Table Talk - Development

Secrets and Lies
I have been sending you all private communications entitles “Secrets and Lies”. These are tid bits for your characters to chew on, incorporating your specific quirks into the whole of the saga. I sometimes mix lies and truth into the rumors I tell, and, because this is a troupe style storytelling game, you can contribute your creativity to these subplots. And they are not actually secret. Feel free to share things in table talk, we can all pretend ignorance in play. We are going to be storyguiding each other, so there is no need to keep secrets. And I plan to make sure that Jarkman has a full copy of all of this :smiley:

Where does the low apparent age come from? I can't find the explanation.

Scott

Mark,

Do you mind if I go season by season with the two grogs I already have for Viola? I want to test and see how well your numbers work.

Scott

As a redcap, she gets a longevity potion. I gave her 15 warping points (for a score of 2, which leads to an additional flaw - fragile constitution) for 15 years of using it, but I assumed she looked comparatively young. I didn't throw any dice. I just sort of "paid" for it by letting her take the potion relatively early (looking young is fluff to me but if you want me to use the rules, I can give her a couple of extra apparent years).

I don't care if she's young looking and absolutely stunning or mature and absolutely stunning. shrug

Oh, I was just curious.

Scott

I think this is reasonable for Companions & particularly grogs.

Year by Year is a real hassle for a character that may have only limited play.

Cheers,

Lachie

My comments on JeanMichelle's Lejla, the Redcap Companion:

• nice to see a Muslim character enter the Saga in terms of story potential and making her a Milvini is a good angle. IIRC from HoH: Societas, the lammergeier (bearded vulture) is the raptor of Hermetic magi - they're also found in the Pyrenees. Not as beautiful as a falcon perhaps, but fits thematically with the Saga and perhaps a contrast to her personal hygiene obsessiveness? Just a thought.

• if she grows up in Valencia, her native tongue would likely be Arabic 5 (Andalusi) rather than Spanish 5 (Aragonese) - given her linguist/storytelling background it's likely she could then have storytelling as her specialty for Spanish or more likely the Latinus / Mozarab dialect given she was raised in Valencia. You've not given her a score in Occitan for her though, which means she effectively communicates with the rest of the covenant at an Occitan (Catalan) equivalent score of only 1 (See my pedantic language post earlier), which is a bit odd given she's likely to be taken along due to her great linguistic skills!

There's no reason for her to be "fluent"(score of 5) in all 5 tongues other than her native tongues (Arabic & Latinus/Mozarab), "functional" in her non-native tongues achieves the same effect for your concept - I'd drop Basque and Latin down to 4 (She can still write books in Latin then but it's not actually used much apart from magi) and with the 50XP gained she can speak at least Occitan 4 (Catalan) (50 XP), which makes her mechanically achieve her "universal Iberian translator" role.

• perhaps she should have a higher Scribe skill?

Otherwise, she's great!

Cheers,

Lachie

Whew, here's my most recent draft of Inigo. Hopefully nearly the last one. I'll post something in the Character Sheets thread and edit that after I hash out anything remaining here. Looking forward to starting the game.

Inigo Elazar, called Xalbador, of Flambeau
Male, Size 0

Inigo's face is deeply tanned and weathered, with prominent smile lines and a thin scar running from below his left eye down to his jaw. His blonde hair, worn long, shows more than a hint of gray. His face is lightly dusted with stubble and his blue eyes are intense but kind. Around his neck he wears an exquisite brass amulet in the shape of a rose. He has two small, seldom visible brands on his body, one on his chest and one on his lower back.

Inigo is a devoted Knight of Seneca and student of their martial teachings. He lost his wife twelve years ago, and still grieves for her a little. He has one daughter, Kesara, whom he loves to distraction and spoils more than he aught. He is often seen at work or play with his brow furrowed in concentration and his face split by a wry grin. He is not as adventurous as he was in his younger days, but still never shies away from a good fight or a good cause. He has fought bandits, fae, demons, a powerful hedge wizard and even one Wizard’s War.

He is nominally associated with the Legion of Mithras through his parens. Inigo suspects she is either high ranking enough in the cult to do as she wishes, or crafty enough not to get caught. Though they are both devoted to the preservation of the Order and the propagation of justice, neither are particularly closely associated with the hoplites. Isabeau has also used unorthodox scripts and does not appear closely connected to the central cult; her exact relationship with higher level cult members is unknown. Isabeau and his friend and sometime mentor, the grandmotherly Luene of Merinita, are his close friends and Kesara’s godparents.

