Summer 1220, Chapter 3: Midsummer Madness

Sinmore looks at the sound of the crashing crockery and shouts. "What the hell?" she mutters as she tries to see what's going on. Her right hand reaches behind her shoulder and when it finds nothing she puts on an exasperated expression. "Blast! I left my Little Sister in the lab! I hate dresses!" she snarls.

((Trying to see from her elevated vantage point what was causing the ruckus))

Attravere will calmly look for the source of the noise, expecting the necessary small ruckus that such festivals invariable create.

Aequi extends a hand towards the door and gestures, then owlishly blinks and turns towards the wagon. "Oh, oh! That's me! You mean me! Been a while since I heard... but of course you..."he shakes his head a bit. "Guess I'm more surprised at not being surprised, which is a very strange feeling." He bounds up the two stairs and opens the door, practically hanging onto the handle as he swings most of his weight out on a foot into open air. "After you, of course," and smiles at Rhodri and the faerie lady.

Rhodri politely offers his hand as the knight ascends the stairs. "Let's see what tomorrow holds, my lady." Rhodri is still debating how to take Aequi. If he weren't so superior to Aequi, he would be more upset, but Aequi is being too charming with his date...

The wagon is pitch black as Aequi, Rhodri and the fae knight enter-- even the light from the open door vanishes upon stepping through the entry. As the door closes, a muffled grunt gives way to the same rough voice from before: "That was my beak, not a lamp." After a few more scuffling noises, there is the distinctive clicking of claws on metal, and suddenly the wagon is awash in the soft synthetic moonlight of a Creo Ignem effect, emitting from a globe with Gracchus the raven perched precariously on top.

Lamentus is dressed in outrageous blue and silver robes, and while he seems to be snoring soundly, his image shimmers in the distinctive manner of a magus in a Twilight episode.

"So uhhh, I don't know when the old man will be back. Why don't you all sit down? Nick, can you pour the hypocras? You folks tell me what you want to know, and I'll tell you what the old man sees."

Aequi quickly bustles to the table and begins humming as he measures out several glasses. He also pours liquid from a different jar into a a very short, thin tumbler and into a wide bowl. He serves the spiced wine to Rhodri and guest, the tumbler in front of Gracchus and flat bowl of liquid on the table in front of the Twilight-sleeping magus.

With a gut reaction, reaching towards his own hip to brush his fingers over the haft of his mace, making sure its there. Iapetus turns and peers off in the same direction as the noise. "Tsk, interruptions and trouble," he murmurs under his breath. "Sounds fun."
Speaking up louder and clearer, he asks, "Pardon, what is off in that direction?"

Rhodri's rising ire calms as he sees Aequi is serving him. :wink:

"What question would you like answered, my lady? I had the impression you intended to come here before the festival started."

The knight shakes her head sadly. "I came to learn if ... If we should expect more of the same, or if there is hope for the future."

"Expect more of the same of what? Being new to the area, I don't know to what you refer. Is there something which which I could help."

She smiles sadly and nods at Lamentus in response. "HE knows."

The ancient mage begins speaking without opening his eyes, swaying back and forth in a curious manner as he recites in a sing-songy voice that crescendos to a shout:

"Ill am I," he moaned. And then:
"Adrift and buffeted by fiends."
I shifted on my shanks; a clod
Dislodged, and he sprang toward my trench.

"Who's there? Another elf?" he raged.
"I'll take you bladeless, with my hands!"
And like a prophet in a trance
He stalked me with his arms outstretched.

"Whunh? Who's there?" the seer mutters as he snuffles into a waking state, opening his eyes to glare at his customers. "Oh, 'tis you, m'lady. So nice to see you again for the first time, and seeking the smith." He then begins to sing with a huge smile:

With a jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle,
With a jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, hi-ho!

Her magic, she said, no good work could afford her,
its vis and its tools were worn out long ago;
The smith said, "Well, mine are in very good order,"
And off to the young damsel's forge they did go!

With a jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle,
With a jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, bang-jingle, hi-ho!

The Twilight-ridden wizard then jerks like he's been hit with lightning before returning to his previous eyes-closed swaying:

"Where rests my sword?" "Below, behind...
You have no need of steel henceforth."
"I must depart: I've heights to scale,
Where sweet-lipped destiny beckons still."

His eyes pop open, and he stares directly through Rhodri and the Golden Knight: "Like dallying eagles, dance and tumble through the skies, but winds will blust and winds will blow as dawn-born like the dream-born dies." He then closes his eyes and slumps.

"Silver or Vis!" Gracchus cackles. "Pay up!"

The fae knight's brow furrows in thought. With no further indication as to how she's taken the prophecy, the knight lifts her skirt (gasp!) and unstraps a leather holster from her ankle, and drops a bronze-hilted blade, sheath and all, into Lamentus' upturned hat.

The sidhe turns to Rhodri and Aequi. "Your turns, friends?" she inquires nonchalantly as she takes Rhodri's arm.

Rhodri recalls he has a number of excellent swords back in his shop. Those could certainly work as payment. "Excuse me, my lady. I will be back in a moment." He gives her a kiss on the hand that me must reluctantly let go. Very shortly he returns with a finely crafted (Excellent+3) sword to offer as payment. He makes an effort to keep it covered and away from the faerie as it is made of steel. "I am ready..."

The raven squawks as his beak nips the sword's hilt. "What part of 'silver or vis' was ambiguous, dwarf?" he rattles curmudgeonly. "Anyway, there's no charge for voyeurism, and it was the princess' fortune, even if you're part of it." He tries fruitlessly to pick up the blade and move it out of the makeshift collection device. "...A little help here?"

OOC - Ooops. That was Chris trying to make progress on a 3g connection while out in the woods. I missed that part, or rather, probably read it quite a while ago and forgot.

Rhodri will help the raven move the dagger.

Gracchus appears mollified at Rhodri's aid. "Nick, you'll help them with the door? It still sticks when you open it from the inside."

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The others are craning their necks to see the cause of the loud crash. At first it appears to be a drunk who has fallen over into a display of pottery. As the gathered crowd spots the blood leaking from his ribs, the confused buzz gives rise to a few screams and shouts. "Murder! Murder!!!" The faire erupts into chaos as people run about in hysterical confusion.

"Calm! QUIET!" Attravere will loudly call out then look to his family, Sinmore and the foreign Mace-wielder for help in preventing the event from spiraling further out of control. He will make his way toward the fallen person. If he doesn't recognize the individual then he will ask those nearby "Does anyone know him?"

(Is the fellow dead? Bleeding to death?)

Isabelle gasps and vanishes, leaving only a puff of white feathers as a beautiful swan flies away from the chaos. Sir Guillaume tries to aid Attravere in calming down the crowd, but mob panic has already ensued so there is little to be done.

Attravere does not recognize the fallen man from where he is. To get closer, Attravere would have to fight against the tide of fleeing, panicked mob. How do you wish to proceed?

Sinmore seemed about to act when Isabelle suddenly disappears in a puff of feathers which brings back somewhat recent memories. After her moment of confusion she begins wading into the crowd towards the center of the mass of panic. As an afterthought she takes Attravere by the hand to help bring him along. "Move!" she bellows and shoves her way through.

((That sudden transformation into a swan by Isabelle, is that at all familiar from when Sinmore was back in the Baron's castle?))