Table talk (Bibracte)

After reading the spell description and the Guideline description (both of which use the word "place"), I'm inclined to say no, that it has to be an arcane connection to a specific place. But it's not a strong preference, as I can easily see that they used "place" instead of the more awkward "location" or "anywhere or anyone who", which is that it can be an ac to any person (so, as long as you have an ac, you can Leap to their side, whether they gave you an ac or not), or to anything (I could make a piece of furniture, keep a piece of wood, have the furniture delivered to the covenant, and assuming I can penetrate the Aegis, I have an easy in).

So, I'm leaning toward no. But I went ahead and posted on the forums to see if they can come up with a more coherent argument one way or the other besides "it doesn't feel right, but...".

I don't want it to rear it's ugly head, I just wanted to see if it was decided. I'm fine with saying we can't.

But can we:

Have someone carry an AC to a place and then tp to it and/or scry on the AC? (this doesn't help Alexei right now of course)

Ditto

If you have an AC to over yonder, you wouldn't need someone to carry it there. If you need someone to go over yonder, fetch an AC, and bring it back, that's something entirely different.

Let's say you're in a prison and have no ACs. You manage to somehow sneak a small rock onto a jailer and they walk away with it. The jailer has an AC of the room you're in, can you TP to the AC?

No, and that's a bit different than what's going on here. That would suggest that an the room where you acquired the rock is also an AC to the rock. The only example of item A and item B being ACs to each other is the talisman, and I'm fine with that, but everything else, no.

I'd say no, because the rock you snuck onto the guard is an arcane connection to the cell you're in.

If you somehow managed to filch something from the guard, say a coin or something that is an ac to the guard (if even just for a few hours), can you LotH to the guard?

OK, works for me. Inconvenient, but definitely part of the mysteries and style of magic.

Agree.
And sorry for being responsible to the "teleport to person" thing in the first place.

Note that there are ways around this. For exemple, take an AC to a grog, and open an intangible tunnel to him to watch him. When he gets at a place, he grabs an AC, and you use an AC range Leap to bring him back to you, with the AC you can now use to teleport to the place.
But between the high-level of the first spell and the needed requisites, this should seldom come into play.

No!!!! You teleport to a place through an AC, you don't teleport to an AC.

Similarly, you scry through an AC, not to an AC.

If allowing teleport to persons: Yes.
If not, no.

You weren't responsible, and it was bound to come up. I couldn't figure out what was right or wrong about it.
Richard Love wrote a pretty sound argument, IMO: Leap of the Homecoming destination
So you can ReCo to a person.

I would say no to teleporting to a person to whom you had an AC with Leap. I am hard pressed by RAW to say that you could not invent a spell that did that just because the way that AC is written and other spells that work on AC.

The use of Intangible Tunnel to TP a grog back would not work as written because IT needs touch range only spells.

To TP someone with magic resistance, you must overcome it for the spell to work. It could be that TP to a person could work the same. But that goes against the AC description.

Enough rambling for now.

You misunderstood me.

The tunnel was just to watch the grog through InIm when you feel like it, ensure he's arrived at the destination, and then, teleport him through a ReCo at Arcane range (lvl 35 + 4mag => lvl 55? Bad ritual, bad). The ReCo doesn't work though the tunnel :wink:

Of course, it's more efficient to teleport him hrough the tunnel through a Touch range ReCo spell (that's what? Lvl 40?).

Hope I'm clearer this time

It's a lot more efficient to have an arcane connection to grog, and once you know he's where you want him to have gone, LotH to him via the arcane connection rather than having him teleport back to you. Then, if you need him to come back with you, simply have have a Group LotH (R: Touch, T: Group), which is Level 50 and doesn't need a ritual.

I was speaking in case we can only teleport to places, showing how there are ways around this for powerful magi. If you can teleport to grog, there's no need for all this

I think it's been decided that you can.

Which, the way RL laid it out, makes pretty good sense.

Work has exploded on me, a long story I'm not at liberty to disclose. It's why I haven't been posting a lot this week, and will likely continue through July 4th. I'll hit some posts here and there, when I can.

No worries, take care sir and enjoy the holiday.

Good luck, JL, take care of yourself first.
Sounds like you're a secret agent :laughing: Hope that secret mission don't get you killed :wink:

Yeah, yeah, I know :laughing:
But that was before :wink:
Hope everything's clear, now

It's just a bit of a potential mess that I'm working through. It's not my mess, of course. :smiley:

In any event, a couple of stories seem to be stalled, but I can't really do anything to move them based on the direction I left things or the player left things.

Alexei's:indicated he's going back to the covenant to talk to whomever is best at Auram, that doesn't involve the SG.
Viscaria's: I posted about her dreams turning into waking dreams, but no response.

The other stories are waiting for me to push them forward.

I need to post Abagail at 5 years and update Korvin on OP. I also need to discuss an idea for bringing the Gifted Mercere more together. All on my short list.

If Alexei wants to talk to Renaud about the local legends we can do that in the 1000 faces thread. Let me know.

Alexei would like to do both, who is best at Auram though?

I'll make a post shortly in 1000 pieces.