Warping:
Decrepitude: 0
Confidence: 2 (6)
Wizard's Sigil: Inigo's spells are subtle and stylized, often incorporating a motif of roses.
Personality Traits: Optimistic +3, Brave +2, Protective +3, Romantic +1, Sardonic +1
Reputations: Bravery in Battle 3, House Flambeau Acclaim 2(4), Romantic 2 (4)

Characteristics:
Int: +2, Per +1, Str 0, Sta +2, Pre +1, Com -1, Dex -1, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws:
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Puissant Ignem, +1 Inventive Genius, +1 Affinity with Creo, +1 Affinity with Ignem, +1 Deft Ignem, +1 Book Learner, +1 Puissant Parma Magica, +1 Life Boost, +3 Major Magical Focus: Temperature
Flaws: -1 Incomprehensible, -1 Ambitious, -1 Deleterious Circumstances (when embarrassed, flustered, or extremely surprised), -1 Incompatible Arts (Intellego Mentem and Intellego Auram), -3 Optimistic, -3 Dependent (Kesara, his eleven year-old daughter)
Gained After Gauntlet: Self-Confident, Flawless Magic, Restriction (must touch a physical reminder of a loved one). Mentor and Enemies are a part of his story but are not “technically” flaws.

Abilities: Iberian Area Lore (legends) 1, Artes Liberales (ceremonial magic) 2, Athletics (running) 1, Awareness (alertness) 1, Brawl (dodging) 3, Carouse (drinking to forget) 0 [2], Charm (first impessions) 2, Code of Hermes (mundane relations) 1, Concentration (spell concentration) 2, Etiquette (nobles) 1, Euskara/Basque (storytelling) 5, Finesse (precision) 4, Folk Ken (warriors) 2, Guile (fast talk) 1, Leadership (inspiration) 1[5], Langue D'Oc (talking to family members) 3, Latin (Hermetic usage) 4, Legion of Mithras Lore (initiating others) 1, Magic Lore (regiones) 2 [4], Magic Theory (inventing spells) 4[15], Order of Hermes Lore (Famous Flambeau) 2, Ride (long journeys) 0 [4], Single Weapon (longsword) 2 [2], Stealth (sneak) 2, Survival (foothills) 2, Parma Magica (Ignem) 4+2 [6], Penetration (Ignem) 3 [1], Philosophiae (natural philosophy) 1

Magical Arts XP / score
Creo (70x1.5)/14
Intellego 6/3
Muto 22/6
Perdo 86/12
Rego 46/9

Aquam 36/8
Auram 28/7
Corpus 55/10
Ignem (70x1.5)/14+3
Imaginem 7/3
Vim 16/5

Combat:
Dodge: Init +1, Atk (N/A), Def +5, Dmg (N/A)
Fists: Init +0, Atk -1, Def +4, Dmg +0
Dagger: Init +1, Atk +4, Def +4, Dmg +3
Longsword: Init +3, Atk +6, Def +5, Dmg +6

Spellbook: [Casting Total, including focus, mastery and talisman, but not aura or encumbrance]
Purifcation of the Festering Wounds CrCo20. [+24]
Endurance of the Berserkers ReCo15 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Sun). [+22]
Wizard’s Leap ReCo15 [+25] (Mastery 3: Simulcasting, Multicasting, Fast Casting)
From Ural’s Height ReCo25 (wiki) (Mastery 1: Precise Casting) [+24]
Shriek of Impending Shafts InHe15 (Mastery 1: Stalwart Casting) [+9]
Test of Flames CrIg20 ((KoS)) (Mastery 1: Imperturbable Casting) [+37]
Compass of the Vigilant Flame InIg5 ((KoS)) (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Conc) (wiki) [+25]
Shadows of Fires Past InIg15 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to R;Touch) [+25]
Vision of Heat’s Light InIg20 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to R:Touch) [+28]
Wizard’s Icy Touch PeIg10 (Mastery 3: Multicasting, Simulcasting, Penetration) [+48]
Wizard's Icy Grip PeIg30 (Mastery 2: Multicasting, Penetration) [+48]
Soothe the Raging Flames PeIg20 (Mastery 1: Multicasting) [+47]
Tremulous Vault of the Torch’s Flame, ReIg5
Ward Against Heat and Flames ReIg25 [+40]
Veil of Invisibility PeIm20 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Diam) [+17]
Wizard’s Sidestep ReIm10 [+18]
Howl of Steel Weapons InTe15 (Mastery 1: Stalwart Casting) [+9]
Demon’s Eternal Oblivion PeVi5 (Mastery 2: Multicasting, Penetration) [+25]
Sap the Griffon’s Strength PeVi5 (Mastery 1: Multicasting) [+20]
Words Wrought of Iron PeVi5 (Mastery 1: Multicasting) [+20]
Lancea Magica ((KoS)) PeVi20 (Mastery 1: Penetration) [+20]

New Spells:
The Frigid Lake, CrAq(Ig)15 (Mastery 3[3]: Multicasting, Simulcasting, Penetration)
R:Voice, D:Diameter, T:Individual
You conjure a large pool of glacial, nearly frozen water around your target, who must succeed on a Stamina stress roll of 9+ or lose a fatigue level and take +0 damage from the chill. The water’s temperature will adjust to its surroundings normally, and so in a cold environment it is likely to freeze while in a warm environment it will slowly heat up.
Base 3 +2 Voice +1 Diam +1 Requisite

Grasp of Freezing Ice CrAq(Ig)25 (Mastery 1: Flex Casting to D:Sun) [+36]
R:Voice, D:Diameter, T:Individual
You encase an area up to four paces wide and six feet high in thick, supernaturally cold ice. Anyone caught in the ice is immobilized and must succeed on a Stamina stress roll of 9+ or lose a fatigue level each round. To break out requires a Strength stress roll of 12+, allowed once a round. Someone not trapped can chip out a trapped person within two rounds, but this requires proper tools.
Base 3 +2 Voice +1 Diam +2 Group +1 Requisite

Fount of Scalding Steam, ReAq(Ig)10 (Mastery 2[1]: Multicasting, Simulcasting)
R:Voice, D:Momentary, T:Individual
You boil water, up to the amount contained in a small pond, into extremely hot steam. The steam has intensity +5 the first round and intensity +1 the second round. This spell can be aimed to affect water near enemies.
Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Requisite

Charge of the Winter Wind, CrAu(Ig) 20
R:Voice, D:Concentration, T:Individual
A wall of icy wind roars away from you, starting up to 10 paces away and continuing until it dissipates naturally. The wind is confined by existing barriers, but if unconfined it can be up to one hundred paces wide. All within the area must make a Dexterity + Size stress roll of 9+ or fall down and be blown along by the winds. A Stamina stress roll of 9+ is required regardless to avoid loosing one fatigue level from the extreme cold. The rolls must be made at the start of the gale and each subsequent round that the wind is maintained. You must concentrate on the gale, but you may only maintain it for a maximum of five rounds. Missile fire into or out of the gale is futile, and marching against the gale requires a Strength + Size stress roll of 15+. Failure in this attempt mandates another Dexterity + Size stress roll of 12+ to keep from falling.
Base 3 +2 Voice, +1 Conc, +1 Unnatural, +1 Requisite

Sun’s Scorching Caress, CrIg 25 Mastery 3 (Penetration, Multicasting, Simulcasting) [+54]
Conjure incredible heat around the target, causing him to take +15 damage. If this is enough to kill, the target is incinerated to mere ash. Metal near the target is heated red-hot, and flammable materials on or near his person are likely to ignite.
Base 10 +2 Voice

Boiling Heart of the Forge CrIg35. (Mastery 2: Multicasting, Penetration) [+52]
You create heat as hot as a smith’s forge, enough to melt stone until it is molten or make iron white-hot, soft, and malleable. Anyone immersed in this heat takes +25 damage. This spell can be aimed to affect stone or metal near one’s target, and affects an area of approximately one cubic pace.
Base 25 +2 Voice

Wizard’s Theft of Warmth, Pe(Re)Ig 25 (Mastery 1: Fast Casting) [+41]
Takes all of the heat from an area up to four paces across and four paces deep, making it cold enough to freeze water instantly. Any fires in the area decrease significantly in size. Living creatues caught in the area must succeed on a Stamina stress roll of 12+ or lose a fatigue level from the chill. You can control the size and shape of the affected area freely, though tricky maneuvers require Finesse rolls at the storyguide’s discretion.
Base 5 +1 Size +2 Voice +1 Requisite

Equipment:
A longsword
Comfortable, stylish golden robes bound with a white sash.
Leather scale hauberk (worn only rarely)
Daggers (2)
Knife
A lock of Kesara’s hair, carefully wrapped and hidden on his person
Vis, worn as jewelry or carried in belt: 3 pawns Ignem, 3 pawns Creo

Talisman: Zoé's Rose, an exquisitely well-made brass amulet featuring a rose.
Attunements: Ignem +3; Demons, Devils, and Angels +4; Protect Self +4; Move Self +2.
Enchantments (0 pawns free):
Only My Shadow PeIm10+9, Item Maintains Concentration, 12 uses/day. As Veil of Invisibility, but with Range:Personal. Inigo becomes invisible by rubbing the back of the amulet twice with his left thumb.
Flight Without Wings ReCo20+10, Item Maintains Concentration, 24 uses/day.
You levitate, held gently but firmly above the ground. You can fly as fast as a horse can gallop by concentrating, and moving and levitating in place are equally easy. A Finesse roll may be needed for any tricky maneuvers. The item maintains concentration, so there is no danger of falling from the sky because you forgot to think about your flight (though inattention while flying has its own dangers).
Inigo activates this effect by swirling his left index finger around the buds of the rose.

Laboratory:
Inigo’s lab is warm, open, and airy with a high ceiling and several south facing windows. The exterior is a small but attractive house made of grey stone, which stands at the edge of the wall facing out into the vineyards. The lab itself opens onto a small garden at the back, which is tidy and well-cared for, and the view of the vineyards from the windows or back garden is striking yet serene. Kesara and her nurse, Laine, come and go freely within the lab, although they stay out of the areas where Inigo works regularly. Laine will often clean parts of the lab when Inigo isn’t looking – he indulges her because he dislikes clutter more than he dislikes the intrusion.

His work area is clean but clearly well lived in, with tools and glassware organized in neat rows and drawers. His workbench has several small mirrors and prisms that playfully redirect and split the light streaming in the windows. On a table near the center of the room, there is a brazier with a fire that burns without heat, which Inigo tends as part of his longevity ritual. Sitting conspicuously in a vase off to the side is a delicate pink rose.

General Quality +1, Refinement +0, Upkeep +1, Safety +2, Health +1, Aesthetics +5.
Specializations: +1 Items, +1 Creo, +1 Rego, +1 Corpus, +1 Ignem, +1 Imaginem
Inactive specializations: +1 Vis Extraction, +1 Texts, +1 Mentem.

Free Virtues/Flaws
Dedicated Building (+1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Rego)
Idyllic Surroundings (+1 Creo)
Superior Construction (+1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics)
Magically superior heating (+1 Aesthetics +1 Health +1 Ignem)
Magically superior lighting (+1 Aesthetics +1 Texts +1 Imaginem)
Superior Equipment (+1 General Quality, +1 Safety, +1 Vis Extraction)
Superior Tools (+1 Safety, +1 Items)
Person (-1 Safety, +1 Corpus)
Servant (has Intelligence +1). (+1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Mentem)

Advancement:
Winter: Study Order of Hermes Lore Tractatus Q7 + 3. +10=10(1).
The Order Divided, the Order United, by Julius of Tremere.
Spring: Study Auram Tractatus Q11+3. +15=15 (5). On Clouds by Gerard ex Miscellanea
Summer: Adventure: Welcome to Morgan’s Rise. Q10. Concentration+5=10 (2), Creo +2x1.5=26x1.5 (8), Finesse+2 =7 (1), Ride +2= 2 (0).
Autumn: Studies Creo Tractatus Q11+3. +14x1.5=40x1.5 (10). The Realm of Forms, by Reginald of Bonisagus,

Winter: Studies Parma Summa L3 Q10+3 +13=18 (2). Meditations on the Parma by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Spring: Adventure: An Unlikely Match. Q7. Muto+5=5(2). Langue D’Oc +2=2(0).
Summer: Study Parma Summa L3 Q10+3 +13=31 (3). Meditations on the Parma by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Autumn: Taught Finesse +11=18 (2).

Winter: Taught Langue D’Oc +13=15 (2).
Spring: Adventure: A Gift for Zoé Q9. Penetration +4=9(1). Single Weapon +5=10 (1).
Summer: Exposure to Langue D’Oc +2=17 (2). Spent recovering from wounds.
Autumn: Corpus +2=8 (3). Learns CrCo20 “Purification of the Festering Wounds” from a lab text.

