Summer 1220, Chapter 3: Midsummer Madness

As he had promised, Iapetus shall not be a bother, and seeks to negate the peddler's worries and distaste by acting true to his word.

The Tytalus magus will spend a good long time carousing, chatting, and socializing. Anytime he can get into a social circle and share drinks or stories, he will, and his good cheer and friendly attitude strikes out against his modest social masteries. If the peddler who brought him doesn't have shoddy wears (I assume someone selling to Magi would not bring cheap trash) Iapetus will heartily recommend him for those looking to browse wares. Iapetus will continue to be polite and not bother the young daughter near the man, and will offer to purchase him a drink in thanks.

Iapetus is quite glad to be at the gathering, and lets it show with his eager attitude. He absolutely MUST find a chance to compliment the primier dancer of the troupe. "Beautiful lady, you are as graceful as waves against the shore, your movements perfectly fitting to every moment. Quite a sight for the blood to heat inside. You must understand, it is my culture to compliment such beauty when it is found, and I mean no insult by being so forward..." As before, the Spaniard's flirting is open and honest, and he does mean it as a compliment rather than as a means to get his goals, for those with skilled folk-ken. As for the young Leia, Iapetus is quite pleased to spend time with her as long as the father is not around to look askance at it - around the peddler he is as polite and charming as he can manage.

Once the time with the casual fair-going is done, its time to settle in for the more important things: Gossip and news. While he isn't an accomplished gossip, Iapetus shall seek out the local Magi and Redcaps and covenant-folk for news of the Tribunal locally. He seeks stories and legends of the area, and has a particular interest in any rumors regarding the disappeared Magi of the local area. Due to his association with his mentor Audax, the Spanish magus will seek out the locals of Gallus Florensis as opposed to the visitors, but he is seeking to hear rumors and news from all over - gatherings of Magi from different locales are rare enough.

[Skills appropriate: Carouse 1, Charm 2(first impressions), Folk Ken 1 (young women), Stonehenge Tribunal lore 1(Current news)]

"Both," she replies softly. "I have sought his wisdom before. Tell me, do you put much stock in prophecy?"

Aequi can't seem to find Lamentus anywhere.

The Stonehenge Redcaps are mostly split up, though Guillaume accompanies his sister Isabelle to some of the bawdier events. There is a group of three Redcaps from Rome who all seem to be engaging in a heated discussion with four faerie redcaps (hah!) over a keg of cider.

The faerie band is playing music of the carousing variety, not the relaxation type :slight_smile:

Iapetus only knows of two magi at Gallus Florensis: the lovely Liliana of Merinita, and the Twilight-addled (some say mad) Lamentus of Criamon. Neither of them seem to be present at the festivities. There are plenty of Redcaps (easy enough to pick out with their distinctive headwear, after all) and with the exception of some speaking in Italian to a group of faerie redcaps, they're all split up to their own devices. Iapetus will take note of one particularly lovely Redcap, however-- with long golden curls tumbling about ivory shoulders, and a figure almost unearthly in its grace and beauty.

With whom will you strike up a conversation? (Sorry, we have to roleplay through all rumours, or else I can't be subtle enough with planting story seeds :p)

Ah, it is almost a silly question.

Iapetus shall MOST definitely approach the lovely Redcap. "Excuse me, fair lady," he says in a murmuring voice. "I am not often in these parts, and was hoping I could gain your company for a while, for both the charm of your person as well, as the local knowledges that the Redcaps Mercere are famous for."

As intriguing as flirting with Findabair is... barter is NOT Attravere's strong suite and he doesn't wish to embarrass his house (or himself) should that come to light.

Attravere will exchange pleasantries with Fabricor and Jonaquil (being watchful for hints from either to scram) and inquire how things are at their covenant(s).

Once the signal comes to vamoose he'll head over to the Redcap gathering greeting all his fellows and express his great pleasure at Lady d'Arras' presence that he might apologize for the antics of his younger days. He'll offer to make amends as she deems fit.

