Table Talk - Development

I think the goal is not legalizing outright scrying, just use of magical analysis.

If you plan to do that, you should not take it as an actual flaw (although you can still have it in your background and history): A flaw that's not a flaw is not a flaw. Silveroak planning to do this in-game is already a bit much IMO, and here, you're talking of "deleting" a flaw before game.

Possibilities:

• Take the flaw, and have 2 "twin" animals, one who becomes the familiar, the other a regular animal companion.
  • Take the flaw, and use the rules to "gain" a virtue to delete it, spending XP and seasons.

Like the name of her custom spells, especially "Irony"

If I may make some suggestions:

Her Perdo Vim sucks (Casting total Pe 05 + Vi 00 + Sta 1), meaning her might strippers and Break the Shield spells suck too, with a base penetration of 3 + die (meaning you can only affect the weakest creatures) and -2 + die (!!!)
Instead of "Break the Shield", useless AND which she may tire herself casting, may I suggest taking Invisible Sling of Vilano (CT 9)? Swap Penetration for Finesse, and put to use that Greatest Perception without tiring yourself. In fact, this is a spell I'd chose anyway, just due to your high Per.

Better yet: Forget the flight spell, which is your only reason for your Rego and Perdo scores. Change your Corpus 8 to Vim 7 and spend the rest between Corpus and Mentem. This'd give you a base ReVi CT of 16, much, much better for these might strippers and also improves your Veil of Invisibility CT (which is otherwise only 12 + die, meaning exertion is almost certain)
Like, try this (changes in bold):
Mu 5 15
Pe 8 36
Re 5 15
Co 2 3

Im 6 21
An 1 1
Me 3 6
Vim 7 28

@Fixer: Thanks for all the thought you poured into my character.

I thought a familiar would become a True friend story flaw toreplace magic animal companion, but I do admit that it is somewhat cheesy.

I know that the casting total for the PeVi spells is lousy yet, and I knew I had to pour some xp into raising those arts. But the idea of giving her a vilano fighting style is also very appealing (I had forgotten that finesse uses perception. I had actually looked up bows, but that turned out to be another edition).

I'll try reshuffling some virtues (stuff that improves her finesse), and maybe also some flaws to explain why she doesn't go the PeVi route. I'm sure I can take care of the familiar problem on the way.

The longer I think about Fixer's comment, the better I like it.

I'll probably turn her into a Herbam Vilano.
And she won't need the ability to fly then, because she'll have a magically created wooden armchair to fly around with (much safer than a broomstick)!

I like these ideas :slight_smile:
Where I differ from Fixer is that I think turning a Magic Animal Companion is an okay idea. They will still generate stories. That is what I plan to do with Silveroak (in fact, I already started with that). I actually play my Familiar that way (he has gotten me in trouble more than once, but I am the one playing him). So it could work.In asth ed (and prolly earlier) there was a negative bond quality or two that had similar effects ("Independant" and .At Odds").
I like the chair! It reminds me of Metron (from DC Comics, not the one in our game)

Ahhh, yes. I think I see now. The line is drawn (roughly) between "applying your existing senses something or somewhere else" - which targets the thing/place you are using them on; and "improving your existing senses" - which targets the sense you are improving.

Antoine, too: Int +4, Per -2, Pre 0, Com +2, Str +2, Sta +1, Dex +2, Qui -2 - and a non-combatant. That Strength comes from working the forge :smiley:

If you gotta fly, fly in style!

The difference with Silveroak is that it would happen before play.
So he'd swap a minor flaw for a minor virtue before the flaw had any chance at all to come into play, at no cost. Which is why I suggested, if he went this route, to use the existing rules to "remove" the flaw, just like any other character could have done, or to have twin ravens, odin-like.

As far as I understand, yes.
This is all the difference between a T: Vision vis detection spell (I see all the vis in range) and a T: Ind vis detection one (does this item have vis?)

Never said that, Fixer. I recall the conversation, too. Of course, I'd design the character differently now.

I've made progress on the companion character

I'd like him to have the magic air flaw, and Animal Ken, inoffesnive and alluring to animals and Summon Animals (from HoH:S Beastmaster), in other words, I want him to be an ungifted Beastmaster, aguy who is great with animals but not liked by people without a parma.

As for the Pralician, I'm torn between two versions, both using vilano herbam and a talisman that can store bolts as grain (this leave her vulnerable to bodiless beings like spirits, but that's what the team is for):

• "law" Pralician: keeps her anti-scrying motivation, takes harmless magic (Pe can't do permanent damage) to explain why she doesn't PeVi, must lower intelligence by 1 so I can drop improved characteristics and take Cautious with finesse, keeps the magic animal that is to become a true friend/familiar flaw.

• "family" Pralician: replaces anti-scrying motivation with a husband (beastmaster companion) and some gifted/ungifted children (dependents flaw), drops both inspirational and piercing gaze to get the True love virtue and Cautious with finesse. This build would not use a familiar (because being married and having a familiar is a bit like bigamy), but instead develop dual-use spells (for working moms, like animated wooden dolls), a higher Intellego to open the arts of apprentices with exotic talents and to look after her family, the attempt to get to 5 in all arts, and items to safeguard her family. This build also involves getting either deficient perdo or harmless magic to explain why she uses vilano spells.

I'm not qualified to offer much opinion here, but I will note that the saga currently has... two? three? characters with the True Love flaw (I can't recall if Lucas's wife is a True Love, or "just" a marriage :laughing:)

Because chef Marko Markoko
Spreads the LOVE wherever he goes
From the city of Chicago
Spreadin' out all accross the globe.

:mrgreen:

Bought his ingredients in Colorado, it seems!

Like a Chicago pizza chain

Looks like it's just Antoine. Lucas and Vocis have Close Family Ties instead.

Also, welcome to the new (old) players!

I'm with Fixer on this. The existing rules offer a clear mechanical way to address this without whitewashing a flaw before it ever come up.

Okay, I'll try to redesign her trying to use neither a familiar nor a family.
And back she scurries to the drawing board

Huh, shows what I know. I could have sworn Vocis had True Love.

Pralix - we do all have very different families. IIRC (which, as we've just shown, is not a given :blush: ), Vocis has a mundane wife and several (3?) more-or-less grown up children, some of whom serve as grogs. Lucas has an ungifted redcap wife and some (2?) young (?) children, ungifted. While my Antoine is a fresh-faced youth with a young mundane fiancée. I imagine they'll wed in the next year or two, when Antoine achieves Journeyman status.

So can I take her as a family person or not?

I can't speak for Asilano, but I certainly wasn't objecting to you making a family person. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

No, just a wife, four children, and ten grandchildren (so far). His oldest granddaughter is 15 in 1235, so he'll probably be a great-grandfather in a couple years. None of them are Gifted, though.

processing and progressing.