Winter: Adventure: Riddles of the Legion. Q10 Code of Hermes +5=5(1). Legion of Mithras Lore +5=5(1).
Spring: Taught Single Weapon +7=17 (2).
Summer: Study Penetration Tractatus Q11+3. +14=23 (2). Piercing the Magical Shield by Tomas le Maladroit of Flambeau.
Autumn: Study Corpus Tractatus Q11+3. +14=22 (6). Whispers from Beyond by Eavarestus of Criamon.

Winter: Taught Finesse +11=29 (2).
Spring: Adventure: Nest of Vipers. Q12. Finesse+1=30(3) Imaginem+3=3(2), Penetration+3=26(2), Rego +3=18(5) Ride+2 =4(0).
Summer: Studies Vim Summa L5 Q13+3. +16=16 (5). On Power by Hortense of Tremere.
Autumn: Taught Langue D’Oc +13=30 (3).

Winter: Initiation: Self Confident and Restriction gained.
Spring: Adventure: Cleaning Out Bandits. Q5. Charm +5=10(1).
Summer: Studies Perdo Tractatus Q13+3. +16=31 (7). Understand the Strife by Eavarestus of Criamon.
Autumn: Study Corpus Summa: Q12+3. +15=37(8). The Body and the Divine by Amadeus of Jerbiton.

Winter: Adventure: An Eye for an Eye Q15. Parma +5=36(3), Finesse +5=35(3), Penetration +5=31(3).
Spring: Exposure: Carouse +2
Summer: Adventure and Quest: Vengeance. Q10 Parma Magica +5=41(3). Creo +(2x1.5)=42x1.5(10), Corpus +3=40(8).
Autumn: Adventure: The Knights of Seneca. Q15 Leadership +5=10(1), Creo +5x1.5=47x1.5(11), Order of Hermes Lore +5=15 (2).

Winter: Studies Magic Theory Summa Q20+3. +23=53(4) Keys of Bonisagus by Bonisagus the Founder.
Spring: Initiation: Acquires Flawless Magic.
Summer: Invent Boiling Heart of the Forge, CrIg35 (Mastery: Multicasting), by working triple overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.
Discovery: Creo +3x1.5=52x1.5 (12). Ignem +(8x1.5)=52x1.5 (12).
Autumn: Invents The Frigid Lake, CrAq(Ig)15 (Mastery: Multicasting) by working overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.

Winter: Perdo +2=33(7). Invents Wizard’s Theft of Warmth, Pe(Re)Ig25 by working overtime and experimentation with +1 risk.
Discovery: Rego +6=24 (6).
Spring: Adventure: Seeking Illumination. Q7. Imaginem +2 =5(2). Remainder to spell mastery.
Summer: Studied Corpus Summa L15 Q12+3 +15=55 (10). Corporeum by Julius filius Arturis of Bonisagus.
Autumn: Taught Finesse +12=47(3).

Winter: Adventure: Journey and Tournament. Q12. Creo+(2x1.5)=52x1.5(12). Remainder to spell mastery.
Spring: Studies Creo Summa L20 Q15+3. +18x1.5=70x1.5 (14) Liberi de Creationé by Bonisagus the Founder. Kesara is fully mobile and curious as ever, but most covenant members seem willing to watch out for her. She is quite the headache for her nurse, however.
Summer: Exposure Perdo +2=35(7). Learns Demon’s Eternal Oblivion, Sap the Griffon’s Strength, and Dreadful Bane of the Fae from lab texts all at level 5 (all with Multicasting masteries). Kesara is an unholy terror, and absolutely tenacious when there’s something she wants to know about. At one point, she is found sleeping in an empty guest laboratory, heedless of the intricate glassware and eldritch symbols. Inigo tries to impose discipline, but indulges her more than he should.
Autumn: Magic Theory +2=55(4). Prepare longevity ritual, expending 5p Co, 4pVi. Ritual power:-8.

Winter: Age 35 (34). Adventure: Time Waits for No Man. Q8. Concentration+5=15(2), Rego +3=27(6).
Spring: Magic Theory +2=57 (4). Opened Zoé’s Rose for enchantment, using 5 pawns of Vim vis. This is the first time since her death that he has taken it off his neck.
Summer: Studied Magic Lore Summa L4 Q11+3. +14=19(2). The Travels of Fedoso Verderis of Criamon. He often reads to Kesara from Fedoso at night, saving the most ridiculous or exciting parts he finds for her.
Autumn: Study Muto Summa L12 Q14+3 +17=22(6).On Transmutation by Junola of Bonisagus.

