Table Talk - Development

No, Summoning is the only one with an option to be non-infernal by the RAW. That is basically what I asked for a house rule on way back when... and I suppose I keep misinterpreting your statements which say, basically what I want to hear, into rulings along with what I want. I say that since I get the impression now ( despite earlier statements ) that you would like to stick with the RAW realm alignment stats? Or am I confused again?

Either way I'll stick with the character. It just might make him a lot more ... dark. And more paranoid about sharing or cooperating with his magic as he would be afraid of being 'found out'.

If things go that way, how hard ( or not ) is it for someone to notice his goetia and it's infernal 'taint'?

As a pagan I think he'll just be in particular sympathy with the classical dark gods and goddesses associated with the underworld and summoning anyway... and his usual chthonic invocations and whatnot will be associated with them.

I still stand by my original interpretation of the synergistic application of 'Hermetic Sorcery' and 'Affinity ( Art )'. That is consistent with my understanding of the intent of the Affinity.

The errata for 'Flawless Magic' states:

Which is what I base my understanding on. I see no reason that affinities shouldn't work the same way, as I basically view flawless magic as a general affinity with spell mastery. If I was for example applying 'adventure' experience to an affinity art, I'd expect that to get a bonus as well even if it isn't a 'study total'. I view the 'study total' terminology as a flaw in the RAW which should have universally been replaced with the 'experience points' terms. But that could be something I'm rather lonely in by the sound of things. I am of course willing to redo my math on all of that if the troupe disagrees with my interpretation.

Flawless Magic was eratta'd. Affinities were not. I will stick to this, and say you cannot stack them this way. However, yoou *can stack an affinity with Magic Lore with Hermetic Sorcery and stuff like that. Affinity only applies when studying.

Summoning does clearly state that it is not always Infernal, but the others are. Ablating says that it is always Infernal. Commanding & Binding, I am willing to HR that those two can be magically aligned.

I'll go with that. :wink:

Now if you will excuse me I have a fair ammount of subtraction to do. And perhaps some reallotment of seasons/xp I'm not sure.

Use the bulk method man. Count how many years, multiply by four, subtract seasons for Initiation, then take 40xps per season. Build your scores up with the first ten years, then do all your spells in seven years, then top off your scores and mastery abilities with three more years. Or something like that. I suggest you go less than the full 20, and save some for in play. But the choice is yours. Your starting vis equals 5 + (20 - years you developed)

Well, I had reworked everything ( including spell listing etc. ) in light of new suggestions to where I ended up with a rego and vim both of twenty, a perdo of ten, and summoning and commanding of fifteen and ten respectively. Now, without changing anything else, this has dropped the rego to 18 and the vim to 17. Which I don't mind so much, but has messed up my math for the seasons I had alloted for spell design in the last iteration. I may have to ditch some spells... which I don't suppose is necessarily so very bad. Another twenty or thirty minutes and I should have a new draft to spam you with.

Oh, cool! :smiley:

Saga: Light of Andorra
Setting: Mythic Europe
Current Year: ?
House: Tytalus
Size: +1
Confidence: 2 / ( 5 )
Decrepitude:
Warping:

Birth Name: Ludovico Rudolfo Fosari
Year Born:
Race/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Venice
Religion: Quasi-Roman Paganism
Title/Profession: Magus
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 165
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Handedness: Right

Sigil: Unyielding/Overbearing Dominance
Covenant: Andorra
Domus Magna: Fudarus
Primus: Harpax
Parens: Mercatora
Covenant of Apprenticeship: Rellantali

Intelligence: +2 (3)
Perception: +1 (1)
Strength: 0
Stamina: 0
Presence: +1 (1)
Communication: +1 (1)
Dexterity: +1 (1)
Quickness: 0

Virtues: ( 10 ) Self Confident ( House ), Major Magical Focus ( Spirits ) ( Major ), Summoning ( Magic Realm ) ( Major ), Second Sight ( Minor ), Cautious Sorcerer ( Minor ), Affinity ( Rego ) ( Minor ), Affinity ( Vim )( Minor ), The Gift, Hermetic Magus

Flaws: ( 10 ) Incomprehensible ( Minor ), Proud ( Minor ), Wrathful (Minor), Infamous Master ( Lineage of Tasgillia / Mercatora of Rallantali )( Minor ), Cabal Legacy ( Titanoi )( Minor ), Pagan ( Major ), Hermetic Patron: Titanoi ( Acheronus )( Minor ), Seeker: Theurgic Magic/Mysteries ( Minor )

Acquired Virtues: ( 10 ) Hermetic Sorcery ( Major ), Commanding ( Magic Realm ) ( Major ), Leadworker ( Minor ), Chthonic Magic ( Major )

Acquired Flaws: ( 10 ) Enemy: Sahirs ( Major ), Proud ( Upgrade to Major ), Wrathful ( Upgrade to Major ), Blatant Gift ( Major )

Personality Traits: Dominating +3, Manipulative +3, Lover of Fine Things +3, Steadfast +1

Reputations: ??

Abilities:

Italian ( Prose ): 5 ( Native )
Latin ( Prose ): 4 ( 50xp )

Charm ( Dissembling ): 2 ( 15xp )
Guile ( Fast-Talk ): 2 ( 15xp )
Intrigue ( Hermetic ): 3 ( 30xp )
Bargain ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )
Leadership ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )
Etiquette ( Nobility ): 2 ( 15xp )

Single Weapon ( Short Sword ): 1 ( 10xp )
Brawl ( Grappling ): 1 ( 5xp )
Stealth ( Urban ): 3 ( 30xp )
Awareness ( Searching ): 2 ( 15xp )

Lore: Order of Hermes ( History ): 1 ( 10xp )
Code of Hermes ( Defense ): 2 ( 15xp )
Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( Initiations ): 4 ( 50xp )

Magic Lore ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )
Dominion Lore ( Angels ): 3 ( 30xp )
Infernal Lore ( Demons ): 3 ( 30xp )
Faerie Lore ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )

Area Lore: Venice ( Sewers / Passageways ): 2 ( 15xp )
Artes Liberales ( Ritual/Ceremony ): 2 ( 15xp )
Philosophiae ( Ritual/Cermony ): 2 ( 15xp )
Profession: Scribe ( Copying ): 1 ( 5xp )

Magic Theory ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )
Chthonic Magic ( Spirits ): 1 ( 5xp* )
Concentration ( Goetia ): 4 ( 50xp )
Parma Magica ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )
Finesse ( Rego ): 2 ( 15xp )
Penetration ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp )

Second Sight ( Spirits ): 4 ( 50xp )

Arts/Goetia:

Rego: 20 ( 213xp )

Perdo: 10 ( 55xp )

Vim: 20 ( 211xp )

Summoning: 15 ( 120xp )

Commanding: 10 ( 60xp )

Spells:

Lunar Binding of the Demanding Enchantment
Rego Vim 30
Gen. ( lvl +2 mag. ) / +1 Touch / +3 Moon / Ind - Sustaining Effect ( lvl -10 )

Coerce the Spirits of Magic
Rego Vim lvl 20
Base 5 / +2 Voice / +1 Concentration / Ind

Coerce the Spirits of Faerie
Rego Vim lvl 20

Fellblade of the Art
Perdo Vim lvl 10
Base 5 / +2 Voice / Mom. / Ind.
Might Stripper, Magic Realm

The Invisible Eye Revealed
Intellego Vim lvl 20
Base Effect / Per. / Conc. / Touch
Detects Scrying Magics

Throwing Off The Shackles of Guernicus
Perdo vim lvl 20
Base Effect / Per. / Mom. / Ind.
Dispels any scrying effect targeting the caster of a level equal to or lesser than ( Spell level +20 + Stress die )

Coerce the Spirits of the Dominion ( Chthonic )
Rego Vim lvl 20

Coerce the Spirits of Hell ( Chthonic )
Rego Vim lvl 20

Word's Wrought With Iron
Perdo Vim lvl 10
Base Effect / +2 Voice / Mom. / Ind.
Might Stripper, Faerie Realm

Demon's Eternal Oblivion
Perdo Vim lvl 10
Base Effect / +2 Voice / Mom. / Ind.
Might Stripper, Infernal Realm

Early Childhood ( 45 / 45 xp )

Italian ( Prose ): 5 ( 0xp )

Athletics ( Climbing ): 1 ( 5xp )
Stealth ( Urban ): 1 ( 5xp )
Awareness ( Searching ): 1 ( 5xp )

Charm ( Dissembling ): 2 ( 15xp )
Guile ( Fast-Talk ): 2 ( 15xp )

Further Childhood, Seven Years ( 100 / 100xp )

+30xp to Leadership, +15xp to Area Lore: Venice, +10xp to Awareness, +15xp to Etiquette, +5xp to Brawling, +25xp to Intrigue

Further Childhood Adjusted: Awareness ( Searching ): 2 ( 15xp ), Etiquette ( Nobles ): 2 ( 15xp ), Area Lore: Venice ( Sewers / Passageways ): 2 ( 15xp ),

Brawling ( Grappling ): 1 ( 5xp ), Leadership ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Intrigue ( Court ): 2 ( 25xp )

Apprenticeship ( 240 / 240xp - / 120 spells )

Latin ( Class ): 4 ( 50xp )

Artes Liberales ( Ritual/Ceremonial Magic ):1 ( 5xp )

Philosophiae ( Ritual/Ceremonial Magic ):1 ( 5xp )

Magic Theory ( Spirits ):3 ( 30xp )

Parma Magica ( Spirits ):1 ( 5xp )

Profession: Scribe ( Copying ): 1 ( 5xp )

Concentration ( Goetia ): 1 ( 5xp )

Penetration ( Spirits ): 1 ( 5xp )

Finesse ( Rego ): 1 ( 5xp )

Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( History ): 1 ( 5xp )

Code of Hermes ( Defense ): 2 ( 15xp )

Rego: 12 ( 55xp + 28: 83xp)

Vim: 12 ( 55xp + 28 : 83xp)

Post Apprenticeship 20 years

1st Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Adventure: Single Weapon +5xp, Study Artes Liberales +10xp, Study Finesse ( Rego ) +10xp, Study Second Sight ( Spirits ) +15xp )

1st Year Adjusted: Single Weapon ( Short Sword ): 1 ( 5xp ), Artes Liberales: 2 ( 15xp), Finesse ( Rego ): 2 ( 15xp ), Second Sight ( Spirits ): 2 ( 20xp )

2nd Year: ( 30 / 30xp ) ( Adventure: Bargain ( Spirits ) +5xp, Initiate Hermetic Sorcery / Enemy: Sahirs, Study Summoning +15xp (+8xp to Rego), Study Magic Lore +10xp (+5xp to Vim))

2nd Year Adjusted: Bargain ( Spirits ): 1 ( 5xp ), Summoning: 5 ( 15xp ), Rego: 13 ( 91xp ), Magic Lore ( Spirits ): 1 ( 10xp ), Vim: 12 ( 88xp )

3rd Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Adventure: Bargain ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Faerie Lore +10xp (+5 to Vim), Study Philosphiae + 10xp, Study Perdo +15xp )

3rd Year Adjusted: Bargain ( Spirits): 1 ( 10xp ), Vim: 13 ( 93xp ), Faerie Lore ( Spirits ): 1 ( 10xp ), Philosphiae 2 ( 15xp ), Perdo: 5 ( 15xp )

4th Year: ( 30 / 30xp ) ( Initiate Commanding / Upgrade Proud to Major, Study Commanding +10xp (+5 to Rego), Study Dominion Lore +10xp (+5 to Vim), Study Commanding +10xp (+5 to Rego)

4th Year Adjusted: Commanding: 5 ( 20xp ), Rego: 13 ( 101xp ), Dominion Lore ( Angels ): 1 ( 10xp ), Vim: 13 ( 98xp )

5th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp (+8 to Rego), Study Commanding +10xp (+5 to Rego), Adventure: Bargain ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Concentration +10xp

5th Year Adjusted: Summoning 7 ( 30xp ), Rego 14 ( 114xp ), Commanding 7 ( 30xp ), Bargain ( Spirits ): 2 ( 15xp ), Concentration ( Goetia ): 2 ( 15xp )

6th Year: ( 30 / 30xp ) ( Initiate Chthonic Magic / Blatant Gift, Study Concentration ( Goetia ) +10xp, Adventure: Stealth ( Urban ) +5xp, Study Perdo +15xp )

6th Year Adjusted: Chthonic Magic ( Spirits ): 1 ( 5xp* ), Concentration ( Goetia ): 2 ( 25xp ), Stealth ( Urban ): 1 ( 10xp ), Perdo: 7 ( 30xp )

7th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Adventure: Single Weapon ( Short Sword ) +5xp, Study Concentration ( Goetia ) +10, Train Stealth ( Urban ) +10xp, Study Perdo +15xp )

7th Year Adjusted: Single Weapon ( Short Sword ): 1 ( 10xp ), Concentration ( Goetia ): 3 ( 35xp ), Stealth ( Urban ): 2 ( 20xp ), Perdo: 9 ( 45xp )

8th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summmoning +15xp(+8 to Rego), Adventure: Concentration ( Goetia ) +5xp, Train Stealth ( Urban ) + 10xp, Study Infernal Lore ( Demons ) +10xp (+5 to Vim )

8th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 9 ( 45xp ), Rego: 15 ( 122xp ), Concentration ( Goetia ): 3 ( 40xp ), Stealth ( Urban ): 3 ( 30xp ), Infernal Lore ( Demons ): 1 ( 10xp ), Vim: 13 ( 103xp )

9th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp(+8 to Rego), Study Concentration ( Goetia ) +10xp, Adventure: Bargain ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Parma Magica +10xp)

9th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 10 ( 60xp ), Rego: 15 ( 130xp ), Concentration ( Goetia ): 4 ( 50xp ), Bargain ( Spirits ): 2 ( 20xp ), Parma Magica ( Spirits ): 2 ( 15xp )

10th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp(+8 to Rego), Train Bargain ( Spirits ) +10xp, Adventure: Parma Magica ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Perdo +10xp )

10th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 11 ( 75xp ), Rego: 16 ( 138xp ), Bargain ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Parma Magica ( Spirits ): 2 ( 20xp ), Perdo: 10 ( 55xp )

11th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp (+8 to Rego ), Study Commanding +10xp(+5 to Rego), Adventure: Parma Magica ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Magic Lore ( Spirits ) +10xp(+5 to Vim)

11th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 12 ( 90xp ), Rego: 16 ( 151xp ), Commanding: 8 ( 40xp ), Parma Magica ( Spirits ): 2 ( 25xp ), Magic Lore ( Spirits ): 2 ( 20xp ), Vim: 14 ( 108xp )

12th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp(+8 to Rego), Study Commanding +10xp(+5 to Rego), Adventure: Parma Magica ( Spirits ) +5xp, Study Magic Lore ( Spirits) +10xp (+5 to Vim ) )

12th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 14 ( 105xp ), Commanding: 9 ( 50xp ), Rego: 17 ( 164xp ), Parma Magica ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Magic Lore ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Vim: 14 ( 113xp )

13th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Summoning +15xp(+8 to Rego ), Study Commanding +10xp(+5 to Rego ), Adventure: +5xp to Intrigue, Study Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( History ) +15xp )

13th Year Adjusted: Summoning: 15 ( 120xp ), Commanding: 10 ( 60xp ), Rego: 18 ( 177xp ), Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( History ): 2 ( 20xp ), Intrigue ( Hermetic ): 3 ( 30xp )

14th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( History ) +10xp, Study Order of Hermes Lore +10xp, Study Vim +10xp, Study Vim +10xp )

14th Year Adjusted: Mystery Lore: Titanoi ( History ): 3 ( 30xp ), Lore: Order of Hermes ( History ): 1 ( 10xp ), Vim: 15 ( 123xp )

