Spring 1220: Announcements and Decisions

"While I understand the desire to get major issues such as government settled, that may be a bit premature," Magnus says after some consideration. "I agree with everyone who says we should investigate the site before raising the island, and I'm ready to set out as soon as a ship can be arranged."

"As for governing, my own thoughts are that our claim to all of this land is only as strong as we can make it. Yes, technically it will have been raised using our vis, and could therefore be considered 'magical power' that cannot be taken away from us. But only if we can get a Tribunal to agree with us. An undertaking of this magnitude is unprecedented, and may not be treated as we hope it will be. We should also give thought to whether we wish to petition to be part of another Tribunal or claim to be one of our own - and how the Grand Tribunal will consider us regardless of what we wish."

"I say we focus now on getting the land in shape and deciding what our covenants will look like. We still have to raise the land, make it livable, and recruit enough people to live there. That leaves us quite a lot of time to debate governmental structure. To that end, I like the idea of large areas of undeveloped land surrounding covenants - much like a lord's preserve. That sort of thing will insulate us from the power of Dominion auras, which I think are inevitable in any land these days."

"So, let us now prepare a ship to head west into the ocean and survey the site that we would make into New Atlantis."

I agree, the survey is the first order of business.

Melai cocks her head "An idea to consider- if we want to be considered a new Tribunal we should probably start three covenants instead of one. There will be other hurdles to overcome, but having three at least entitles us to pursue the claim, and the fact they will be highly cooperate covenants shouldn't be a problem for the Grand Tribunal. Getting it to a vote would be more of an issue. But while we consider that, let us commence with the journey of investigation. Are we planning to scry from here or do we need a ship?"

"To the extent that we can scry from here," Magnus replies, "I think that's a n excellent idea. But I suspect that if people want to really see what's happening there, a personal visit will be required. Though I fear a complete survey may be beyond us. It would be like us trying to examine every square foot of the county of Essex. The best we'll really be able to do is a spot check, particularly of the mystical center of the island."

"As I've noted, one of the ways we found Atlantis was by examining ley lines. There is a point over sunken Atlantis where five ley lines meet - an unprecedented number. I suspect that there is a powerful Magical Aura there, and I propose that area be the main target of our search."

[hr][/hr]
Also, is it three covenants for a Tribunal or four? For some reason four is sticking out in my mind.

You are correct, it is four. Heck, maybe we should each found our own covenant, at least on paper...

"If we are going to begin by scrying, do we have an arcane connection that would allow us to do so at this meeting?"

"I have a small carving," Duncan offers, "that is reputed to be from fallen Atlantis. I have no way of checking the authenticity of the carving. But of all the artifacts I've seen that say they are Atlantean, I feel this is most likely to be genuine." He smiles and shrugs. "I"m afraid with something as old as Atlantis that sank into the sea, we're fortunate to have that much."

Meliai nods thoughtfully "and even if it is it is likely to be useless as an arcane connection due to the passage of time, but still, trying to scry with it, assuing we don't use vis, couldn't hurt."

OOC - can we use a ley line as an AC, or does that require a mystery?

Simon's eyes suddenly light up and his voice is shaking with excitement, as he can barely contain his curiosity:

"Duncan, could you please hand the carving ? I certainly hope it is from Atlantis; we could learn so much about the Sunken City! I cannot believe we could be this lucky! "

If he is given the carving, the Criamon magus become less and less active to the conversation around him, even seemingly sleeping, as he relive the events imprinted in it.

OOC:

The Avenue of the unexpected pages and the station of the vivid memories from objects:
Per + Enigmatic Wisdom + die roll = 5 + 14 + 7 = 26
See HoH:MC p.65 for the description of the ability

As Duncan hands over the carving, Simon gets a flash of memories from the thing.

[i]A blur followed by a clearing of vision. It's being created in a workshop of some sort. The place looks like it's in antiquity, not quite Greek, not quite Roman, but reminiscent of both. The crafter wears a tunic more fitting in the ancient world than the present. For hours the workman makes finishing touches on the carving until he seems to pronounce it complete. Then it is placed in a wooden box and all becomes dark.

Some indeterminate time later the box opens. It's in some kind of ancient shop, again with that not-quite-Greek, not-quite-Roman look. Outside the windows there is a town or city in the same style. People walk by an open doorway wearing robes or tunics of a curious style. Talking can be heard in a language that Simon can't recognize.

The craftsman, who opened the box, takes the carving out and shows it to a well-dressed man who examines it and nods. The two talk for a while in that strange language. After a time they seem to come to an agreement and the carving is returned to the box.

Time passes and there is the definite feeling of motion - sweeping motion, like it's on a ship. This goes on for some time as well.