Winter: Age 36 (34). Study Perdo Summa: L20, Q6+3. +9=44(8) Liberi de Perditu (exemplar edition), by Bonisagus the Founder.
Spring: Magic Theory +2=59(4). Attunes Zoé’s Rose as his talisman. It is the first time since her death that he has removed it from his neck.
Summer: Study Perdo Commentary: Q12+3. +15=59(10). Commentary on the Liberi de Perditu, by Florenzo of Jerbiton.
Autumn: Study Parma Magica Tractatus Q12+3. +15=56(4). Aegis of the Magus by Joseph of Flambeau.

Winter: Age 37 (34). Study Perdo Tractatus Q10+3. +13=72 (11) Questions of Death by Arioch of Tremere.
Spring: Adventure: Making Amends. Q10. Etiquette +5=5(1) Charm +5=15(2).
Summer: Study Auram Summa L10 Q10+3. +13=28(7) Jupiter’s Hammer, by Julius of Flambeau
Autumn: Study Aquam Summa L18 Q8+3. +11=11(4). Atlanticus by Namoricus of Jerbiton.

Winter: Age 38 (34). Study Spell Mastery Tractatus Q8+3. +11x2=22(2). On the Wizard’s Leap by Ionicus of Mercere.
Spring: Adventure: Rest in Peace Q11. All to spell mastery.
Summer: Adventure: A Personal Matter Q11. All to spell mastery.
Autumn: Study Aquam Commentary Q11+3. +14=25(6). He ensures that Kesara is safe at Andorra, and asks Isabeau to come stay with her.

Winter: Age 39 (35). Adventure: On the Brink of War, Q15. All to spell mastery
Spring: Adventure: At War Q11 All to spell mastery
Summer: Study Aquam Tractatus Q8+3. +11=36 (8). Hydrologia by Alvinius of Verditius.
Autumn: Study Rego Tractatus Q12+3. +15=42(8). Proper Command and Control, Aaron of Jerbiton.

Winter: Age 40 (35). Taught spells by Luene of Merinita. Her lab total in highest art (Muto and Corpus) is 47 within Andorra’s Aura. She teaches PeIm20 Veil of Invisibility, and ReCo25From Ural’s Height.
Spring: . Magic Theory +2=63(4). Invent CrAq(Ig)25 “Grasp of Freezing Ice” by experimentation and working overtime. He gains no benefit from the experimentation, but succeeds without mishap anyway. Mastery: Flex Casting (D:Sun).
Summer: Study Perdo Tractatus Q11+3. +14=86(12). The Legacy of Apromor by Joseph of Flambeau.
Autumn: Imaginem +2=7(3). Invest “See Only My Shadow” into Talisman, attuning it to Ignem at the same time (+3). He works overtime to complete the project in just one season.

Winter: Age 41 (35). Study Ignem Summa L14 Q12+3. +(15x1.5)=70x1.5 (14). Ars Flambonis by Elaine of Flambeau
Spring: > Rego+2=44(8). Invest Flight Without Wings into Talisman, simultaneously attuning it to “Demons, Devils, and Angels” (+4). He rises early each day in order to get extra time to accomplish this task.
Summer: Rego+2=46(9). Finish investing Flight Without Wings. He continues to rise early each morning.
Autumn: Adventure: Eternal Oblivion. Q11. Finesse +3=50(4). Remainder to spell mastery.

Winter: Age 42 (35). Magic Theory +2=65(4). Learns PeIg30 Wizard’s Icy Grip (M:Penetration) and PeIg20 Soothe the Raging Flames (M:Multicasting) from lab texts.
Spring: Trained in spells by his mater. Her highest lab total is 45 (Creo Ignem). She teaches InTe15 Howl of Steel Weapons (M:Stalwart Casting), InHe15 Shriek of Impending Shafts (M:Stalwart Casting), and ReCo15 Endurance of the Berserkers (M:Flex Casting to D:Sun)
Summer: Exposure Intellego +2=5(2)Learn “Vision of Heat’s Light” (M: Flex Casting to R:Touch) and “Shadows of Fires Past” (M:Flex Casting to R:Touch) from lab texts.
Autumn: Adventure: Just Like Old Times. Q14. Intellego +1=6(3). Remainder to spell mastery.

