Spring 1290 journey to Europe

"I'm here to resign my function of lead quaesitor."

Why would he search to hide the main reason to his journey ? The choice hurt him, but he doesn't have so much choices. He isn't no more what he was and can't deal with these responsabilities, now.

The magus gives a short inhalation and looks to either side. "While I have a suspicion of the reason, would you please state why you wish to resign? We do have a shortage of Quaesitors in the African Tribunal."

"Because I can't assume these responsabilities, now."

Maat begins, "Technically you wouldn't be assuming them, you have already..." she trails off under the gaze of the other two. Sergius turns back to you and simply follows with "And the reason you cannot perform the duties? Understand this is a routine question, for some very legitimate reasons."

Tastheus sighs, looks to the three magi :

"Because a young magi fresh out of gauntlet would be incapable of being a lead quaesitor, unless you have a shortage on the African court at that point, of course."

"So you?" Artistocles begins before Sergius turns to stop him and a whispered conference ensues for several seconds. Finally Sergius addresses you again. "That is an interesting statement. According to the information available to the Quesitors you have been past your gauntlet for over a hundred years. Is that the statement you wish to officially make, and in a related question do you wish to begin an investigation regarding possible deprivation of magical power?"

During their whispering deal, the Tytalus closes his eyes, he needs to stay calm and precise in his answer. He knows that his sentence will lead to another questions, more personal. He doesn't like this, but he can't say that he doesn't anticipate where the conversation will go.

When he hears the question and how the magi front of him formulates it, his first thinking is "Damned Frosty Breath". It would be so easy to betray his covenant mates now. That wouldn't be his fault, just a bad choice of words during a meeting who seems to be an interrogatory. Just a fault, not really a betraying. Just answer, "yes, it's what I wish.". Just say the truth under a frosty breath spell...

"No, I can't say I'm a newly gauntlet magi. I'm Tastheus ex-Tytalus, and I had earned my title of archmagi some years ago..."

He close his eyes and takes a deep inspiration, before straightening up in his seat.

"But, however, I'm now like a young magi. My arts, my knowledge, my memory... all of that are those of myself just after my gauntlet."

The reaction of the spell is like a knife on his mind. He would have wanted that all of these last sentences were cold like the worst winter in the heart of Novgorod's tribunal, but it's hot like the sand wind on Al-Kufra.

Betray or not betray ? The question haunts him until he says his answer.

"And yes, I would wish an investigation."

He lets a little time, no more that some seconds, but like an eternity to him. Betray or not ? He must take a decision, now. Will he choice silence or precisions ?

"But I will follow the decision of the Council of Al-Kufra and declines this proposition. The Council doesn't want an investigation. We just want a way to start again, in peace and protection, like young magi and not like former archmagi."

He makes his choice, follows his covenant mates, follows the council. These magicians are all he has left, or almost, his friends, his brothers...

1 Like

As you announce that you will decline an investigation the frosty breath spell is dropped. The three magi all share looks between them.
"We cannot of course force an investigation, but we find it disquieting that a covenant is able to squash the desire of one of its members for an investigation. Since there is ultimately no crime being pursued we are going to put this report under quaesitorial seal, and of course accept your resignation. If there is nothing else then, we apologize for the tone of these proceedings, the situation and outcome was not what we anticipated."
Artistocles adds "If you wish assistance in understanding what has happened, I can make discrete inquiries to locate a bonisagus researcher who would be interested in the more academic aspects of your situation."

1 Like

"So may I ask what exactly you were expecting? What was the information, the report that Malachi, our fairy traveller, gave you?"

After a short time to think :
"As for your proposal, I need to talk to the others about it."

1 Like

Atys sees no issue w/ having the help from a researcher. Though he will not voice this unless asked. He is not a member of the covenant after all....

Surprising absolutely nobody, Plasmatoris is happily settled in wherever the magi of the local covenant stuck him, trying to find some way to do sketches of the landscape and of the magi and covenfolk nearby.

If Tastheus comes to look for him, the magus is trying to use charcoal and scrap to capture the look between a maga and her familiar who are clearly delighted to see be together.

"Sodales, my concern was the choice to speak up after the council had its decision. I will remind you, I was less concerned with the ominous secrets - however, I am quite delighted with the wealth of rewards we have inherited from our predecessors, and would be most irate if something happened for us to lose them." Plasmatoris does not stop his drawing as he talks, his bright eyes focused and more obviously pleased by creating artwork than he has seemed for the entirety of his time in Al-Kufra. Charcoal is smeared over his fingers, his cheeks and face and forehead.
"I believe you must live your life in a fashion that makes you feel better about yourself, whether that makes you honest and hopeful, or secretive and selfish. I would rather not have a researcher around interrupting our work until we have the Covenant more properly settled - and then my opinion still might be that I don't want them. I can't predict that far ahead."

2 Likes

"Malachi indicated that you were a grumpy old magus in the body of a grumpy young magus, but you didn't remember being a grumpy old magus, but that you were coming to complain about it to someone so we would deal with it. Quite a colorful companion you have there."

2 Likes

Aetherius is likely spending his time at Magvillus trying to interact with young magi, if there are any, seeing if there are any contacts he'd like to keep and write to. When asked about a Bonisagi researcher, he answers "Let's discuss that back at the covenant. We can vote on it, and related issues such as investigative help."

1 Like

As the meeting with the Guernicus wraps up Malachai has been dealing with the staff of the covenant getting rooms set up for the magi for the night. There are a few apprentices in the covenant, but apart from their paren's parma they are not inclined to speak with other magi, and one young magus who seems to be spending a fair amount of his time dealing with reports that have been brought in by redcaps.
Malachai is intermittently pestering the group about where they are headed next and how he can help.

"Yes, a colorful companion..."' grumples Tastheus.

"About the bonisagus' help... I want speak with other members to have their opinions. Maybe you should invite them in this discussion ? That would be easier to discuss about Al-Kafra."

"I would prefer not to ask them their opinion at this time. If we tell everyone what happened, we may as well ask for quaesitorial help, and even if I support your change of heart, that decision may need to wait until our sodales at the covenant can weigh in. It would be especially bad form to consult them about a decision on the future of Al Kufra such as inviting a Bonisagi researcher without being able to consult Lares and Argentius. They hold no voting rights until we decide to admit them formally - or not - in the presence of our sodales. I don't think it's fair to those of our sodales left behind to treat them as members who can weigh in on our decisions such as this one until they're properly admited in by the terms of our charter." he marks a pause "Not that I have any desire to pretend to be an elder magi any longer."

Aetherius will approach the young magi who receives redcap reports. "Hello. I'm Aetherius ex Mercere from the African Tribunal. You are? I'm not disturbing, I hope."

1 Like

"Ceasarus ex Guerniucus. What can I do for you?"

"Do? Nothing much. We're at the covenant for the evening. You looked to be a similar age, I just thought I'd talk to you."

1 Like

(OOC: I'm assuming here that the companions are also set up at the covenant.)

Aban is relaxing in a common room as he sees Plasmatoris returning from the meeting.

"Did it go alright? Were the colors in order?"

He asks the latter question with seemingly complete sincerity.

1 Like