Spring 1220: Seeing is Believing

Constantine continues his survey of the sunken island, and lets the others know that he intends to spend the rest of the day at the job. This is enough for several of the magi to decide to depart until tomorrow. Meliai decides it's best to return to opening her apprentice's arts, while Magnus returns to do some work in his lab that might help their explorations. The others have yet to decide. But now that they're here and have access to arcane connections from the island, it's not as hard to get back and forth. Even Duncan has some magic boots that will let him jump home and back again.

The day progresses and Duncan stays to help, writing maps and taking notes. It's a long, boring process, as the vast majority of what they see is nothing of interest. The only break is for a meal, which the grogs so carefully packed. But then it's back to the drudgery of scrying. It's late in the afternoon when Constantine hits paydirt. He catches sight of a large ruined building, which leads him to another, which leads him to a cluster of others, which leads him to an entire ruined city. It stretches across a plain, up against a drop that might well have been a shoreline, and has architecture to match what was seen in the temple city.

The shore city is larger than the temple city, and much more varied. It's also in much worse shape. Most of the buildings are in a bad state of ruin, and there are large gaps between ruined buildings - Constantine guesses that what was once between them was wooden structures that have long since rotted. There are barnacles covering what's left of the city, and seaweed is everywhere. But the only residents Constantine can find are a large variety of fish, everything from cod to tuna. He does eventually confirm that it's a shore city, however, when he finds the remains of stone jetties extending out into what was once the surface of a body of water.

Around dusk Magnus returns with a few items prepared for the morrow. He's fascinated by the word of a city, and pores over the notes Duncan has made while asking questions about the city that Constantine and Duncan can't possibly answer.

[hr][/hr]
Constantine's Search check: Awareness Check: 1D10+7 = [2]+7 = 9
Constantine finds what looks like the ruins of a city about five miles to the northeast of the temple city. It's in worse shape than the temple city, but looks much more extensive and varied in its building type.

Let me know whether Constantine will focus his remaining time on the city or further searches.

FWIW, by the time he's found the city, Constantine has been at it for six or seven hours. And I'm guessing he spends at least a couple of hours exploring the city. Let me know whether he'll get a good night's sleep in the tent provided or whether he'll push on through the night with scrying. Magnus will return after about 8 hours (close to dusk), to renew the spell and to stay on the island through the night.

Here are a couple of items that Magnus will make:

Light Stone for a City
CrIg 25 [5 hours]
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
This stone creates a steady light as bright as daylight on a cloudy day. The light has no apparent source, but illuminates an area about ten thousand paces across, centered on the stone.
(Base 4, +2M Sun, +3M extended area)

This will be to light up the Temple City when we explore it.

Charm of Image of the Beast (x1)
InAn 5 [1 Hour]
R: Arc D: Mom, T: Ind
When touched to an Arcane Connection to a creature, this charm gives you a hazy mental image of the creature associated with that Arcane Connection to. Wounds caused by a beast are an Arcane Connection to that beast with a lifetime of a few hours. This spell can thus be used to find out what was responsible for an attack.
(Base 1, +4M Arcane Connection)

Charm of Image of the Magical Beast (x2)
InAn 5 [1 Hour]
R: Arc D: Mom, T: Ind
When touched to an Arcane Connection to a magical creature, this charm gives you a hazy mental image of the magical creature associated with that Arcane Connection to. Wounds caused by a beast are an Arcane Connection to that beast with a lifetime of a few hours. This spell can thus be used to find out what was responsible for an attack.
(Base 1, +4M Arcane Connection)

The real question is how long would the Arcane Connection of a claw mark in stone last? More than a claw mark in flesh, I should think. But I'm not sure exactly how long past that. Without disclosing how old the claw marks in the stone are, I'd like to ask how long people think that sort of AC would last. If the consensus is not very long, then I'm up for ideas as to what else Magnus could spend time crafting.

I figure 8 hours is the limit for lab work.

I would expect the claw mark in stone to last longer, simply because it doesn't heal.

In the morning Meliai will send Ook back along with the Aquarian and a handful of others (including possibly some grogs to help out) while she focuses on her apprentice.

