spring covenant idea on Crete - question it or support it
I'm brand new to these forums, also new to Ars Magica 5th edition. I am familiar with Ars 4th, so I have the love for Ars... My game gang is in the process of planning a new campaign. Next Saturday we will be building our covenant and planning Magi and other characters. I'd like to "vet" some of the very basic idea for our campaign plan.
I'd love to have you folks (more familiar with Ars or the real world history) ask questions, poke holes, or support with neat new ideas my short notes for our idea. Here's the idea:
It was in the years following the 4th Crusade that she was lost to me. She was my last love, the daughter of my wife, the muse of my magics. I am of House Mercere and Ordinem ministramus et sustinemus, but in this I serve myself. It is my greatest ambition, my greatest desire, and my greatest wrathful pride. But I must. By all the dormant magics in me - for the gift I was given in our daughter I will see her death avenged. It was [insert Roman family/crusader] that fell her, I am most sure. My muse was found slaughtered by my fellows with her caravan, along the roads outside the Constantinople region, returning from her first Redcap duty taking up my journeyman position among my brother's societas ... the Followers of Belin. Though she must have fought with her gifts as strongly as her men fought with arms, based on the investigations of my fellows... They report that she was alone in death, her camp murdered by those that hail from the Roman magi, masters and merchants issued forth by Innocent III, with an intention of invading the so called 'Holy Lands' through the sands and lands of the Nile. Though the Roman killers may not have known this would wake such a monster. In fact, it could be guessed they did not even know my daughter was of the Order - I donot doubt the chance my investigations of their directed strike could be misplaced. But I, I donot care. I have made judgment as they did. I will lurk from the shadow to form a beast, unlike their Greek forefathers ever knew. A new form of Hydra with more heads and power than they can imagine. It was through my House that I spread the word in these early months. It was at Tribunal in which I garnered support to form a beachhead against the tyrannical might of Rome. Though this will not be overt, those with mind and mettle to heed my Redcap's call are coming from far and wide to assemble a new Covenant at the remains a lost family's holdings on the Isle of Crete, which I have secured with a good portion of my own formidable contacts and wealth. The old Venetian holding will bare the fruits of spring. And with the support bolstered through the tragedy of such a senseless slaughter of Mercere messengers, whether anonymous or backed in name... through coin or collections... through angst or ire, against the Roman values, mercantile or for the sheer fact of their bullying nature - the call has gone out and they are coming. The first will form the core and in time reach out to draw others. And I will live longer and stronger using all my wealth and wit to fund and fulfill anyone's wish to see the old empire become a footnote. Death will be avenged. And all that is wrong of Rome will be cut as a tumor from the heart of the Order. For we serve the Order and keep it alive.
(need a great name, family, etc... for this father... any ideas??)
The simple bullet idea:
- Roman crusaders (need a good family connected to the Roman Tribunal/Covenants) killed a daughter of a Redcap of House Mercere.
- The Redcap father is a rich merchant, having turned his position over to his daughter who was one of the few that had the gift.
- it's unknown (to the father or PCs) if the Roman crusaders slaughtered the Redcap group unknowingly or for some nefarious Tribunal/House/Covenant reason (any ideas??!!)
- When this is learned the father gets mad and seeks to strike back at the entirety of the Roman Tribunal (he probably has other reason from his past, ANY ideas??) but this set him off... he uses the vast messenger traditions of the Redcaps to spread the horror story of this slaughter, keeping it lower profile as to who/how exactly they will strike, but making it clear to anyone wishing to strike against Rome that this is a new way.
- the new way... the power of commerce, fighting the Roman Tribunal and Crusaders states through forming a beachhead (a new Covenant) on the Isle of Crete.
- The father uses his political powers and nearly all his wealth to buy/secure a small holding on Crete (even though it's now under Venetian purview, and at the most recent Thebian Tribunal has the idea pitched to form a new covenant pushed through (again with his political ties and favors)
- through dozens of anonymous donations (from coin, favors, surplus of supplies - such as random books, vis, etc...) many secret supporters pledge aid and begin arranging plans to have those supplies sent to Crete or available to retrieve (any ideas for anonymous supporters or the supplies they give??)
Overall... the idea and themese of the entire campaign is literally:
BEACHHEAD, CONFEDERACY, and active plotting by any young magi to form a strategy against Roman influence... with the support of this father who built a "rally cry" for anyone wishing the fall of Roman power in the Order and in world power and wealth.
I need help!
Shoot holes. Ask questions. and most importantly - if you give reasons why it might NOT work or make sense in areas.... PLEASE Give ideas to support or add to this core idea.