Table Talk - Development

Submitted for your approval...

Spells from the ArM3 Wizard's Grimoire that I coverted into fifth edition.

CrAu35 The Fulgurours Orb
R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Group
[tab][/tab]This spell creates a fist-sized crackling ball of lightning in the caster's hand, which is then hurled at the target area to explode in a web of lightning bolts accompanied by a deafaning thunderclap. The web affects an area roughly five-paces in diameter, and inflicts +20 damage to those caught within. Additionally, they must make a Stamina stress roll of 12+ or become deafened for a number of rounds equal to the amount they failed the roll by. If botched, they are deaf for a month.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +5 Extremly Unnatural, +1 additional effect, -2 lessened damage)

ReAu25 Call Aeolus' Servants
R: Voice, D: Conc, T: Ind
Requisites: Creo
Potent Spell: Bag +3
[tab][/tab]This spell conjures a stiff wind that blows into the sails of a ship upon which the caster is aboard. The speed and direction of the wind is under the caster's control, requiring a Concentration roll of 9+ to make changes in course and speed.
This spell is an example of a Potent Spell, so the spell as invented from this text requires the use of a small bag or pouch of some sort that is opened to "release the servant winds". This text thus also teaches the Form & Effect bonus of "Bag/Pouch: +3 conjure/control wind".
(Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Conc, +1 Rego, +1 unnatural, +1 variable strength

ReAu25 The Traveling Thisledown
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
Requisites: Creo, Muto
[tab][/tab]This spell affects the air surrounding the caster to make them naturally boyant, granting them control over the air to provide breezes that can propel them at speeds up to 20 miles per hour.If left unattended, the spell provides winds of whatever speed and direction last called for. Changes in the wind require a concentration roll of 6+. Speed can be adusted up or down by 5mph per round. Direction can be altered by (15 x Finesse) degrees in a single round.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Requisite)

MuCo35 Blessing of Antaeus' Fortitude
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
Requisites: Terram
[tab][/tab]While their weight rests upon the earth (buildings qualify; but standing on ice, treading water, hovering in the air, or riding upon a ship does not), the caster acquires the fortitude of a megalith. This includes a +15 bonus to soak, and the ability to parry or deflect blows from weapons with bare hands (treat this as a +6 Defense bonus). Futhermore, the caster recieves a +6 bonus to rolls resisting being knocked down or lifted. If lifted off the ground so that your weight no longer rests upon it, the spell is suppressed but not broken, and resumes once you are grounded again. While under the effect of this spell, the caster suffers a -2 penalty to all rolls that depend upon tactile senses.
(Base 25, +2 Sun, requisites required for full effect)

CrIg35 Breath of Vulcan
R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Ind
Requisites: Auram, Terram
[tab][/tab]This spell creates a cloud of red-hot ash, much like that from a vocanic eruption. The cloud initially occupies and area seven paces in diameter and does +20 from heat and inhalation of noxious fumes (about half from each). Each round after the first, the cloud spreads another three paces in diameter, but damage drops by five. The cloud typically dissipates after a few rounds, but a stiff wind can clear it up faster.
(Base 15, +2 Voice, +1 Requisites, +1 extended effect)

CrIg50 The Last Flight of the Phoenix
R: Per, D: Mom, T: Ind
Potent Spell: A Feather of a Phoenix +5
[tab][/tab]This spell is otherwise the same as the one described on page 37 of HoH: Societas. This version, however, is a Potent spell, and thus casting the spell invented from this lab text requires the use of a Phoenix Feather. This text also teaches the Form & Effect bonus of "Phoenic Feather: +5 create &/or control fire".
(as spell)

ReVi35 Rune of Protection
R: Touch, D: Special, T: Ind
Requisites: Muto
[tab][/tab]With this Ritual spell, the caster creates a magical rune marked upon the target or a token item they must continuously wear. After which, the caster may cast other spells (Touch range or greater) upon the rune, which are sustained and carried by the rune for as long as it remains unmared and/or the rune token remains intact and is constantly worn. These may be spells of Ring, Sun, or Diameter only. The Target of the second spell must be Individual or Circle (the circle is redefined to be the subject marked by the rune or wearing the rune token). The rune may contain and maintain a number of spell levels up to equal of this spell.
[tab][/tab]The spell takes it's name from the fact that it is intended to be used in conjunction with wards and protective spells. But it can be twisted for other uses. This spell was invented by Aspoesa Ex-Miscellanea, a byproduct of her research efforts involving rune magic.
(Base Effect, +1 Touch, +1 Requisite, ritual nature supports indefinite duration)

