Stultus Maximus of Tytalus, aka il Supremo Nasone

There's one thing I feel I need to make the troupe aware of. Stultus is technically not a by-the-rules character. He has the Gift of Tongues virtue without the Mythic Blood prerequisite.
The reason for that is that he is already extremely skills-heavy, and the concept pretty much required that he be able to speak at least 2-3 languages fluently besides Latin and Greek. I couldn't make the concept work otherwise without shorting his Arts/spells.

Does anyone have a problem with that?

(I've always hated the way Ars Magica does languages. It's very realistic, yes -- it took me-the-player almost exactly the amount of time to learn a foreign language by immersion that the rules say -- but it makes it difficult with character creation.)

I hereby inflict the Legacy flaw upon Stultus Maximus.
Muhahahaha!

Even though it is two story flaws, there is precedence for two story flaws for characters in this saga. And these are both minor flaws.

Okay, that works. :slight_smile:

So, have you thought about his entry into the saga?
There is the huge mingling of Tribunal magi currently ongoing. Also there is the Grand Tribunal. Stultus could show up there to cause trouble, or something...

Whichever gets me into play sooner. :slight_smile: I'd prefer the tournament.

I've pretty much run through the Tournament. Alexei is finishing up the Joust. Marcus won the Dimicatio. It's possible that Stultus saw Tranquillina and Bilera in a deep discussion, but wasn't eavesdropping, or was he? :smiley:

I'm not going to get a better straight line than that, am I? I'll post in a bit. :smiley:

Fine by me :slight_smile:

This is all really good. In particular, Cumhachd's feeling of personal failure over Eskil is obviously how she would actually feel (meaning, like all good ideas, obvious after someone points it out to me).
I should think about the extent to which Tranquillina understands the House Tytalus philosophy. At best she has a limited understanding, and/or one that is countered by her unconscious insecurity.

Uh oh ... being liked by a Tytalus isn't necessarily a good-feeling thing :laughing:

I can see Tranquillina being very resistant to this all, even if she reluctantly agrees he could be a tactical advantage. Still, it makes for good story!
And not to mention that all of this gives JL an excuse to sic one of Tranquillina's story flaws on her :imp:

Well, her limited understanding of Tytalus philosophy was more than obvious in her conversation with Bilera. (The interesting thing Stultus noticed is that Bilera's understanding of Tytalus seemed a bit incomplete as well, but that's beside the point.)

But you don't necessarily need to change her. Give Stultus a chance to possibly change her mind in-character. That is one of his specialties, after all. :wink:

How about Stultus did make a bit of a fool of him/Alexei, and when Alexei confronted him privately was when he revealed the ruse. Along with something like "Gad you're dense! Have ye never seen a play before?"

Not sure he'd've used those exact words -- I can supply an exasperated rant if the exact wording is important -- but sure, that works.

Slight change to Rahere (the familiar's) stats. His one language should be Arabic, not Italian.

Why? Because his player is an idiot, that's why. Gibraltar has never been a part of Italy. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Because this is relevant to Fiona's interests (so to speak), what does Stultus's "long flexible nose" look like? Is it a large yet normal nose like Jamie Farr or Jimmy Durante? Or is it more like a small trunk, like a tapir's, kindasorta?

Look up Gerard Depardieu as Cyrano de Bergerac. It's kinda like that.

And Fiona says..."Oh My..."

Especially with the "flexible" bit. Even if he does only come up to her lower thigh. Although it is only a level 3 CrIg to make her hooha glow at moonlight intensity for Concentration duration. Easily spontable without fatigue.

In the back of my head, Stultus smirks and mutters something about alpinism.

I had "flexible" defined in my head as "just enough muscle control to be funny". Just FYI.

Hehe.

I wasn't sure, that's why I asked.

Did you decide in the end that Stultus does have the Gift of Tongues Heroic Virtue?
And I'm curious as to what the details of his Legacy are.... :slight_smile:

Yes, he does -- and ask JL. :smiley: