Spell Design: The Thread Before the Grimoire

Only one size increase would work , even if all five strike simultaneously , as once the size increases ,
it cannot increase further unless the spell has a built in modifier to affect a greater size beast.
Base Individual for Animal is a creature the size of a pony , Size: +01.

Did not think of it this way. Now this begs the question, if the spell is cast on a Fox -3, roughly... or a large owl -2, roughly, then if multicast you would be able to get a +1 size Fox or Owl? I am really curious about this!

Two newish spells just curious about.

Cr/Te Lvl 15 Conjure the Protective Den

This spell creates a hollowed boulder, that protects the mage from weather, animals, and mundane detection until sunrise or sunset. During this time, the rock simply looks from the outside as a large boulder, hiding the magus +1 inside.

base 3 (create stone), +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 size

R:Touch D:Sun T:Ind +1 size

((I imagine it as simply being a extension of the Wall of Protecting Stone except that it requires a Finess roll, but does not need Voice or the extra +1 size, does it work?))

Re/Co Lvl 3 Purging of the Fleeing Vermin

In much the same fashion of small vile creatures, this spell purges the bowls and blatter of any and all contents, effectively turning the target in a cesspit of smells and vile physical detritus. The mage that developed this spell was an especially vile and disgusting necromancer who often used the spell to discourage conversation or attention from those that annoyed him. Belanor's sigil was the haunting sounds of the dead, which made the spell even more gruesome.

base 2, +1 Touch

R:Touch D:Mom T:Ind

Yes, but a botch would be uuuuuugly. Also, keep in mind this means that you can't get out and can't see out. Easy way to trap yourself. Also suck when you need to go number two.

Its not much more to conjure yourself a small stone house. Use Conjure Mystic Tower as a baseline:

Base 3, + 2 size, + 1 touch + 1 complication + 2 sun = CrTe 25.

All valid observations. The value of this spell however is that it is meant to act as place to sleep for a single night and to be as obfuscated as possible. It will not attract attention, because it simply looks like a boulder, and under duress one could hide within to escape pursuit. (unless of course your pursuers had some innate magic sense to detect you or the new boulder) It is a spell for a magus that tends to rough it alone and desires to sleep undisturbed.

I was thinking of the botches... the word sarcophagus comes to mind. EEP! At least it is only Sun duration.

You know a botch can extend or protract duration, right? Or it could leave no room for breathing air. Or it could collapse.

If you put it into a device, at least then you'd get rid of the botch chances. I'd add one complexity, or add a Mu requisite to allow a "door" to open on command.

While I understand that botches can get bad, I have only botched a spell once in three years or so, and storytellers typically don't let the spell go beyond the limit of the spell level, unless we are sponting. It is only a level 15... would worry a lot more about casting Pilum of Fire, no? If anything my concern would be adding a Au req just to be certain air flowed through, but with Ars physics I figured it was not needed.

((Here comes the discussion about a vacuum again, heh heh))

Or spend one season practicing the spell to master it.

The wizard that uses this spell, routinely does his magic while in the shape of a animal, thus the whole burrowing den flavor. And he did master this spell but I can't decide between fastcast or multicast.

having a covenant is a cave, I built a little village at the entry, before the labyrinth which lead to the real entry of the covenant (which was 200 years ago a Diedne covenant, and now receives a flambeau, a mercere, a jerbiton and a verditius).
That village is protected by a wood wall.
I wanted make something like the wall of thorns, but as a yearly ritual.
My maga is neo mercurian so it costs less and she can use special targets.

The Thorny wall of Protection CrHe20 touch year road
base : 1 (as the wall of thorns)
touch +1
year +4
road +2

this makes a thorny wall along the road specially build to receive that ritual and so makes another protection besides de wood wall.

Herbam being the least of my knowledge as far as Forms go, I wonder would it be possible if you did not want to do it as a ritual, to simply plant a type of bush or hedge that sprouts thorns and then make it grow faster, say a whole year in a day. This way you could prune and shape the hedge and have a giant perfect hedge that is healthy and sturdy and precisely what you desire in about three weeks?

I know it lacks the magical ommph! of the ritual, but the game I play in, our covenant is... well not even a covenant yet so we lack the all important vis to make this a reality.

fortunately, we have enough vis... and as I am mercurian, I used twice less vis than normal...
we get a lot of vis auram and intellego which we can exchange form vis herbam if needed.

I thought about what you say, but it may be complicated deep into the forest and not as effective...

IMO, the base is "base": so 5, not 35, 35 is, in terms of Ars terms, not the base but the level. And, the +5 "free" magnitude in guidelines is totally made to cover some kind of extra parameters, like the one you are using here for range and duration.

This spell would sustain spell of level lower of equal to (5 [base] +25 [free magnitude]/2) = 15.

Yes, Vim is tricky.

ExarKun is correct. You should replace "level" with "base" in all of those calculations for Vim and the like. I think that makes things a lot easier to understand because it cuts down on lots of adjustments. I think that would avoid the confusion that has shown up. I should suggest that to David Chart, though I think it might be too large a thing for errata.

ExarKun's base 5 is correct, but for clarity the math should be (5+25)/2=15, not (5+25/2)=15. Now if this were not general but only designed to work on the one magus's spells, then I could totally understand dropping the /2 part.

Chrsi

I've been toying with a similar notion, making things easier for Vim spells when they are are developped for a specific use.

One I had in mind was a spell to maintain a specific spell beyond its original duration, for example for a Hermes Portal.

The problem I hit with this idea is that the existing guidelines make this quite hard to get a spell that is of a lower level than the original spell.

Let<s say I want to renew a Hermes Portal and use a guideline of "x2 level". So my Base Level would be 40, but +1 for range Touch and +4 for Duration Year. I still end up for a level 65 ritual to renew a level 75/80 ritual. Saves only 2 pawns of vis (and make it possible to use Muto or Vim vis instead of Rego or Terram).

Not much gain, for the effort needed to invent such a spell.

Some guidelines are already written this way, though not all are. And even those written this way sometimes have very specific specifics. The big risk is the door you open for spontaneous magic. It doesn't help formulaic spells so much because you end up having to invent so many spells that going general is commonly a more effective use of your time. Under the right circumstances it can certainly help formulaic spells a lot. However, it's essentially always the right circumstances when you're using spontaneous magic. That means the more of the these types of guidelines that are added the more powerful spontaneous Vim magic becomes. It doesn't destroy things, but it should be considered.

Chris

Presumably the same restriction applies to Rego Vim spells.

Looks like you have two ranges for this spell: Touch and Road (same range level as Voice). And I'm not sure "Road" is the right range for what you've described. My first thought was "Boundary," since it looks like you want the spell to affect the wall that forms the boundary, or at the very least act along the wall. But then I reread the description, and now I'd be inclined to just go with the information for Wall of Thorns. Base effect Level 1, with +1 to increase the range to Touch (as you'd be touching the wall that will form the base of the barrier), +4 for Year duration, and +2 Group. Depending on the size of the wall, you might have to increase the Target Size from +1 to +2 or even +3. That would move the final spell level, imo, to 30 or 35.

road is a target as well