Ok, maybe I'm saying something stupid, but isn't your familiar considered to be you for aegis purposes? I mean, if you have participated in the aegis ritual and he does'nt, he doesn't need a token, right?

Compare it to a magus MR.
Even with a form bonus of 20 (Who has 20 in every form?), this still aks for Parma 11 (13 if all forms at 10). Clearly possible, sure, but pretty high nonetheless.

Since you don't have Affinity with single weapon, your ability score is caped at 6.
Otherwise, no problem.

Fixer, 75 is Archangel Michael IIRC. The fact that an archmage can even think about comparing himself in raw fuirepower with that creature is laughable IMO. A creature of that level should not be a potential target even for a tytalus or a Flambeau searching for a challenge "on his level". Some creatures should be out of the equation even for hermetics. As per the rules, they are not.

IMO the Might scores are in the low end of the scale. 4th edition has not solved the issue since you can pile so much bonuses together and that renders the introduction of the new penetration rules (easily avoided by using a pair of damaging spells with mastery or indirect attacks) almost useless.

DOUBLING the might scores of the creatures that appear in the RAW makes for a much more sensible MR rules for them and puts them on par with their description text as minor foes and imps (might 20 creatures) or powerful opponents that require teams of magi to face using communion et al (might 100-150).

But that is OT, so I'll shut up.

Cheers,

Xavi

Falls, great concept, great backstory - an incurable Romantic Flambeau!

I'll make the following comments:

• I'm not sure if the Legion of Mithras really fits this character as many of the features you attribute to Xalbador are extensions of the ArM5 Flambeau archetype regardless.

I apologise for not remarking on this sooner.

I wonder if some of the ideas in the Cult of Orpheus (HoH: Societas, pages 120-123) would suit this romantic warrior-magus?

The Major Virtue: Sanguine Humour's Blessing is a General Virtue and thus can be taken by those outside of Ex-Misc or outside the Orphic Cult as such. It gives you a bonus for actions linked to a single Story Flaw, for instance, having the Dependent Flaw give syou a +5 bonus to support and protect, whereas having the Enemies Flaw gives you a +5 bonus to attack and defend, both of which suit your character although the RAW only allow 1 bonus. You would have to juggle out a couple of Minor Virtues or ask Marko if you can gain it in play at the cost of gaining the Dependent Flaw (when is your daughter born) or Enemies.

The Major Hermetic Flaw: Restriction (True Feeling) is right on IMHO for this character concept and could replace the Optimistic Major Flaw. I'd also wonder about Lost Love instead of Incomprehensible - the former fits the story, the latter is just a mechanical penalty.

Contact me by PM or at jarkman_devries@mac.com for details if you don't have ready access to the Societas book.

You could still retain the mentor link to the Legion via Isabeau.

• What protection does your daughter have? How do you keep track of her? Where does she stay - at the covenant? It's lovely countryside, but Andorra's not exactly the safest place... (hint)

There's a spell in the Orphic section called "A Father's Concern" that allows a magus to keep track of their relatives, which could be modified to R: Arc, D: Mom, T: Individual for a InCo Level 30 effect that would suit your character nicely. Perhaps this could be an invested effect in your Rose or another item given to you by say the Verditius magus as something you specifically commissioned?

• Language Pedant note: Langue d'Oc should be Occitan (Provencal dialect) )in ArM5, but since it's your 2nd language you don't need to choose a dialectic specialty and can leave it as Occitan 3 (talking to family).

• I like the new spells. The temperature focus is an interesting variant, and one linked to the theme of passion ie. Sanguine Humour.

Cheers,

Lachie

Thank you, Jarkman, very helpful. I worked them in. She is still able to disguise as a Spanish and an Arab person, which is important for reconnaissance missions (think Chekov from Star Trek, when he asks questions about nuclear installations in the movie with the whales. An accent is a dead giveaway forrr eny sby).

I've cleaned up the Camper, too.
I had neglected to take the free vow flaw + virtue that comes with custos anyway. I didn't take Martial training but affinity instead and aged him a few years. This not totally in accordance with the rules, but the alternative would be aging him till he is 46 - and I don't think I want to spend so many xp on him (following the rules here more closely would result in a more powerful character).

As a test, sure. I think it should work reasonably well, even if overly complicated for a grog. Let's see what happens!

To be precise (yeah, I checked the book), Michael has a Might of 100, which by itself is already out of the league of most PC magi save prerhaps for the Archmagus minority.