She smiles and tips her red beret coquettishly. "Je m'apelle Isabelle d'Arras, une chapeau-rouge de Normandie, mais que je suis liaison du Stonehenge," she replies. "Et vous?"

Sinmore gasps when she see the smaller man not just stumble but fall arse-over-teakettle from what she thought was a gentle nudge. Her initial response is to make a slight giggle, but then when she sees him fall and spill beer all over himself and hears the laughter of others, she stops. She's about to lean over and help him up when she's confronted by his friend and band-mate. Initially she starts getting the all too familiar flush of anger to her cheeks, and her hand clenched into a fist, but then she stops and reaches to her face and wipes away a tear at her eye. For all of her bluster and gruffness, she is a lonely woman. She wanted to make a friend and not cause such a scene. She takes a gulp of her ale and says: "I'm...sorry...I didn't mean to embarass yer friend. I'll go now."

Walking away with scalding cheeks, she stops at the ale tent and gets another ale then scans the crowd from her elevated viewpoint, looking for any familiar faces.

Rhodri will be sure to see the Tremere soldiers (if they're there) and Sir Guillaume. He will introduce his guest to them, of course.

"I do put stock in prophecy. We are, after all, beings of the supernatural. However, at the same time, I know I am strong enough to overcome the limits of prophecy. So I would never resign myself to a doom foretold."

When Attravere makes his way over to Isabelle, she is speaking with a tall burly fellow, but when she sees you she laughs happily and throws her arms around the Mercere's neck. "Cousin!" she exclaims in Latin (for all members of House Mercere are cousins, however distantly removed), "It is good to see you! Have you met... ahem..." she turns to Iapetus and gestures for him to introduce himself.

Sinmore doesn't get out much so she doesn't recognize many people. She does recognize a Spaniard Flambeau who had squired for a magus that beat her pater soundly at the last Flambeau Melee; she thinks his name was... Pedro? Regardless, he seems to be speaking with Attravere and a female Redcap Sinmore doesn't recognize, while Guillaume looks on.

The Tremere soldiers do not seem to have made an appearance. Sir Guillaume is pleasant and polite when he meets the Knight, and she is a graceful and courteous guest.

"That is something we share in common, then," she states with a sigh. "But come. Let us hear of darkness and dismay." She leads Rhodri to the fortune teller's wagon, where Aequi is lingering outside, munching on some kind of beast leg roasted on a stick.

In an instantly excellent mood, Attravere smiles and embraces Isabella back. "It is my delight, dear Lady Isabella, to see you once again." and then "It is an pleasure to see you, as always, Sir Guillaume." He will also greet the redcaps he is familiar with before turning to the unknown ...warrior?

If Attravere spots Sinmore he'll pause, think twice and then wave her over for introductions.

Sinmore had been watching the small group for a moment, her head cocked as she was trying to remember a Flambeau tournament some years ago. Her Parens' bluster had gotten him involved against an Apromorian who had sharpened his tools in the hotbed of conflict in Spain, while he had perhaps gotten a bit soft. The duel had been rather one-sided, perhaps that was why the young magus seemed familiar to her, she remembered now that he was the apprentice of the Apromorian. She then noticed Attravere waving and took a sip from her ale and headed over.

By her walk it was obvious she was not very accustomed to wearing a dress, her balance and gait seemed to be off, perhaps being more used to wearing armor and a sword.

"Evening to ye." she says with a somewhat husky voice. "Who are yer friends Attravere?" she speaks to Attravere but she has a quizical eye on the new people.

"Ah, my dear friends, this is Sinmore of house Flambeau - a recent addition to this covenant." Introduces Attravere.
"And these,"while looking at Sinmore and gesturing to his red-attired companions with a mixture of pride and affection, "Are all dear members of house Mercere, Sin- er.. discipulus." he finishes with a sour expression and then a wink.
"Excepting this fine fellow who has yet to introduce himself," he says, turning toward the unknown fellow once again whilst raising an eyebrow.

