Spells that are Ring, but not Circle?

The target is ignem. So there is no way to "burn" the target, since you are speaking of nothing but just a consequence of the fact there is fire at the same place where is a person.

I agree that the HOH:S spell could be better designed. Still, it could be ring + individual, and the effect would be the same :slight_smile: No biggie here.

I still see no reason at all why circle and ring cannot be combined with other durations and targets.

Cheers,
Xavi

Ignem covers heat in general as well as fire and can effect the heat in any target without needing prerequisites. Take a look at the CrIg guidelines again. Several of them don't create fire they just make the target hotter. PeIg can do damage directly by chilling a target so I think CrIg should be able to do damage by directly heating.

One player recently presented me with Calling Forth by Day - which is basically an Incatation of Summoning the Dead, with D: Ring.

Which reminds me - what happens when concentration is broken, in the IoSD? Does the ghost fade away? Run loose? Something else?

Since you summon the ghost, he comes to you, and is free to act. No duration needed.
Hence the use of a ward against spirit, to prevent he goes out... (and hence the ""within a circle at the time of casting" with a already prepared circle trick :wink:).

standard IoStD is Conc, so duration must do something?

Because during the duration, he can't move : if he moves, he is summoned back, effectively preventing him to move.

The ghost must already be present inside the ring for the spell to work, while Incantation of Summoning the Dead usually summons it with an Arcane Connection. So unless the ghost has already been brought to the spot or is currently haunting it and does not flee while the ring is being drawn, the spell wouldn't work.

good catch Halancar, I'll pass that right along.

[quote="Halancar"

The ghost must already be present inside the ring for the spell to work, while Incantation of Summoning the Dead usually summons it with an Arcane Connection. So unless the ghost has already been brought to the spot or is currently haunting it and does not flee while the ring is being drawn, the spell wouldn't work.[/quote]
Why? You summon the ghost using the Arcane Connection...he appeard within the Ring and proceeds to leave the Ring at his earliest convenience. So the spell would work...it would just be useless unless the ring were not first warded. Assuming the spell is calling the Ghost from another Realm(if it were currently present and haunting, the ward would block it from entering the ring) he would pop into existence within the ring, never crossing it's ward.

Big fan of Circles AND Necromancy...and this spell variation just isn't practical. Ward a ring and summon with the normal Summon has the same effect...the ghost can't leave even if you stop concentrating...and the level is lower for penetration purposes.