15th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Faerie Lore +10xp(+5 to Vim), Study Penetration +10xp, Study Rego +15(23), Study Rego +5(8) )

15th Year Adjusted: Vim: 15 ( 128xp ), Faerie Lore ( Spirits ): 2 ( 20xp ), Penetration ( Spirits ): 1 ( 15xp ), Rego: 19 ( 208xp )

16th Year: ( 40 / 40xp ) ( Study Penetration +15xp, Adventure: Titanoi Lore +5xp, Study Vim +15(23), Adventure: Rego +5)

16th Year Adjusted: Penetration ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Titanoi Lore ( Initiation ): 3 ( 35xp ), Vim: 16 ( 151xp ), Rego: 20 ( 213xp )

17th Year: ( 30 / 30xp )( Initiate Leadworker / , Train Second Sight +10xp, Study Infernal Lore +10xp(+5 to Vim), Study Titanoi Lore +10xp)

17th Year Adjusted: Vim: 17 ( 156xp ), Second Sight ( Spirits ): 3 ( 25xp ), Infernal Lore ( Demons ): 2 ( 20xp ), Titanoi Lore ( Initiation ): 3 ( 45xp )

18th Year: ( 40 / 40xp) ( Study Faerie Lore +15xp(+8 to Vim), Adventure: Faerie Lore + 5xp (+3 to Vim), Adventure: Infernal Lore ( Demons ) + 5xp(+3 to Vim), Study Second Sight +15xp )

18th Year Adjusted: Vim: 17 ( 170xp ), Faerie Lore ( Spirits ): 3 ( 30xp ), Infernal Lore ( Demons ): 2 ( 25xp ), Second Sight ( Spirits ): 3 ( 40xp )

19th Year: ( 30 / 30xp ) ( Adventure: Infernal Lore +5xp(+3 to Vim), Study Dominion Lore +10xp(+5 to Vim), Study Dominion Lore +10xp(+5 to Vim), Compelling ( Divine & Infernal) (Chthonic) Adventure: Titanoi Lore +5xp )

19th Year Adjusted: Infernal Lore ( Demons ): 3 ( 30xp ), Dominion Lore ( Angels ): 3 ( 30xp ), Vim: 18 ( 183xp ), Titanoi Lore ( Initiations): 4 ( 50xp )

20th Year: ( 30 / 30xp ) ( Study Second Sight +10xp, Study Vim +15(23), Adventure: Vim +5xp, Might Strippers X 2 )

20th Year Adjusted: Second Sight ( Spirits ): 4 ( 50xp ), Vim: 20 ( 211 )

Ok, that is what I have in this iteration. Most of the free seasons I had occupied with spell design ended up being eaten by keeping my art scores the same ( Rego & Vim. ) So he ended up not having quite as many spells as I had worked out... but that leaves him a lot of things to make/design in the course of the game and thus room to grow, so I am ok with that. Any further critique or suggestions?

I say job well done! I will study him over the weekend. In the mean time, approval is up to the troupe. Especially Jarkman and Fixer, 'cause I know the have the book :wink:

Here is Xavi's character. He keeps neglecting to post it, but I have a copy :wink:

