Table Talk - Development

You're leaving an important bit from your quote, which changes the meaning from "these are the stats of ordinary knives" to "everyone has knives".
"Any sharp knife of 6 inches or lesser length. Knives are even more common than daggers; they are everyday tools."

Ars Magica's emphasis isn't on combat, thus the simplified stats. One could make similar arguments for all kind of weapons.
Are your knives under 6 inches of length? Then they use these stats, unless of greater quality.

=> If you really want better knives, I'd suggest taking Superior throwing knives, giving +1 to attack for 2qp each. This means that each pawn of vis gives you 2 such knives.

Eh, that would be an improvement. How, as a companion, do I acquire q.p.v. equivalents?

It's easy and cheap!

Before game, 1XP = 1qp, so if you want, say, 5 such knives, it only costs 10xp.

I might consider that. It'd mean adjusting my starting scores, but it could be worth it. He does have a number of 1s that could be dropped.

So, when Guiverna invented her poison saliva spell in Summer of 1235, she experimented. And she experimented HardCore (+3 Exceptional Risk), since otherwise was 7 points shy of being able to invent it in one season. She pulled it off. And then came the Extraordinary Results roll. Die roll of 6 + Exceptional Risk 3 = 9: Special or Story Event: "Either some effect not covered elsewhere occurs, or, at the storyguide’s option, an event unfolds as a result of your work which involves the entire covenant." This would (probably) have been after she came to Bellaquin.

Any ideas?

Also, she has invented (from scratch) two MuCo spells in the same season. One is Baring the Serpent's Fangs, which changes her teeth (and probably her jaw, somewhat) into sharp fangs. Base 2 to change the target and give them a minor ability (in this case, the fangs which do +1 damage), +1 Diameter, +1 Part. The other is Donning the Serpent's Scales, which is effectively a watered-down version of Gift of the Bear's Fortitude, in that it grant's +1 to Soak. Base 5, +1 Diameter. This spell changes her skin into snake-like scales for the duration of the spell. I know any modifiers to the lab total have to apply to all spells invented in that season. Would both of these qualify for her Potent Magic: Snakes?

How about instead of inventing a spell you invent a spell spirit instead?

The covenant gets overun by serpents?
She inadvertantly brings the attention of a Titan (Seth?) on the covenant?
She gets instead a Mu(Re)Aq(Co) spell that changes her blood to poison?

Based on the 3 sentences here, IMHO, I'd say yes.

That, too :smiley:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to throw out there that Solomon is going to be looking for an apprentice (assuming he successfully survives the City of Brass expedition), probably sometime in 1238 or 1239 (once he gets all of his arts up to 5). So, if anyone is interested in playing a Guernicus apprentice, let me know.

Also, it's worth pointing out the Solomon's InVi lab total is pretty ridiculous (67 currently and likely to increase due to the City of Brass mission) so this is an opportunity to play an apprentice with supernatural abilities since Solomon should be able to preserve them.

That sounds like fun! Mark me down as interested.

I would be interested as well...

Well, as long as we are putting it out there, Carmen is able to start training an apprentice and is looking to start doing so soon. Anyone interested in playing a Flambeau apprentice?

Guernicus or Flambeau. Either one sounds interesting.

Oh, and while Lucas isn't looking to train an apprentice, per se, once he gets all of his Arts up to 5 or more (which should be in the next two or three years), He's going to inform House Mercere that he's available to take on a Mercere apprentice should one be identified. I figure that there are few enough Mercere Gifted magi that we all have to do our part for the few Gifted Mercere children that are born. I see it as Lucas's duty to tell House Mercere as soon as he's capable of taking on the task.

After that, the troupe ought to figure out when it would make a good story to have House Mercere have a child that needs to be apprenticed.

Well while we are putting that out there in a few years Fleur hopes to be creating a Mercere apprentice...
seriously, when she finishes her research into fertility magic the first person she plans to approach is Fedora...

Hmm, so there could be three new apprentices in the covenant at around the same time. That could make for some fun side adventures.

Edit: And I've always been interested in playing a Gifted Mercere...but I'm more interested in a Mercurian, so I'm not sure being an apprentice to Lucas would scratch that itch for me.

Remember, there might not be too much choice in masters for a Mercere. A Mercurian apprentice might get a Mutantem master. I'm sure the Mercere magi taking apprentices are used to this and don't take it personally. :wink:

Maybe we'd have to get a guest lecturer in for the Mercurian bits. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just figured the Mercurian Magic virtue was probably something that was learned from a master, but if it's more of something you're born with, then what you say makes sense.

Or it could be a matter of aptitude. We let the apprentice follow his aptitudes, rather than boxing him into what his master practices.

So when I was originally building Acutus, I had the idea to basically use his magic to improve himself (via MuCo and MuAn spells) while fighting with mundane or natural weapons. It seemed like a great idea, and followed the basic tenets of the Flambeau school (whose name I can't remember) that you can basically avoid magic resistance.

However, I soon realized that this tactic won't work when he is in his heartbeast, since any Muto magics he uses on himself means than any bite attack he makes will have to penetrate (using the lowest of the penetration totals of the currently active spells). Obviously this means my initial point distribution and low penetration (along with no mastered spells) is a bit of hindrance that I'm working through.

Now, at face value, it seems like this won't be an issue for him when he's fighting in his human form, since he can use a mundane javelin/spear and use whatever Muto spells he wants. However, I foresee multiple occasions in which he might travel somewhere in his heartbeast form, like say an island, switch back to his human form, and need to get a javelin. Hence creating his Conjure the Javelin spell; boom, I thought I was done. However, as I continue to learn the rules, I realized that even though this conjures a completely mundane javelin (in terms of stats), it is still considered magical because it was conjured and thus must overcome magic resistance. Damn!

And now to me question/conundrum...I figure at this point I might as well embrace the fact that I'm going to need to penetrate MR (even in human form) and just find the best way to go about doing so. For his heartbeast form, the plan is really just to work on his arts and his Penetration ability in order to improve his odds of ensuring a good penetration score. The good news is that his Minor Magical Focus will help him with all of his MuCo and MuAn spells that affect himself, so I have a good start there. I might also look at mastering the spells, but their are going to be a lot I plan on stacking, so I'd have to look at mastering all of them, or perhaps just the higher level ones.

For his human form, I see a couple of different options. The issue is really the javelin, so the Muto spells don't really matter in this case. The first, and probably easiest option would be to master his Conjure the Javelin spell, probably multiple times, to get the penetration way up there. It's a very low level spell, and I'll also be working on his Penetration ability, so that shouldn't be too hard to do.

The other option would be to go all out and make a javelin talisman with a ReHe teleportation effect built in. The question I have is how to deal with the penetration for a talisman. Would I have to build in penetration for every single magical effect in the talisman in order to use it as a melee weapon against MR (ie. it takes the lowest Penetration of all of the effects designed into it)? If that's the case, that seems to make talisman weapons pretty cost prohibitive if there are ever any plans to use it against a creature with magic resistance. Also, you would be bound to the penetration of effects put in since the creation of the talisman (where you arts were lower and couldn't put as much penetration into the effects) unless there is a way to "delete" effects from a talisman and/or replace them with a higher penetration version of the effect.

Carmen is of a Mercurian lineage. Not the Mercurian Magic Virtue. The (non-Mystery version of) the Cult of Mercury. That is where the covenant gets their odd old-form titles from; such as Pontifex, Flamen, and Bishop. No special Virtues to teach, just access to Mercurian spell mastery feats.

PoB: Haven't read the whole post, but I had to share: are you picturing something like this for how to make Acutus still kick butt in his heartbeast form with all his buffs?