Table Talk - Development

The default ArM5 assumption is that a familiar can be found for your highest Art combo. So you could have Muto, Perdo, Rego - whatever. The thing to do is to think of them as representing the powers and nature of the familiar, not the bond. So it's easy to come up with a King of Wolves familiar for Rego, or just about any predator for Perdo, and so on. I don't see this as a problem at all. (My own magus plans on binding a spirit with ReVi, but certainly not to control said spirit! It is, rather, a spirit of Rego Vim, a spirit that in large parts summons and commands other spirits.)

It already is: you get a +5 each for Te and Fo. Another possibility is Transformation, which magic characters can do with any kind of XP's. Mark does still want to try out ArM4-style bond qualities, but I'm skeptical, since it may be redundant.

I'm not sure if it's anything like what you're looking for, but have you thought f a fox?

The Terram seems fine, but I'm not sure about the Creo. Rego seems to fit for any powerful creature.

Scott

Alright, here is a version of Propolos. I have to admit I tried to make him at least close to the power of the other theurgists, and failed. And I even cheated in that I used "detailed character creation" to get almost all his spells for one season each - I just don't see any way for Propolos to come anywhere near the other theurgists in terms of power otherwise. He still falls short, and as you can see it's not like he exactly has lots of spells - he's still missing some basic protective spells, for example. I also assumed binding the familiar and attuning the talisman each took a season (10 xp) too; highly optimistic, I guess. Since he was missing some uumph to develop one spell, I gave it a side effect. (For some spells he needs a few extra points, I assumed he got the Matron to help him on those or something - I was playing a bit fast and loose; see here for the gory details.) I also created a rather iffy way for my spirit familiar to affect the world (and the lab, if she wants to assist Propolos...) - an effect that created glass tendrils she can control. Propolos also was initiated into Theurgic Spirit Familiar, gaining Visions as an ordeal - which means he had a Weakness for good food as a child. I didn't give him any Longevity Ritual. I didn't gave him any House Acclaim (yet?). Hmmm. That's about it, I think. With all those caveats, he's at 802 XP post gauntlet.

Is this acceptable, or do I need to cut into the flesh and drop him down a peg or two? Any suggestions on how to change/improve the character? What to do about the missing elements, like a Longevity Ritual or House Acclaim?

Warning - Wall Of Text!

Propolos of Flambeau, at 20 post-Gauntlet
Year: ?
Free Virtues:: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Puissant Finesse
Major Virtues: Mercurian Magic

Minor Virtues: Affinity with Vim, Minor Magical Focus (magical spirits), Inoffensive to Magical Beings, Premonitions, Great Communication, Improved Characteristics, Hermetic Theurgy, Theurgic Spirit Familiar (Mystery [10 xp])

Major Flaws: Necessary Condition (invoke gods), Pagan

Minor Flaws: Warped Magic (chaos), Vow (to Cult of Mercury), Visions (Ordeal [-5 xp]), Obese [-1 to move quickly and -3 to Fatigue rolls], Weakness (gourmet food)

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre 0, Com +4, Str -1, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qui 0
Abilities: [childhood 45+75; later life 75; apprenticeship 120; later life 800 in all categories]

Athletics 2

Brawl 2

Occitan (Alpine) 5

Charm 2

Animal Handling 2 15 XP

Bargain 3 30

Folk Ken 1 5

Profession: Merchant 2 15

Alps Area Lore 1 5

Etiquette 1 5

Parma Magica 3 30

Artes Liberales 2 15

Latin 4 50

Magic Theory (Spirits) 4 50

Cult of Mercury Lore 3 30

Philosophiae 1 5

Finesse 4+2 50

Magic Lore 1 5

Premonitions 4 45

Penetration 2 15

True Name (the Matron, Hipta, Pukis)12

Spell Mastery 20

Magic Lore 2 12 [3 from learning True Names]

Philsosophiae 2 15

Craft: Cook 2 15

Arts []: In 10 [55], Mu 6 [21], Re 20 [210], Co 1 [1], Im 0 [], Me 10 [55], Te 10 [55], Vi 20 [140]

Spells []:

Summon the Spirit of Magic ReVi 25 (B15, +2 voice); Casting +65 (1 Sta +20 Re +20 Vi +20 focus +4 Isis)

Gather the Essence of the Spirit ReVi 20 (B10, +2 voice); Casting +65 (+4 staff)

Aegis of the Hearth ReVi 20; Casting +41

Wizard’s Communion MuVi 20 (B) [FREE from Mercurian Magic] | Mastery 1 (Adaptive Casting); Casting +28

Greater Sling of Vilano ReTe 15 (B10, +1 touch) [+10 damage] | Mastery 1 (multicast), Casting +35 (+4 staff)

The Crystal Dart Mu(Re)Te 15 (B3, +2 voice, +1 req.) [+10 damage]; Casting +17

Wizard’s Sidestep ReIm 10 [+9 defense]; Casting +21

Lifting the Dangling Puppet ReCo 15; Casting +26 (+4 staff)

Invoke the Pact of the Matron ReVi 35 [10 xp]; Casting +65

Invoke the Pact of Hipta ReVi 30 [10 xp]; Casting +65

Calling Forth the Spirit of Magic ReVi 35 (As Summon, R:Arcane) [10 xp]; Casting +65

Ananke’s Blessing ReVi 40 (B30, +2 sun) (Personal ward against Magical spirits) [10 xp]. Side Effect: Separation from the spirit world hamper’s Propolos magic; he suffers a -3 to all casting totals. ; Casting +65

Don the (Magical) Corporeal Veil ReVi 20 (B5, +2 voice, +1 diameter) (Force spirit to use the power) [10 xp]; Casting +65

Tearing the Flesh of the Mother ReTe 40 (up to +20 damage) [10 xp] | Mastery 2 (Multicast, Fast-cast); Casting +37

Theurgic Spirit Familiar: The Matron (Might 30 [Te+Fo is 60 with focus] from TMRE p. ?)
Bond Lab Total: 70 (2 Int +5 Magic Theory +3 aura +20 Re +20 Vi+ 20 focus), needs 55 [TMRE p. 67]
Cords: Gold/Hermes +2 [15 points], Silver/Isis +4 [50], Bronze/Hekate +1 [5]. Hermes adds to Enigmatic Wisdom, Isis to Spirits Lab/Casting Totals, Hekate transfers energy.
Effects Invested in the Bond:
Grasping Ectoplasm: This strange power manifests as a chaotic mess of glass tendrils that grow from the Matron’s body when shes chooses, grasping faintly at objects and moving them before dissipating back into ectoplasm. The strands cannot bear significant weight, and each grows and dissipates into nothingness within a few moments - or when she ceases to concentrate on its action. CrTe(Re) 15 (B3, +1 touch, +1 concentration, +1 item maintains, +1 rego), created with base Lab Total 20 (2 Int +5 Magic Theory +3 aura +0 Cr +10 Te). [10 xp]
Shared Senses: This standard bond power allows Propolos to see through the eyes of the Matron, allowing him to see other spirits amongst other things. InMe 30 (B15, +1 touch, +1 concentration, +1 item maintains), created with base Lab total 40 (2 Int +5 Magic Theory +3 aura +10 In +10 Me +10 focus). [30 xp]

Talisman: A wizard’s staff [large wood, 8 pawns], with three more components yet to be determined.
Attunements: Control things at a distance +4
Sense the Nature and Amount of Vis InVi 20 (B4, +1 touch, +1 how much, +10 unlimited frequency), with base Lab Total 39 (2 Int +4 Magic Theory +3 aura +10 In +20 Vi). [10 xp]

Laboratory: None yet. Old one in the Alps tribunal, now belongs to his former covenant.

Notes: +10 XP for binding familiar, +10 xp for preparing talisman. Overall 802 post-Gauntlet XP expanded.

blink Really? How did I miss that?!? And where do I find out about Transformation?

Foxes seem less Terram-oriented than bears, but they are pretty cool. Unfortunately the personality would be drastically different and Eric has already characterised the +3 Sloth and +3 Greedy pretty strongly :slight_smile:

After picking some powers I swapped it to Intellego. With the Study Bonus added to everything, I dropped Creo down from 16 to 15 and bumped Intellego from 12 to 15, and pulled the extra two points difference out of Terram. To make up for the 1 pt short my lab total falls (figured it's not prudent to experiment on binding your familiar...) I changed my MT specialty from spell invention to Terram.

I don't know enough about Theurgy to really evaluate Propolos, but I'd be inclined to say that a familiar that can directly manipulate the substance of magic wouldn't necessarily need to interact with it physically (and as far as game balance is concerned, a spirit already has the disadvantage of not being able to help physically in combat).

Scott

Transformation is on the last page of the Magical Characters chapter of RoP: Magic. That being said, Mark does want to test out some bond qualities rules--we'll have to wait and see what those are gonna look like.

Even as someone who likes to experiment just to roll the experiment dice, I would never experiment on a familiar.

Scott

I am trying to figure a way you can take him a peg up instead of down.
Off the top of my head, I think your Parma and Magic Theory are too low for your age. I think you went overboard on Arts (a common syndrome I have noticed), and taking two of those 20's down to 19 would give you four more seasons to develop the spells you are missing.

But I also noticed you were working with an Aura of only 3. I let most others use an Aura of 5. Use that, and redistribute some Arts to be better rounded.
Do you have Order of Hermes Lore?

Haha yes, don't pull a Titus and forget to take it... :blush:

I'm with Arya on this one. I say that anyone with a Familiar should pass off control to another player ( or the SG if they can't find another player ). However this rule would need to be applied across the board to all familiars, period.

Yeah, there's just no fun in roleplaying your own best friend.

Agreed. Plus it gets players involved in stories that they might not otherwise have anything to do with. Which is always a good thing, ya know?

Well, that's up to the SG, but I wouldn't say that the Matron necessarily has the mojo to affect laboratory work. It can do magic, but it can't aid in the laboratory per se. Not without a power/invested effect. As for game balance - sure, spirits have a down-side, but they have up-sides too (like providing Second Sight, effectively). And they cost a Mystery. Well, OK, I have no idea how all of that balances out.

Heh, yeah, that's a problem...

No Order of Hermes Lore. Nor (Area) Lores or social skills beyond what he essentially started with, nor Profession: Scribe... yeah, pathetic. He did pick up Cook 2, at least.

How high do you think his Parma and Magic Theory need to be? I wanted a +1 in each, but had to lower them to save some XP.

Propolos has the Arts he has (2 20s) for two reasons: (a) he needs this to bind with a Might 30 spirit, according to the guidelines; you can say the Matron would agree to bind with less, however, of course; and (b) I wanted to match the power-level of the other two theurgists, as Titus has Pe & Vi at 20 and Ludo has Re & Vi at 20.

I'll lower his two top Arts somewhat, and see if I could use that to add all the missing stuff.

Titus, a theurgist? Heh... right... Actually Spirits and all that lovely goodness is all Ludo's department. Titus is an Apromorian heavily focused on PeVi for the sole purpose of destroying things with Magic.

You could always consider taking a virtue like Book Learner and perhaps say initiating Hermetic Theurgy? Would give you... like what 120xp I think is what Marko decided?

It depends on how independent the familiar is--if the familiar is weak and not very independent, it may just make things annoying to have to wait for another player to post. Plus, of course, you get a trade-off there for power levels.

Scott

Power level is not an issue in this saga.

Scott, I am thinking if everyone is doing it, Constantine should to. It will give Viola the opportunity for more interaction rather than being quietly incomprehensible all the time. If posting-rate is a concern, I will volunteer for the part. Everyone should be allowed to choose who plays their Familiar. I know this may not have been your original plan, but I think it could work out to be a really cool idea, and really open up the possibilities for different stories for Viola.

Well, fellow member of the Cult of Mercury, at least... Someone I was comparing my stats against, basically. And coming up way short.

Yes, picking up Book Learner or something like that could certainly help with getting the XP. Although, he could be initiated into Potent Magic or Affinity or something, too... Hmm.....

Ah. Well Titus is just meant to hit stuff... Hard. He's about a subtle as an atomic bomb, ya know? But whatcha expect from a hoplite?

Potent Magic in Magic Realm Spirit really fits nicely. Then you have the whole candles / summoning circle bit going on, classic.

I seem to be one of the only ones who, if anything, went Ability-heavy in my development. There always seems to be something else that Vares needs to learn more about (e.g. Theology or Area Lore or Alchemy Lore or finally pick up either Arabic or Greek or build up his Magic Theory or work on his Penetration or... ad infinitum) that he hasn't been spending nearly as much on his Arts nor on his spells as he should be. Though in a peculiar way he resembles a Jerbiton Classicist searching for "the better life".

I've been spending a lot of time visualising Vares' Familiar. I don't know of anyone here whom I could count on to play her as envisioned. Brilliant. Regal. Ancient and ageless at the same time. A being out of time who has been watching the world from afar. I continue to go over the appropriate section of the book as I'm working on developing her.

Incidentally, I was greatly impressed by the Magical Cats. That was a fine piece of work by the writer(s).

As a dog person, I find the blatant bias towards cats to be offensive and inappropriate!!!!!111one

I actually liked the birds a lot. Didn't care much for the cats.