Table Talk - Development

I can potentially juggle things around so that Lucas opens Elena's Arts in 1240. But that's about as early as I can get. And that's at the expense of gutting my work on a talisman.

What is the troupe's thoughts on correspondences (or Fixer's alternative)? If we're allowing correspondences, then I'm definitely going to take advantage of them.

[strike]Where are the stats for our teachers compiled? I'd like to give Lucas a season of Teaching training, and I want to see what's the best SQ he can manage.[/strike]

Never mind, I found the info.

Can I have Marius for solo teaching of Lucas in Summer or Autumn 1240?

Solomon is actually going to be needing that as well.

Marius teaches summer and winter, I can swap seasons training the students between he and Dragnanna, they will fall behind 4xp from the original plan, but if I swap Daraganna for Marius in 1241 that will even out. A season outside of summer or winter would be personal time, but he would be willing to do it for some vis he can put towards a longevity potion or enchantment if the covenant provides him longevity at some point...

Marko - Carmen may need some teaching training too. I could not find that skill on her sheet. But I could be looking in the wrong place.

If the training is in teaching the classes have plenty of room.

So it looks like Solomon, Lucas and possibly Carmen all need to be taught Teaching. I know we'd all prefer one-on-one teaching, but it probably makes most sense for it to be a class for the three of them, and possibly more if anyone else is interested.

It all comes down to whose time is more valuable, I think. With individual training by Marius, Teaching 4 can be achieved in two seasons. However, if he teaches a class, it will take three seasons to get to Teaching 4.

So we have the following:

Individual Teaching
Magi: 6 seasons
Marius: 6 seasons

Group Training
Magi: 9 seasons
Marius: 3 seasons

In each case it takes 12 man-seasons of training. Individual training puts the burden on Marius; group training puts the burden on the magi or vice versa.

Of course the math changes if a lot more people want to learn Teaching. But if it's just Carmen, Solomon, and Lucas, we have to ask whether three seasons of Marius's time is worth more than 3 seasons of magi time.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Teaching, what's the penalty for teaching a Gifted person? We're going to have a few apprentices who need to learn Latin and Magic Theory coming into the covenant soon.

It's based on the penalty from their Gift...so -3 for the Gift and -6 for the Blatant Gift. And I would think that would stack for multiple Gifted in a class.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

When are classes on Magic Theory being taught for the new class of scribes, and what's the SQ for them? I was thinking of having Horus sit in on one or two of them. He loses 10 SQ because of his Might. But a high enough SQ might make it worth it anyway.

It's just your Gift's social penalty applied to teaching SQ. Doubled if both teacher and pupil have the gift (i.e. -6 to the pupil's XP if both have the standard gift). The rules don't seem to suggest it stacks per gifted student in the class.

Fair enough, I didn't have the book with me when I typed that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

There is no class in magic theory, they are learning that from a book which they are writing a commentary on to determine their potential.

Darn.

I had suggested that the penalty should stack in the main forum. I don't think the rules explicitly rule it out, but I was drowned out. I really think it should stack, otherwise you have the opportunity for huge groups of apprentices being taught stuff at one time with very little labor in the process. If the teacher doesn't have Parma, he's affected by the student's Gift, and generates a -3 SQ, it would seem that multiple Gifted students would stack, but that's not explicit in the rules, nor is it explicit that it doesn't stack. All these crazy kids are making his life a living hell in the classroom. Consider that the number of students involved already does lower SQ quite substantially. If multiple students lowers SQ, is it that unreasonable that multiple Gifted students lowers SQ for each student?

Regardless, a Gifted student penalizes the SQ generated by the teacher. A Gifted teacher penalizes the SQ used by the student. The two together do stack. The Parma magica, can negate the penalty on a classroom full of Gifted students by extending Parma, but the teacher needs to be within sight the entire time.

Do you mean stack due to multiple Gifted children, or stack between teachers and student?

• class of magus, with two students with the Gift and one with Blatant Gift = no penalty if Parma is extended.
  • class of mundane teacher with same students = -3, -3, -6 = -12 penalty?

Don't apply penalties unless they are specifically stated. My style is to make things easier, not harder. Thanks for the advice JL, but that is not the way I want to go.
Also, Teaching is not marked as special or restricted. Anyone can do it. And Carmen does not plan on using mundane tutors.

In the list up top, you forgot to mention Vocis and his apprentice Mica (who should be close to Gauntet by now).

It does stack between a student and a teacher. I think it should stack with all participants in a classroom setting. Disruptive students in a classroom can bring all learning to a halt. The Gift is kind of a big deal, getting a lot of people with it interacting in one place should be a big deal, too.

There's little to prevent creating classrooms of Gifted students if the student's Gift doesn't affect other students. My thinking is that 5 Gifted students would create a -12 penalty to the each student's SQ for learning, just from all of the Gifted people being in one spot (-12 because a student's Gift doesn't affect his learning). There's a strong belief that the learning process is a one-to-one interaction between the teacher and a student, even if more than one student is in the classroom. That's not how classrooms work in modern times. Maybe in medieval times it was just a teacher lecturing and student's don't ever ask questions, but I don't think that was ever the case. In a scenario with all Gifted students, student's will always discount the answers of other students, this learning less from the entire process. I can definitely agree that-12 is too much, maybe Gifted participants that aren't the teacher add a -1 to the SQ, so that 5 Gifted Students would result in a -4 to the SQ.

You have to consider the effects on the Order, if you could do these mass teaching events, there's almost no reason to be cranking out students with minimum scores of 6 and 7 in Magic Theory at gauntlet, let alone other abilities.