Spell Design: The Thread Before the Grimoire

A thread for talking about spells prior to adding them to the Grimoire sticky thread... Allow me to start...

Rego Imaginem seems to do that - look at Image from the Wizard Torn. While your image is moved by Rego, you have no image, so it is sort of a sidestep to invisibility. This spell might technically require the magus to collapse and then get up, "shedding" his image on the ground via Rego. Unsure... I may be getting too fiddly and less "magical" if I think along those lines. Hm, I wonder if your image is an Arcane Connection to you...

A size modifier to allow for larger structures is a good idea. A full on massive haunted castle ala Neueschwanstein would be pretty cool.

Species are a natural thing unto themselves and not an Arcane Connection to yourself.
Reasonably certain David Chart may have answered this when i asked it a few years ago.

Focused Heat of the Campfire
ReIg15
R: Voice , D: Sun , T: Ind
The heat generated by a large campfire (or hearth of a great hall) ,
is focused in a single direction , chosen by the caster , at the time of casting.
This is the heat equivalent of using a parabolic reflector for light.
(Artes Liberales covers optics)
The heat will be focused in a beam , 01 pace in diameter.
(this is not intended as a damage spell , or for making laser equivalents)
Base 03: Control a fire in a natural fashion , +02 Voice , +02 Sun

I was looking at this more as a cooking spell.
The heat is focused upwards and is distributed evenly across the diameter.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I see the point?

You can apply the same effect to light ; to make candles and similar small light sources more effective.
Or if you have a heliograph , to make it brighter for a lower magnitude spell.
Instead of creating permanent ring/circle wards for heat or light to lessen long term warping.

A ReIg effect to focus all the heat in a room or structure.
Or with a furnace when making steel , so no heat radiates outward.
Just an even and intensified flow of heat where you want it.

Now that is very useful!

The problem with these kind of effects is that once the principle is set, someone would come along and try to use it as a damage spell or laser. I do think, however, that this is a fine application of ReIg. I'd hence approve it but maintain that the concentration of fire cannot be strong (i.e. not stronger than the fire it directs by more than +5). A stronger concentration would require Creo and Perdo requisites, and would be sub-optimal in comparison to Creo Ignem.

Also, I don't like the connection to optics. Smacks too much of modern physics to me - the heat you're focusing has nothing to do with the fire's light, which is a totally different property.

And, for my own spell for consideration:

The Army’s Armory
CrTe 45
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Group; Ritual
Creates a hundred thousand suits of full chain mail armor. The quality of the suits depends on the Finesse roll, with a Finesse roll of 9 required for serviceable gear, and a roll of 12+ required for quality items. The sigil of the caster is invariably evident in the armor, which may appear otherworldly or strange to a mundane. The armor includes padding and leather strappings with an Animal casting requisite; otherwise, these have to be provided separately.
(Base 5, +1 elaborate shape, +1 touch, +2 group, +4 size)

Finally, I'd suggest that while posting to this forum's grimoire is great, posting to the Net Wizard's Grimoire (link in sig) is nice too...

Ward against Mundane Smells
ReIm 4
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
The target is unaffected by smells. Spell requires pinching a nostril and will cancel when the clip is removed.
(Base 1, +1 touch, +2 sun)
{cf ReIm5 Circle of Undisturbed Rest, MoH p30}

Eggs of the Past Millenium
CrIm 25
R: Voice, D: Diameter, T: Ind
The target stinks horribly of rotten eggs. Anyone standing close must make Stamina stress roll of 9+ or act with a -6 penalty.
(Base 1, +2 disorienting, +2 voice, +1 diameter, +3 strength)
{Using the ReIm base 3 disorienting guideline, from CrAq10 Stench of the Twenty Corpse, Arm5 p 125}

Now, I am not sure if a spell magnitude should be an ease factor magnitude. Here 3 spell magnitudes result in 1 ease factor magnitude on the stress roll and 1 ease factor magnitude on the penalty. Opinions?

As I understand, MR won't help against the smell as it doesn't stop you from seeing phantasm.

A doubt, how strong should be a change over a spell to make it by MuVi guidelines to do it like "designed by a target"?

I wasn't protesting posting it to the Grimoire - merely pointing out that the Grimoire thread is supposed to be for accepted spells, not for "How do you lot feel about this idea of mine?"