Again the box opens. Again it's an ancient world, but this time it looks different - not in the same style as before. The well-dressed man from the shop takes the carving out and shows it to another man who is obviously quite wealthy. There is some haggling in a language that Simon doesn't recognize, but is not the same as was spoken before. Eventually the wealthy man takes possession of the carving.[/i]

What follows are a series of visions showing how the carving resided in the wealthy man's house, and his son's after that, and made its way across the Mediterranean and western mythic Europe until it eventually fell into the hands of Duncan.

Simon doesn't see all of the time between the carving's creation and now. But he sees enough flashes to understand that there's little of interest once the carving is sold to the rich man.

A large smile appears on Simon's face, as he experience what living in Atlantis was many, many, many years ago. He opens his eyes suddenly, and his gaze seems distant for a minute, but then he stand up and walk to Duncan before handing the carving back to him.

"You are very fortunate, Duncan, for I can attest that this carving comes from Atlantis. That I am almost certain."

Still standing next to Duncan, Simon will describe his vision to his to his peers. When he is done, after drinking water from a cup, the Criamon will say:

"They spoke a language I did not understand. It was not the language of the Romans or the Greeks..."

He will try to reproduce a few words he heard.

"Someone might have heard such words somewhere...."

OOC:

I roll Enigmatic Wisdom to see if I can identify the language.
Int + (Enigmatic Wisdom / 2) + Appropriate Lore + die roll = 5 + 7 + ? + 8 = 20 + ?
See HoH: MC p.60

I'm not sure what ability on page 60 you're referring to. none of what I can see applies to the current situation.

You can use labyrinth meditation to recall a single fact (a Lore roll). If determining the language they spoke on Atlantis is a lore roll, then the bonus would apply.Labyrinth meditation takes 16 hours at an Enigmatic Wisdom score of 1, and between 2 and 4 seconds at a score of 14. It also only enables you to learn a single fact, so it is helpful, but does not replace a high score in a Lore.

Meliai gazes thoughtfully at the artifact. "I can think of a way we might be able to use this as some form of arcane connection, but it would not be easy, or cheap. It might take a season or more, and a fair amount of vis.

"Meliai, the form of magic practiced by members of your House is sometimes.... foreign. I do not want to speak for everyone, but perhaps if you were more specific we could help you achieve what you have in mind..."Simon frown, thinking for a few seconds before saying :Maybe there would be a faster way to solve to this conundrum.

Turning his head towards look at Duncan:

"Duncan, you said earlier that Atlantis was located at the confluence of multiple ley lines in the Atlantic, if I am not mistaken" He continues after Duncan nods, further explaining his thought to everyone:

"You see, magical energies ebb and flow, much like the ocean does. If you can cast aside the doubts and illusions that the world impose on us, then you can swim this ocean of magical energies in the same way you would the Atlantic."

"Tonight, I shall attempt to do so by following the ley lines, if you all agree. Perhaps I will be able to confirm all its location, and by doing so, ensure Duncan and Magnus be forever remembered as those who finally discovered Atlantis. In the event that I would find it, what would do you want me to look for?"

OCC:

Pass Through Seeming with the help of Second Sight and Magical Sensitivity
Int+Enigmatic Wisdom Score + Aura of Destination + die roll: 5 + 14 + aura + 4 + (bonus from Duncan's direction - malus) = 23 + aura + X
(Requires a roll of 18 or more, at the story guide's discretion)

See HoH:MC p.66

A Language roll is not a Lore roll. But it's not a far guess to say that they were speaking Atlantean.

When the group has found what we can from the very exceptional powers of the Criamon, Constantine will suggest "If I may have the artefact for a moment, I can try to scry with it to its original home or the crafter's workshop?
I know it is very unlikely to work, but it can be done now within moments. And then journeying to the general area will allow us to scan and scry more accurately. "

OOC: Constantine will try "Summoning the Distant Image" spell which he knows. InIm25 vs CT +25 +aura +roll.

"Whatever use the carving can be," Duncan replies. "I'm happy to contribute it to the cause. By all means, Simon, take it tonight and try your magic to see the site."

For now, however, the carving passes to Constantine who attempts to use it to scry on Atlantis. But alas, as Meliai had surmised, whatever arcane link the carving may once have had to the fabled island is gone. It seems only the Criamon have the wherewithal through their enigmatic wisdom to tap deeper than that. When the spell is completed, all Constantine gets is a view of a small room in what obviously is the modern day. A brief description reveals that it is Duncan's chambers in Glen Airgead. It seems now that the strongest arcane connection the carving has is the fact that it is Duncan's prized possession.

"Essentially my thoughts are to the idea of daimon summoning. If I can find a daimon who could re-establish an arcane connection... which as I consider it would be a worthwhile lab activity aside from the current question... but right this moment it is more of an idea to pursue than an actual plan."

"That's a clever idea," Magnus replies. "I'll wager that there's a daimon out there that can do what you propose. The trick is finding it. And you're right, it would be a worthwhile daimon to know of, quite apart from the current situation."

[hr][/hr]
That seems like a reasonable power for a daimon to have. I'd peg it as something the right Might 30 daimon ought to be able to do.