spring 1230 into the magic realm

(Aurelius has the Gift of Speech, so I suspect you can understand him.)

"Incredible! You mean that? Houses possibly leading to a hundred regios? Wow. If that's true, think of the possibilities we have here. How many ghosts can there be? How much knowledge and wealth can be accessed here?"

"Hundreds?" Replies the cat. "I can understand the idea in abstract, but I know that if there are that many mice it is far more than a belly full."

Bartomeus looks over at Anastasia and then back towards the houses. "Those houses are boundary gate … By the Oath! The scale of what this could mean. And if those gates lead to various regiones." The Bonisagus's eyes grow even wider.

"We need to understand this place better. Could we approach one of the houses and study it? See if one of us can see beyond its boundary? If it is even a boundary?"

Aurelius seems rather unperturbed by it all, pacing out a dozen slows steps to look around.

Anastasia nods at Bartomeus when he talks of studying the place and houses. She will cast Piercing The Magic Veil before proceeding, in case these are really regios.

The spell reveals nothing about the houses.

Kriegeist clears his throat. "Keep in mind this is a village, with people, that may not want their homes inspected or barged into. And they are so close to our entrance... we should try to make friends with them, we need to figure out this language. Does anyone have a way of preserving the sounds precisely? We can rely on memory, if we have to, I suppose..."

Anastasia adds: "These houses are not quite Regios, or at least my spell can't let me see that from here. I suspect your familiar, Aurelius, sees something else... but I don't know what."

After Kriegeist speaks up. "I could try and memorize a location... or a speech. But what I'm hearing makes me wonder whether it's a creole tongue, or whether they in fact speak different languages, and understand each other regardless. I agree with you that befriending is probably a smart move. Perhaps we can try to interact with one of the ghosts, and see how it goes?"

"We might want to be prepared to mention Master Mingus," says Bartomeus quietly as he listens to his colleagues.

"From what I understand, he appeared to move freely back and forth into this place. Perhaps affiliation with him might work in our favor. Or not."

Anastasia tries to home in on a ghost when she next hears Latin, to go and engage with him. "Salve!"

You catch a couple of words in Latin from a nearby male dressed in wool pants and shirt, talking with another man dressed in linen. Specifically the words for road and teacher are mixed into the sentence he utters.

Anastasia will try to ask the two ghosts about the town, to see if they're able to speak Latin without mixing with other tongues.

They do not appear to understand, but try to point out another ghostly individual.

Anastasia will follow directions and try to engage with the other ghost they are directing her towards.

She finds herself next to a man in a toga.

In latin: "Salve! Are you Roman?"

In Latin "No, but my trade takes me down to Rome. Well, took me down to Rome, I'm sort of retired now" he gestures around.

"There seems to be a lot of cultures here. where is everyone coming from?"

He knits his brow. "We come from our homes, but while we may have traveled and met travelers we are of one culture."

Bartomeus walks behind and to the side of Anastasia, listening and paying attention as carefully as he can as the maga and the man converse.

"Might I ask what you call this place?"