Summer 1220, Chapter 3: Midsummer Madness

Sinmore's enormous bulk is quite effective at keeping herself and Attravere from being knocked over, though it also means she has to fight harder to get through the sea of bodies. Her progress is quite slow, though she is in no danger of being trampled underfoot, nor is Attravere while he stands in her wake.

At the baron's castle, the corridor was dark so Sinmore has no idea what it looks like when a shapeshifter changes shape. IIRC she only felt the brush of feathers as the other person brushed past her.

"Move! I said move ye blasted fools! Let me through!" she continues to bellow as she drags Attravere along with her. Any that linger too long she will shove out of the way, continuing to where the 'murder' has taken place.

((What do we find when we get there?))

Has Rhodri heard any of the commotion?

Not yet :slight_smile: Rhodri and Aequi are still in the wagon with the faerie knight. Now that you mention it, it does seem quite odd; Rhodri can't hear any commotion of the outside hustle-and-bustle of the crowded faire from within the wagon. Despite seeming nothing more than a rickety old wooden wagon, the interior is silent and still as the grave.

Attravere, startled initially, nods his agreement and follows in Sinmore's wake. He doesn't wish to rego his corpus to the scene of the crime if it looks like they're making progress. He will however be very cautious as they move forward given the press and chaos.

Iapetus shall be the noble soul, following in the wake of Sinmore's quite skilled path-forging, and keeping the people from sweeping in around himself and Attravere. He makes a soft, slow whistle at the show of strength form the Flambeau, but doesn't explain why as he moves towards the scene. After a moment or two of following, Iapetus pushes forwards again against the crowd, stepping next to Sinmore and helping ford the river of people, even if his more limited size and strength are not as useful.
If it looks like he's hindering more than helping, the Tytalus will reluctantly fall back behind Sinmore next to Attravere.

Iapetus lacks Sinmore's bulk, so he has an easier time getting through the crowd than she does (i.e. his ease factor is not modified with a Size penalty), however, that also means that he is getting a lot more abuse. You have two options: you can either press through the crowd and make it there in about two minutes, at risk of your personal health (that is, you'd take some damage getting there), or you could try to hide behind Sinmore and get there in roughly five minutes.

Sinmore is in no danger of taking damage from the crowd due to her size (well, that and her Soak). She has the option of getting to the source of the chaos in about five minutes' time, none worse for the wear, or she could make it there in about half that if she opts to shove people out of the way hard enough to hurt them. A lot of the people here are strangers, but many of them are covenfolk (at least you'd assume so due to the preponderance of yarmulkes :p)

Attravere has the option of cowering behind either Iapetus or Sinmore, or bamfing there before the mob has a chance to damage the potential crime scene.

Minutes to arrive? That won't do! Attravere will glance about to see whether any other members of his house came with them, Sir Guillaume in particular.

Guillaume has been making a pretense of helping to control the crowd around the group of magi. Now that Attravere looks closer, he realizes that the big Redcap is actually protecting your back, so that between him and Sinmore, Attravere is safe. (You know for a fact that Guillaume has a means of using 7LS, because you enchanted the item for him.)

Among the press of bodies and voices Attravere will turn to Sir Guillaume and Iapetus, but speak loudly enough that Sinmore can hear (shouting if he must), "We must get to the fallen man soon. I'm going to appear in that space as best I can. Join me as soon as you are able, please." then incant Seven League Stride to get himself there. (And Company March was being researched this season too!)

Attravere pops into place precariously atop a wagon just beside the commotion. From here he can see that the man is still breathing laboriously, but blood is everywhere. (Guillaume remains behind with Sinmore and Iapetus.)

You do not recognize the man. That is some fine silk clothing which has been irreparably torn and bloodied, so he is likely either a merchant or nobleman or magus. He does not seem to be conscious, but you can hear his ragged breath.

Such a silly 'choice' you give the Tytalus. He will get there nice and quick, shoving and winding his way through the crowd, Iapetus taking up the challenge of fording a river of people!

Sinmore's jaw sets as she sees the gruesome scene. "Back away!" she orders to the gawkers nearby. "All of you!" she repeats. She might not be good with people, but they usually listened when she put her heart into it. She looks around the body for any obvious weapon or cause of death then shakes her head. "Who is this? I can cast a Ritual Healing spell, but we need the vis and the time. Is anyone a chirurgeon?"

I still need to know if Sinmore chooses to arrive sooner rather than later. (Timing matters.) It's a mob- folks aren't going to get out of your way just because you yell; everyone's yelling :slight_smile:

((Sooner, they will get out of the way!))

Attravere will be beside the man immediately, spontaneously casting a Bind Wounds on him to keep him from dying immediately (Anything non-botch would succeed). To any onlookers, "Give me some space. I will do what I can to tend this man's wounds."

What is the situation like near the dying man? Is the crowd fled? Are they watching like vultures? Pressing in? Keeping a distance? Do any have weapons out?
With Attravere's Magic Theory, does he know whether many small healing spells will act like larger one?

Let's say it was about a minute of struggling against the crowd behind Sinmore before Attravere Rego'd his Corpus ahead. Makes bookkeeping easier. That gives him six rounds to act alone. Iapetus will arrive at round 7, less two fatigue levels and having taken two light wounds (cumulative penalty of -3 to all actions); Sinmore will arrive at round 9 with some bad karma; Guillaume will arrive at round 15, none worse for the wear.

Round 1: Attravere does not hurt himself as he jumps down from the painted wagon he 'ported on top of (you can only move to a spot you can see, IIRC). While Attravere is certain he cast the Bind Wounds spell correctly, it does not seem to affect the man. (His MT is more than sufficient that he knows a magus cannot suppress his Parma to allow through beneficial spells while he is unconscious.)

The crowd has left a small pocket around the dying man and the mess of broken pottery. They seem unwilling to press in too close, as though death is somehow contagious.

Round 2: Attravere scans the crowd around him. There's gawkers aplenty, as those closest your bubble are gaping openly. Attravere does notice one fellow in particular who watches the dying man with a look of pity, but seems a bit too... calm.

What does Attravere do with Round 3? Remember you'll have four more actions before the first of your friends arrives.

Tabanus and his pupils had a lovely time visiting with a gypsy fortune teller. Two gypsy children beat on drums and played the pipes as the old woman told the girl that she would grow up to marry into wealth and affluence (at which the girl screwed up her face and stuck out her tongue), and the boy that he would grow up to become a great warrior (at which the skinny boy seemed astounded).

Upon thanking her for her "service" and reaching for the wagon door, Tabanus sees a great commotion before him. There is a wealthy-looking man bleeding to death in a pile of broken pottery, and Attravere is looking around suspiciously.

Tabanus may act in Round 3.

Attravere will mentally note the calm individual.

Realizing the gravity with the dying fellow potentially being a magus, Attravere will try to Bind Wounds again to keep him from dying. This time touching the fellow's arm to use as an arcane connection (+4) and using loud and exaggerated gestures (+2) for additional spell strength and the chosen effect of 'as much penetration as possible'. (CT=(27+4+2+Aura+die)/2)

You can't use (attached) body parts as arcane connections, otherwise all Touch spells would have AC bonuses.

Will double check when I get home.