The Unseen Hole-Digger , ReTe 04
R: Touch , D: Mom , T: Ind
This is a Craft Spell duplicating the work of a labourer.
Dimensions chosen by the caster at the time of casting.
Default is a hole 01 pace in diameter , depth = ?
Ease Factor: 06 (Simple Task = EF: 03 , +03 for craft spell)
As large a hole as could be dug in a day , by an untiring labourer with Str +05.
(Based on Unseen Porter)
Base 03 , +01 Touch

Some STs may prefer a higher Ease Factor ,
if they judge hole-digging to be an Easy(06) or Average(09) Task , for a labourer.

How much is a yard of dirt?

As the base target is individual , it could be argued that you cant dig more than 10 cubic paces of dirt.
But i dont think craft spells have that limitation.
Might even be +01 Part , not Ind.

A year's work is +09 to the Ease Factor , so you could have a castable level 04/05 spell
with EF: 15 , to do a year's digging in an instant.

As the spell only affects dirt , all stone , metal , plant or other material would simply fall to the bottom of the hole.

A variant of this spell would be used for ploughing fields.

Change of heart
ReMe 5
R: Eye, D: Diam, T: Ind
The target individual must shortly be considering doing a significant action (in the next two minutes.) Whatever the apparent outcome of that decision would be, the target individual chooses a different, but rational, course of action or target for that action. For example, a target that is considering a strike against a foe may choose a different foe that they could easily target instead. The alternate action, or target for the action, must be plausible and have similar motivation or value to the individual as the original choice. The deviation of the action is at the discretion of the story guide.
(Base 3, +1 Eye, +1 Diam)

Larger than Life
ReMe 10
R: Eye, D: Sun, T: Ind
Enhances the natural perception in the target's mind, of the caster of this spell. Note that this may be positive or negative. If the target thinks the caster is a goof, she will think they are a bigger goof after this spell; if she is impressed with the caster then she will be in awe while under the effects of this spell.
(Base 3, +1 Eye, +2 Sun)

Somebody Else's Problem
ReMe/30
R:Touch D:Sun T:Room
This spell causes a room full of people to ignore the caster, as she is "someone else's problem." As long as the caster is not doing anything to draw undue attention to herself, the room's inhabitants will not take action against her. Note that the caster is not invisible to the room. If two people are trying to have a secret conversation, they will speak softly to make sure the caster does not overhear them.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +2 Room)

Variations
ReMe/25
R:Touch D:Dia T:Room
A shorter version for the mage just passing through.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Dia, +2 Room)

The Mirror Gift, MuMe level 5
R: Eye, D: Diam, T:Ind

This spell reverses the effects of the Gift. Any Gifted individual appears to the target as as a wise and upright person with the moral qualities most important to the target. As a consequence, any individual with the Gift (or Magical Air) receives a +3 bonus to all social interactions leveraging this feeling in the target, which replaces the standard -3 penalty. This bonus is doubled, to +6, in the case of the Blatant Gift. Of course, if the target is protected by even the slightest Parma Magica (even if this spell penetrates), or is interacting with someone with the Gentle Gift etc., this spell does not alter the target's reactions; and the reactions of a target who has become partially accustomed to the Gift of an individual are correspondingly muted.

Base 3 "Make a major change to a person's emotion", +1 Eye, +1 Diameter

If it were that easy , everyone would be doing it. :slight_smile:

Cant find an absolute RAW reason why this wont work , atm.
I'm sure there is something in the section on The Gift (page 75+).
Basically , you can have a positive modifier on social interactions ,
whether by mind control or relevant ability roll or both ,
but people are still suspicious and attribute base motives to you.

That suspicion, that nagging feeling that you cheated your way to a position of undeserved privilege, is exactly the emotional response that the spell reverses. I tried to word the spell so as to make it clear that I was describing a reversal of the effects described in the very passage you quote.

As far as I can tell, the spell is perfectly within Hermetic guidelines.

I don't believe that the Gift overrides emotions implanted by mind control. Mentem effects, cast on a specific target, take precedence. The Gift effect is more relevant to Imagenem spells, which are cast on the Gifted person and indirectly affect all non-targeted people who look at the altered image. Thus Aura of Enobled Presence makes a Magus look like a leader but a creepy one. Enslave the Mortal Mind, on the other hand, has no problem making someone love a Magus without reservation.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Seems basically OK to me. However, I think that I would say that it can only counteract the effects of one Gifted individual. So, if I'm a Gifted magus I can cast this on some grogs to protect them from my Gift, but the grogs should not be protected from The Gift of my sodales. I'm not sure why it should automatically be twice as effective if the magus has the Blatent Gift...that seems a bridge too far, to me.

It might fit the guidelines, but I do not think I would allow this IMS. It cheapens the Gift. For me, if this fits the guidelines, the guidelines are wrong.

Cheers,
Xavi