Marcellus Glacius of Flambeau (Marko Markoko Version)
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Com +0, Pre +1, Str +2, Sta +2, Dex +0, Quik -1
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping:
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues: +0 Gifted Hermetic Magus, +F Skilled Parens, +3 Mythic Blood (Winter Giants; Gift of Ymir’s Kin (+20 Soak versus Cold & Frost), Minor Magic Focus in Frost and Ice, -1 Reckless), +1 Animal Ken, +1 Improved Characteristics, +1 Mastered Spells, +1 Piercing Gaze (disquieting light blue eyes), +1 Skinchanger (Lynx), +1 Special Circumstances (cold environment), +1 Wilderness Sense
Flaws: -3 Major Malediction (cursed to eventually become more giant-like and less human), -3 Weak Magic Resistance (hot places), -1 Close Family Ties, -1 Deleterious Circumstances (hot environment), -1 Incompatible Arts (CrHe & CrIg), -1 Magical Animal Companion (Winter Wolf)
Acquired Virtues & Flaws: (listed in order acquired; T = Twilight, M = Mystery, S = Story) -T Delusion (to represent his alternate personality)
Personality Traits (as Marcellus): Reckless +3, Loyal +2, Love for Family +3
Personality Traits (as Glacius): Dispassionate and Cold +1, Calculating +1, Brave +0, Loyal +0, Love for Family +1
Reputations:
Combat:
Dodge:
Grapple/Fistfight:
Knife:
Soak: +
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wounds: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Andorra Lore 3 (the covenant), Animal Ken 2 (mammals), Artes Liberales 1 (logic), Athletics 2 (run), Brawl 3 (dodge), Code of Hermes 1 (spoils rights), Concentration 1 (combat), Faerie Lore 1 (etiquette), Finesse 3 (Corpus), France Lore 1 (Occitain), Folk Ken 4 (storytelling), Hunt 4 (large prey), Iberian Lore 2 (adventure), Latin 4 (Hermetic), Leadership 1 (intimidate), Magic Lore 2 (big creatures), Magic Theory 6 (spells), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (House Flambeau), N Occitain 5 (Catalan), Parma Magica 5 (Corpus), Penetration 3 (Aquam), Provencal Lore 1 (magi), Pyrenees Lore 2 (wildlife), Ride 2 (wolves), Single Weapon 4 (mace), Spanish 3 (Castilian), Stealth 2 (natural areas), Survival 2 (mountains), Swim 1 (rivers), Thrown Weapons 1 (rocks), Wilderness Sense 2 (winter)
Arts: Cr 5, In 4 (2), Mu 9, Pe 6, Re 5, An 7, Aq 7, Au 4, Co 7, He 2, Ig 6, Im 4, Me 2, Te 5, Vi 4
Twilight Scars & Effects: (7 points)
Failed to comprehend a Twilight Episode (7), caused by (something); Gained Delusion (to represent the Glacius personality that sometimes emerges), Scar is that his exhaling breaths are cold and misty when this persona is dominant.
Mythic Blood Power: ReIg30 Gift of Yimr’s Kin; R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
You are perfectly happy in the middle of a blizzard or wintry phenomena. Its temperature simply does not affect you. The cold there feels (at most) like a welcome chill. This spell provides a +20 soak bonus versus any kind of cold. Cold sources doing +20 damage or less simply do not affect you at all. This renders the maga effectively immune to cold damage unless hit by extremely powerful magic. By using this spell you do not even need to use hot clothes in winter.
(Base 4. +2 sun, +4 for 20 damage)
Magic Sigil:
Symbolic Sigil:
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0
Laboratory: The only way to access Marcellus’ Sanctum and Lab is to use the door designated such, locates in the basement of (one of the many towers of the castle). This door is actually a Mercere Portal, leading into the Ice Cavern of Andorra, embedded deep within the mountain. It is constantly zero degrees or colder, plus the ice is extremely hard and never melts. Marcellus feels comfortable in the cold environment. It also has a very high ceiling as part of its construction, which is useful for experiments in growing tall. It is theorized that Mount Arans (the specific part of Andorra that the covenant is located in) is a “Ice Volcano”, having an ice core as opposed to a magma core. However, that would not explain why the village and surrounding area is so pleasantly temperate, abnormally so considering their altitude.
Characteristics: Magic Aura 5, Size +1, Refinement +2, General Quality +2, Upkeep +6, Safety +3, Warping +1, Health -3, Aesthetics +3
Specializations: +7 Spells, +1 Texts, +2 Rego, +2 Muto, +1 Aquam, +1 Corpus
Virtues: +0 Ice Cavern, +0 Superior Construction, +0 Precious Ingredients, +0 Superior Equipment, +0 Superior Tools, +0 Magically Superior Lighting, +0 Spacious, +1 Well Insulated, +1 Lesser Expansion, +1 Living Quarters, +1 Specimens-Ogre & Giant Bones, +3 Greater Feature-Spell Circle
Flaws: -3 Greater Focus-Spell Circle, -1 Impregnable, -0 Disorganized, -0 Uneven Floor (ice)
Magic Items: ?
Spells Known: Many spells are modified by +1 Magnitude to be able to affect large targets (up to Size +3). This is mainly meant for Corpus spells that affect himself, or for his accoutrements. Some spells are alternate versions two magnitudes higher, in order to accommodate him up to size +6. The wiser strategy would be to cast the regular spell on yourself before growing, but that is not always an option. Spells marked with an * indicate that they fall within the scope of his Magic Focus (Ice and Frost).
[i]CrAn15 Touch of the Weaver[i]
CrAn20 Soothe pains of the beast
CrAn30 Forester’s Tunic
CrAn35 Call of the Wolf Pack
MuAn15 Doublet of impenetrable silk
MuAn25 Giant Doublet of impenetrable silk
PeAn10 The Nakedness of the Warrior
PeAn15 Agony of the Beast Mastered 1, Penetration
PeAn20 Rip The Beast Mastered 2; Penetration, Amplify
PeAn25 Falcon’s Hood Mastered 1, Penetration
PeAn25 Agony of the Great Beast Mastered 1, Penetration
PeAn35 Giant Falcon’s Hood
*CrAq15 Hammer of the Winter Peaks Mastered 2; Penetration, Fast Cast
*CrAq(Re)15 Winter’s Bite Mastered 1; Penetration
*CrAq20 Ice Cage
*CrAq(Pe/Re/Ig/Te)20 Winter has Come R: Voice
*CrAq(Mu/Pe)35 Armour of Ice R: Per, D: Diam, T: Ind
*CrAu15 Frosty Persona
InAu15 True sight of the air
MuCo5 Eyes of the Cat
MuCo15 Disguise of the New Visage
MuCo25 Endurance of the Berserkers
MuCo25 Gift of Bear’s Fortitude
MuCo25 Ymir’s Child Mastered 1; Fast Cast
ReCo10 Rise of the Feathery Body
ReCo15 Leap of the Lynx (aka Gift of Frog’s Legs)
*ReCo15 Stance of the Winter Lord
ReCo20 Rise of the Giant Body
ReCo25 Giant’s Jump Mastered 1; Fast Cast
ReCo30 Leap of Homecoming
InHe15 Intuition of the Forest
MuHe5 Free pass of the Unyielding Portal
*PeIg10 Winter’s Icy Touch
*PeIg20 Wizard’s Touch of ColdMastered 3; Flex to Voice, Penetration, Amplify
PeIg20 Soothe the Raging Flames.
*PeIg25 Conjuration of Indubitable Cold
*PeIg30 Wizard’s Icy Grip
ReIg25 Ward against Heat and Flames
InIm5 Prying Eyes
MuIm10 Aura of Ennobled Presence
MuIm10 Aura of Beguiling Appearance
MuIm10 Aura of Childlike Innocence
PeIm15 Invisibility of the Standing Wizard
PeIm15 Silence of the Smoothened Sound
InTe15 Intuition of the Mountain.
InTe15 Eyes of the Treacherous Terrain
InTe25 Tracks of Faerie Glow
ReTe10 Sling of Vilano Mastered 1; Multicast
ReTe10 The Unseen Porter
ReTe10 Unravel the treacherous barrier
InVi5 Scales of Magical Weight
InVi5 Sense the Nature of Vis
InVi5 Delightful notes of Power
ReVi15 Gather the Essence of the Beast
InVi30 Sense of the Lingering Magic

New Spells
[i]CrAn15 Touch of the Weaver[i] R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
As Weaver’s Trap of Webs, except that it affects only a single touched individual

CrAn35 Call of the Wolf Pack R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind
Conjures a pack of wolves surrounding you, each touching you &/or another. They will obey your commands as if trained hounds for as long as you concentrate.
(Base 15, +1M Touch, +1M Conc, +1M multiple individuals, +1M Rego Requisite

CrAn30 Forester’s Tunic R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
Creates a wool tunic, which can accommodate him from his normal size up to size +6. It is a modest garment, none too fancy (no need for a Finesse roll, the option to fancy it up is traded off in the flexibility in size).
(Base 5, +1M Touch, +2M Sun, +2M Size)

MuAn25 Giant Doublet of impenetrable silk Variant to accommodate up to size +6

PeAn10 The Nakedness of the Warrior
Destroys all garments made of animal products worn by a target individual. This will pretty much destroy most armour, causing whatever metal elements may remain to fall to the ground useless. Chain Mail and Metal Scale remain, but they loose their padding and undershirt and become uncomfortable. Reduce their protection by one half (parts fall off because of lost buckles, no padding means no protection from impact damage, and so on).
(Base 4, +2M Voice)

PeAn25 Agony of the Great Beast Mastered 1, Penetration
Variant, affecting beasts up to Size +6

*CrAq15 Hammer of the Winter Peaks Mastered 1; Penetration
R: Touch, D: Diam, T: Ind
Creates a rough large weapon (a mace) made of (really hard) ice. +1size modifier (can be used by +3 ogre). Cannot be parried under normal circumstances.
(Base 4, +1M Touch, +1M Diameter, base level already covers volume and unnatural shapefor his normal size and up to size +3, +1M to accommodate up to size +6)

CrAq15 Winter’s Bite Mastered 1; Penetration
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
Requisite: Rego
Creates a large, sharpened sliver of extra hardened ice, then propels it with enough force to inflict +10 Damage to the target you strike with it. This requires a successful aiming roll using Finesse, but the advantage is the reduction of a magnitude.
(Base 4, +1M extra hardened ice, +1M Touch, +1M Requisite)

*CrAq20 Ice Cage
R: Voice, D: Sun, T: Ind
Surrounds up to an ogre-sized target in ice (size +3). The creature does not die from suffocating (the ice is permeable enough and contains enough air) but it is difficult to break free by oneself.
(Base 4, +2M Voice, +2M Sun, base level already covers volume and unnatural shape)

CrAq20 Winter has Come R: Voice
Requisites: Perdo, Rego, Ignem, Terram
Freezes the ground surrounding the magus, up to an area 50 paces diameter. The ground is coated with thick, slippery ice. It is very difficult to stand on, let alone fight on it!
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Diameter, +2 Size, +1 Requisites enhance effect)

CrAq(Mu/Pe)35 Armour of Ice R: Per, D: Diam, T: Ind
Coats his body in thick ice. This coating is hard and shock absorbent, yet flexible and virtually weightless. This grants him a +8 protection bonus; and it would inflict +10 cold damage per round, except he is exceptionally resistant to cold. The size modifier accommodates him from normal to giant sizes.
(Base 4, +2 Sun, +2M size, +3 Complexity, +1M Requisites enhance effect)

*CrAu15 Frosty Persona R: Per, D: Conc, T: Ind
Causes a frost blizzard centered on the magus. 50 paces around him.
(Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Unnatural, +1 Concentration)

MuCo25 Ymir’s Child Mastered 1; Fast Cast
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
Casting Requisites apply for clothing and equipment
Increases your Size by up to +6 points (though you may settle for a smaller increment if you choose). Casting Requisites allow you to change the size of your clothing and equipment as well. Like many shapeshifting spells, you can change back to normal size by concentration and symbolically removing some object used in casting the spell.
(Base 3 to grow to size +1, +2M to grow to up to size +6, +1M vary amount of actual growth, +2M Sun, +1M requisites allow clothing and equipment to change as well)

*ReCo15 Stance of the Winter Lord
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
Movement unaffected by frozen ground or snow. It does not impair movement in any way. Even deep snow does not prevent the magus from moving around as if it was not there. The level is one Magnitude higher than it normally would be, in order to accommodate him up to size +5.
(Base 4, +2M Sun, +1M Size)

ReCo20 Rise of the Giant body
Variant of Rise of the Feathery body, accommodating him up to size +6

ReCo25 Giant’s Jump Mastered 1; Fast Cast
As Wizard’s Leap, accommodating him up to size +6

PeIg40 Frosty Kiss of Death R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Ind
Requisites: Creo Auram
A blast of freezing arctic wind blasts down upon the target area, inflicting +20 cold damage. This will freeze the target solid if it kills them.
(Base 20, +2M Voice, +2M Group, Requisites necessary for effect)

PeIm15 Silence of the Smoothened Sound
Destroy ability to utter sound species.

InTe15 Intuition of the Mountain.
Like intuition of the forest, but in mountains

InTe15 Sense the treacherous barrier
Detect traps.
(Base 4, +1M conc, +2M voice)

ReTe10 Unravel the treacherous barrier
Disarm traps & locks.
(Base 3, +1M conc, +2M voice)

InVi5 Delightful notes of Power
Detect Vis. L1, +3 hearing, +1 conc

Background:
The Magus known as Marcellus (and sometimes as Glacius) was originally a small, scary child from the Girona area named Pere (Peter). He really was a good natured lad, though his Gift caused people unease and caused them to think he had a cold, mean streak. He felt most at ease outdoors, especially in the winter and even in a snowstorm. However,, he felt ill at ease indoors, especially during the winter when the fire was blazing. In truth this had little to do with the season or his location. It was due to temperature.

He is not quite a feral child, but when he was only seven years old, his father took him for a walk in the forest and “lost” him. This was in autumn, and come winter he found himself lost and alone, but surviving. He then discovered that he had the power to speak with the animals, but they were just as uneasy about him as humans were. That was until he was discovered by the great Winter Wolf Grey-Paw, who adopted the scared child as his own (a seven year old child is not creative with names, and the wolf’s true name is a specific vocal inflection that canines can make but humans find difficult).

Grey Paw was the father and pack leader of a family of magical winter wolves. He is the largest and most powerful of this pack of beasts of virtue (he is Size +1 and has a Magic Might of 15). Pere lived with the wolves for several years, doing stuff that the wolves couldn't. When he was 11, a party of humans came to hunt down the wolves. They had been preying on their livestock. Accompanying them was Jean of Montfort, a Jerbiton magus. He saw the boy, and how he (without even knowing what he was doing) performed some minor tricks in the middle of the winter landscape to confuse the humans and help the wolves: he had found a Gifted child. Since he controlled the hunting party, he decided to spare the magical beasts and centre on the kid instead. The party was tracked back by the wolves, though, even if he gave strict orders to the grogs not to kill the beasts. As long as Grey Paw saw that Pere was being well treated, he did nothing too blatant, since he had appreciated the power of Jean. After his mate had passed, Grey-Paw passed alpha status to his eldest son and moved along with Marcellus as he grew up. The great wolf has not noticeable aged at all.

The child proved to be quite difficult to control and too aggressive, so he traded him away to a Flambeau magus at Andorra that called his new apprentice "a pussycat without any real fire in his veins". That worked for both magi, as Pere also happens to have no fire in his veins. He has ice there. He developed a knack for Cold & Ice magic and Self Transformation. That suited the temperament of his father rather well, even if their areas of interest did not match completely. Arcturus of Flambeau is a rather liberal mage, that as long as your magic is oriented towards combat and adventure, it was OK to play to the strengths of his apprentice. Marcellus was "his first" and he was more liberal with that first kid than he would have been if he had had other children before.

He graduated his Gauntlet by hunting down and killing an ogre. He did that with a spell he had been developing to become ogre-sized himself to challenge the ogre on equal footing. After that he joined Andorra as a full fledged magus, and his parens moved on to a covenant in the Levant. Since then, Marcellus has travelled extensively through the Iberian, Provençal and Normandy tribunal in his 20 years as a magus. He has even gone to Loch Leglean to speak with the giants there

Marcellus favours Cold, Ice and Self Transformation (growing and becoming giant-like), which explains his interest in highland giants. From them, he learned to Shapeshift into a lynx as a Skinchanger, and he learned about the nature of his Mythic Blood. However, he also learned that he is cursed to eventually become a Frost Giant. One day would eventually come when he would kill a frost giant and take his place, such was his destiny as one of Ymir’s kin. It was cast in fate and he could not undo such thing regardless of his intentions. The next magical botches just seemed to confirm this, since he saw how his body became ice-like for a while after a twilight episode, and he has grown a little in some recent botches. He tried to dismiss it as consequences of his MuCo and CrAq areas of expertise, but he cannot hide the fact that frost giants are large, and made of ice themselves. He tries to be cheerful, but what would happen to his soul if he had to become a magical giant has been bothering him for a while. Specially since the giant of the Pyrenees is an ice giant and he knows he will encounter it (even if he hopes not to kill it) eventually.

ummm, For Marcellus, 55 spells and 960 levels??? Seems to me in order to achieve that many spells (especially with a fair number invented) a magus would need more than 10 years worth of lab seasons alone.

Oh and the core of mountain can't be ice as that is where I planned to have Dragan's lab and it will definitely have a river of magma in it.

The math works. I crunched some hardcore numbers to make it work, but it works. He took a lot of his lab-text spells in two at a time.

Sorry Dragan, no magma. I do not believe that their is any volcanic activity in the Pyranees. Even so, if you really want magma, I need you to go down really deep, not up.

As far as it being an Ice volcano, that is actually untrue. There is just a huge ice chunk inside the mountain for an unknown reason.

maybe some magma, I dunno, but really deep down. But it doesn't fit my concept much at all, what with the other side of the mountain being infested by faeries of cold and darkness and such, down in caverns.

As for Marcellus, working from Xavi's wish list, this is the exact accounting of what I did

Bulk Development:
Year 1: 40xps
Years 2-6: 200 xps
Year 7: Construct & Refine Lab, Install Virtues & Flaws
Year 8: four seasons in Lab; Longevity Potion (LT 28), and 3 seasons of spells.
Year 9-14: twenty-four seasons in the lab learning spells
Year 15 to 20: 240xps
Modifications: Three seasons of activity can be fit in anywhere, to add a few spells or bind a familiar or enchant an object, etceteras (I kicked off some redundant spells that weren’t even on your list). And, of course, feel free to swap anything out as you desire.

He glommed multiple spells per season. For example, he took two or three MuCo spells at a time. You can accomplish multiple lab activities in a season as long as they are of the same Technique & Form.

I looked it up, and I was wrong. There is evidence of volcanic activity in the recent past in Catalonia (geologic time recent), and there are hot springs (which the Alps lacks). So I suppose volcanic activity is totally feasible.

I myself still prefer if it was down underground, and not towards the peak though.

Hmm I thought I was writing in English, but lets try again.

The Entrance is near the summit. The lab/sanctum itself is accessed down a 2000 to 3000 meter smooth sided shaft inscribed with powerful ring spells. the shaft then opens out in the ceiling of a high vaulted cavern deep in the heart of the mountain wherein an island of stone sits surrounded by a circular river of lava.

Anyone trying to get in without permit will plummet to their death in the lava or be killed in the shaft on the way down. either way, no body will be left to be found.

Note: Trying to send spirits in will only provoke wizards war Vort, so go ahead if you want to be hunted down by a sodale :wink:

As for Marcellus, I guess the numbers work but you're essentially saying he was nothing more than a total lab rat for most of his post gauntlet years. Doesn't strike me as in keeping with Marcellus' adventurous character, but whatever. Just seems that he has more spells for every contingency than the entire order combined lol.

War? Why... of course.

But you can't make such a total statement like that and not expect it to simply provoke the daring amongst us to at least 'try' at some point. Success or not, who knows. You seem fairly confident. That is usually a bad sign for the intruder. But it isn't a foolproof indicator, so to speak. :smiley:

RE Vortigern's character

This looks much better to me, although I'm not going to crunch the seasonal XP math as I don't have time... the number of Virtues/Flaws seems to balance better and make more sense - I think Cthonic magic fits (even though it's not a Titanoi Mystery Virtue it's easy enough to justify) although my comments about Leadworker still apply (not a Titanoi Virtue, Tremere association etc).

I'm not sure about the (Cthonic) after 2 of the "Coerce the Spirit of..." spells - does this mean you used the Goetic Spell Mastery option on RoP:tI page 124 to allow you to add one of your Goetic Arts (presumably Commanding) to your PeVi totals for these? I would consider this for the Fellblade spell in this case also.

Not sure if you need to spread out all those XP into Bargain/Charm/Etiquette/Guile/Leadership for what is a Blatantly Gifted, Wrathful, Proud character who spends most of his time dealing with spirits - sure Leadership and Bargain might be useful but you may want to concentrate things a bit more here and rely on your spirits (eg Matthias for the other Abilities (Charm, Etiquette, Guile) as previously discussed.

As to the spirits - great background! Hopefully you have access to ArM5 Covenants p42-55 or this won't make much sense (contact me if this is the case).

Use the example for the Ghostly Warder grog on p55 as an idea (10 Might, 300 XP on abilities, can't learn, has Invisibility and Insubstantiality and perhaps one other minor power), then swap the Abilities & V/F blocks with other grog templates as a start:

• Matthias - use the Loremaster or Political Agent template
  • Valkian & Co. - Might 5, use the Burglar template and modify slightly for each of the dozen gang members to give each a minor sneaky" specialty. No added powers above basic ghost powers.
  • Araris - use the Weaponmaster template or substitute with the Legionaire from HoH:TL to give the make ghostly weapons substantial power as he's your bodyguard spirit.
  • Ordobos & Yasmine - use the Aerial Power template from RoP;tI but make them different realms. Might 20-25 or whatever is close to the max you can now comfortably summon/command. Altenratively use the Jinn example from hoH:Scoietas and switch Realms/elements.

More later,

Lachie

It is that direct access to lava I am not liking. I want there to be twists and turns at least.
And Xavi wasn't a lab rat. I chose not to do detailed character creation. Some xps were gained from adventure. The spells could have theoretically een spread out (I didn't use the whole lab total each time). Basically I used the easy bbulk method that I keep on reccomending to the rest of you. BBut I won't take away your fun :LOL:, use ultra details if you want

Some of us need the detail to keep our already addled minds focussed.

I am puzzled how you can achieve mutliple lab activities in one season without using (as you say above) the whole lab total. Its already pretty tenuous with a full lab total to have double the level in all desired spells (to achieve in one season of course) than to try it without the full total.

But Ive neither the energy nor the focus to do the math. Let him have his christmas list. Likely the entirety of House Bonisagus is out hunting for him for laboratory study anyways :wink:

Can you clarify this? There will be no direct access to lava from the surface of the mountain. The lava is merely a river in a circular trench of sorts flowing around the mesa that serves as the lab. It isn't volcanic (i.e. rising or under pressure) in any way.