The assistant librarian (Nicasi the Silent) is posted to the wiki. I made him loosely on Cadfael. He started as a brother chaplain of a crusading order in Spain, then was captured by heretics/infernalists/Very Bad People[sup]TM[/sup] and tortured for several months. He eventually escaped, bearing horrible scars and lacking a tongue. He was retired from combat duty and focused on book learning, eventually returning to his native country of Andorra and joining the covenant as a librarian and scribe.

Ok, I’ll try do take some pictures with me tomorrow and post them :smiley:.

Great idea, but I like Marko's better, I suggest you go for it.

Note though, that, with Failed Apprentice, she can help in the lab much more than a mere servant especially as, being bound to the tower, there's not much she can do besides increasing her MT (a constant apprentice who can't even flee you and that you don't have to teach). You’ll maybe want to say that her gift was destroyed instead, and just taking Servant and Sentient. It's simpler that way, IMO.

Same thing with Arachné. Every time she spoke to him, she regretted it :frowning:

As I see it, beginning with IoL, and taking cues from Last Flight of the Phoenix
Base 5, +2 Voice, +4 unnatural, -3 lessened damage, +1 additional effect (deafening), +1 extra size = lvl 30
Also, the ease factor should probably be 9+, unless you want to add an extra magnitude.

Hum
 Seems ok, although, between Rego and Concentration duration, I’d probably drop the variable strength magnitude, for a final level 20.

As I see it, though, it works by changing the air around the caster and then moving it along. You don’t need to create breezes, you’re just moving around an air cushion.
That’s be a Muto (Rego) Auram spell.
Muto base 10 (wholly unnatural), -1 mag (you change only one property of air), +1 touch, +1 requisite, +2 Sun = lvl
 25. Same level, one less requisite.

The soak bonus is waaaay too high compared to normal MuCo, even given the requisite and few drawbacks, especially as you’ve got added advantages.

It begins as a MuCo(Te) Base 25, +2 Sun, +2 extra soak at least (let’s consider than the terram free requisite allows such a high soak bonus), for a lvl 45 spell.

Do you consider that the “need to touch the ground” and penalty to tactile senses compensates entirely for a +6 brawl defense and +6 against knocking/lifting? IMO, it doesn’t.

Hum
 Not really.

According to Hermetic Projects, volcanic ash is Creo Terram, so no need for Auram. They also don’t work like this. So I’d say:

CrIg(Te) Base 05, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter, +1 size, +1 Terram requisite = lvl 25
I’d change these parts accordingly: The ashes do +10 base heat damage. Due to toxic fumes, the target that stay under the spell’s influence for its entire duration must also to do a deprivation check, and roll 6+ on a stamina roll or take a medium wound (roughly adapted for HP p14).

You might wish to add another magnitude for the fancy effect, but IMO, that’s not necessary, since it is linked to the Terram requisite and balances out overall.

This is funky. Also, very powerful, since it allows easy creation of “magical items”.

By the raw, to maintain a lvl 35 spell for a year, you’d need a lvl 50 ritual!!!
Your ritual is, in short, “Maintaining the Demanding Spell” with Until duration (which would also be lvl 50), only slightly better.
=> I’d normally say “no” unless you’ve got the appropriate mystery. We can still write this of as a minor breakthrough, given the few differences, but you should know this

So, by the RAW, an Until duration Maintaining spell can keep a (lvl -15) spell going.
I’d say, if you want to keep this, make it ReVi General, keep the description, this can maintain a total number of spells up to (level -20).

I thought that Failed Apprentice covered someone whose Gift was destroyed. And she will be considered a grog, so she's not going to be gaining XP like crazy. But I can see the argument that her helping in the lab might be overpowered. I really wanted to Failed Apprentice for her to have access to the skills more than her helping in the lab.

