spell-creations

BTW, we should probably coordinate spells so that we don’t overlap too much. Presumably our magi speak about what they’re developing and can avoid duplication.

For example, I was looking at inventing spells to raise Str and Qik to at least 0 (maybe more) and Sta to +5. But it sounds like you’re also looking to get a Sta-boosting spell. We don’t want to get all the same spells.

I will for sure create permanent perception increase to overcome the -2 perception. But not sure how far I get.

Let me take care of Sta, and you do Str & Qik.

I've already got a Per-booster, I may get that higher.

sorry I meant closely related for this and so need to have same range, duration and target unless its also the same characteristics.

Currently I only have those up to 0. Do you want me to try for higher?

If you want. I don't need them higher.

Two questions have occurred to me in the last day:

1.) Do formulaic spells cast in a Dominion Aura under non-stressful conditions use a stress die or a simple die?

The ArM core rulebook states: "The type of die rolled depends on the situation. If the maga is not under any pressure, it is a simple die. If she is in a stressful situation, it is a stress die." That's a pretty simple rule and seems to apply to all situations. I've looked in the section on Realms and the various Realm books, and haven't found any text that would imply that formulaic spells work otherwise in a foreign Aura. Now, they do say that if you roll Botch dice you roll more based on the strength of the Aura. But that should apply to stressful situations, right? I don't see anything that says that the mere casting in a foreign aura makes it stressful.

Consider the example of a magus in a Dominion Aura 3 who casts Comfort of the Drenched Traveler in a non-stressful situation when he steps in from the rain. By my understanding, he makes that roll with a simple die and can't botch.

I ask out of an abundance of caution since I've heard it asserted by some that rolls in a foreign aura should by their nature be stress rolls. (Though I've seen no support in the rules for this assertion.) I wanted to double check that non-stress rolls in a Dominion Aura use a simple die, as the rules set forth.

If I'm wrong, please provide a cite to the portion of the rules that say otherwise so that I can review them for my own edification.

2.) Can you teleport into and out of our regio?

I know the answer to whether you can teleport into and out of a regio can vary by regio, so I'm asking about ours. Will we be able to teleport into and out of our regio? I could go either way with it. But if the rest of the troupe feels very strongly one way or another, I'm not likely to make waves.

1.) The only thing I found right now is RoP:D 9

With a headache or pain in your body I think a stress die can be justified as your condition can no longer be described as calm.

2.) I would say teleport using arcane connection can work to and from a regio 1 step away. So the normal world works but any other regio that have no connection to our regio not.

I disagree that would be enough to warrant "stress," but we'll see what the others say.

In fact, I observe that by your definition, Paulo would have to roll a stress die when he cast all of his spells, since he too is gifted.

I might accept that for extreme Divine Auras (say 6+). But regular villages, towns, and cities, I would disagree. The effect at that low level should be not to the level of "stress."

You asked for a place why people think Gifted need to roll a stress die in the Dominion and I showed you a place where this assumption can come from. I didn't judge it or vote how we should handle it in our game.

I apologize if I misinterpreted the intent of your statement.

That makes sense to me.

Will anyone have Wizard's Vigil (TtA, p. 75) as a known spell? I'm looking at the possibility of developing some rituals that may be beyond my ability to cast without some help.

FWIW, I'm looking at inventing a version of Wizard's Vigil so that I can provide similar help.

Found a other statement regarding calm casting of formulaic magic and stress die at ArM 81

So yes you roll a stress die with your mastered spells but only in stressful situations you have to roll for a botch no matter the number of extra botch die you have.
(Not sure if the stress die is better then a normal die although it give the ~5% chance for much higher result your die is otherwise 0,2-9 instead of 1-10 what means in calm situations the 1st point of the mastery is used to cover for the lower minimum die result)

Also I think the description about the effects of the dominion on the gift I posted earlier is to say how the 3x aura penalty shows in real world terms.

My back-of-the-envelope calculation says that the expected value of a stress die approaches 5.7, while the expected value of a simple die is 5.5. So really, they're pretty darn close, though the stress die just edges out the simple die.

That makes sense.

So where does that leave us with respect to non-stress casting in a foreign Aura? I say that the rules set forth that such casting is still non-stress and should use a simple die (i.e., no botching, though Aura penalties still apply, of course).

What does everyone else say on the subject?

given the special statement about stress die with mastered formulaic spell I'm for simple die during calm casting for formulaic spells unless its special mentioned that a stress die have to be used. As I did find no mention that a wrong aura change the die type its still a simple die in a calm situation even at the most holy place of the world. Although I personal would sometime call for a personality roll if you are calm depending on the over all situation but that have nothing to do with the pre game.

I probably will have a low level one with sun duration but not sure at moment. Sadly your lab text wont help my character at all.

I concur.

Poenitens won't have it, but could learn it from a lab text. Heck, he could probably just learn your spell, if Cr is part of it.

You've run into the trap of a very good laboratory - you can design and construct spells you can't cast.

Page 183 says that you must roll one additional botch die per point of an aura that is foreign to your realm. If you could roll botch dice, it can't be done with a simple roll, ergo you must roll a stress die for results. Thus, casting magic within a foriegn realm is always stressful.

Conveiently, Ars Notoria users can reduce the affects of the Divine by one point per level of Ars Notoria. (trying to hide the immense grin on my face.)