Sure, he's wealthy, but is he COVENANT wealthy?

Has anybody seen any rules or suggestions as to how a Wealthy Companion's income relates to a Covenant? That is, how much disposable income one has. If no numbers are available, how do you folks think this money relates to the amount of money a typical Spring Covenant takes in?

The 4th Ed Mythic Seas trading rules seem to make a case for a wealthy merchant being able to make similar money to a covenant, assuming normal rolls. Does anybody have any feeling about the money rate between the two games? 5th says 1 Mythic Pound is they typical income for a peasant, while 4th says 2 Pounds feeds a peasant family for a year....sounds kinda close assuming 2 breadwinners per family.

Thanks for the help!

Since the wealth of a Wealthy character depends on his social class, generic rules for this would be rather pointless.

I think that most Wealthy characters would not really even matter if you use Covenants rules for the income/expenditure of you covenant. Of course a noble or merchant might have enough personal income to compare to that of a covenant, but there are no general rules for it.

You can gain some insight by looking at the examples in Sources of Income section (pages 58-63) in Covenants.

[quote="angafea"]
Has anybody seen any rules or suggestions as to how a Wealthy Companion's income relates to a Covenant? That is, how much disposable income one has. If no numbers are available, how do you folks think this money relates to the amount of money a typical Spring Covenant takes in?

[quote]

"Wealthy" no longer menas you have X amount of money, it means you are well off and have leisure time compared to other people in your social class. So, you can be a Poor pope or a Wealthy one, a Poor king or a welathy one, and so on.

The 4th Ed Mythic Seas trading rules seem to make a case for a
wealthy merchant being able to make similar money to a covenant,
assuming normal rolls. Does anybody have any feeling about the
money rate between the two games?

I think in November you may see something a bit flasher than the Mythic Seas rules in "City and Guild".

Well, see, Mr. Ferguson, you just went a made a sale... :smiley:

I like the idea of Wealthy having a simple rule mechanic, but we're progressed to a point in our saga where a couple of different people want to try to "grow" the Covenant, one of which is a "Wealthy" merchant. Anybody have any suggestions on how, in the meantime, I convert PC "wealth" into Covenant Mythic Pounds?

Sure. Take the covenant expense rules from Covenants and use them to create the finances for a "covenant" consisting only of the wealthy PC and his servants and retainers. Per the wealthy virtue, you can assume that his income is sufficient to cover those expenses with a little left over.

I did this for a single knight once (rating him at 5 pts of inhabitants) and found that it took about about 25 L to support him along with his wife, a couple of men at arms, and a handful of horses.

I really hope you like it. C&G was the hardest thing to write, because I think several of the authors, knowing how MS had been recieved, went in with the idea that this time, we wouldn't chicken out on the hard stuff. There are ways of writing that let you avoid committing yourself on difficult issues, and in MS, these had been used a fair bit, which caused the book to promise more than it delivered. In C&G, we were really a lot braver than that, and now, in hindsight, particularly after another version of the Crossbows thread on the Berklist, I worry that people won't like the work because we really did say "We think X. And Y. And Z." and some people are going to say "Z? You think Z? What's wrong with you that you think Z!" :slight_smile:

Until then, though, you need to tell me what -class- of wealthy companions you have. Now, you say a "wealthy merchant". OK, it depends what type of guy you mean, like, say a wealthy street peddlar or a wealthy merchant prince, but say he has a ship or two, and a warehouse or two, and he's about as rich as a minor nobleman? I'd make him a Typical income source from Covenants. If you need to waggle him around to a greater or lesser source of funds, then just make his cargo more or less sumptuous, like silk or grain. The scale you are looking for is on page 62 of Covenants under Trade. Just let the improvement of his business improve the covenant's business instead, see?

Improvement, in Covenants, is on page 57.

Ah ha, very interesting. Thanks!

So this is a Wealthy Mercenary Captain who has a single ship used to trade with the English and raid with the French.

Does that still sound like "typical"?

Sounds closer to a Lesser source to me, but that's just me. And of course those are just rough categories, I would probably place it somewhere between Lesser and Typical income.