"Greetings, Aequi. Did you come to listen to the fortune teller as well?"

The Spaniard inclines his head to her response, replying in tones that are playful and friendly, "Buenas tardes, mi nombre es Iapetus de España. Me temo, señora mía, que yo no hablo francés." At the approach of the unknown Redcap(Attravere), the man takes a half-step back, politely making room for him, and another step back to increase the little social circle to allow the giantish Flambeau as she arrives.

The Spaniard is cheerful if a bit rough-looking, healthy and hale and regrettably still wearing his traveling clothes as he is just into the faire from the road. His movements are careful and a bit graceful, clearly a swordsman with some training (but not enough to make it look natural). As each extra person appears to the conversation, there is a moment of pause as he re-adjusts his plan and opinion for the conversation, before he returns to his pleasant and casual demeanor. After a short bit of waiting, allowing those with a bit more social graces to take their turns with introductions before he is reminded that he has to handle his introduction himself.
"Of course," he says in Latin, his tone more formal and practiced than his Spanish. "I am Iapetus of Tytalus, and am most pleased to meet all of you." He gives them all a cheerful smile and a bow of his head as part of the introduction - apparently he isn't as good at adding flirting tones into his Latin. "I apologize if I have interrupted a gathering, I was merely using an opportunity to single out a beautiful lady for compliments, a regrettable trait of my youth." Without missing a beat in his speech, Iapetus turns his attention from one person to another, ending with a glance at Sinmore before bowing his head a little more towards her and adding, "Veo que he sido honrado con otra flor para admirar."

(Yes, his specialty with Spanish is seduction, and his Latin is... not even flirty.)

"Oh, mhms, mhms!" Aequi mumbles, then hurriedly swallows. "Just marvelous it is, marvelous! 'Tis always nice to meet another that realizes the only way to see what's coming is to turn around and walk back the other way. I look forward, or I guess backwards to"-cough, cough, and he pounds on his own chest- "ooh, need to remember to breathe while eating." Aequi beams for a moment. "This is quite good - I think the skewer is cedar which adds a nice flavor to the roast." Upon taking in Rhodri's companion he childishly hides the leg behind his back and pulls out a handkerchief to wipe the grease from his hand. As he gives a little flourish and bow, he tries to surreptitiously (but obviously) wipe the grease from his face as he bends.

"Ah, sodale, there is beauty, then there's grace. It makes thoughts vanish without a trace. Who needs a fortune told in trance, when fortunate are we in our glance?" Aequi gives a grin, "Aequi Mercator, former and current student of Lamentus. By your armor I think he's mentioned your acquaintance, and here this even may I - just briefly so deprive not will I Rhodri - make my own." He turns his eyes back to Rhodri. "I just took a really long time to say yes, didn't I?"

Sinmore cocks her head at his words and seems confused by something, perhaps if he was referring to her in some of the flattery. "Tytalus? That's strange...I thought I saw you and your Parens from Flambeau...he beat my Pater in a wizard's melee. Perhaps I'm confused though. It is good to meet you sodale." she concludes, giving her flaming red hair a slight flip at the end.

A wooden shutter opens in the fortune teller's wagon, and rough voice croaks from within: "Nick! Come here now! And bring our guests with you!" The door swings open.

The Knight of the Golden Locks smiles at Aequi's introduction. "It is an honour to meet one of such distinguished Hermetic lineage," she states gracefully. "Shall we go within?"

Isabelle does not seem to be affected by Iapetus' charms, though he notices she lets her glance linger just a moment longer than she would have if she were not interested.

As the three Mercere, Sinmore and Iapetus become acquainted, their introductions are interrupted as the sound of some shattering pottery and a few harsh shouts emerge from somewhere nearby. ((Just to be clear-- those who are at the fortune teller's wagon do not hear anything of the commotion, but everyone else does.))