Table talk (Bibracte)

Just realized something -- I need to amend Stultus' entrance a bit. The 'large and hairy man' who came in with him was intended to be Rahere in human form... except he can't use that power within the Aegis unless and until Stultus is given a casting token. So it was one of the covenant's servants who brought Rumpelstiltskin in, and Rahere is in his normal form, sitting under the table and stuffing his face with an apple.

We didn't RP it out, but I would imagine that if Mons Electi invited Stultus (et al.) to stay for a few days, we would have included casting tokens with those invitations. Anybody else agree?

Yet another question for the troupe. (I didn't wind up going to NY, so I have an unexpectedly free weekend -- can you tell? :smiley:)

Fiona and Tranquillina have both used a Guile roll to "keep their face straight", and not let their true feelings show. Would "Clear Thinker" apply to rolls to see through that?

On one hand, the description of the virtue seems to imply it. "+3 to all rolls to resist lies, confusion, befuddlement, and subterfuge." If you're using Guile to hide your true feelings, you're attempting to deceive me, and so a roll to see through that would be a roll to resist. On the other hand, the name of the virtue seems to imply the opposite, because seeing through Guile used in that fashion has very little to do with thinking clearly -- it's more a matter of reading body language and picking up on subtle cues.

What do people think?

Hmm. Luckily these dice rolls between PCs aren't binding anyway :slight_smile: but.... I'd lean towards allowing the Clear Thinker bonus. The description is pretty broad - pretty much any kind of deceit (and then a bit). Maybe a rationale for allowing it in Tranquillina's case (what, are you listening to me from all the way over there?!) is that you could reason to yourself, why would she bring it up if she truly doesn't care about the subject? Fiona's reactionary straight faces are a little tougher, but maybe the logic there is hmm, most people would react a little bit, but she's not reacting in the slightest - I wonder if.... (And one could imagine a very high Guile roll as being like, not just hiding an emotion, but convincingly adopting a false emotion too, to fool the clear thinker....)

PS I never realized that you can do a Per + Folk Ken roll to add to your Guile rolls! I'll do some here for Gerulf and Stultus in this conversation: Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + stress dice 2 and 3 = nope and nope. Lehm :unamused:

I know. I didn't do a roll in either case. In Fiona's case, it was because Stultus' response would have been the same either way, and in Tranquillina's case he doesn't need to roll. He knows that's a loaded question, no matter what her face shows. :slight_smile:

Probably. :slight_smile: He is mostly focused on talking to Alexei and Fiona at the same time without making either one feel slighted, but paying attention without seeming to is one of the things he's good at. So he's probably listening with half an ear to most of the conversation around the table. Plus, he's more aware of Tranquillina than the other magi, because of the shared background.

I'm thinking yes.

I believe that the bonus would apply to the Folk Ken (I think) roll to discern whatever Fiona and/or Tranquillina are trying to hide through their emotional subterfuge.

Fiona's "poker face" shtick is a direct result of her Secretive Flaw...she doesn't like to show any signs of what she's thinking or how she feels about something. I tend to make myself re-examine a lot of what she does and (especially) says to ask myself if she would really say that or do that. A lot of times I find myself not posting what I had originally written. For example, when Tranquillina said that Fiona was turning heads as usual, I almost had Fiona saying something like "Have to stay one step ahead" with a quick, meaningful glance at Sheelagh, but decided not to because (in my opinion) that would run counter to her Secretive-ness. Might be overdoing it, but don't think so.

If you guys can keep things going for a bit for me, I'd appreciate it.

You can also map out what you need to do for 1227, if you haven't and also 1228 and 1229. Keep in mind that some stories may impact study/lab totals. If you have a preference for timing your story, you can list it (although I'm not going to be beholden to that).
I hope to be uncovered by the weekend, almost finished (we had a storage array failure at work on top of some other stuff). I've had to reconstruct quite a bit of stuff but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My backups, thankfully, were rock solid, except for the virtual machines. :-/

Storage array failure?
twitch
My sympathies, you poor bastard. :slight_smile: I've been there. Was NOT fun.

Alexei has two open seasons on Mage planner because he does not have Princeps duty. Perhaps you could read the penetration summa in those times. You also need to pick something else for 1227.4 as Fiona has dibs on the Stag and Hound.

I've moved stuff around for the Redcap travel season for Korvin and Abagail to match what you proposed 1228.3.

Speaking of duties, who are the current Imperator and Diocetes, and their deputies? Stultus needs to speak to both. (( I seem to remember Alexei being Imperator, but I am not sure.))

Aedilis (logistical, magical): Korvin*(deputy?)
Diocetes (logistical, mundane): Tranquillina (Alexei as deputy)
Imperator (martial, mundane): Alexei (Jacques as deputy?)
Interpres (diplomatic, magical): Fiona (Tranquillina as deputy)
Princeps: Korvin (deputy?)
Scutatius (martial, magical): Isen
Vilicus (diplomatic, mundane): Tranquillina (Fiona as deputy)
*Temp

It hides in the wiki on Obsidian Portal.

I saw that, but wasn't sure how recently it's been updated.
EDIT: I updated it.

Hang in there Jonathan! :frowning:

I think the whole officer list should be reconsidered once we get our three new members. Put em to work.... :smiling_imp:

You know, it's SUCH a shame Stultus wouldn't want to fool the Frosty Breath spell in this case, even though he has the arts for it. Otherwise, we could have had something like this...

(Love that book, I really do. :slight_smile:)

Or we might want to see any reaction to telling someone that they will be under a "truth Spell"

Is The Fixer ever coming back...? :cry:

Should not be possible within current Hermatic magic. The essential nature can not change. Even though it looks like a man it is a sheep. It is fine for the story but I do not think it is possible.

Sorry, jebrick, but that's incorrect. Hermetic magic cannot change something's essential nature permanently. You can turn a man into a sheep, and his body would be affected by Animal spells -- that's pretty explicitly stated in the Animal section. The spell that changes him just has to be active the entire time he's changed.

EDIT: Now if it was an effect that affected the sheep's mind rather than controlling the body, then you're correct on that bit. Changing the sheep into a man (with The Beast Remade or some such) would not break the effect, since the sheep's mind was still that of a sheep and thus still affected by Animal. You'd need a CrMe or MuMe for that.

Don't be afraid to just make shit up. We're just having fun here! :smiley:

We're serving Snickers?! Cool. You're not yourself without one....