The the charm have any levels for penetration? 'Cause magic resistance.
I would say days or hours for the connection. The closest guideline I could find is " something mundane made by the target", but I'm not sure if that's on the same level as like a sword. So maybe the lower end of the days category?

Would the spell have to beat the MR of the magical beast to identify it? Because there's no way I'm getting all that much in the way of Penetration.

I hadn't been thinking about that, but yea, if we're considering piercing a large magical creature's MR, that's probably not gonna happen with a charm like this.

Any other suggestions for useful charms?

I would say yes, but on the other hand you have an Arcane connection to help with that... if it is still an arcane connection.

Constantine smiles first to himself when Magus starts quickly firing questions and openly grins at Duncan and Magnus, probably nodding along with the line of questions. He is hard pressed to not be really excited with the find and all that it means.

" I'd like to search further afield again tomorrow. We now have a temple district and a city to explore, and unless you object I'd like to keep searching for other signs of inhabitants, as that is what concerns me the most at present."

"What do you think?"

Constantine will call it a night and get some sleep, he'll take a look at the city for a quick few minutes before resting - to put his eyes to it for satisfactions sake.

OOC:

• guess the AC measure of time is days, because it feels similar to a footprint.
  • perhaps a device which speaks to the water?, InAq15 base, plus Touch Conc is around level 25.

Magnus' strength is in Terram, so perhaps something that would allow him to talk to stone. He could ask some of the stone how it got the claw marks. The answer might not be as great as water would give, but it would certainly know of the incident.

STONE OF SPEAKING
InTe 30 [6 hours]
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind
Allows you to talk with natural stone. A stone’s answers feel slow and ponderous, but do not actually take any longer than a normal conversation. Though a stone is usually willing to talk, its direction sense and awareness of quickly moving things (such as people) are limited.
(Base 20, +1 Touch, +1 Conc)

Magnus could easily manage this.

For your spell I'm concerned that the rules have such a spell (Voice of the Lake), but note that an actual lake is generally too large for the spell to affect. The ocean would certainly be too large. I wonder if you could target a current or something like that.

It's odd that an Intellego spell has a size limitation written in, it doesn't fit with what I understood of Intellego - that the size of the thing is irrelevant.

I find that a bit strange also. Best I can tell is that it's a play balance limitation.

Magnus looks torn. "I'm of two minds on the subject," he replies. "As I said earlier today, I'm keen on investigating the temple district, but I'd like to do that with as many of us as we can, given that there may be a large creature of unknown temperment living there." He turns and gazes out at the tractless ocean.

"Still, I suppose another day's delay won't hurt things. Atlantis has stood here for thousands of years. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. But do you think another day will be sufficient for your investigations? You could spend weeks looking at the lands beneath the sea here without knowing for certain whether something is living there."

"Artemis, Haestus, Aquarian, Duncan, and I could go forward to investigate the temple district without you. But, as I said, I'd prefer if you joined us, all other things being equal."

[hr][/hr]
What do the rest of you say about a delay of another day? Do we wait or do we press on without Constantine?

Personally, if we investigate in person I'd prefer we do it after raising the island. Underwater we are likely to be less capable and above water this beast is likely to be hindered. Better to ask for forgiveness and all that.

Aquarian clears his throat. "I can assume a number of forms suited for exploring the depths, and might also speak with the animals which currently dwell here and ask about any large creature such as you are worried about. Is there anything else you would want me to keep an eye out for?"

"Talking to the fish will certainly help," Magnus replies. "They must know something about what lives in the temple district." He nods absently.

"As for the rest ...," he shrugs. "Any information is useful at this stage. We're particularly keen to know what this large creature is. And we're certainly on the lookout for evidence that any part of the sunken island is inhabited. But aside from that, we'll all have to keep our eyes and ears open."

"So what do you say about the delay, Aquarian? We may have pulled you out here earlier than we needed to. We're talking of giving Constantine another day of scrying before we all head off to investigate the temple district."

Constantine has been swayed by Magnus request, "a day investigating underwater will likely not matter to the broader timeline. And we may find an important aspect to help the wider search. I'll join you and the other magi at the temple site. "
"I had a thought that the sites could be inhabited by spirits, and getting close will make finding out easier."