Go for the failed apprentice :smiley:

As for the spells, they are deliberately quirky. They represent old-old spells, representing the fact that the dragon collects the stuff but has no urgent need to keep up to date on spells. They were all taken from the ArM3 Wizard's Grimoire, and I was trying to keep them as close as possible to their original descriptions. Arts required may be funky, they may be a magnitude more powerful or weaker than they should.
As for the Fortitude spell, maybe that should have Soak dropped down to +5 and Defense only +3.
For Rune of Protection, I went a little sideways because I thought the original was too limited. Maybe I should revert to that limitation: it only works on Ring Duration spells.

You can still assist in the lab with a destroyed Gift. If she's bound to the tower and literally has NOTHING else to do to keep herself occupied besides aiding in the laboratory, that's not necessarily overpowered, but dedicated lab assistants should definitely cost some build points.

I just realized. Vulc has a Personal Vis Source, and I just assumed it produced one pawn per season because the previous saga I played in had PVSes at 1/season. But the description says PVS should yield about 1/10 of the covenant's annual vis income, which for this saga would be 14 pawns per year. Can I apply that retroactively? I would deduct 2 pawns per year for all the time in which I had a Venditor on staff, and that will still leave me with enough vis that I can provide Laboratories of Bonisagus without people having to wait potentially years until we can afford them. It'll also let me pay Bernhard and Stephanos a vis wage on top of whatever they get from the covenant.

Per the house rules, PVS gives you 2 Form or 1 Technique vis per year during character creation. The HRs don't specify how it's handle after campaign start, but I've been assuming it works the same way.

Fair enough...what if I gave her a minor flaw that due to her experience she is afraid of being near magic or the lab when any sort of lab work going on? So she could be in there to tidy up or prep the lab, but when it comes time for lab work, she doesn't want to be anywhere near it.

Seems fine to me.

PVS is worth an annual 4 pawns of a Form or two of a Technique.

Isn't there a Flaw you could pick that states you have to pay a pawn of vis per season of use or something? I think there is, so I shall look it up...
I guess not. Restriction comes the closest, and carries a +2 upkeep.
What do you guys think? I am thinking of a Flaw that requires you to spend vis, feeding the magical servant so to speak.
Also, keep in mind that once Ability scores are set, it is very difficult to improve them. Even a Might as low as 5 will subtract 5 points from the quality of any source (that means any exposure or practice xp for time that goes by are null).

Or keep the background as it is, but don't give her the failed apprentice virtue.

So you'd do her as a magical being? I thought she was gonna be a normal human bound to her role.

And you're probably thinking of "Hunger for (form) magic, where you have to eat 1 pawn per season. It's in RoP: Magic, IIRC

Wooooork!!!

Please add this to the HR thread when you have time.

I was thinking the same thing, and yes, it's in RoP:M.

Hmm, yeah I was thinking of steering away from her being a magical being and just being a human with the "Bound to Role" flaw. At the end f the day she's going to be a grog, so I don't want her to be too special. An interesting bit character, but nothing more.

Vidal is a soldier born and bred. His father was a soldier, as was his father before him. So it was only natural that he would strap on the sword almost from the time he could walk.

If only he liked fighting. When he told his father that he didn't think the soldier's life was for him, his father quickly beat such nonsense out of his head. While Vidal is an adequate swordsman, he is much better at trying to avoid a fight (with a combination of Guile, Charm, and Intrigue).

Many years ago, he signed up with the Almogavars, winding up in the Vibria Company, Gold Griffin Division, and has worked his way up the ranks. While he hasn't exactly distinguished himself in the field of battle with his martial prowess, he has shown the ability (and willingness) to shoulder the burdens of leadership, becoming effectively a Corporal in the company. He fancies himself a future Captain of the Guard (if not a general somewhere), but is careful not to let his superiors know that.

