Table Talk - Development

What if you have an apprentice one day? A to pass your secrets on to.
And spells that you know and we don't are always useful :slight_smile:
But scribing just about anything will give you the few exposure xp you need. How about starting up a Correspondence?

And shame on you for being such a munchkin that you neglected your Scribe ability :neutral_face:

I didn't munchkin. I came up with the character concept and he studied things that interested him. He's a very intelligent person who is cognitively lazy and frequently oblivious, and that sort of person has a tendency to only stick with what they're good at. I know because I am also a very intelligent person who is cognitively lazy :slight_smile:

But you know how to write :wink:

No, I know how to talk, and I type fast. With a pen, I make chicken scratches :slight_smile:

One might argue that proficiency in typing and internet communication is the modern equivalent to formal writing :slight_smile: . But your chicken scratch comment agrees with my own theory on Ars Magica scribing. Every magus knows how to chicken-scratch well enough to create raw Lab Texts for all their work, and can chicken-scratch really nicely enough to write them out.
Which now makes me think; it seems plausible to put your exposure xp from lab work into Scribe, representing your efforts to keep your lab texts legible.
Anyway. If you can read, you can write. I withdrew the optional rules for "Well Scribed" etceteras (I think they should be bonuses above & beyond, but that adds more rules and complications, so it is easier to just forgo those options and go with core RAW). If the troupe agrees, maybe we can work out some rule where you can make a quick chicken scratch copy of a book and have it recopied later?

That's an interesting idea. So you can always preserve information, but the services of a skilled scribe can be applied at any time to re-establish the original quality? I like it.

This is what I am thinking...
Take into account the standard -3 penalty for not having the specific ability. We will apply that as a penalty to quality until recopies (stat it as -3 Shorthand). Copy speed is 6 + Scribe levels per season. Chicken scratching it would be 6 + (penalty of -3), or 3 levels per season (9 if copying quickly). That would cover the level of just about any text on Abilities. It limits Arts, but you can choose a high quality Root text and still max out.
For tractate, take away the option to copy quickly.
For Lab Texts,
... lemmy think...
how about you can copy 60 levels that are legible to you only (and those who have deciphered your shorthand)? Someone else can write them out properly at a later time. After learning your shorthand. Or you can do it yourself, already knowing your shorthand. This essentially means it takes you twice as long to properly copy out these spells, but the second part can be pawned off on someone else or can be skipped if you are selfish :mrgreen:

There isn't a penalty for using an ability you don't have. If it's asterisked on page 63 of the MRB, it can't be used, otherwise it can be used, treating the score as 0. The penalty is in the event of a botch is 3 extra botch dice, so at least 4 botch dice.

Quiet in the peanut gallery!
(looks up the rules...)
I suppose that is correct.
How about this instead. No penalty, just roll to see if you have to check for a botch.
Eh?

If you want something simple, you could have Quality = half your normal quality, and Levels copied = 1,5 times your normal volume.

So, back from provence, medieval village, botomless lake, monastery, twas beautiful. Can maybe post a few pics should people be interested.

!!!! Yes please!

Please do post them :smiley:

So I have an idea regarding Solomon’s lab servant and wanted to get some feedback from you guys. As I read through my shiny new Grogs book, I became enamored with the “Bound to Role” flaw. So, my concept is this:

A young (17ish years old) girl who was apprenticed to one of the former magus’ was present in the covenant, and specifically the tower that Solomon has taken for his quarters, at the time of the attack on the covenant. Her master was away, or perhaps just in another part of the covenant, when the attack occurred and she feared for her life. She attempted a powerful Rego spell in an attempt to close off the tower from the attacker(s) but the spell was much too powerful for her. The resultant botch and accompanying Wizard’s Twilight resulted in her Gift being stripped from her (Failed Apprentice) and the Rego spell essentially backfiring, causing her to be permanently bound to the tower (Bound to Tower flaw).

I’m also thinking that the massive expenditure of magic might have created some sort of supernatural warping effect on the lab, something akin to the “Preserved” virtue, but maybe with a Rego feel. That said, I don’t want to come across as trying to be a munchkin.

I can totally dig the idea of someone bound to the tower like that :smiling_imp:
Take it a step further, they are physically bound to the tower. That is, they physically manifest by rising up out of the substance and materials of their surroundings (like everything was made of liquid reality, T-2 style). Istead of Preserved, take Sentient and Chaotic.

Just an idea :smiley:

Because she doesn't know that spell, and is not about to ask Vulcanus for help :wink:

IIRC he offered to cast it for anyone who wanted it during the very first meeting.

Yeah, Solomon totally would, but he doesn't have the vis to pay for it...

Carmen couldn't initially afford it either, and when she can she wouldn't want to.
Which reminds me, we all get vis payouts at the end of every year. Three pawns for just being a Master, another three if you are an Officer, three more for performing extra service or duty, and Carmen gets three more for being Pontifex (which she reinvests in the covenant)

Vocis's three family grogs, including his scribe daughter, are now posted to the wiki. I'll write up the librarian...later.

Yes, please.