Table Talk - Development

Options:

• Animal Ken with a specialty in Serpents
  • Animal Ken limited to serpents, but which also works as the Leadership skill for them (Plus: It bypasses MR. Minus: It's not magical mind-control)
  • Bee King virtue, but applying to serpents rather than bees.

I think the third choice is probably what you're after.

I'm not sure if you're almost done or totally done or haven't started, but Gunnvara is basically otherwise done, and I could make the ghost in a day or two... so if you have too much on your plate or whatever don't feel bad if you want to just have me make her.

I like to do this, but it'll take time, so if you want to, please do, I don't have any problem with that :smiley:

Btw, marko, if you want me to play some tremere NPCs on vibria story, so long as it's minor (like a council or else), please do. I love new tremere.

Interesting question: Can magi with Exotic Casting still use normal lab texts to invent their spells, or do they have to use lab texts of the same "flavour" of Exotic magic?

Guiverna has Exotic Casting, and the words used to cast her spells are in Parseltongue rather than Latin or Greek. Can she use the library's texts?

As long as she has latin or greek she should be able to read and learn from books in those languages.

What I meant was (exemplia gratia), if she were to borrow the covenant's laboratory text for Gentle Caress of the Purified Body, which is written in Latin and is written for a spell that is cast in Latin, can she use that text to invent a version of the spell that she would then cast in Parseltongue?

My vote/assumption is that this does not matter-those who study spells in greek and those who study in Latin do not have any sort of virtue towards one another similar to exotic casting, and a mage can study in both without penalty, so it would seem to me that someone with exotic casting should be able to use lab notes from spell creation normally, otherwise it should have said something to the contrary in the text.

This is accurate. The language of the text matters not as long as you can read it. You can cast the spell with or without words as it is anyway.

That's what I kinda thought, but I could almost see a case for the other way.

Now to start working on her spell list.

I'm updating Lucas through 1236 and I wanted to ask a question. What was the decision on vis salaries for journeymen? I don't want to stir the pot or make any trouble. I just want to know if I should add any vis to Lucas's character sheet and if so how much and what kind.

We never made a decision. Rather, we have devised a metagame plan to elevate Journeymen to Master so as to fill all of our empty officer positions. In game, the plan was recently brought up in the private council between Carmen and the remaining Masters during the "Covenant of Dopplegangers" thread. Said discussion was disrupted by shenannigans.

Got it. Thanks for the update.

As far as I know, yes.

Yeah, Arachné was very impressed by the next generation of journeymen, so given our needs, she pushed for it even previously in a private conversation with carmen :smiley:

Anyway, at worst, she'd be for them getting a share of Sa dragonera vis production.

I was looking over Lucas's stats and realize that I made a nasty error in his initial creation. Well, maybe not 'nasty,' but an error nonetheless. Believe it or not, Lucas was the first real character I ever made using ARM5 rules. Oh, I'd toyed around with the rules before. But I'd never played in a real game before this one, and had never made up a full character. As a result, I did a lot of things that the older, wiser me would have advised the younger, more foolish me against. But one of those mistakes was not just a bad decision, it was a rule-breaker.

Not realizing just how important Magical Theory is as a skill, I managed to make a character with only a 3 MT, and that ten years out of gauntlet. Rookie mistake, I know, and one I was learning to live with. But I realized today that not only was it a rookie mistake, but it made one of Lucas's important actions impossible. I'm speaking, of course, of his longevity ritual. He had his LR when he was 35. That means that it cost him 7 vis. But with a 3 MT, he could only spend 6 vis in one season. Yikes!

At the time I made Lucas up, I wasn't aware of the vis limit, or I forgot, or something. Clearly just about any magus design should have at least a 4 MT by age 35 so that a LR is possible. (More, I know. But 4 at a bare minimum.) Chalk this mistake up to me being a rank newbie who'd never made up a character before.

What I wanted to ask was if I can shift 20 points from other abilities to make it so that Lucas had an MT 4 by the time he turned 35 so that the LR is legit. I thought dropping Stealth and Profession: Librarian down a point each would work. Or I could drop one of those skills and get rid of Chirurgery and Medicine (which he's never used and could easily be written out).

Like I said, I was pretty much resolved to dealing with my stupid error by having Lucas study a lot. But now that I see a genuine rules error, I feel like I ought to correct it.

What are your thoughts?

Did (or could have) Lucas have had his LR made by someone else, with his help? That way, you avoid the "double Lucas's MT in Vis" problem, maybe get a better LR, and with him spending a season assisting in the lab, that season is still gone.

Or have him cram on his magic theory when you realize you want to make a LR.
Actually low MT is probably the reason you don't have a lot of magi being professionals at LR. Consider that if your client has strong faerie blood they probably won't want a ritual until they are 50, which requires MT of 5 or more.

But that's not the way I wrote up his background. The way I wrote it up is that he did his own ritual. It's just that Marko and I (and Fixer, and anyone else that looked over the character) didn't notice the error. Had it been noted, I would have corrected it in my character build.

One way or another, I'm going to have to rewrite Lucas's history. I'd rather make the correction that I would have made if I'd caught the error back when I was designing the character than make a correction that goes more against the history I've written. If I make the correction to MT that I would have made, basically his history remains unchanged, He just has a couple of skills that he's not quite as good at (though no skill need disappear completely). If I make one of the changes you suggest, it actually changes his history in a greater way by saying that what he did (i.e., do his own LR) is not actually what he did.

But ultimately, I must defer to what the troupe says.

Personaly I think it would be much simpler to owe some xp or take them off a skill you dont use much yet

That would be my thought, too...or a combination of both. You're looking at 5 (what you should have had) vs 3 (what you have now), which is a difference of 45 xp...which is rather a few stories. So...maybe trim some off of skills you haven't used (or used the full level of) yet, and owe the rest?

Actually, he only needs a MT 4. He was 35 when he got the LR, which is 7 vis. (4*2=8>7) That's only 20 xp, which is easily found by shaving points from unused skills. (Though I'd be happy to up it to 5. :slight_smile: )