Spell Design: The Thread Before the Grimoire

The relevant reference is other spell guidelines, and other example spells. Not what happens "naturally". I'm not saying there are no limits either.

The problem with trying to tie things to Aristotelian physics is that:
a) none/few of us really understand Aristotelian physics,
b) Aristotelian physics is not actually a consistent way of describing the world that makes much sense --- especially when we (the players) have conceptual leakage from other ways of describing the world.

When you are trying to design a spell that does something "unnatural" you are much better off ignoring Aristotelian physics entirely as a red herring, IMO.

[size=200]"Like (lodestone) sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives." [/size] :mrgreen:

I know, which is why he should be using the "highly unnatural" guideline; unlike the original version. It's not a natural property to do what he says it does --- using an unnatural guideline is the way to go. Which as you say increases the magnitude. After that, we are just arguing about "how" unnatural it is, which is a troupe/saga specific argument.

Hey , i paid good money for my copy of Art & Academe.
I demand that i get some use from it other than Gift of the Tortured Bowels on page 57. :slight_smile:

:laughing:

Oh i LIKED that one... :laughing:

And i think the answer to that oddity is for the simple reason that its more interested in describing the world philosophically than accurately. Like the Chinese philosophers talking about the flat earth in a not quite metaphorical way, many centuries after they knew damn well it wasnt flat.

Totally with you there. Using it as it was used in reality, a flawed attempt to describe reality, much preferable.

Pretty much yeah.

Appropriation of the lost mage's spell
ReVi 35 (ritual)
touch - mom - ind
Sustain a spell equal or lower than 35

When Ankhiale, my Tytalus killed her master out of rage and frustration, she realised all his spells and magical objects were fading - But some rituals of his were necessary to keep a infernal door closed, so she created a ritual spell to sustain those spells and take them for herself (so, now, they are considered as being her own rituals and are not fading anymore).
As she experimented, all the sustained rituals are phosphorescent.

Sorry folks , unneccessary post deleted.

It's helpful if you state what Guideline you use as a Base for the spell. :slight_smile:

If the purpose of the Ritual is to take over an existing spell cast by another magus ,
so that you can sustain it as if it were your own , im not sure you can do that by experimenting.
(shame on me for not reading your spell description correctly)

You can sustain the existing spell/s of the other magus for up to Year duration
by inventing/learning a spell to do so.
You can experiment as usual in your Lab.

I try to remember as I did that spell more than one year ago...

It is while inventing it that I experimentated otherwise, It was taking to long to create it...

As long as I remember, I did it in momentary because once the ritual is made, the ritual on which it has been made just continues, just becoming as if it was me who had cast it.

It is not only for one spell, but for any ritual spell her master had cast... I made possibly a confusion with sustain or suppress a spell you have cast and not someone else have cast...

So I will speak about it to my husband

ok

Appropriation of the lost mage's spell
touch - year - ind
base : 15 +4 (year) = ReVi35
(guide line : sustain or suppress a spell cast by another with level less than half the (level+5 magnitude))

Sustain a fading spell of level lower or equal to 30 as it was your own - the affected spell glow phosphorescent because of experimentation while creating the sustaining spell

Should be correct now

Muto Vim Guidelines (page 159):

Base 15 , +02 Voice , +04 Year for Level 45

I assume these guidelines apply to ReVi spells also.

But Aristotelian physics limit what is "natural" in the setting. It can't be ignored, if the guidelines mention degrees of unnaturalness. :slight_smile:

I agree but then, I did it at 35 (in one season, as I did a very good dice while experimenting)
base 5 +2 voice +4 year, level 35
and then sustain a spell of level lower of equal to 30 [(35+25)/2]

With the same character, she made spells so as to kill one of the old and warp magi of val negra. She transformed herself into one of the grogs to enter into the criamon's sanctum, the grog in question was made to sleep the whole day and remember a normal day afterwards...
for the story, he knew she was her, as he had visions, she took his talisman and send him into (eternal?) twilight...

To take someone's personnality MuMe20
per sun ind
base 10 +2 sun
equivalent to donning the mask of another
need of an arcanique link toward the person we want to take the personnality

The transformation of the body MuCo10
per sun ind
base 4 +2 sun
transformation into the body of someone you have an arcanique link

The Ankhiale's boring day MuMe10
touch sun ind
base 3 +1 touch +2 sun
give the impression to have lived a normal and boring day of work

The day sleep ReMe15
touch sun ind
base 4 +1 touch +2 sun
make magically sleep the all day

Some fun ideas there. I don't have a problem with any of them, but I think you may want to rewrite a couple descriptions.

As written, wouldn't this make you loyal to the person you're hunting if the grog is loyal to him? That could be a huge problem. If you still have your own memories and are no longer loyal to yourself but to your enemy instead, it seems like you may have done your enemy's work for him.

Wouldn't you rather take on the grog's mannerisms and the like than his personality?

I see how this works and it seems fine, but I would specify in the description that it is changing the perception of what is happening as it happens, not changing the memory of it later. That gives you a permanent memory of a temporarily altered thing instead of a temporarily altered memory. Again, I think this is what you meant, but reading this would help clarify what the spell is doing.

Chris

This seems to me to just be using the own spell guideline in place of the other mage's spell guideline, effectively just removing the 0.5 multiplier. To me that's a huge, huge benefit. If it were tailored to just this other magus's spells and no others, it would seem reasonable. But to be general it just looks like someone didn't want to use the right guideline.

Chris

there is a specifc guideline for this in Societates (HoH: S, p. 129, box in upper right corner)

No, that is not the case. Reread it. That guideline is "of a specific type." The spell, as written above, uses the x0.5 guideline without the x0.5. The guidelines without the x0.5 have restrictions: your own or a specific type. This spell, as written above, does not have such a restriction. That's why I said if it only worked on spells from that magus, giving it a restriction, that it would fit the guidelines.

Chris

Sorry for the description, but I wrote them in my mother tongue, and not so easy to translate them in English correctly...
Actually it is not exactly the personnality you get through the first one, but the way of comportement, habits, and only for a full day, but inside you remain yourself

For the second one, normally, as your perception changed, your memory changed as well, as you remember what you have perceived... (it works on the mentem and not imaginem)

You're absolutely right, my mistake