Aquarian shrugs "Let him scry while I swim about. I am native to water, there is no reason I should hold back for his investigation." Aquarian then heads for the water and transforms into a dolphin to head for the area identified as the temple city, where he begins asking fish about any large creatures in the area.

So the matter is decided. The group will head out and examine the temple district. Everyone gathers together and prepares for the trip. Constantine says that the temple district isn't that far, so it won't take long to get there. Aquarian dashes off first, but the others aren't that far behind, pausing only to prepare some important spells of movement, protection, and perception.

Aquarian has looked at the maps that Duncan has prepared based on Constantine's scrying and knows the general location of the temple district. What's more, in dolphin form, he's quite fast in getting there. It's dark as deep as the buildings are, but a dolphin knows its way around the sea, and he has no trouble navigating. Once there, he begins to search around for fish. The first thing he notices is that some of the fish look odd. Some are bright, vivid colors. Others are translucent. One seems to have two pairs of eyes while another is three times its normal size. Something is effecting these creatures here, though Aquarian can't tell exactly what.

But their odd appearance doesn't make the fish any less talkative. They know this place is odd, but it's also a good feeding ground. The smaller fish don't know a whole lot. To them any big carniverous fish is pretty much the same. But Aquarian finds a large tuna with an extra set of fins that's willing to talk and knows something. It reveals that while this is a very good feeding ground, it's also dangerous. There's a large creature that comes through here eating up fish from time to time - even big fish like tuna and dolphins, so watch out. It's bigger than an orca, as big as some of the big whales. It has a large body and a long neck and sometimes uses some kind of magic spear to stun fish before it eats them.

As the tuna finishes its tale. Aquarian sees the magi and Duncan arrive at the city. To them, it's a true wonder. Ancient temples standing here at the bottom of the sea. The ruins of ancient Atlantis, seen for the first time in thousands of years. As they gaze in awe at the timeless structures, a few things come to mind. Constantine in particular is struck by how well-preserved these structures are compared to those in the city to the northwest. They are both in better repair and less clogged by seaweed and barnacles than what Constantine saw elsewhere. They don't look new, that's for sure. There are cracks and fallen columns and other signs that the ages have done their destructive job. But they definitely look good for their age.

Visible to all are the one central temple on a rise in the center, seven large temples surrounding the main temple, and a handful of smaller ones filling in the gaps.

[hr][/hr]
I'm assuming that after Aquarian abruptly departs, that will motivate the others to move as well.

Magnus can cast the following spells:

Magus' Magnificent Movement - allows fast movement
Lungs of the Fish - allows underwater breathing
Touch of Warmth - protects from the cold
Sight of the Nereid - allows better vision underwater
Eyes of the Cat - allows seeing better in dim light

Artemis can cast:

See What Lies Below the Sea - I presume this helps seeing underwater, though I can't see it written up anywhere.
Flight of the Maga - I'm guessing this helps with movement, though I can't see it written up anywhere.

Constantine can cast:

Blessings of Warmth - protects from the cold
Mercury's Winged Sandals - no reason you can't 'fly' underwater.

Haestus can cast:

Eyes of the Scaled Swimmer - not sure what this does
Gills of the scaled swimmer - I assume this gives the target gills making him breathe water not air.
Shape of the Able Swimmer - I assume this gives you the form of a beaver for the duration

Aquarian can:

breathe underwater
turn into fish, etc.
talk to fish
command fish

Meliai doesn't seem to be going along. (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Aquarian has no Magic Lore, so the description doesn't tell him much.

Aquarian, having arrived and gotten what information he can from the fish transforms into an eel so he better move amongst the buildings and get a sense of what lies within.

Constantine will take the enhancement effects offered by Magnus in addition to his own. His ring of ghostly form also would probably make travel underwater possible.
He will also cast Reveal the Lingering Spirit (InMe20, CT +56, HoH:TL p14) so he can see any spirits when the group get close to the temple area, and then will use it while searching.

Before setting off the next morning the will also check in with his apprentice.

Aquarian turns into an eel, the better to move around the temple district, and Constantine casts a spell to detect spirits. But the real question is where will the magi explore first? The streets? One of the small temples? One of the large temples? Or the central temple?

[hr][/hr]
No spirits immediately visible walking on the streets.

Aquarian, unable to communicate with humans in his current form beyond listening, heads for the main temple.