[hr][/hr]
Characteristics: Int 0, Per 0, Pre +1, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +1
Size: 0
Age: 28 (28), Height: 5'8'', Weight: 156 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Mercenary Captain, Tough (Soak: +3), Ambitious, Optimistic
Combat:
Dodge: Init: -1, Attack --, Defense +5, Damage --
Fist: Init: -1, Attack +5, Defense +5, Damage +1
Kick: Init: -2, Attack +5, Defense +4, Damage +4
Sword, Short: Init: +0, Attack +7, Defense +5, Damage +6
Soak: +12
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Bargain 2, Brawl 4, Catalan 5, Etiquette 2, Carouse 3, Charm 2, Guile 5 (Getting out of fighting), Hunt 3, Intrigue 2, Leadership 4, Norman French 1, Ride 2, Single Weapon 3 (Short sword), Spanish 3, Survival 2
Equipment: Shield, Heater (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +3; Str: 0; Cost: Standard); Full Metal Scale Armor (Soak: 12) (Soak: 12; Protection: 7)
Encumbrance: 3 (4)

[hr][/hr]
Guy de Coutances is, or was, a minor noble from Normandy. Fair of face, graceful, and beautiful to behold, he quickly became a favorite of the women. Unfortunately, he adhered strictly to the tenets of Chivalry, and would not take any them to his bed, although he would often grace them with a blinding smile and charming words. This would prove to be his undoing, however. About two and a half years ago, while visiting one of his family's liege lords, the lady of the manor practically ripped her clothes off and threw herself at him in his chambers. When he rebuffed her advance, she fled and had him falsely accused of trying to rape her. Given Guy's reputation and popularity, the lord felt he could not have him killed on the spot. He did, however, strip him of his title and banished him from Normandy, with his life forfeit should he ever return.

Guy wasted no time in grabbing his belongings and his horse, and immediately struck out for...somewhere. He had heard of a company of mercenaries that he felt could use his talents without questioning why he was so far from home, and wound up in Barcelona, enlisting in the Gold Griffins, where he and Vidal quickly caught each other's eyes.

[hr][/hr]
Characteristics: Int 0, Per 0, Pre +1, Com 0, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +1, Qik +1
Size: 0
Age: 22 (22), Height: 5'10'', Weight: 165 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Covenfolk, Puissant Single Weapon, Venus' Blessing (Bonus: +3 Com and Pre with sexually compatible characters), Warrior (50/50), Ability Block (Logic), Dutybound, Overconfident
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +0, Attack --, Defense +5, Damage --
Lance (mounted): Init: +2, Attack +16, Defense +12, Damage +7
Sword, Short: Init: +1, Attack +12, Defense +10, Damage +7
Mace: Init: +1, Attack +12, Defense +9, Damage +10
Fist: Init: +0, Attack +5, Defense +5, Damage +2
Dagger: Init: +0, Attack +7, Defense +5, Damage +5
Kick: Init: -1, Attack +5, Defense +4, Damage +5
Soak: +8
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Area Lore: Coutances 1, Athletics 2, Awareness 3, Brawl 4, Catalan 3, Charm 2, Etiquette 3, Folk Ken 3, Guile 2, Intrigue 1, Leadership 1, Norman French 5, Ride 3, Single Weapon 5+2, Spanish 2
Equipment: Shield, Heater (Init: 0; Atk: 0; Dfn: +3; Str: 0; Cost: Standard); Horse; Full Metal Scale Armor (Soak: 8) (Soak: 8 ; Protection: 7)
Encumbrance: 2 (4)

[hr][/hr]
In the months since Guy joined the Gold Griffins, he and Vidal have become bosom bodies, joined at the hip. They dine together, bathe together, share a tent, and have even been known to go to the privy together. They will almost always go on missions together (either by Vidal assigning Guy to his detail, or both volunteering).

1). you have the basic lab, requiring no effort. There are rules for modified labs, but I suggest skipping that for now.
2). there is no mundane equipment list in Ars Magica. that stuff just sorta gets handwaved. it is part of the game.
3). if you develop past gauntlet, you earn a vis salary and can spend time in the lab making things. You can also buy magic stuff with vis (okay, so I recognize that gamers crave price lists :laughing: ). However, as a NooB, you may want to skip that option and go with a magus fresh from gauntlet. Get yer feet wet :wink:
4). Thereabouts

K, I'm gonna skip the lab and the post-gauntlet stuff. I'd rather earn it during play, which will help me to learn all the ins and outs of stuff.

In case anyone's interested, Vibria has a maidservant now. Next (someday) will be a shield grog.

Look great