That said, such beings as Angels, and certainly in the case of Michael, are not astronomically challenging due primarily to their Might so much as by their powers. Michael, for instance, wields a fiery sword that completely ignores might.

Hmmm, i dunno, in my experience as a PC questions of might have never weighed unduly in favour of the magi. On the contrary, it is usually a protracted matter in which many small breaches ultimately lead to victory or to that one extremely lucky attack roll that finishes the creature off. But I will grant that the possibility exists in 5th to stack so many bonuses together you could conceivably take on and vanquish a creature of moderate might (40-50) singlehandedly, even if rather worse for wear by the end of combat yourself.

I think this would be excessive as far as solutions go. doubling the might scores would make the low to middling creatures unduly resistant to most things young to journeymen magi could whip up and the top shelf opponents would be beyond the pale.

Of course having said all that I have said above, my comments do not presume ready use of the latest "kill'm all" doomsday device from Verdi to accomplish one's ends, merely toe to toe abilities/arts/powers vs the creature(s) in question. Once you bring in the penetration of devices I would agree the whole ball game becomes ridiculous and SG's must needs tailour might levels or creature types upwards to the top of the scale.

Angels in general, however, are best not fought since even if you win you lose (your soul) and just end up getting smitten by god with fire from heaven anyways lol.

Hmm never received one. I guess thats cause my character hasnt been finished and posted. no biggie. I can wait anyways till you understand me and my purpose more. Coming soon.

My second grog:

Elias, el Barbero

Elias is a Jewish battle bonesetter. Unlike most other grogs, he is more brainy than brawny. He also cooks in the field, and tries to cook as cosher(ly?) as the circumstances permit. He hails from a Barcelona Jewish family. He has been recruited on one of Marie's adventures and accepted this position because he likes the idea of getting a longevity salve some day. He is cautious and humble because he doesn't want to upset anybody. He was not too happy about learning to use a weapon, but he didn't dare to say anything.
He has black curly hair and an oiled black beard. He is rather tanned and his eyes are large and understanding. His nose is crooked. He hasn't received official Custos status yet, because he has only been with the covenant for about a year – and only recently was the anti-semitic prejudice amongst the grogs overcome.

Using Elias: Elias is not much of a fighter, so he avoids melee. In battle, he uses his sling (like David vs Goliath) from a "safe" distance (sling stones are not blocked by magic resistance or Herbam anti-missile spells, plus a sling has a good range) to create a diversion that a magus can exploit. He also supports the others with his healing (which can of course be assisted with magic) and cooking. His premonitions help Magi avoid traps. He can also give advice on Jewish culture and serve as a copyist or a teacher if things get quiet.

Characteristics: Int 1, Per 1, Str 0, Sta 1, Pre 0, Com 0, Dex 2, Qik 1
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0
Virtues and Flaws: Outsider (Jew, Minor: Grog); Premonitions; Educated (Jewish), humble
Personality Traits: humble+3, loyal+2, brave+1
Reputations: Jew 1 (Christians)

Weapon/Attack Init Atk Dfn Dam
Fist +1 +5 +4 +0
Kick +0 +5 +3 +3
Dagger +1 +8 +5 +3
Sling -2 +7 x +4

Soak: +1
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious -
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Occitan (Catalan) 5, Folk Ken (Patients) 2, Guile (patients) 2, Charm (old ladies) 2, Jewish Lore (Legends) 3, Rabbinical Law (Magic) 1, Hebrew (medical texts) 4, Latin (copy) 3, Chirurgy (binding wounds) 5, Medicine (physician) 3, Thrown Weapons (sling) 4, Brawl (dagger) 3, Profession: Cook (Cosher) 3, Animal Handling (horses) 2, Area Barcelona (Jews) 3, Eiquette (Jewish) 2, Ride (battle) 1, Teach (medical skills) 2, Artes Liberales (Logic) 2, Premonitions (threats to Magi) 5, Profession: Scribe (quickly) 2, Bargain (Jews) 3, Survival (urban) 2
Equipment: sling, bandages, knife, Jewish clothes
Encumbrance: 0 (Burden 0)

Eh, Roberto over in Novus Mane, newly gauntleted without any advancement yet, can take 20 and can take down as high as 30-35 if he pushes humself. In 10 or 20 years? 40's and 50's will fall like blades of grass. That's why I want the old Wards rule. I want you to be able to Ward and excape long bbefore you can kill.

Jean Michelle makes cool characters :smiley:

Thanks for the flowers