does not go beyond 24.

Step 3: I added Non Hermetic and Infernal adventure origins.

Step 6: I changed the roll distribution to a d100 to account for a fifth “Thriller/Wilderness” option.

Step 8: I expanded the skill table to add many unused skills and for the Thriller/Wilderness option.

Step 9: More explicit language about rewards.

Step 10: Many minor changes. More clear language that is consistent with award difficulty. I also added “what magi might want” as possible rewards.

Step 11: Minor changes, more clear language and slight re-scaling.

Step 12: I reduced the base time a bit so more adventures are less likely to inflict seasonal penalties.

Recommendations: I added some of my own.

Complex Character Generation: Some tables I use for fun.

3 Likes

Nicely done Thunder Hammer.
I especially like the expansion to include Infernal and non-hermetic origins. I will use them for the next "season" of Theodosis adventures.

1 Like

You're very welcome, and this is great to hear. :smile: